Author Topic: Enter the Fray  (Read 13621 times)

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Enter the Fray
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2020, 22:40:40 »
Has he been getting any isorla/loot from the Jade Falcons/Wolves as a result of the battles?  His family should be asking for technical aid, medical assistance, and older laborers to help out on-planet.  Plus food stocks so the planet can support them until new crops are harvested.

I could see another reason for not coupling with them.  It might imply weakness that the only women he can couple with are effectively his servants.  Still, as one of the few local Mechwarriors, he should have some local girls looking at him.  But given how much works needs to be done, it might where the duo just collapse in bed together rather than anything else.

Now once the bondswomen are considered full warriors, that could be different

What he should also be doing is having the bondswomen putting together a book that explains the customs/culture of the Clans in a manner useful for teaching children, so they can better understand what is going on.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2020, 23:44:03 »
As far as stuff the militia is getting from the Clans they are getting what remains of the mechs they down and the mechwarriors and that is it.  I've actually been running a MekHQ campaign in the background to help me decide what the salvage is and what the militia does with it.

As far as anything beyond that from what I can gather of the Clans at the time of this story they would not volunteer such things or put anything on the line against what they'd still largely consider little better than bandits that continue to exist frankly because they have played by Clan rules so far.  As such though I do think it would be appropriate for the final showdown they might actually put something on the line for their part to salute an honorable foe that has proven their valor in combat multiple times now.

From the colony's side they just wouldn't consider asking as it strikes them a little too much like slavery and they're just not really into such things and even if they did there is no local HPG to use to get a hold of the Clans to tell them to bring such things that the Clans wouldn't bring in until they did control the planet.

Education wise yeah there is almost certainly a 'Clan Society for Dummies' repository of knowledge being compiled in the background since it isn't really important to the focus of the story.

As far as Galen's romantic possibilities, he's mostly been isolated from the local offerings by being thrust into a position that precludes the free time to allow him to have a more normal relationship but that is what works against him in this story too.  But that is part of the theme of this story.  That buffer doesn't exist for Naomi and in fact the situation demands Galen interact with her and now his new charges.

As far as Bondsmasters and coupling goes, yeah again from what I can tell from Clan social norms and if they order coupling or not it does seem largely up to the Bondsmaster.  As such it seems perfectly reasonable for Naomi to have expected such orders and likely would comply.

Galen as much as he is a horny teenager does have self respect and would see it very much as taking advantage.

Naomi now though as soon as she was put in that Centurian and achieved victory in combat she no longer considers herself a Bondswoman.

So yeah it's pretty inevitable the two will get in the sack at some point now.  I'm just deciding the timing and how things will play out with the new arrivals in this new version of events versus the last time I wrote this story.

After all Vanessa kind of has hit on something with her theory.  Galen just by being close to their age is going to be their prime interest and they all come from a society where women can very much be the sexual aggressors and Heather did say fairly plainly in front of them that she's not into lesbianism and a Bondsperson would never dare to act against that.  And much like Naomi he can't avoid them.

I remember what I was like when I was 18 and yeah I doubt I'd be able to hold out as long as I'll be making Galen keep control of himself when I get back to this.

Which is my round about way of admitting this entire story premise is my take on a silly anime harem type story set in Battletech with some bare threads of logic to make it reasonable but still fun.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2020, 03:35:41 »
Good point about slavery, I hadn't considered that aspect of it when asking for the older Laborer caste.  I had been thinking that they would get access to a pool of labor that knew advanced technology and had experience working with it, and that the Clans might want to get rid of since they were no longer as productive.

For the next trials, Galen could argue that the challenging Clan was asking for a conquest of the planet, but offering up nothing of similar value.  Jade Falcon was sneaky because they provided a year's respite until they tried to invade again.  Next time, Galen will likely ask for a better deal, since Jade Falcon is offering temporary neutrality for only their Clan, not for all the Clans.

For Wolf, Galen's mother would probably want to get help from the ship's medical database to deal with the Colonist Disease, to send data up so the medical systems can make better sense of the disease, how it spreads, then trying to develop a vaccine or even a cure.  A technical claim would be a copy of the ship's technical database, maybe up to Star League level, so they can build better stuff on-planet.  Or time on the ship's machine shops to build tools that can be used to build items that the planet needs.  Galen could use the reason that due to lack of technical support, he will not be able to improve his skills to offer a proper challenge.

For the next Clan to invade, here are some 'problems' that might occur:
* Ghost Bear - their bid will be well slow, but well thought out.  Expect Merchant caste ships stopping by to trade with the planet, but also measuring the planet's potential.  When the Warrior bid to attack the planet arrives, it will be a good one.  Both in well-balanced fights, and the material selected as collateral will be very useful to the planet's infrastructure.  "You have to fight her Galen, we need those supplies to produce the vaccines necessary."
* Smoke Jaguar - aggressive, so their bondswoman will want to challenge Galen to be in charge after she is a warrior.  But since she is honorable, she will likely have to train him first, for it to be a fair fight.  Cue Galen getting into compromising positions during hand to hand combat training (aka Police Academy's Sgt Callahan demonstration of hand to hand combat vs Cadet Barbara)  "With this maneuver, I am able to use my body to pin your arms and legs so you can barely move.  Avoid this or I will defeat you easily when it is time.  Now you will learn to recognize and perform that maneuver on me until you have mastered it."

For follow-up Clans:
* Diamond Sharks - they may trade as merchants, but there does have to be a fight to settle the deal.  Cue unaugmented fights by the Warrior caste vs Galen (no need to waste material by fighting augmented)  "You were trained by a Jaguar, quiaff?  Their skills have rubbed off on you."  "Rubbed off, yes"
* Goliath Scorpion - even as a bondswoman, this warrior will still have her rituals.  However, she will invite Galen along for a vision quest, which will wind up with both of them slightly drugged out.  "Do you always wear that on vision quests?"  "Wear what?"  "Exactly"

The other fun would be if other Houses send groups by to use the planet as a base to rest on, and attack the Clans from.  The Houses will have to leave a liaison officer with Galen, to make sure there are no misunderstandings.  Since everyone else is talking to Galen, that means Comstar will also send someone to keep tabs on him (messages would be bundled up for transmitting to the next Jumpship to head to an IS planet).

Galen will need help to make sure there are enough bunk beds for everyone.  Let alone when everyone is trying to take a shower at the same time.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2020, 05:35:35 »
Naomi now though as soon as she was put in that Centurian and achieved victory in combat she no longer considers herself a Bondswoman.
Naahhh. At most she's only gained enough to have one of three bondcords removed. The one for combat talent. Integrity and Loyalty will need a bit more.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2020, 12:14:36 »
Good point about slavery, I hadn't considered that aspect of it when asking for the older Laborer caste.  I had been thinking that they would get access to a pool of labor that knew advanced technology and had experience working with it, and that the Clans might want to get rid of since they were no longer as productive.

For the next trials, Galen could argue that the challenging Clan was asking for a conquest of the planet, but offering up nothing of similar value.  Jade Falcon was sneaky because they provided a year's respite until they tried to invade again.  Next time, Galen will likely ask for a better deal, since Jade Falcon is offering temporary neutrality for only their Clan, not for all the Clans.

For Wolf, Galen's mother would probably want to get help from the ship's medical database to deal with the Colonist Disease, to send data up so the medical systems can make better sense of the disease, how it spreads, then trying to develop a vaccine or even a cure.  A technical claim would be a copy of the ship's technical database, maybe up to Star League level, so they can build better stuff on-planet.  Or time on the ship's machine shops to build tools that can be used to build items that the planet needs.  Galen could use the reason that due to lack of technical support, he will not be able to improve his skills to offer a proper challenge.

