Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198592 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Last night the Wolves ran down a Kurita force . . .

The set up was for a escalation tournament to test things- build a 5k force, add another 5k and eventually another 5k.  Grand total is 15k eventually, scoring is still being worked out but bonus for killing a commander (undisclosed before game, gives init bonus) and it will have other things like attack/defend HQ.  Pilot skills to be included in the BV and units had to be faction specific for the MUL at the Jihad.

Warden Wolf 1st 5K-  5063
Nova Cat C     3/5
Phantom H     3/5
Roc 3            4
Roc 3            4
Roc 3            4
Roc 3            4
Satyr 3         4

2nd 5K-  makes it 10006
Morrigu (Laser)  4/6
Heimdall A         4/6
Hellion E            3/5

Started off spread along my edge with the pair of tanks in the center set to drive up on a Level 1 hill with some light woods, to the right was the Nova Cat and the 4 Roc 3s.  On the left, set to flank down the side through woods and avoid the road & hills were the Phantom H, Hellion E and Satyr 3.  My opposition placed his Phoenix Hawk 7K supported by two Kanazuchi (Upgrade), his center was a Avatar Prime, Blackjack OC & Sunder OE with a Royal Stalker farther out than my line.  All the Drac pilots except the Blackjack (a 2) were 3 gunners and I am not sure of their piloting skill except it was not as helpful.

Turn 1 was a bit of position jockeying with the Avatar swinging out to help the PXH & BA hold the flank.  Every shot wiffed, even some decent numbers on the Morrigu's ERLL.

My point of armor continued on the hill to take firing positions in light woods though almost directly in front near the middle of the map was a L2 hill.  The Nova Cat also crested the hill in front of it which placed a patch of heavy woods between it and the Stalker but left fields of fire to the other Drac mechs open though it had some partial cover.  Having won initiative my speedsters waited while the Rocs fanned out as a screen in front of the armor and a single on running to the right to go outside the Stalker.  The single Satyr 3 ran up behind the Avatar Prime which advanced along my left edge but placed a row of heavy woods between it and the armor & Nova Cat.  The Drac Pixie ran to form a bit of a conga by putting its back to the edge and to the left of the Satyr 3 which had it facing the Avatar's back 2 hexes away.  My Hellion E ran through a gap in the woods to place itself between the Pixie and pair of Kanazuchi- I thought they were the regulars so I made sure to stay beyond 3 hexes.  My last move ran the Phantom H up directly behind his Avatar Prime but not facing it to enable it to keep running if it survived incoming fire and the PXH kick.  So this is turn 2 and its about to get brutal in the firing phase.

Three of the Roc 3s cannot fire, LOS blocked by being behind hills.  I open the ball with my Phantom H- I needed a 3 for the MPL and 6s for the SHL into the back.  MPL hit, and IIRC 5 of the SHL . . . opened up the back, got a engine hit after putting 2 SHL into the CTR.  Morrigu hit it with a ERLL or two, Heimdall missed on its ER ATMs against the Blackjack, I forget what the Nova Cat scored armor damage on (PXH?), Satyr 3 missed, and single Roc 3 missed.  The Hellion E connected with a AP Gauss and HML against the PXH but took a beating in return, losing a arm to the Sunder's Snubbie and Kanazuchi SPPC.  The PXH and Avatar both missed their PSRs which put them on the ground.  The Phantom did not try to kick the PXH, movement is its life after all but the Satyr did frenzy the fallen Avatar for a single (yay!) point of damage.

