Author Topic: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery  (Read 183485 times)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery
« on: 23 January 2014, 17:09:36 »
Hello! This is the new thread regarding Gun Geekery. Here's the link to the last one:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,21677.1470.html

Please, remind that there are several topics linked to guns that can be against rule 4. Please, stay away from politics. The last thread has been a fine example of people following this advice and having fun.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2014, 20:18:44 »
Open fire!

Okay, I'll start off with a question.  If there was one gun that you could own, something you would buy when you win the lottery, what would it be?  Name your heart's deepest desire.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2014, 20:25:21 »
Probably something I'd have to get a DD tax stamp for (autos have never held any charm for me). Perhaps an antitank gun, or maybe one of the XM25-style weapons. Now me, personally, I'd look into some sort of shotgun-esque flechette or fragmenting rounds, if not armor-piercing. For those who are worried about gangsters having MRAPs  ;D ;D

I've never seen the appeal of 'tacticool' rifles that cost four times as much as a basic DPMS AR, nor do I obsess over accuracy. If it's rated for 5.56 (not just .223) holds up to abuse, and shoots reasonably straight, it's A-Ok in my book. That's why I didn't select one of the fancy rifle platforms some folks like nowadays.
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2014, 20:34:10 »
Thompson Submachine Gun, hands down. Not sure what hoops I would have to jump through to get it, but if I had the money...
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2014, 21:02:33 »
Thompson Submachine Gun, hands down. Not sure what hoops I would have to jump through to get it, but if I had the money...

Move to Pennsylvania or nearly anywhere else outside the Northeast. Then it's a simple matter of running the paperwork, waiting, and paying roughly the cost of an economy car  :D O0
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2014, 21:06:09 »
Ma Deuce...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2014, 21:07:18 »
It's impractical and I have no use for it, but if I hit the lottery and had money to burn I'd probably pick up a LeMat Revolver, because I've always thought they were a nifty concept.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2014, 21:08:51 »
A Bren 10 just like Sonny Crockett used in Miami Vice. No good reason why that I can think of, but if I had money to burn then why the heck not?
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2014, 21:50:02 »
A Bren 10 just like Sonny Crockett used in Miami Vice. No good reason why that I can think of, but if I had money to burn then why the heck not?

Plus if you win the lotto you could get the Ferrari to match!

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2014, 22:43:17 »
LAR 47 An AK's reliability power and penetratio with an AR's recoil and accuracy. Don't think you can get much better than that.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2014, 23:00:51 »
Move to Pennsylvania or nearly anywhere else outside the Northeast. Then it's a simple matter of running the paperwork, waiting, and paying roughly the cost of an economy car  :D O0

Sad part is I live one state from PA, problem is its New Jersey...

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2014, 00:52:48 »
if money was no object, an early Model Lee Enfield AND a Rifle #4 Mk II Lee Enfield. Oh and maybe a Ross
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2014, 02:16:58 »
I'd have someone design and hand-build me a semi-auto Bren. Stuff like the PTRD and Lahti L-39 are legal up here, but good luck finding ammo.

.303? You can practically find it at the hardware store

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2014, 02:24:00 »
Only practically?  Down here the hardware store is one of the first places to check for ammo.  That or Wal-Mart.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2014, 02:27:47 »
to be honest I don't have a lot of interest in guns, in the to own sense, the ones that did peak my interest slightly, however were something like the m16 platform, the m60, and the p90, oh and one of the automatic shotguns from the "sons of guns" show like the one the daughter had altho I would not want it in those dayglow colors.

to be honest if I did have lottery big money, the thing that actually interests me is a car or 2, like a Lamborghini Countach (mabie a kit car version IE with a chevy v8 motor ) and the other car that is really making me drool a bit is something like the Tesla motors model S car

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2014, 02:29:50 »
Only practically?  Down here the hardware store is one of the first places to check for ammo.  That or Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart here too. Some Canadian Tires (depends on the store manager). Not a lot of independent hardware stores in the city. Home Depot basically cleaned up shop.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2014, 04:36:45 »
If I won the lottery wouldnt be buying mundane stuff like Thompsons or M2s

I'd get a gyrojet gun.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2014, 10:09:52 »
If I won the lottery wouldnt be buying mundane stuff like Thompsons or M2s

I'd get a gyrojet gun.

Gyrojet Gun is nice, but the ammunition is just to high in cost!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2014, 11:27:53 »
Open fire!

Okay, I'll start off with a question.  If there was one gun that you could own, something you would buy when you win the lottery, what would it be?  Name your heart's deepest desire.

http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136822

"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

hawkins180

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2014, 11:29:14 »
If I won the lottery, I'd try and find a M1941 Johnson
"Okay, credit where it's due: for a little idiot built specifically to come up with stupid, unworkable plans, that was a pretty well-laid trap. " GLaDOS

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2014, 13:00:38 »
Martini-Henry or a Snider-Enfield or both.
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2014, 13:13:46 »
With a nice sized lottery win in the bank I would have the good folks at David McKay Brown make me a 20 gauge over-under

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2014, 15:15:18 »
Open fire!

Barrett M107.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 24 January 2014, 17:34:29 »
The Dillon Minigun?

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2014, 23:57:44 »
I note that noone has mentioned the 24k gold plated Desert Eagle.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2014, 00:02:52 »
I'd get myself a de-milled M14, because it's a damn fine rifle even without select-fire.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2014, 02:31:44 »
I note that noone has mentioned the 24k gold plated Desert Eagle.

because we're smarter than that. We want neat and usable, not gaudy and pointless, especially the neat.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2014, 03:57:06 »
Well a lot of the guns I want to own are actually in the affordable range and wouldn't require a lottery win to buy. But something I would like to own is the RAF 1911 in .455 Webley. Mainly because it is a rather unique gun. Partly because if someone were to spout the usual claim that .45 ACP is better than 9mm because it is bigger, I could pull out the RAF 1911 and see how they react.

Though I must say I am also tempted to track down the owner of this Persian Luger and offer him some money for it. I find it a very tastefully done gun. Especially for the region that gave us the gold plated everything.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2014, 15:01:12 »
The Luger is a very nice gun, and that is a very nice example of one.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #29 on: 25 January 2014, 18:00:38 »
.55 Boys Anti-Tank Rifle or failing that, one of those 25mm XM109 anti-material rifles. Never will happen but I can wish can't I?

Register