For the next Clan to invade, here are some 'problems' that might occur:
* Ghost Bear - their bid will be well slow, but well thought out.  Expect Merchant caste ships stopping by to trade with the planet, but also measuring the planet's potential.  When the Warrior bid to attack the planet arrives, it will be a good one.  Both in well-balanced fights, and the material selected as collateral will be very useful to the planet's infrastructure.  "You have to fight her Galen, we need those supplies to produce the vaccines necessary."
* Smoke Jaguar - aggressive, so their bondswoman will want to challenge Galen to be in charge after she is a warrior.  But since she is honorable, she will likely have to train him first, for it to be a fair fight.  Cue Galen getting into compromising positions during hand to hand combat training (aka Police Academy's Sgt Callahan demonstration of hand to hand combat vs Cadet Barbara)  "With this maneuver, I am able to use my body to pin your arms and legs so you can barely move.  Avoid this or I will defeat you easily when it is time.  Now you will learn to recognize and perform that maneuver on me until you have mastered it."

For follow-up Clans:
* Diamond Sharks - they may trade as merchants, but there does have to be a fight to settle the deal.  Cue unaugmented fights by the Warrior caste vs Galen (no need to waste material by fighting augmented)  "You were trained by a Jaguar, quiaff?  Their skills have rubbed off on you."  "Rubbed off, yes"
* Goliath Scorpion - even as a bondswoman, this warrior will still have her rituals.  However, she will invite Galen along for a vision quest, which will wind up with both of them slightly drugged out.  "Do you always wear that on vision quests?"  "Wear what?"  "Exactly"

The other fun would be if other Houses send groups by to use the planet as a base to rest on, and attack the Clans from.  The Houses will have to leave a liaison officer with Galen, to make sure there are no misunderstandings.  Since everyone else is talking to Galen, that means Comstar will also send someone to keep tabs on him (messages would be bundled up for transmitting to the next Jumpship to head to an IS planet).

Galen will need help to make sure there are enough bunk beds for everyone.  Let alone when everyone is trying to take a shower at the same time.

Clan honor in wanting to establish invasion corridors was a bit flexible*, especially in the region this colony is located in.  But yes that they've been playing by Clan rules and winning will earn the militia some respect for the next couple of trials.

Vanessa has already developed a vaccine and a cure.  How perfect they are will depend largely on how much I want to expand this.  For the story it is good enough but yes if I were to expand past this one story to try and weave a full narrative with Battletech and figure out a way to get some real scientific research into Colonist's Disease, the vaccine, and cure there certainly would be imperfections in the vaccine and cure developed by Vanessa.  What would happen with said revelations though probably wouldn't be much as Clans wouldn't care and there is a lot of hostile territory for anyone else to work around/through.

Ghost Bear and Smoke Jaguar wouldn't invade as this world is well outside their invasion corridors.  Not sure what would draw the Goliath Scorpions since the colony doesn't have Star League/Hegemony origins but damn you for giving me such a bad ideatm**.  Diamond Sharks yes I was indeed planning on having show up as merchants at some point.  Steel Vipers being Jade Falcon's reserve will take a shot.  I doubt I'll carry this story out long enough to worry about if the invasion zones of Ice Hellions or Hell's Horses would put this colony in their sights.

This colony is deep enough in the periphery that when the houses/Comstar do learn about it from the Clans/Explorer Corps it'd be too deep behind enemy lines to be useful to stage troops from and they'd have bigger problems.  The only jumpship traffic since the founding of this colony has been the odd pirate raid, the Clans, and a quick stop by an Explorer Corps jumpship.

Galen is taking point largely because he was initially forced to because his father and sister were down for a bit then it did become a matter of practicality in that Galen did have the most experience.  That these are also handy excuses to not have to deal with the whole bondsperson thins for Ian and Heather also helps thrust Galen into the central position.

The Welsh family estate used to be the living complex for the original mechwarriors of the mercenary company that founded this colony.  So plenty of living space for 12 mechwarriors and then some as they would certainly have planned to also house dependents in the complex.  It's just after 150 years of pirates, colonist's disease, and the other warrior families just wanting their own space it will indeed still take some effort to house all their new guests.

*To be fair they hadn't been fleshed out as much as they would be post early invasion so a lot of their honor system hadn't even been codified.

**Yup now I'm cooking up something to draw them in due to the origin of one or more of the mercenary's mechs.  I'll probably have to have it be either the King Crab or the Battlemaster though.

Naahhh. At most she's only gained enough to have one of three bondcords removed. The one for combat talent. Integrity and Loyalty will need a bit more.

I suppose it does work better for something I have planned if she does consider herself to still be Galen's Bondswoman.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2020, 20:36:39 »
For having other Clans show up, just let word get around that Galen has defeated other Clan mechwarriors.  So you might have a Scout Jumpship with a single Dropship popping in, just for the chance to fight him.  If Galen loses, he becomes the bondsman of that warrior.  If(when) he wins, he adds that warrior to his Pokeclan collection.

Too deep for house troops, but deep enough for pirates?  Time for a pirate princess to show up, with a Dropship of dependents/refugees, that are farmers and technical personnel.  Their planet managed to fight off the first Clan attack via dirty tricks, but the pirate king there knew the Clans would return, and in greater numbers so planned to get out fast, taking only his favorite troops.  The daughter decided to leave earlier on the Dropship, with people that were more likely to be welcomed instead of shot on sight.

So the pirate princess arrives with a Dropship full of material and people that are skilled in growing food and maintaining things.  But she is also used to dealing with mechwarriors as the people in charge, so goes after Galen.  She is not a mechwarrior, but has some skill in organizing people.  Since there was no combat, that means no bondcord, so technically she would be an 'equal'.  Galen can't just ignore her as working with her means things run more smoothly, especially when the pirate princess assigns a pair of maids to help out at the house.  The first bits of harem rivalry start, as here is someone with some authority/capability, no combat ability, but guaranteed access to the main Mechwarrior.  Hope Galen has access to plenty of aspirin

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2020, 23:08:24 »
Oh yeah the reputation will eventually draw more attention to this colony, especially for the Clans.

The region of space this colony is in is not super far from the bandit kingdoms so yeah a few pirate raids over the years wouldn't be too unreasonable.

Yeah refugees of various sorts probably wouldn't be too out of the question either.

So bad ideas are flooding now.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2020, 15:00:57 »
[Author] Still thinking about the bid for the next fight but I think I've gotten the basic flow of events worked out.  [/Author]

Welsh family estate
Morning 8 September 3049

Galen was reading the report Ian had convinced Naomi to write up on Clan Jade Falcon in her spare time and he saw the answer to their situation.  At least if the Clans really followed their own rules.

Then the sound of a fight breaking out in the gym interrupted Galen.

"No he's my bondsmaster!"

"No!  Mine!"

Came voices Galen hadn't linked to his new house guests yet.

He moved towards the gym to see what was going on but his sister came out of the gym and stopped him.

"Okay what the heck is going on in there?"  Galen said puzzled.

"I'm doing you a favor by keeping you out here because I miscalculated.  I had no idea how sexually aggressive these Clan women can be.  If you go in there I doubt you'll enjoy what would happen to you despite it almost certainly starting out like a fantasy I know you've had by now with all these attractive young women living in close porximity to you."  Heather sighed, shaking her head.

"Let me guess you started asking questions about the dating scene in their society then teased them about me."  Galen knew his sister all too well.

"Pretty much.  They're not actually fighting over which one gets you, they're fighting over who gets to go second.  Somehow they all agreed Naomi should be your first.  I'm actually really sorry Galen. I think I've seriously just doomed you."  Heather seemed genuinely apologetic.

"Oh hell..."  Galen caught on.

"Yep.  Their society is that screwed up that even if it is their choice you're still taking advantage of them by our standards.  I suppose the good news is they are on long duration contraceptives still.  So at least when, not if, when, the inevitable happens at least you won't knock any of them up right away."  Heather seemed to relax.

Naomi calmly walked out of the gym.

"I must apologize for my failure to keep the others in line Bondsmaster Galen.  I await your punishment."  Naomi seemed genuinely distraught over the chaos caused by his sister.

"I can't blame you Naomi.  It was Heather who overstepped and caused this to happen.  But I can tell by looking at you that it will eat at you if I do not order something of a punishment.  For your failure I task you with leading your fellow bondswomen in ten laps around the complex.  Since it is still the hot season locally I will allow you to choose when to run these laps.  If I learn that anyone has complications from the heat then I will certainly have to lay down a far more severe punishment.  So consider this also partially a test of your leadership and decision making abilities."  Galen contemplated.

