Author Topic: 4th Succession War Campaign - Scenario II - Round 1  (Read 3337 times)

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
4th Succession War Campaign - Scenario II - Round 1
« on: 18 August 2014, 10:32:46 »
Dear fellow Warriors,
despite House Kurita's efforts to analyse and identify the best strategy to employ in this scenario the following represent the first two turns of the battle in progress.
A tactical analysis report was devulged to the Command and Pursuit lances as to the best strategy to follow - the Kurita Command Lance commander in his infinite wisdom however chose a more straightforward approach, followed by the captain of the Pursuit lance, with predictable results. Honour shall forever befall the Combine despite its choices in this engagement. The mandate was to avoid contact with the Atlas, use hit-and-run tactics in the rear of the Steiner 'Mechs, and concentrate fire on either of the Zeus 'Mechs. The battle of course still lies in the balance and as commander of the untarnished Support lance I have but great admiration for our Commander's....more direct approach.
The Kurita tactical analysis briefing suggested our forces concentrate on either of the Steiner Zeus 'Mechs but a wanton concentration of fire by the Command Lance Commander prioritized the Banshee as the most important target. Our Commander almost closed the battle two turns in with a hail of Combine firepower, while all other briefing parameters were ignored and the Support and Pursuit Lance Commanders look forth to how the battle will unfold forthwith.

The initial deployment

Everything that isn't painted red is yours truly's Support lance - the Commander scoring great shots in the rear of the Banshee making him the new priority target

The ambush forces pound into the Banshee with all they have, giving the Combine forces a great chance to bring down the Steiner invaders early on in the game

Unfortunately, the strategic overview was ignored by the lance commanders who chose to go head to head with the Steiner Atlas

Of course the results were rather predictable....

While the Support lance chipped away as by the strategic advice given by House Kurita's modelling publication, the Commander and Pursuit lance captains opted for a more direct approach. Please note yours truly's Support Lance 'Mechs (unscathed) taking pot shots and dropping heat from afar while the other lances pour in for an all out brawl

The Steiner forces having rendered two Kurita 'Mechs beyond repair need only one more to gain a minor victory, though the Combine forces also only need bring down the Banshee to equalize a minor victory for both sides.
As the code of honour of the Combine dictates, the Support Lance cannot but congratulate the Command Lance for his esteemed choice of tactics as his personal vision far outweighs any tactical analysis gathered by the House's strategic report. With most of the Command and Pursuit lances in ruin, only the Support lance led by the humble yours truly abided the advice of higher command but the battle still hangs all but in the balance.

As the Commander of the Support Lance I believe to the end that House Kurita will carry the day despite the misgivings of these early turns. I trust our esteemed Command Lance Commander has a strategy in place to carry the day for the Combine and will wilfully support any effort my forces are called upon to fulfill in line with our Bushido code of honour.

For the honour of the Combine - Steiner shall not take this field, our Commander knows what he's doing and we're but pawns in his experienced hands.
We shall fight to the death for the Combine.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 12:19:07 by stevothedivo »

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Re: 4th Succession War Campaign - Scenario II - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2014, 10:59:42 »
Only one mapsheet?  That's tight for sixteen mechs to be playing on.  I'd have expected at least two...

As it stands, my emphasis on his advantage at range is less relevant, but at the smae time you have less space for maneuver.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 11:04:17 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2014, 11:03:55 »
I'm afraid that's what the Battlepack calls for - published code 1705 by FASA it calls for one map only.
The scenario in question is on page 14. We've done everything by the book, fellow 'Warrior
 O0
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 11:08:19 by stevothedivo »

Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2014, 11:08:37 »
Well, if that's what the scenario pack says.  It gives you less space to perform effective strike and fade attacks, but as I mentioned, limits his ranged advantage.  Needless to say, keep up the good work and I'm sure the Dragon will emerge triumphant (not that I'm supporting you guys or anything, but as a dedicated Free Worlds Leaguer I want to see that Steiner filth get kicked in the balls...  ;) )

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2014, 11:28:15 »
Then keep an eye on this thread because next fortnight more rounds will take place - and that Banshee can't take much more. All we need is to down one Steiner Mech and leave the field with at least 10 of 13 'Mechs.
We can afford our two losses if our Command Lance commander pulls his units back and lets my Support lance do its job - the Pursuit Lance also needs to fall back and regroup/drop heat. If we follow the Combine's Intelligence and Stategic Bureau's doctrine we've this one in the bag.
If our Commander continues to want to toe-to-toe with light mechs against Steiner's heavy/assault 'Mechs I can but follow the Bushido code of House Kurita and follow him honourably to our doom.
 :)

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2014, 13:12:37 »
How was the feel of the mapsheet to play on? I have always wondered about this map and I am curious on what it offers from a tactical standpoint than just looks.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2014, 13:24:20 »
I love the reporting! Very Good character building, you make a perfect loyal samurai of the Dragon  O0.