Lost initiative so time to move on, the Morrigu moved up on the hill for a better firing position while the Heimdall stayed in its light woods.  The Nova Cat moved to put the heavy woods on the L2 hill to its right, still blocking LOS from the Stalker.  Three of the Roc 3 moved into position in front of the Avatar which stood up and into the heavy woods.  The Satyr 3 moved out to be in short range of the Blackjack OC which had some off the hill to cross the dip the road had cut between hills and the last Roc 3 had gotten outside the Stalker on my right though it was using 2 hexes of light woods as blocker terrain.  The Phantom H ran up behind the Sunder OE and the Hellion E used MASC to run along the ridge above the road but behind the Blackjack to move 4 or so hexes from the Stalker for a +4.  The Phantom again opens the ball for my fire . . . MPL and all 6 SHL hit the Sunder in the back- 2 Smalls hit the pristine Sunder's head killing the pilot and mech.  Morrigu connects with 2 of the 3 ERLL against the Avatar and so does one of the Roc 3.  Nova Cat causes some armor damage to the Pixie which had stood up to run and the Hellion plinks a AP Gauss against the Stalker which can only connect with a few lasers.  Heimdall misses on ATMs & LBXs against the Stalker.  The Hellion takes more damage but nothing critical and is still zipping about, one of the Rocs takes a few nicks from the Kanazuchi pair.  Avatar falls again after missing a PSR.

Turn 4 . . . the Avatar gets up but runs back into the heavy woods to try to get some distance and cover from the Nova Cat & armor.  The Heimdall had cruised forward a to get the LBX into range of more mechs.  The Phantom reverses course to get behind the Avatar again after it killed the Sunder's pilot.  The Nova Cat is up in the heavy woods, still screened against the Stalker which is plodding forward.  My Hellion E had swooped down into the single heavy woods next to the road keeping it from the Blackjack which moved to shelter behind the L2 cliff.  The protos began swarming around the Stalker though two were out of position.  Once again, the Phantom opens the ball from behind the Avatar hoping to exploit that open CTR location.  Same easy rolls as all game- MPL hit and 4 of the 6 SHL.  No crits, armor damage all around with a single SHL hitting the Avatar's head.  The Morrigu connects once again with 2 ERLL . . . one of which hits the head, another dead Drac.  Its return fire scored the armor on the Morrigu but no crits.  The Heimdall finally scored with a single ATM rack & LB-10X hitting the Stalker for armor damage.  The Nova Cat put more pain on the Phoenix Hawk, scoring a single UAC/5 double tap along with a LPL and LB-5X full hit.  One of the LBX pellets hit the open SPPC arm and got the upper arm actuator.

It cascaded from there . . . my Hellion got tore up and for fun I tried a DFA against the hiding Blackjack- never would have if it was closer.  My Proto point stayed in the rear of the Stalker, ripping it brutally the next turn- some crits on the RT, one of which was LRM ammo.  More crits the on the CTR for gyro death even if the pilot did not KO.  Got 5 crits on 3 chances on the PXH's side torso- 4 JJ and a engine crit from the Nova Cat . . .

Game was called after the PXH was declared crippled, Blackjack had some armor damage and was on the ground and the smoking Stalker had just falled from its gyro being cut out.  My Hellion E was scrap after the foolish DFA attempt.  Nova Cat and Heimdall had not been touched, the Morrigu had less than 15 points of armor damage, most the Protos had not been touched and the Phantom had a side torso open with a single engine crit but was not 'crippled' though it would have been pulling back.

What is it like fighting a Wolf?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
The R10 sadly does not have a mini, or I'd have a lance of them in every single factions scheme I play.
But it does have a mini. It's just plastic and comes with a click base attached to it.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
I'm Batman!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Been awhile, but in-universe I am not sure much has changed since you ghosted.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
Ah, who cares about universe. I just love being among my Wolves!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Flying Fox?

RexCalices

• Recruit
Hey Guys - I'm a little curious about Dark Age camo specs and wondering if anyone knows anything regarding this.

In FM 3145 Clan Wolf has a lot of new Galaxies that it raised after it burgeoned into an Empire - but I don't see any specs for these on Camospecs

http://camospecs.com/Faction/Details/47?p=1

I'm wondering now - what was the process for getting camo specs canonized? Has there been any attempt to do this to the new galaxies? Just curious how such things happen if they aren't in a book.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
It's possible that those new Galaxies don't have colours schemes at all, and just use the default Wolf Grey instead. Alternatively, since some of them inherited the names of defunct old Wolf Galaxies (eg Theta) they could have inherited the colour schemes as well.

Best way to go about it would be to ask Camospecs through their Facebook page. However, they do have a very large backlog of units still awaiting schemes.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
ilClan is drawing closer (again) so we might finally get some resolution from that GenCon diorama a few years ago.