Naomi almost seemed cheerful at the prospect of her 'punishment' as she went back into the gym.

The arguing had finally stopped a bit ago and Galen was glad to see that as much as he would call what he heard a fight there were no signs it actually got physical as his new charges walked out of the gym.

"I think we're going to have to have mom and her shrink friend take a much closer look at those five because this is getting out of hand."  Galen muttered as he watched the four women go straight outside.

Galen was a little gobsmacked.  Fortunately it was still fairly early in the morning so it was probably only 30 Celsius outside right now.  The forecast called for it to hit over 60 before the day was done.

"Yeah you're probably right.  You know you're starting to talk a bit like them."  Heather said moving next to her brother.

"I am?  I have not noticed."  Then Galen caught it himself.

"You still haven't dropped all contractions but I see it has registered that you're not using as many."  Heather said as she patted her brother on the back.

Galen collected himself and grabbed his portable noteputer and started typing something up.  It'd have to be typed just so they could squeeze a little extra transmission power to get it to the Clan Wolf ship before it left system.

Breakfast was his only interruption to what he thought would end the threat to the colony once and for all.

Naomi eventually returned and joined them for breakfast.

"The others are still showering.  What is it that you are working on Bondsmaster?"  Naomi said as she sat down.

"I could actually use your expertise on this.  It is a proposal to end Clan attempts to conquer our little colony."  Galen answered.

Naomi silently scanned the text document as she ate.

After what seemed like an eternity she handed it back to Galen.

"Now that you have established yourself as an honorable warrior I think they will accept most of this without question.  They will likely even accept that they should not claim members of this colony's militia as bondsmen but I doubt they will accept that you will not take at least some defeated warriors now and again as bondsmen."  Naomi said flatly.

"Well if they demand that I guess we will just have to deal with it."  Galen nodded.

"Let me see what you're cooking up son."  Ian said as he reached for the portable noteputer.

Handing it over to his father Galen once again waited anxiously.

"I'm not the expert you or Naomi are on the Clans but everything looks good from our side from the simple fact of the matter that if we lose we wouldn't even be able to mount a resistance movement to renege on this deal anyway."  Ian said as he nodded approvingly.

"I will get it sent before I get over to the hangers then."  Galen said as he collected dishes.

"You'll be late then.  You know how John gets if you're late."  Ian said sternly.

"I do but it can't be helped if I want to get this to that Wolf ship before it leaves."  Galen said noticing he used a contraction.

Was he trying to impress Naomi by adopting her lack of use of contractions?  He had noticed it did bother her when others used them but she certainly tried to hide it.

Even if true Galen had a lot to do and not enough time to devote much attention to figuring it out.

Galen signaled for a groundcar and made his way to the front of the estate.

Galen sat in silence trying to keep focused on the next steps.

John figured they'd be able to get 7 mechs back up an running from all the salvage they managed to bring in from the last fight.

Galen was kind of glad that his opponent was still in intensive care at their hospital.  He wondered if she would ever recover enough to return to being a mechwarrior.

Angus MacLaren also had no objection to Galen's proposed treaty when he read it over and transmitted it.

The distance was so great that even at the speed of light it'd take some time to even get to the Wolf ship and then they'd have to pass the proposal on to the Jade Falcons and Steel Vipers as well and who knew how long it would take to get a response.

As Galen figured John demanded he work a double shift for being late.  He was glad the early colonists figured out how to keep the mechbays cool enough to work reasonably comfortably despite the heat of the hot season.

All of Galen's new charges had chosen other avenues to support the colony for now but he knew eventually they would have to help maintain their own mechs anyway, doubly so if his plan worked.

Meal and water breaks were mandatory in the heat so for a change Galen did not miss lunch or dinner.

Galen found Naomi waiting for him after his shift was done.

"Ah screw it.  Naomi..."  Galen was interrupted by Naomi grabbing him.

"Yes, 'screw it' indeed.  I thought you'd never ask."  Naomi said as she dragged Galen somewhere more private.

Galen was pretty sure what happened next still technically constituted rape since he was just going to ask Naomi out on a proper date but he was past caring once the clothes came off.

Some time later...

"Well it was inevitable so I'll give you two a pass this time.  People have been looking all over for you two.  We got a response from the Wolf ship so get dressed."  Heather disrupted the young couple.

Galen sheepishly got dressed then made his way to the waiting groundcar.

The ride to city hall was a painful but welcome silence.

"About time Galen."  Angus MacLaren said as the trio walked into the communications center.

"This is Star Colonel Gwendlynne Ward.  You are quite right that you have proven yourself honorable and worthy of all due courtesy.  As such to make amends for our poor behavior we will deliver your message as you have asked us to and when we return we shall gladly bring prizes worthy of your victory you have already scored over us.  There will have to be certain amendments made to your proposal but those will have to wait until all parties can come here to negotiate properly.  We can not be certain when we will receive their replies but as soon as we do we shall return.  I look forward to meeting the leader of the forces that have defeated some of my forces."  A woman's voice crackled over the ancient speakers slightly distorted from the great distance.

"One step of my plan down."  Galen sighed in relief.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2020, 16:08:36 »
The first of many, I'm sure.  And I'm also sure there will be some steps back...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 23 May 2020, 01:04:58 »
Oh yeah.

At this point my story has diverged rather radically from any of my previous incarnations with the idea of a pirate princess, a Goliath Scorpion Seeker, and now thinking about exactly how the rest of the story will play out.

I don't want to reveal too much of Galen's plan yet but yes it is safe to say despite his studying Clan ways it is not going to work at all the way he thinks it will.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2020, 13:57:50 »
pretty sure what happened next still technically constituted rape
:o :o :D :D ;D ;D :D :D  pretty sure forced copulation isnt considered such in clan culture.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2020, 14:36:53 »
:o :o :D :D ;D ;D :D :D  pretty sure forced copulation isnt considered such in clan culture.

Indeed for the Clans there doesn't seem to be a cultural concept of 'rape' between how open they are about it and their contraceptive technology being as about perfect as is possible making the biggest consequence they might face is a doctor lecturing them about STDs while curing them with that wonderful Clan medical technology.

I don't know how well I've been portraying Naomi having her own crush on Galen and being a bit pent up herself until a poor choice of words on Galen's part gave her just enough of an excuse to be a bit more forceful than a Bondsmen should be toward their Bondsmaster.

But Galen isn't a clanner.  From his perspective it probably would constitute rape but once the clothes came off, well blood was being redirected elsewhere and he was past caring about going to hell or it being rape.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2020, 01:08:32 »
I like how you think  ;D
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2020, 16:16:19 »
So yeah been rather distracted lately from working on this.

Still working out pirate princess's introduction and how to work her into Galen's harem in a reasonable way and I've got the seeker mostly figured out but doesn't make much sense introducing her just yet.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2020, 17:56:54 »
You mean as an assassin in waiting, right?  ???

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2020, 18:21:21 »
Not off the table but it is ultimately a silly harem anime style story so it'd end up being an interesting relationship to be sure if I go that route.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2020, 15:22:24 »
[Author] I think I've overloaded myself with creative projects again causing me to not focus on this story enough.  I think I've figured out how to handle the last few additions to Galen's harem now. [/Author]

Welsh family estate
15 September 3049
early morning

Galen was glad that Naomi hadn't been making things awkward since they had finally crossed the line they did.  The others?  He understood why they called themselves Clan Wolf with the way they looked at him and even started acting around him.

They were starting to learn his routines and were really going all out, leaving doors open as they changed, using the gym shower more often to try and get him to walk in on them when he went to work out, and just generally indicating their willingness to do more intimate physical activities.

Galen was using every trick he could think of to vary his routine.  He didn't regret what he had done with Naomi but it still felt like he'd be taking advantage of them if he didn't phrase things around them extremely carefully.

That they were not fighting with each other anymore was also good but the underlying tension was still there.