I agree though, head to head fights between lights and assaults rarely go well for the lights. But it looks like you guys aren't doing too bad (especially on that postage stamp of a game field)
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2014, 00:20:30 »
Thanks guys, appreciate it!
 :)
All in all we're really not doing too bad at all - the Atlas has lost its AC20, the Banshee is down to internals, and though on the ground our 'Mechs are still capable of recovering. Even if we do lose the two 'Mechs on the ground, so long as the Banshee is finished off (a likely possibility with three Panthers with PPCs still in action and a sway of Jenners to Alpha Strike - that's why mine fell back behind the hills and mountains to recover) we've achieved a major victory.
Our goal is to kill one Steiner 'Mech losing no more than three of ours so yeah, I've a good feeling about this one!

Love playing "in character", coming from an RPG background.
The map offers great tactical options - personally I'd have deployed ALL our forces in easier cover to withdraw into as we had auto-initiative the first two turns and abided the briefing specs which suggested concentrating on the Zeuses, yet again after the Command Lance Commander scored a fantastic rear shot in the Banshee it made perfect sense to make him the primary target.

Next week I can see this scenario ending, one way or another, while the first one took five weeks to play through as we continually referred to the rules.
I'll keep this thread updated with developments, great scenario and well balanced I think (he says from his experience of all of THREE games of CBT/Alpha Strike)
LOL!

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2014, 11:35:12 »
How was the feel of the mapsheet to play on? I have always wondered about this map and I am curious on what it offers from a tactical standpoint than just looks.

I actually like this mapsheet myself.  Not very pretty, but it has lots of woods and a couple large hills.  So it provides lots of opportunities for cover and short ranged fights.  Given that the battlefield is so small, this is probably a good place for lights to take on assaults and still be able to hit and fade. 

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2014, 12:35:21 »
-- NOTE - REPOSTED FROM ANOTHER THREAD BUT THOUGHT IT'D BE APPROPRIATE HERE, TOO - MODS PLEASE ISSUE A WARNING IF REQUIRED AS I'M STILL DIGESTING FORUM RULES. THANKS. --

All extremely valuable tactical advice but I fear for this game I'm running the Support lance.
The Quickdraw is safe behind level 2 elevation, covering the only escape route the Banshee could take. If the abandons his current position he's dead in my sights.
My Panther's PPC has been doing its best to soften up targets for the Jenners, one of mine Alpha Striking and pulling out to cool down while my other one is about to carry out the same maneuver. Unfortunately though I always yearn to play all my games "in character", so I must abide my Command Lance commander's orders.

The game was skewed from the start, I forwarded a tactical analysis that was ignored, garnered from the community on this forum (which I'm so glad I've found - it's open, friendly, quick to respond and full of helpful insights to a beginner!!) so like it or not I believe we can still pull off a major victory IF our Command Lance and Pursuit Lance commanders revert to the aforementioned tactical briefing. At the moment though it ain't looking pretty one bit I fear.
A minor victory...almost assured. But it still leaves me with a somewhat sour taste as were I leading the company I'd have stuck to the plan and carried out the mission "by the book"

In our CL commander's defence, the first turn lucky rolling did cripple the Banshee to the point he could become the new primary target - as we only need to kill one 'Mech and retire with at least 10 to win a major victory.

That said going toe-to-toe with the Atlas and placing our 'Mechs in such close proximity (base to base) with the undamaged Zeus and fighting it out with the Banshee doesn't bode well even to an unexperienced player like myself.
If you've seen my Alpha Strike report you'll recognize I'm new to CBT/AS but certainly not to RPGing or wargaming in general.
There are certain "rules" so to speak that one abides by whatever system is being played and the feeling I get from these early scenarios - while a great chance for loads of belly laughs, don't get me wrong...I'm having a right ball playing! - is my fellow commanders aren't doing as much research as I am or putting in the effort to understand the intricacies of what is effectively a new system to us.

Sure we're piloting 30' robots armed to the teeth with 31st century weaponry....but so's the other guy!

It'll be fun in months/years to come (or even sooner with a different gaming group, or even one-on-one) to replay the scenario and see if I'm full of hot air (a proposition not to be discounted by any means) or if my strategic assessment of the best tactics to employ is sound (which may be the case as it seems to consistently find confirmation in your posts)

Next week/fortnight (with six players it's always a toss up for everyone to be able to make every meet) I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop.
Thanks again for your precious comments and guidance, I really do appreciate them.
And join the FB BT DownUnder group if you're in Australia, help us make regular games/tactical discussions and organizing games/leagues/campaigns more than just a cupboard dream!