So Alaric is heading into the Republic with nearly everything he can muster.  You are a Galaxy Commander tasked with keeping the borders busy and thus the neighbors from knowing just how stripped the Empire is of forces  Alaric left you your Keshik (light frontline cluster), a frontline cluster, a secondline cluster, and two garrison clusters- one filled with former Leaguers and the other with Lyrans.  You have adequate transport to move each cluster and a bit of a surplus of assault & PWS dropships.  Needless to say you do not want to deploy the Lyran cluster on that front and ditto the League cluster.  Besides the neoLeague and Lyran rump you also have the Galatean crew, Republic Remnant, and some nasty Falcons on the borders while never knowing where Sea Foxes might show up (or did Alaric contract with them for shipping & support?).  Additionally, your supply support is going to be minimal since a lot of the supply chain is going to be bound to Alaric's offensive.

Where do you go on the offensive to skirmish along the borders.
Colt Ward

Decoy

• Captain
Technically, there's a cease fire in place along the FWL border, and they've seemed willing to hold it. The Desant seems a good place to start. Knock down the Falcons before they get ideas. The Republican Remnant Rump, if it still exists, is a big #2. They can cause much mischief behind the lines. The Lyrans have their own problems to deal with, but I wouldn't be adverse to snatching several worlds to bring them under the protection of the True Archon while Trillian falters. Galatean Defense League is probably last on my list.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
While the League in general had a truce in '45 we do not if it was holding in '50 but even with it both sides overlooked the Crusader Wolves engaging in Trials with the Clan Protectorate.  The truce with the League was in effect IMO b/c Jessica was afraid of the Wolves might landing on her in the early 40s.  With Regulus out of the picture and no longer able to stab her in the back . . . and the bulk of the Wolf touman elsewhere, it would be surprising if they did not get adventurous.  The only other avenue for the neoFWL is nibble at the periphery of the Lyrans or focus on Andurien . . . which means facing the CapCon & MoC.  Which would be more important- returning Andurien to the League or the captured MSC worlds?

Which is why I was asking what sort of plan folks might come up with to checkmate or bluff (more likely) the League into maintaining the truce.
Colt Ward

Decoy

• Captain
They are engaging in trials. Nothing more. That's what Clans do. Besides, the Free Worlds League has so much on it's plate that I think they're busy without adding another war onto it. They have the Anduriens, the Marians, and integrating the Regulans to worry about.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Thinking about this for a 3130s Wolf secondline cluster, able to be Warden or Crusader . . .

Savage Wolf
Arctic Wolf 2
Timber Wolf
Stormcrow
Elemental (APG)

Supernova Assault
Alpha Nova
Timber Wolf E
Gargoyle C
Adder B
Mad Dog Mk IV C
Centurion Omni C
2 Elemental, 2 Rabid,

Bravo Star
Jade Hawk 03        5/8(10[12])5
Gyrfalcon              5/8(10)/6 or 7
Arcas
Scourge
Black Hawk 2

Charlie Star
Linebacker
Ghost 50
Uziel 2S
Argotera 1A
Centurion 9-D

Trinary Battle
Star
Hellstar
Cygnus
Thunderbolt IIC 2
Osprey 26
Eisenfaust 7X

Nova
Night Gyr
Hel
Sunder
Blackjack Omni
Templar III
Gnome, Rogue Bear

Warhammer IIC 4
Tundra Wolf
Verfolger
Ostwar 3M
Warhammer 9S

Trinary Rogue
Supernova Alpha
Black Lanner
Ice Ferret
Phantom
Wulfen
Corona, Black Wolf, Cuchulainn SupA, Gnome, Ogre

Bravo Star
Mongrel T2
Arctic Wolf
Pack Hunter 2
Legionnaire
Spirit

Charlie Star
Locust IIC 4
Incubus 1 or 4
Havoc P6
Jaguar

Supernova Phalanx
1st Nova
Heimdall, Schildkrote, Carnivores, Kelswa, Mars (ATM), Behemoth II, Marksmen 1A, Gurti?, Morrigu (Laser), Alacorn Mk VII, Hui?
heavy & assault BA to include IS suits like Ogres- tracked APCs?