Galen sat down at the breakfast table.  His mother cooking as she usually did unless she went to the lab early.  Which she had been doing a lot to see if she could get to the bottom of why the former Wolf warriors nearly came to blows over the order of who got to be intimate with Galen when.

"Heather has told me about you and Naomi.  I suppose it was inevitable with how young you two are and all the time you spent in close proximity.  I guess I had just hoped things would lighten up enough you could have met a local girl instead and not have to deal with all of this.  I wish I could fully explain why the others have such a fixation on you.  My friend suggests my theory of it being a combination of factors does seem to be likely true.  I can't prove or disprove that with what we have here and my friend would have to spend a lot more time evaluating them to be certain as well.  So just be careful Galen.  I can't tell you what to do but what little we can determine and whatever the reasoning behind it to prevent the girls from hurting each other and possibly us or other colonists I have little choice to give you permission to do something I raised you to be against.  I still don't know for sure how long their contraceptives are good for but the tests I can run on them indicate they are really long term and very effective so I at least won't have to worry about a lot of grandchildren in the near future."  Vanessa said flatly sighing as she finished.

Galen could only sit in silent shock.

Heather walked in and waved her hand in front of his face.

"You told him didn't you?"  Heather asked.

"I still don't like it and I still feel like it is a terrible thing to  even suggest but yes."  Vanessa answered.

"Partly my fault I guess for pushing them over the edge but it's still taking advantage in my book little brother."  Heather leaned close in to Galen's face and gave him a playful peck on the cheek.

"What the hell Heather..."  Galen suddenly came fully back to reality.

"It was that or slap you and that seemed less mean and I do need to be a little less mean to you right now with the hornet's nest I kicked up for you."  Heather answered as she poured herself a glass of milk.

Vanessa laughed as she shook her head.

"Sometimes you two are entirely too much.  Well I need to get back to work at the lab.  It is slow work making vaccines and cures with what we have available and there are a lot of people that need them."  Vanessa put her dishes in the sink.

Galen packed his lunch, dinner, and plenty of water for his double shift in the mechbays.

Galen wasn't sure which season he hated more, the height of the hot season or the extreme cold of the worst of the winter.  He was just glad that neither actually lasted that long for the worst of it.

The Battle Cobra was his work assignment this day now that his Battlemaster was finished.  The Clan technology was extremely advanced and it was taking him and John everything they had to work through it.

After his lunch break Ian walked over to them.

"Sorry John but seems like me, Heather, and Galen are needed.  I'll brief you all as we start up and get moving."  Ian shouted from below.

"All your mechs are good to go Ian."  John shouted back.

Galen climbed out of the Clan omnimech and scrambled as fast as he could to the Battlemaster.

He barely thought about it but he noticed he wasn't being put in charge.  So they were not scrambling to battle the Clans.  Ian couldn't pawn off dealing with pirates on Galen with the logic of why he was forcing Galen to be in charge of dealing with the Clans.

"Short version.  Our old pirate friends are back.  They actually radioed ahead for a change and are claiming they have no fighting capacity left and they know we defeated the Clans and are coming here for refuge.  They say they grabbed up what they could to not be a drain on us.  So we're having them set down outside the Maze so we can cover them from good defensive positions that are close enough to town we can put our own people on the ship to make sure everything is as they claim.

"No Naomi?"  Galen asked as he noticed it was just the Welsh family marching out.

"I don't want to tip our hand that we have a fourth mechwarrior at our disposal but to make sure they don't do something stupid and get really lucky I'd like you to order her to stay near the town in her Centurian."  Ian answered.

"Okay.  Keying over.  Naomi as soon as you can deploy in the Centurian near the colony as our rear guard in case the enemy tries a drop or breaks through us.  We'll do our best to get back in time to support you."  Galen worked his comm set.

"Very well Bondsmaster."  Naomi's joy at the prospect of battle was obvious even over the distortion of the radio.

The march takes hours but fortunately with their radar systems they'd be able to see if the dropship deviated from their given course or made any other attempts to drop mechs directly on the colony.  The winds during the early morning and late evening, especially early spring and late fall, would come whipping out of the maze over the colony at high enough speeds to make such a tactic difficult to pull off.

Galen found a pillar to use as cover where he could poke out and hit an enemy mech reasonably enough if he had to.

The familiar pirate Dropship set down.

It looked much more scarred by battle damage than the last time Galen had seen it.  He'd be really surprised if it could survive another re-entry with the way some of the lower panels looked, hell that it survived this re-entry was a miracle because he could swear he saw some actual gaps from bent and broken plates.

The truck full of volunteers drove up to the large sphere.

The ramp and door opened for them.

An eternity of silence made the waiting extremely difficult for Galen.  There was no way they'd hear gunfire in their mechs this far away and it wouldn't be hard to disable their small inspection team before one of them could get on a radio.

Terrible scenario after terrible scenario raced through Galen's mind before a signal finally came back.

"Either they are telling the truth or they are good enough at hiding stuff that I doubt anyone could find it."  The voice of one of the inspection team members broke through the interference.

"Okay bring their leader to the old union meeting hall.  I'd rather not take them into city hall or the family estate in case they do have something up their sleeve.  Heather you and Naomi stay on patrol.  Galen with me.  We'll meet with them and Angus and figure this out."  Ian said as he started marching his King Crab back to the colony.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2020, 15:38:38 »
Sounds workable... look forward to more!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #48 on: 30 May 2020, 16:16:44 »
[Author]  Just a short interruption as much like other writers I just write as stuff comes to me so if I need to step away I'll just post what I've got then come back to it after the distraction.  Plus I'm shifting point of view characters for a moment.  [/Author]

Fatima wished more of her father's pirate band had survived the Clans as she sat at the table looking over at the two obvious mechwarriors.

A father and son.  She knew there was a third from previous encounters but the fourth that she saw on the way in was new to her.

She had no mechwarriors or mechs left to call on and no where near enough combat capable people, let alone weapons to give them to effect a violent take over of this colony.

Part of her still wished to extract revenge as to an irrational part of her mind it was their fault that her father had been killed by the Clans after they had downed two of his lancemates when he returned to their secondary base saving her and as many of his band as he could.

But no if she wanted revenge she could not kill any of the mechwarriors defending this colony and would have to extract it a different way.  As much as she hated to admit it she needed them to protect her people too and they no longer had anywhere to go that wouldn't throw them in jail or worse.  Especially with how many worlds were now in the hands of these Clans.

She eyed the younger mechwarrior covertly.  She was a little older than him but she could tell by the way he was looking at her that he found her desirable but he was also apprehensive about it.  Her ability to read people that allowed her to keep the remains of her father's pirate band rallied around her told her he was involved with someone else.

Still it was her only hope of maintaining some measure of power and if she played her cards right she might be able to wrap him around her finger instead.  She'd just have to be far more forward about it and figure out what she could give him that his current focus couldn't.

"Hello Fatima.  My name in Angus MacLaren and I am the leader of this colony.  I'm certain we all have certain feelings about the other that may make this difficult but I'm equally certain that we can work through this."  Angus said sizing her up.

"Pleased to meet you Angus.  I shall be quite blunt but honest then.  You are probably right and it will most likely be a difficult integration given our past encounters but simply put we don't have anywhere else to go and we're just pragmatic enough that we'll eventually make this work." Fatima answered.

"It is good you brought what food and spare parts you could with you.  Unfortunately we just don't have any housing to put you up in right now."  Angus nodded.

"As long as we can be allowed off the Dropship until such time as housing can be made available.  A suggestion to prove good faith on our part and to ensure my people's cooperation.  Perhaps the tradition of hostage should be observed.  I stay with your militia members there so they can keep an eye on me and if my people misbehave they can do what needs to be done but unless I am completely misreading them they will not mistreat me either."  Fatima laid her trap.

The elder mechwarrior had a most interesting expresdion on his face as he nodded.

"It seems we have an opening frame work.  Let's get you settled so we can take full stock of what you offer and what we can provide you the next few days."  Angus said.

