Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 69007 times)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Since it appears Malort is pretty hard to come by outside the US, what would make a good substitute for those of us in other parts of the world?

I'm wondering if Buckfast might be a suitable alternative for the UK...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
From John Helfers' introduction on today's Tuesday Newsday it sounds like the cook book is going to be shipped on its own later and not with the rest of the Mercenaries Kickstarter products. Audio was pretty bad in that part of the stream so its easy to miss.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
As a Quebecois, I approve this. but you must specify the ingredients: Nicely baked french fries, BBQ/brown sauce and the most important: FRESH CHEDDARD CHEESE CURDS. Anything else is an abomination and must be nuked from orbit.  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Which would seem oddly appropriate for a Blakist recipe…

:wink:

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Since it appears Malort is pretty hard to come by outside the US, what would make a good substitute for those of us in other parts of the world?

Jeppson's Malort is a US thing, but small-m malort (or, more properly, malört) is a traditional Scandinavian herbal liquor. It is notably bitter but acts as a digestif, settling the stomach in small amounts.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

BrianDavion

• Captain
As a Quebecois, I approve this. but you must specify the ingredients: Nicely baked french fries, BBQ/brown sauce and the most important: FRESH CHEDDARD CHEESE CURDS. Anything else is an abomination and must be nuked from orbit.  :grin: :grin: :grin:

*hides the butter chicken Poutine*
The Suns will shine again

DarkSpade

• Major

Mix mustard, vinegar, gasoline, and lemon juice(not lemonade).  Be sure to let it sit in the sun for a while. 

Disclaimer: This is a joke.  You should not drink anything with gasoline in it or any of those ingredients after they've sat in the sun.  Still, it would taste better than the Malort...
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Mix mustard, vinegar, gasoline, and lemon juice(not lemonade).  Be sure to let it sit in the sun for a while. 

Disclaimer: This is a joke.  You should not drink anything with gasoline in it or any of those ingredients after they've sat in the sun.  Still, it would taste better than the Malort...

Don't know what Malort you've been drinking.

You totally forgot the notes of "grass clippings."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
That Necrosia recipe reminds me of the episode of Red Dwarf where Lister is stranded and has to eat dog food to survive and he remarks after eating a spoonful “Now I know why dogs lick their testicles; to get the taste of the food out of their mouth”.

The Steiner Assault Recon drink, while also not something to my tastes, seems to at least be done right. Go heavy or go home.

bobthecoward

• Captain
Jeppson's Malort is a US thing, but small-m malort (or, more properly, malört) is a traditional Scandinavian herbal liquor. It is notably bitter but acts as a digestif, settling the stomach in small amounts.

Is the international stuff just as bad?

DarkSpade

• Major
Don't know what Malort you've been drinking.

You totally forgot the notes of "grass clippings."

"Drinking"!?  I had the sense to put the glass back down once it got within 6 inches of my nose.   D&D session I was playing at one night had a house rule that if you rolled a 1 you had to take a shot.  Told them I'd go home before I let that hit my lips, let alone go through them.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website

Jeppson's malort is described as being flavored with Anise (aka wormwood.) so i'd guess that ytou could probably swap it for any other Anise flavored spirit. Absinthe is a more well known variety of such (though it has some other herbs involved as flavoring), but you could probably look around the various varieties of 'bitters' for Anise flavored options. malort is classed as a type of bitters, so odds are you could find a strong flavored variety that'll fit.

and i'm not surprised the stuff is less than appealing on its own. bitters are usually used as part of mixed drink,

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I guess I now know who the real MechWarriors are in here.

...nobody, BattleTech isn't real. :laugh:

Luciora

• Major
Sounds like pickled durian. 

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Sounds like pickled durian.

We don't know. Nobody has tried both durian and Malort and lived to tell that tale.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Durian malort "fruit" smoothie?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Durian malort "fruit" smoothie?

I can make it palatable. Briefly. But then the aftertaste is going to cause problems for the cleaning staff.

klarg1

• Captain
*hides the butter chicken Poutine*

Your local ROM office has been notified.

Do not attempt to leave the planet.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2024, 07:59:48 by klarg1 »

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
This BPL videos has all the info I need on Jeppson's Malort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3tm2zngNi4

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Your local ROM office has been notified.

Do not attempt to leave the planet.

I'm not saying ROM recruits Québécois for this kind of enforcement, but I'm not not saying it.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Randall just covered the Kickstarter fulfillment on the AdeptiCon livestream. Fulfillment is still due for June, but shipping is an absolute nightmare with the UrbanMech LAM and Star League Command Lance being on the water for eight weeks (and thus missing AdeptiCon by about a week). Randall has confirmed that everything for the Kickstarter is on the water.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Randall just covered the Kickstarter fulfillment on the AdeptiCon livestream. Fulfillment is still due for June, but shipping is an absolute nightmare with the UrbanMech LAM and Star League Command Lance being on the water for eight weeks (and thus missing AdeptiCon by about a week). Randall has confirmed that everything for the Kickstarter is on the water.

That's great news! Crossing my fingers that the boats arrive and get offloaded promptly and that fulfilment doesn't lose their minds with all of our Stuff.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Any news on when will we get charged for the shipping?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Any news on when will we get charged for the shipping?

Most likely when they actually hit the docks.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Charistoph

• Major

Or within a week of that.  Need to make sure they have everything before shipping out to customers' homes.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
I'm not saying ROM recruits Québécois for this kind of enforcement, but I'm not not saying it.

Training clip of one of our units in action  :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :tongue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUGW0jszPzo

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Noted. Was asking in case they had said anything about it at the Adepticon livestream. Thanks!

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
Expect to receive an e-mail in mid-April and to be charged 7-10 days afterwards for shipping after entering your payment info. per one of the adepticon live streams from thursday, I believe it was the final session with Randall and Loren at the table.

Almost forgot to add, they said all kickstarter stuff is on the water.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2024, 03:10:32 by Broken_Metal_Dreaming »

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Expect to receive an e-mail in mid-April and to be charged 7-10 days afterwards for shipping after entering your payment info. per one of the adepticon live streams from thursday, I believe it was the final session with Randall and Loren at the table.

Almost forgot to add, they said all kickstarter stuff is on the water.
Yeah, probably more like late April, considering the travel times from China. Thanks for the info. Lets see how much it adds up to, not going to be cheap. Even if this time I controlled myself and didn't buy any battlemat.

Charistoph

• Major
Yeah, probably more like late April, considering the travel times from China. Thanks for the info. Lets see how much it adds up to, not going to be cheap. Even if this time I controlled myself and didn't buy any battlemat.

That may have already been taken in to account.  If it takes 8 weeks to transport anything from China right now, that means its already half-way in transit.  So that means it's already on the Pacific somewhere, if its heading to the American West Coast, or nearing Cape Horn or Cape Hope if its hitting the Atlantic.  There's also all the outside-America delivery locations that should be receiving their allotment in a similar time frame.  Fluentcargo.com predicts about a 37 day travel time for a cargo ship to go from Hong Kong to London, and 21 days to Seattle.  That's a bit shorter than 8 weeks.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Register