2nd Nova
Epona, Hephastus, maybe a Zibler, SM1/1A & SM3 Tank Destroyers, Svantovit, Bellonas, other fast hovers
GDL Std (LRR), IS Std (LRR) x2, Rabid (BA CO), ?

3rd Star
BE701 Joust x4, Ares, Ares (Plasma), Enyo x2, Kinnol, Myrmidon x2?, Mantueffel?

Trinary Aerial
2 stars ASF
Gossamer VTOL
Colt Ward

Decoy

• Captain
So, a Wolf in Exile cluster that contains Crusaders or a Wolf Empire cluster that has Wardens? ;)

More seriously, the traditional command star has four 'mechs and a point of Aerospace fighters.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
No . . . a Command Star is 4 similar points and a single complimentary point.  Look in the FMs- both WC and CC- and you will find the command stars with both.

Not meaning warriors, but a mix of the equipment between Crusader & Warden specifics . . . for instance, the Black Wolf BA, the Isegrim DS, and a few other bits were developed together.  But the Crusaders & Wardens have trialed each other . . and fight or trade with the LC, JF, GBD & HH- so the equipment could trade hands that way.  I was trying to crate a cluster that I could put together and just swap out the bloodnamed/commanders to change from a Warden to Crusader cluster & vice-versa.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
Wolves! as we race towards Terra, what is your ride?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
*Pulls out his datapad and drags a merchant over*

Yes....

Tell me about your ride as you race towards Terra.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
My choice would be a Woodsman A. If not that maybe my customized Warwolf H or Warwolf A for a standard variant. Or the Carronade, I have a soft spot for that. Maybe even swap the lasers for Clan ones, the regular Gauss for a Clan one and put the extra tonnage into more ammo.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteveRestless

• Major
Warwolf A is my preference as well, and what my campaign's player character drives. H my second most common config of the canon configurations, also favoring a custom that swaps the Prime's Gauss Rifle for a HAG and ECM Suite.

Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I think everyone has their own little twist on a canon ride . . .

Personally, I am intrigued by the Wulfen with 3 HMLs?  iHMLs?

I also wish we had a LOT more Supercharger configs, it fits the Wolves faction flavor (cavalry!) . . . and I just want to laugh as the 'sucky' Linebacker is racing about to get into med/short range to exploit the armor/structure at that speed with some decent pod space.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
I think everyone has their own little twist on a canon ride . . .

Personally, I am intrigued by the Wulfen with 3 HMLs?  iHMLs?

I also wish we had a LOT more Supercharger configs, it fits the Wolves faction flavor (cavalry!) . . . and I just want to laugh as the 'sucky' Linebacker is racing about to get into med/short range to exploit the armor/structure at that speed with some decent pod space.

3145 NTNU did give a nice Linebacker config. 2 iHLL, 2 SSRM One Shots. Supercharger. It's my favorite flavor of linebacker.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Sure . . . but it was given 4 turkeys with the Supercharger . . . 2 big explosions w/o CASE II, and 2 sucktastic SSRM OS?  I have not looked at the RS but I would have preferred some good old ERML and ATMs.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
actually they are improved OS SSRM2's.. so at least they aren't wasting weight.
it also has a TC, making those iHLL's pretty effective most of the time.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Its still OS SSRMs- plain SRMs would be worth more IMO.  And sure it has a TC tied to 2 bombs in the machine.  While they may hit a bit more- its still limited to 15 hexes.  I have not seen the sheet so I am wondering if the config can deal with that heat.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
It can.

I was skeptical of it at first myself. But it has delivered frequently enough to change my mind.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I have not been able to really exercise the Clan forces recently so I cannot speak to the exact ability of recent configs.  With the weight involved (8 for iHLL, 2 for TC, SC and the iOS) I figured it had to have room for some DHS, just did not know if it was sufficient.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Mangonel is best Wolf 'Mech
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I think as far as what I'd personally prefer to use, it'd definitely be some flavor of Wulfen, albeit definitely weighted toward one with some actual guns on it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Decoy

• Captain
I'd use a Mad Dog IV. Prime or C configuration as appropriate. One's good for cracking open vehs. The other is good for cracking open 'mechs.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Timber Wolf or GTFO

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Register