Fatima was shown to a large complex.  It was obviously a barracks at one point but the accomodations inside were much nicer than even what her father had for their home.

It didn't take long as she saw her competition.  She wasn't sure which of the three women was the one that had already claimed the younger mechwarrior's attention yet as they acted rather differently than anyone else she had ran into.

The three came up to Galen as soon as they saw him.

The raw sexual aggression these three were doing well to contain was on full display.

So Fatima would have to share the younger mechwarrior if she had any hopes to carry her plan forward.

He was giving the three instructions about her when she heard something interesting.  They called him Bondsmaster when they acknowledged his instructions.

The evening meal was eventually called.

Fatima unsure of the meat offered to her with her religious beliefs selected available fruits and vegitables for her meal.

Two more women joined the group.  One looked to be a close female relation so Fatima ruled her out as possible competition.  The other.  That was her primary after only a few moments of observing the younger mechwarrior.

After dinner she found a datapad and began reading through it.  It was a primer on Clan society written by Naomi, the one she identified as her primary competition.

The dots were connected now as she read through it.

She knew what she could offer the younger mechwarrior that her competition couldn't, perhaps wouldn't was a better way to put it, even if she would still have to share him with them.

Smiling she kept reading until it was time for bed.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2020, 17:22:36 »
[Author] A million internet points that are worthless and don't mean anything anyway and are totally made up for whoever figures out Fatima's plan and why it won't work the way she thinks it will.  Now back to Galen's point of view as I bring in another competitor.  [/Author]

Welsh family estate
early morning 16 Spetember 3049

Galen was torn about the latest house guest.  Her exotic slightly tanned skin tone, jet black hair, deep green eyes, and a body that inspired typical teenager reactions rather easily in him made him curse his luck that she was a hostage.  Which meant there was just enough implied coersion in his mind that even if she gave permission it was taking advantage.

His train of thought was interrupted though as Heather walked into his room.

"You know I don't envy your luck.  All these attractive young women, all of them giving off the signs they'd let you do what you want with them but you dare not because that'd be taking advantage.  Some of which might get violent again if you don't.  I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you."  Heather walked over and hugged her brother and kissed him on the cheek again.

"What's with all the kisses all of a sudden Heather?  It's weird."  Galen said.

"Still got to mess with you a bit since you are my little brother."  Heather smiled.

"When you put it like that I hate to admit it but that does make me feel better."  Galen admitted.

"Come on, we can talk about who you'll bed next on the way to breakfast.  My money is on Anastasia.  Though Fatima coming from a culture where it has similar enough rules to our own to give valid permission is a strong contender too."  Heather chided.

"Ha ha."  Galen mock laughed.

"Okay I need to not pile on too much because I do still feel bad about setting those women off.  But don't expect too much mercy from me because I know that'll just make it worse.  In fact I heard mom say Makiko will be able to leave the hospital soon.  She'll probably never be able to pilot a mech again with the injuries she suffered so it'll be interesting to see how she'll adjust to being your hot asian harem girl with no chance at becoming a warrior again."  Heather lightly jabbed Galen.

"Galen you're up at the command center.  Seems Clan Wolf is back."  Ian's voice came over the intercom.

"Couldn't wait for breakfast could they?  On my way dad."  Galen said as he found and keyed a wall communication panel.

Galen hurried wishing the heat wasn't so unbearable outside but glad it was only a short exposure as he ran to the groundcar and it's air conditioning.

Making his way to the communication center Galen nodded at Angus.

"He's here Star Colonel Ward."  Angus said.

"Excellent.  Galen Welsh we have returned with what you requested.  Medical and Scientific equipment to aid in your research of your local disease and a scientist to teach you how to use it and aid in the research.  We are also carrying a passenger that wishes to meet with you and the pilot of the King Crab in your possession.  Star Colonel Ava Yeh, a Clan Goliath Scorpion Seeker.  Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Steel Viper also sends word that they will have a representative to work out the terms of your batchal and agreement next week.  I request permission to be your guest until such time."  Star Colonel Gwendlynne Ward's voice came through the distortion.

"I have no objections.  Local wind conditions near the colony can get rather extreme so we'll be glad to provide ground guidance to compensate."  Galen said as he inwardly sighed.

"Very well.  I look forward to meeting with you."  Gwendlynne Ward seemed almost pleased despite the distortion.

"Well I better return home and tell the folks to expect three more house guests."  Galen

The trip home was fortunately much easier on Galen than the trip to town hall.  On a certain level the dread of having to face the Clans in battle was still worse then the dread of telling his parents he unilaterally invited in three more house guests.  But at least they truly would be guests this time.

"Well what are three more at this point."  Ian said shaking his head.

"You know what will happen with your luck don't you?"  Heather laughed.

"Oh god..."  Galen hadn't thought about it until just now.

"This should be most entertaining."  Fatima smirked.

The next few hours waiting for the new guests was pure torture.  When they eventually showed up Galen's worst fears were confirmed.

The uniforms made it easy to tell who was who.  Star Colonel Gwendlynne Ward was easily the most attractive goddess of a red head he had ever seen.  Star Colonel Ava Yeh had the same exotic skin tone of Fatima and was easily just as much of a perfect athletic goddess.  The scientist wasn't athletic but her small petite stature and more mousy bookish air still made her incredibly attractive to Galen's teenage hormone filled brain.

"Well at least with these three you won't go to hell if you hook up with them.  But it would still be poor form as their host."  Heather whispered to Galen.

Galen did everything he could to keep from laughing at the absurdity of his luck that his sister had  successfully predicted.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2020, 01:44:57 »
[Author]  Okay deliberate lie on my part to hide the twist of three competitors entering the fray.  To pull off what I got in mind next I'm probably going to have to switch point of view characters pretty quickly but I think I only need to do it once.  Also I'm now of a mind to not actually do anymore mech fight scenes in story but certainly hint at them being part of Galen's future.  [/Author]

Welsh family estate
nighttime 16 Spetember 3049

Fatima was not pleased with the new arrivals.  With her read of Galen and the three new arrivals could disrupt her plans quite significantly.

If she forced Galen before he made the choice for himself that would ruin everything.  But these new guests were far more viable challengers to her plans than she had counted on.  She would just have to subtly work on him and plant the idea of a political marriage between her and Galen into both Galen and Ian's minds.  It was her only hope now.

As she made her way to her assigned bunk she ran into Naomi.

"Well Naomi I am glad we have this chance to chat.  There is something I feel I can tell you.  I'm going to steal Galen from you.  True I am going to have to share him with you and possibly the others.  His family and friends seem to have accepted that he will not be able to entertain a monogamous relationship in this current situation.  At least for a while.  I know you won't tell Galen about this either because you know that he'll just think you're being jealous and letting your prior Clan bias get the better of you.  Plus I am prepared to give him something you are not to ensure my victory."  Fatima rubbed her lower belly.

"I will not allow you to manipulate my Bondsmaster that way bandit.  Nor will any of the other Bondswomen once I tell them of your aims.  If he wishes to couple with you though we cannot stop him but we will do all in our power to ensure such dishonorable conduct will not work."  Naomi walked off.

"Shit.  She actually cares for him in a way that the document didn't indicate was possible for her and I misread her on top of that.  I don't think I've ever seen someone that devoted to a man before.  Especially a teenager."  Fatima shook her head.

Next morning

Galen came into the kitchen.  It was odd seeing so many women at the table.

"This has been happening with them from the get go?"  The Clan scientist asked Vanessa.

"Yes.  From what we have learned about your society from them it does seem to be at odds with what they tell us is typical."  Vanessa answered.

"My apologies for interrupting but I forgot your name."  Galen sat down.

"I am Linda.  Scientist for Clan Wolf.  I have just completed my qualifications to allow me to be assigned to this task on my own."  The scientist answered.

Galen looked around the table.  Only his mother and father were over the age of 25 by his best guess.

"Most interesting.  It would seem there is something about the way you conduct yourself Galen Welsh that even I find fascinating.  I wish to experience this more."  Gwendlynne Ward said as she waited to be served.

"Ian you were telling me about the King Crab you pilot."  Ava Yeh carefully changed the subject.

"Yes.  It used to belong to another family, the Newcastle family, before they could no longer produce an heir to take over when the time came.  That there were fewer and fewer mechwarrior families has lead us to believe that there is a late stage effect to Colonist's Disease that ends one's ability to pass on the genes needed to produce new generations of mechwarriors.  I will call them to arrange a meeting probably tomorrow."  Ian answered.

"Interesting.  Well with the new equipment I have brought I can hardly wait to start studying this disease.  I could use some control subjects."  Linda.

"I will go since I have had it but been cured of it.  Fatima is the only person at this table that has been here long enough to contract it and hasn't been vaccinated yet.  Which you two should."  Heather volunteered.

"Then I should go as well as someone who has been vaccinated."  Naomi volunteered.

Galen was a little shocked that he didn't have to order any of his Bondswomen to go.

"We will accept the risk of awaiting the scientist's conclusions about your treatment options."  Gwendlynne answered as Ava nodded in agreement.

"Well then Galen I think you should stay here and tend to our guests since the rest of us have to work."  Ian said as he finished his breakfast.

"Okay Dad."  Galen gulped as he felt many predatory eyes turn on him.

"Galen you look a little stressed.  Perhaps you would care to join me in a ceremony that should help you relax."  Ava Yeh spoke up.

The look Ava gave the rest of the table stopped anyone from speaking up as Galen could tell that his Bondswomen knew what was up and were looking for a way to warn him.

"What am I getting myself into?"  Galen answered.

"I will take that as an affirmative.  Follow me."  Ava lead him to the gym where some pads had been laid down to practice hand to hand and grappling techniques on.

"Sit and drink this."  Ava handed Galen a small flask as she took a separate one for herself.

Galen not seeing any other choice did as he was told.  The last thing he remembered was seeing Ava disrobe.

"This is what you have gotten yourself into."  Were the last words he heard before everything became one massive trip.

Galen sat up from the ground, disrobed himself.  He had no idea what had actually happened with Ava or how long ago it was.

Then he looked to his left and Anastasia was there too.  At least she was clothed.

"Ah good Bondsmaster.  The necrosia did not do any permanent damage it seems.  Stay still a bit longer.  Water is already being fetched."  Anastasia steadied Galen.

"What did I do?"  Galen asked looking at the scene around him.

"Only what was needed to relax and release some pent up stress.  Even Ava Yeh could sense it and wished to repay your hospitality by helping you relieve it.  You conducted yourself well.  Not all who take necrosia handle the effects so well."  Anastasia received a glass of water and passed it to Galen.

"Did we?" Galen asked almost afraid to ask.

"Couple?  Yes.  You really needed it Galen.  You can always ask us to help you with that.  It is a great way to relieve the kind of stress you seem to suffer from the most."  Anastasia smiled.

"Bloody hell.  I need a cold shower."  Galen had trouble standing.

"Allow me.  You are still weak from the necrosia."  Anastasia helped prop him up.

Galen knew he needed her help and couldn't say no.  She nodded at whoever had brought them water to bring towels and clothes.

"We're going to now too aren't we?"  Galen asked as she disrobed to help him stand in the shower.

"Unless you find me that undesireable."  Anastasia answered as Galen's response became evident.

"I am so going to hell."  Galen muttered as any sense of self control leave him.

The necrosia as they called it must have still been running through his head causing hallucinations as he could swear he saw John Belore giving him a thumbs up.

As Galen recovered on his bed Heather entered his room.

"Two in the same day?  I know you're pent up with all these lovely ladies around you practically throwing themselves at you but doesn't that seem a bit much?  And taking that necrosia crap on top of it?  I'll keep it from mom and dad because they'd almost certainly say something stupid to our guests and truth be told I think those two could take all of us on at the same time and win, mechs or no mechs."  Heather sighed.

"Thanks.  My head is still pounding coming down from that stuff.  I'm pretty sure my poster explained advanced K-F field theory to me when I laid down.  They say the after effects like those will stop soon."  Galen gave a weak smile at his sister.

"Get some rest Galen.  I'll run interference as best I can."  Heather left Galen's room.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 01 June 2020, 03:29:57 »
Naomi and the other Bondgirls are practical, but direct; Galen cannot get Fatima pregnant if he is kept empty.  They may also tell the plan to the other Clan personnel on-site to get their 'assistance'.

Cue various 'shenanigans' over the next several days, so in the evenings when Fatima tries to flirt with Galen, he just nods to her and goes off to his own room to sleep.

Fatima will soon realize that the Clangirls are careful to keep her away from Galen s she can never get him alone, and recruit 'reinforcements' from the Dropship to help her out.  Her excuse is that the building does need more people helping around so they are not overwhelmed.

Eventually Galen asks the Bondswomen what is going on, and they explain to him directly.  Galen then replies that they could have just asked his mother to give Fatima an injectable contraceptive.  A few weeks later and the mom verifies that the contraceptive is working, there are more misadventures

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #52 on: 01 June 2020, 10:32:36 »
Close enough I still want to award the totally made up and worthless don't mean anything anyway internet points.

The girls would probably approach the Clan Scientist over Vanessa knowing she'd help without it being too much of an issue and Clan contraceptives are not absolutely perfect from what I've researched.  I have found a few hints that freeborn offspring still happen but I do get the sense it is extremely rare and there are some hints that some of the cases are a deliberate choice by the trueborns.

And well Galen does know the Bondswomen are still on it.  The only two things not clear to me is how often it has to be refreshed and how much the warriors themselves know about it in that regard.

Not knowing that for sure about Fatima does help Galen's willpower.

Plus for the cherry on top: Fatima's plan has almost certainly made the Bondswomen think about their future and how to perpetuate their own genetic legacies.  Being in the service of a people that don't have the technology to produce trueborns, and that will not have it in their lifetime, isn't really covered in that regard and there are just enough hints that trueborns that failed as warriors when testing into another caste are expected and accepting, to varying levels, of producing freeborn offspring.  That they were defeated by freeborn warriors, even if the militia fought by Clan rules and didn't use dirty tricks, means that their chances of being re-accepted into a Clan as warriors is in doubt.  At least in their minds*.  With their fixation on Galen, well who knows how long they'll last before they decide to prove Fatima wrong about what they are prepared to offer Galen.

*Given the various incidents of hegira and prisoner exchange other discussions have brought up where trueborn warriors defeated by Inner Sphere forces I feel I need to emphasize it is the perception of the Bondswomen and not absolute fact that their ability to return to Clan service as warriors is in doubt.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #53 on: 01 June 2020, 15:00:48 »
Oh something else I should address that I forgot to.

With the fact the Bondswomen are Bondswomen I'm not sure if they could secure the aid of the Dropship crew that dropped off the three latest arrivals.  Even so I probably should have put it in the story that the Dropships landed, offloaded the three newcomers, their stuff, and left because it was needed in the invasion corridor and thus why the three new arrivals needed to ask to be house guests in the first place.  Which I can wave off as the previous ship was conserving it's LFB if it had one and this one will not be, assuming it is a different ship.  I never decided since it isn't important to the story which is the case.  Just that it is important to where I'm going with this that the Dropship isn't there.  For one reason, even I can't make Galen's luck so terrible that there would not be male warriors as part of the crew that would be more desirable to the trueborn warriors to couple with and the two new trueborn arrivals almost certainly would have just stayed on the ship if I didn't contrive things the way I have.  The freeborn scientist they'd just be 'whatever helps you complete your work faster' and that probably would be having her be a house guest anyway.

Yay having just enough logic that it isn't actually that much of a contrivance at least.

Which I should add that the kind of scientific gear Galen asked for and how quickly he was able to get it, even for how inept the Clans are at actual real war it does seem reasonable they would be forward thinking enough to bring scientists and research equipment to make sure that their warriors could be kept in the fight or returned to it in short order if they did encounter some new local disease.

Though all said and done I am just trying to figure out how to wrap this up at this point because I don't think I can draw this out much more without it getting repetitive.

