Author Topic: Linked/Group Fire - Do you use it?  (Read 15636 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: Linked/Group Fire - Do you use it?
« Reply #30 on: 14 February 2011, 07:23:59 »
I'm not a fan of using the linked-weapon rules.  While neat in theory, they turn the game into a very high-risk, high-reward scenario where the game hinges entirely on good die rolls.  Four linked PPCs fired at 11+ to hit will generally miss, but if they hit will score a disgusting amount of damage.  Fired on 4+, the pounding delivered to a 'Mech is merciless.  It's really not in step with the way the rules were designed for damage.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2011, 11:45:23 »
I'm not a fan of using the linked-weapon rules.  While neat in theory, they turn the game into a very high-risk, high-reward scenario where the game hinges entirely on good die rolls.  Four linked PPCs fired at 11+ to hit will generally miss, but if they hit will score a disgusting amount of damage.  Fired on 4+, the pounding delivered to a 'Mech is merciless.  It's really not in step with the way the rules were designed for damage.

All it takes to hate this rule is to miss on an alpha strike with a Black Hawk-KU on 4s.   #P

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2011, 12:38:53 »
It would be nice if there was a good reason to use the rules... I'm all for speed of play.

Even with dice aids and color coding, a single turn can take way to long.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2011, 12:57:15 »
  We have used TIC's since Solaris7. It makes sense that the mech would use a 3 trigger/button firing system. It's much like the modern fighters.I realise modern fighters  have fewer guns but think about it in ranges. Short range tic,long range tic, mix of both...

We use 3 tics and you chan change them every turn if you want but you only get 3, so if you have a mech with say 4 ppc's you can link all 4 together,2 and 2, 1 and 1 and 2...but you only get to roll 3 sets of dice. Rolling for location is seperate.I think it speeds up the game and adds realism.It has worked for me and every one i have played with since then and every one has seen the benefit of using that system.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 14 February 2011, 13:46:49 »
in solaris rules aren't you limited to a single trigger fire per turn too?  tic's make a lot of sense there, because other wise you'd never get most of your weapons fired.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #35 on: 14 February 2011, 13:56:30 »
The statistical effect of linking weapons is to increase the variance of damage delivered, while maintaining the same mean damage over time. At least assuming that you are not stupidly linking in weapons sub-optimally, like MLs with MPLs.

So, in some sense, all it really does is make the game more "exciting" because you either win big or lose big on a single roll, but over time you dish out the same average damage.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 15 February 2011, 02:29:48 »
TICs are useful for the Solaris rules, yes, but those rules are designed for mech and vehicular combat in the RPG, so they are a different monster entirely.  Firing weapons is a simple action (of which you can only make two); either you can fire one weapon (or a group of all the same weapon in the same location) for that simple action or you can use one of the TICs, so you pretty much have to use them there.  (you can also alpha strike as a complex action)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2011, 04:23:53 »
Yeah, if you've only got one pair of die, there's a serious problem.  I like SRM/MML boats, so the Box of Death is useful because I will often hit with 15-20 at a time.  Heavens know with my clumsiness that there'd be dice all of over the shop otherwise

Then get more! [rockon]
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 15 February 2011, 04:28:00 »
Then get more! [rockon]
Real wargamers buy dice by the pound.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 16 February 2011, 04:27:46 »
Screw a paltry pound..  real men go for a kilo! 8)
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #40 on: 17 February 2011, 11:06:48 »
You should use linked fire when all the weapons are in the arm. But that just makes mechs like the Nova (Blackhawk) much much more deadler!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass