Author Topic: GameCraft 6mm city streets & buildings  (Read 14498 times)

R4360

• Corporal
Re: GameCraft 6mm city streets & buildings
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2018, 10:16:18 »
Some new stuff. This time the MDF buildings are from Blotz.co.uk.  1920s Art Deco style doesn't really mesh with Battletech, but the buildings look so good I don't care.  The tall buildings in back are more from GameCraft.

The larger MDF building is assembled in sections, and you can stack multiple center sections on top of each other to increase the height of the building if you want. 

And a closeup of the taller MDF building:

Some of the laser cut detail can be a little fragile, but I think I've got the hang of assembling them now. I have 4 or 5 more to do from this batch, and I think I'll get some more in this range too.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2018, 11:03:50 »
Nah, the mix of styles will work great!  It makes the city more realistic IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2018, 15:37:33 »
Nah, the mix of styles will work great!  It makes the city more realistic IMO.
^This.  Plus, those look reasonable enough.  Mankind is spread across hundreds of worlds, Art Deco must be hip somewhere!

That said, for those particular GCM buildings, I feel like there was some missed potential with the peak.  It just feels so empty, begging to be filled in with something.  I wouldn't mind if Allen would release some kind of after-market "kit" to liven things up on these.
Hayden

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2018, 16:33:36 »
If you wanted to get really detailed you could turn it into a 'skylight' type of opening, just put some detail on the floor below w/maybe a half floor perched higher.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2018, 17:03:38 »
1920s Art Deco style doesn't really mesh with Battletech, but the buildings look so good I don't care.
Different planets with different cultures have different architects designing buildings with different materials available for construction. Everything is possible. ;)

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2018, 19:39:07 »
The GCM stuff will have blue window film put behind it to simulate windows once I'm done painting them, so that will help quite a bit there.  They're also pretty east to dress up with plastic L or bar stock to add some details.  I am going to be ordering some more stuff from Blotz in the near future, along with some extra center sections to make them taller.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2018, 09:30:01 »

I was finally able to get these into sealer over the weekend, and there's one new building to go with the others:

I'm pleased with how these came out, and I've got  a few more on order.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #37 on: 11 June 2018, 11:22:15 »
Leaving as-is?  No painting?
Colt Ward

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 11 June 2018, 14:30:35 »
They'll be painted. This was a sandable lacquer sealer I use on all my MDF & matboard buildings to that the material doesn't soak up paint.  Now I do a final check for things that need to be sanded or have putty applied to fill, then a final seal coat, primer & paint.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 14:21:49 by R4360 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 11 June 2018, 14:48:04 »
Yeah, I think a messed up one of my laser cut buildings by not putting any sort of gap filler in a a few spots.  Thinking of using wood glue which is supposed to be able to be sanded?
Colt Ward

abou

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 11 June 2018, 19:24:13 »
Yeah, I think a messed up one of my laser cut buildings by not putting any sort of gap filler in a a few spots.  Thinking of using wood glue which is supposed to be able to be sanded?
Depends on the glue. If you want something that can be sanded, you are probably better off using epoxy or superglue.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2018, 20:29:54 »
Well, after painting some of it has the wood grain look so I do not want that as it should be concrete.
Colt Ward

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 12 June 2018, 12:48:58 »
This has good info for working with matboard kits, and most would apply to MDF as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbo20gyy8WI&t=92s