I also just realized something in working out Galen's final harem for who is going to be in it and who I was considering to be only temporary additions at best.

I was thinking I'd have to have Linda proclaim Vanessa's vaccine 'good enough' but the Clans being the Clans they would want a disease able to end the ability of mechwarriors to be mechwarriors to be more thoroughly studied she would be left on planet and maybe even sent research assistants toward that end and even Clan medical science needs time to do deep dives like that.  Though these research assistants I'd keep in the background to not go any further overboard and maybe toy with them mingling with the locals.  Ava Yeh and Gwendlynne Ward though are the ones I was considering to be temporary then I had the stupid thought that even with Linda's approval of Vanessa's vaccine and cure it actually would not be out of the question that they would not take any chances and effectively leave them there until the more thorough study was complete.

So I think I have how to end the story forming up in my head now.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 01 June 2020, 20:28:03 »
[Author]  And yeah unless I stall out I think this will be the end of the story.  No promises but with the continuing lockdown in my area I can't say I'll never come back to this and expand on a few of the background things.  [/Author]

Welsh family estate
late morning 17 September 3049

Gwendlynne looked at the preliminary report from Scientist Linda then over to Ava Yeh.  She had asked Linda to have a second copy for Ava as she deserved to know too.  There was no doubt they had both came to the same conclusions.

They would be isolated here.  Entirely probable for the rest of their lives.  Just to ensure they would not spread the disease to the rest of the warriors.  Despite the existing vaccine and cure being effective even if there were side effects.  That would spare the planet from extreme solutions at least.

The frustration at missing out on the invasion was building in her even now.  But she knew she could not excise it via combat.  Galen in his proposal did mention the existence of the disease even if he did leave out the full nature of it.  It was an error that was frustrating but not dishonest or malicious.

Trying to claim the world with a trial of possession was also now equally absurd.  No Clan would risk settling here permanently now or integrate the population.  There would always be that last little seed of doubt in the back of every trueborn warrior's mind despite any promises made by the Scientist caste.  At least for the foreseeable future.

What made her frustration worse was knowing that if she desired to couple her options were now quite limited.  Ava would certainly make an acceptable partner but both preferred to couple with males.  Which meant if they did want the company of a man it'd have to be a local, a freeborn.

The thought stung her trueborn pride.  The only option to not make it sting further would to at least choose one of the warriors.

The first option, Ian, was older and married to Vanessa.

Marriage was an odd concept to her but she knew how important it was to freebirths and she could not alienate her hosts without making her dishonor complete.

Which left but one option.  Galen.  He had shown he was not overly concerned with such concepts and there was something about him that despite him being a freeborn made him alluring, softening the blow to her pride.  Factoring in his youth settled it.

It was settled.  She would not wait.  If she was to do this she would do it now before she changed her mind or her frustration boiled over and caused her to dishonor herself further.

She walked quickly into Galen's room.  He was still laying in bed.

"We will couple now Galen Welsh.  Unless you wish to cause a grievance, queneg?"  Gwendlynne said flatly as she closed the door.

Galen just silently nodded his head knowing he was in another no-win scenario.

some time later...

By the time Galen arrived at the breakfast table it was just Vanessa, Linda, and Gwendlynne there.

"Galen, I know what has been happening.  Heather tried to hide it but it is obvious.  Part of me still does not like that the evidence is mounting that a traditional relationship is impossible for you.  Heck even Fatima seems determined to get in on it now even if her reasons for doing so are different.  Yes I overheard Linda and Naomi in the lab yesterday talking about what Fatima is planning.  So I make the only decision I can.  It is okay.  Go ahead.  Denying these women is obviously causing you a great deal of stress and due to the combination of variables it does them no good either.  If I wind up with a bunch of grand children from it, well I had been hoping to be one before the turn of events ensured you and Heather could not make me one any time soon.  Now that Linda has confirmed a few things it seems that is a possibility again though I now have to accept you will be doing it with multiple women."  Vanessa said obviously depressed.

Galen knew the truth to it too.  It was like a flood gate had been opened and there was nothing to do but go with the current and hope to not drown.

John would be insufferable once he learned of this but in the end he knew the rest of the colony would just accept it.  Polygamous relationships were not unheard of in the colony, especially in the past.

"Has he at least satisfied you two?"  Vanessa broke the prolonged silence.

"I have no complaints."  Ava answered without hesitation.

"He is acceptable as a partner, even if he is a freeborn."  Gwendlynne added with less disdain to the word freeborn then she had been using previously.

"I suppose if you two are going to be stuck with us, we do need to figure out a few things."  Galen tried changing the subject.

"This is a situation not encountered in Clan history before.  We dare not take this place in a trial of possession.  We can expect no resupply and perhaps I am already afflicted with this disease but I find myself not desiring a glorious death in combat and have hope we may eventually be allowed to leave which means my options to continue being a warrior are quite limited until that time."  Ava spoke up.

"I too find myself not ready to give up on a possible return to my Clan and being a warrior seeking glory and honor in combat but I know your militia would be limited sport at best and by now most of the bandits in this region of space have been annihilated.  What do you say Ava, shall we become Galen's Bondswomen?  It seems the easiest way to settle our roles here and how to move forward."  Gwendlynne added.

"That would seem to be the ideal way.  Indeed I would say he has managed most masterful strategy already if you think about it by driving us both to couple with him and thus it would seem to have proven our superior."  Ava contemplated.

"I accept your interpretation Ava Yeh.  Most cunning Galen Welsh.  That is a most unorthodox but not dishonorable strategy.  Before we make it official there is one other matter to take care of.  Scientist Linda this highly unusual situation forces me to give you permission to decide your own fate for yourself."  Gwendlynne actually smiled.

"In that case I look forward to getting you in the lab Galen Welsh.  I have many tests I wish to run on you."  Somehow Galen was not surprised at the seductive tone in Linda's voice.

It was just Galen's luck that the scientist wanted to join in too.

"Well I need to go to medbay instead of the lab today.  I do not know if I want to bring Makiko back here because I know she will be more than glad to jump in on this harem you seem to have collected for yourself Galen but I  can not keep her in medbay much longer and this is the only other place where she can get the continued medical care she will need."  Vanessa lamented.

Galen had almost forgotten about Makiko in all this insanity.  He supposed since he helped save her life it would only be natural for her to wish to repay him that way and he had to admit he doubted he could stop himself at this point.

that evening

Galen was helping Makiko out of the tub.  Now that she was her he was the only one she would let help her.  He could get her to budge a little if he also needed the help of one of the other Bondswomen.  So he was confident that she would eventually soften on that and let others help her.

"Thank you Bondsmaster.  I regret being such a burden."  The small Asian woman said as Naomi wrapped a towel around Makiko.

"You are not a burden.  You just need to heal.  You suffered quite the injuries."  Galen soothed her.

His mother had done quite the job keeping the injuries from marring Makiko too badly as she was still very attractive even with all the scars.

"Your kindness is most welcome Bondsmaster.  When I recover enough I will have to show my appreciation."  The undertone was not lost on Galen.

"Well for now just concentrate on healing.  There is such a thing as overtaxing one self and you have much to contribute to this colony yet."  Galen tried shifting the topic some.

"Yes.  Our offspring would bring much to this colony."  Makiko winced slightly as Naomi dried her off.

The hints from all the bondswomen about having his children were increasing.  That Fatima wanted his too in some twisted power play made him only question one thing.

Which one would be first?

As he looked into Naomi's eyes he knew his answer.  At least as long as that was what she really wanted too and one of the others didn't force the issue.

He didn't know how many would eventually join her but he knew she would not be the only one.

Living area
Welsh Family Estate
12 December 3049

After the Falcons showed up and read Linda's report it did trigger pretty much the anticipated response.  The Clans just decided the world was not worth bothering with and did effectively exile Gwendlynne, Ava, and Linda.

So the threat of the Clans was over and no further bandits came since but the possibility still existed.  So the militia still trained but was largely stood down so people could go back to working on tractors and air conditioning units.

The remains of the bandits were still a bit troublesome now and again but they were behaving themselves well enough in their new reality.

To help with that Galen had to give in and give Fatima what she wanted but Naomi beat her to the punch.  Fatima still sparred with Naomi about which one was the head of the harem but both had settled into the unconventional relationship well enough he supposed and Fatima seemed to actually develop real affection for him somehow.

Ian, Vanessa, and Heather decided to move out to give Galen his privacy.  Heather was now dating a local man too now that the militia wasn't on high alert anymore.

Galen supposed it could be worse.

"Me next Bondsmaster."  Makiko mewled as she slid next to Galen in his bed.

But he'd be lying if he said he wouldn't rather have a more conventional relationship because this one would still likely drive him to an early grave.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #55 on: 01 June 2020, 22:54:47 »
Okay so I didn't last long before deciding to do some aftwards/cleanup/expansion.

For the ending I thought about a couple things.  First and foremost was how insignificant the planet really is.  With the invasion corridor as established as it was by that point anyway I just don't think the Clans would care about that planet anymore.  Add in the threat of the disease and yeah I'd see the Clans of this era going 'we would have to invest more than the world is worth to cure it one way or the other and we have bigger fish to fry' and just wash their hands if it irregardless of Galen winning two duels.

A total population of about 3,000 is what I managed to come up with for this world and even then I had to put in a lot of dependents to have a reasonable population base to start with for a fully staffed mercenary mech company with transport assets kind of helps sell that a bit.

I doubt I'll ever fully detail Colonist's Disease.  Mostly I just needed something to make it so only Galen was available off the bat so it had to be something that messes with brain chemistry* and if left unchecked** even eliminate the ability to pass on the talent to be a mechwarrior*** but to grow the harem I needed at least one bigger fight so I did have to cure Ian and Heather at least.

*  And I know just enough about that to know that can wind up with other side effects that I could use it to justify trueborn warriors as the main source of the harem when combined with the Clan's already very open attitude towards sex and how it is not unreasonable even with out that they would be drawn to Galen over anyone else.  It just made it more pronounced.

**  Which given the limited resources of the colony they had little choice but to effectively leave it unchecked despite trying to actively combat it as much as they could.

***  It is pretty heavily hinted at that the ability to become a mechwarrior is indeed an inherited talent that not everyone has or can train to get.  That the Clans can make this as much a certainty that they do speaks volumes to just capable they can be at genetic engineering when they want to be.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 01 June 2020, 23:58:30 »
Well, it was an interesting ride as long as it lasted though.  8)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #57 on: 02 June 2020, 00:57:42 »
Glad you enjoyed.

Though I admit looking back I could have involved some of the other bondswomen more and given them more personality and involvement with the story and I really should have figured out a way to contrive regular jumpship traffic to the colony so that it could connect to the wider Battletech universe more readily.

A lot for me to think about as I debate what my next project should be for as much as I might be spreading myself a bit thin with a lot of creative projects I am just having some serious creative blocks with a couple anyway.
If the lockdown in my area keeps going much longer it won't be like I have much of anything else to do with my time on top of that.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Enter the Fray-The Lost Chapters
« Reply #58 on: 06 June 2020, 12:11:42 »
[Author]  Okay it is either come back and work on this some or start a totally terribletm new story that I may eventually do up anyway in the near future.  For now enjoy some lost chapters where I go back and point of view the ladies that got left in the background a bit to do them a bit more justice.  Expect varying levels of retcon.  I'll do my best not to outright contradict anything but no promises.  [/Author]

Gym
Welsh Family Estate
morning 8 September 3049

Anastasia was stretching out in preparation for her morning workout with her former star mates and current co-Bondswomen.

"So I get the whole trueborn thing but do you still date in the Clans?"  Heather asked as she stretched out too.

"If I take your meaning about the term 'date' in this context correctly, yes we do still arrange to spend time with those whose company we find enjoyable."  Anastasia answered.

"Okay.  So how many before you decide to have sex for the first time?"  Heather asked.

"Coupling does not depend on dating.  If we find someone desirable we are not afraid to make our intentions known."  Matilda added.

"But I see the way you look at my brother though.  So what gives?"  Heather stood up.

"He is my bondsmaster.  Until I prove myself as his equal it would be inappropriate for me to initiate coupling."  Rosalita chimed in as she finished stretching as well.

"He was my bondmaster first."  Naomi spoke up.

"Yes.  You should get the honor of coupling with him first.  Then I shall..."  Anastasia started

"No! He's my bondsmaster!"  Rosalita shouted.

"No! Mine!"  Matilda joined in.

Anastasia knew what they really meant and if they were still warriors there would be trials of grievance being issued right now.

It did not help matters much that she too was somewhat pent up.  Not anticipating being taken as a bondswoman Anastasia had not coupled for some time thinking she would have plenty of opportunity in the coming invasion.  She knew her fellow bondswomen had made similar decisions.

Then there was the way Galen behaved.  He displayed an attitude not common in the Clans and Anastasia found it fueled her desire for him.

The bickering was an unintelligible noise of raised voices now.  Even Anastasia was no longer concsiously aware of what she was saying or arguing about.

"Enough.  Galen is our bondsmaster.  For now he chooses.  Not us.  He has directed me to lead us on a ten lap run around the outside of the complex.  He also expressed that he would be displeased if any of us falter."  Naomi broke the argument.

Anastasia had quickly learned that this was the hottest time of the year for this world.  It was enough to register on her mech's heat sink monitor when she marched to face Ian Welsh.

Still she was a trueborn.  Bred and trained to perform in adverse conditions.

These ten laps would be nothing.

Ten laps in weather hot enough to register on a mech's heat scale later

Anastasia was trembling slightly but she had not faltered.  None of them had.  But all of them shared a look that communicated how close of a thing it was and how brutal the ordeal had been.

It was a measure that a trueborn bondsmaster would order.  That Galen was willing to put them through that, well that just made her desire him more.

Galen also made it clear that she would have to be more than a warrior in this colony.  Her choices were work on mechs like Galen and Naomi.  While she could do a few battlefield repairs and bypasses this was not a particularly appealing option.  The other option was she had trained to be a medic on the idea if a warrior was injured the closest aid would be another warrior.  So she would be helping in the medical complex.

A shower and a trip in a groundcar later she was at what the colony considered a hospital.

"Anastasia is it?  I will be tied up making vaccines and cures for Colonist's Disease so I have asked Doctor Julian Stuart here to accept you as his nurse."  Vanessa Welsh greeted Anastasia.

"I understand."  Anastasia answered.

"Let me show you around."  Julian smiled.

The complex was larger than what the colony really needed but Anastasia supposed that was a deliberate choice by the builders so that as the population grew they would have the facilities already in place to support them.

The equipment was not as advanced as Clan technology but it certainly seemed adequate.

Then they came to the ICU ward.  Makiko was laying unconscious in a bed hooked to many machines.

"Your friend will live.  She should even recover enough to be a productive member of society again but her days as a mechwarrior are over.  At least with the science and technology available to us."  Julian reassured Anastasia.

"A pity.  But yes at least she will live."  Anastasia held back that Makiko should be allowed to die.

"The biggest shortage of the colony is manpower.  So we need her and frankly we need her to bear children.  So we will do all we can to save her."  Julian seemed to pick up on Anastasia's inner thought.

It was a surprisingly Clan like attitude when Anastasia thought about it.

"You are right.  Perhaps we should get to work?"  Anastasia answered.

"Yes.  Most of what we'll face for the next few days will be fools pushing themselves too hard in the heat."  Julian answered.

The rest of her day went as predicted with the only notable events being a couple of the younger locals making lewd comments about her and how she made scrubs look good.  One even pinched her but Anastasia managed to keep herself from striking him but the glare she gave him back made it clear what would happen next time, bondswoman or not.

In a way as much as it angered her she still found it flattering and proper.  A trueborn warrior is supposed to be the ideal of what humanity is capable of after all and to her that included being physically perfect.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 06 June 2020, 13:22:41 »
"Nurse" is the wrong term there... "assistant" maybe.  Nursing is its own profession.