Author Topic: World of Warships Beta  (Read 156725 times)

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
World of Warships Beta
« on: 16 April 2015, 23:31:51 »
Anyone else in it yet?

Thoughts?

For my self, I am loving it since I downloaded the game a few hours ago. Everything like what I have seen in youtube videos though I am only tier 2 right now lol.  :D

Torpedoes are awesome one shot potential weapons if you have the skill and luck to use them. Probably will go up the American destroyer line first since I have the Simms pre-order destroyer already and I want to get good at playing them before jumping into a high tier ship.

Cruisers would be my next class and then probably aircraft carriers.

I really want the North Carolina class Battleship(been inside it twice and it's basically my home state soo yeah), hopefully American BB's get in the game soon.
Made by HikageMaru

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: World of Warships Beta
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2015, 00:03:01 »
I've been waiting for open beta for so long now it isn't funny anymore.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2015, 08:06:01 »
While I've watched Jingles and Quickybaby play on streams and Youtube, plus I have a friend trying to persuade me to play, I'll probably wait until the British are added. If Wargaming treat the British lines the same as they do in WoT, then I'll give it a pass, something I know I'm not alone in deciding.

That said, it does look decent, although the potential for TKing trollage is high. I expect a lot of torpedo spreads will be "accidentally" fired so that they hit friends rather than foes. One thing I really did like is that the disparity between different tiers doesn't appear to be as important as in WoT. Admittedly that may be because the majority of games I've watched had been mid to low tier, and it may change greatly with the higher tiers, but it seems that a low tier ship that somehow finds itself in a much higher tier game can still be useful with even an average player.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2015, 10:20:45 »
While I too would prefer to wait until the British are added, after all the Q Class Destroyer RKAS Cheiftan needs to terrorize wallet warriors again, I'll make do with USN, IJN, and Soviet lines.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2015, 19:07:16 »
I got to play early run of the game this past PAX East.   I am a big ship junky, but i haven't played any of the WoW games.

Graphics were impressive, but didn't get hand of the game play.   I kept missing alot before my time was up.  They're packing a lot of ships in this game.  I'm not sure if i want get into it or not. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2015, 20:00:45 »
I got in CBT when they first announced it, but I only got up to T7 (across US and Japan... on all the ship lines). So take that "only" with a bit of salt.

Destroyers change at around T5-T6. Everyone else gets spotting planes and a lot more experienced at dodging torps and prioritizing DDs. So I wouldn't buy anything yet until you've experienced the higher tiers.

I really did enjoy it, now I'm just waiting for new ships (like the USN BBs) and of course the British vessels. Right now, the US Cruisers are pretty awesome. So many guns with quick reloads.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2015, 22:39:03 »
I just recently got the St. Lois American cruiser unlocked fully and wow....8 gun broadsides are just beautiful. Also managed to get three torpedo kills using one of my destroyers before getting taken out. Not sure if I want to try out the Langley carrier next or continue up the cruiser line. Unlike WoT's arty, I am actually interested in carriers in WoWS.

Also, I don't get why Wargaming is putting in the Russians before the British, German, French or Italian lines of warships...basically EVERYONE had a bigger and better navy then the Russians during WWII. I mean, I get it since they are from around that area and all, it just seems like another short line of ships like the Chinese on the WoT's side unless they dig really, really deep for even more fictional warships, not to mention aircraft carriers....
Made by HikageMaru

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2015, 23:12:42 »
I just recently got the St. Lois American cruiser unlocked fully and wow....8 gun broadsides are just beautiful. Also managed to get three torpedo kills using one of my destroyers before getting taken out. Not sure if I want to try out the Langley carrier next or continue up the cruiser line. Unlike WoT's arty, I am actually interested in carriers in WoWS.

Also, I don't get why Wargaming is putting in the Russians before the British, German, French or Italian lines of warships...basically EVERYONE had a bigger and better navy then the Russians during WWII. I mean, I get it since they are from around that area and all, it just seems like another short line of ships like the Chinese on the WoT's side unless they dig really, really deep for even more fictional warships, not to mention aircraft carriers....
they are a Russian game company so of course they are going to show their "pride" by focusing on their national units

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2015, 01:51:45 »
they are a Russian game company so of course they are going to show their "pride" by focusing on their national units

Arent they from Belarus?  Still would be the Soviet navy though.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2015, 07:58:41 »
I hope this game comes out soon. It's going to be great.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2015, 11:42:38 »
Picked up the Simms preorder to get in.  So far loving the American cruiser line.  I'm thinking American Cruisers and BB's, then German and British as they get added.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2015, 14:49:42 »
Almost got the Tier V Omaha unlocked and got the first Japanese BB unlocked. Can't wait for the Tier V Kongo }:)
Made by HikageMaru

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2015, 10:15:04 »
Anyone know when the game is supposed to be "released"?
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2015, 10:16:36 »
No announced date as yet but I can't imagine it'll be much longer with the pre-order bundles already released.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2015, 12:10:13 »
Almost got the Tier V Omaha unlocked and got the first Japanese BB unlocked. Can't wait for the Tier V Kongo }:)
Best game yet in the Omaha, 260k credits, 2600 exp and 4 kills.  That was a fun one.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2015, 23:01:30 »
I love the Omaha(finally unlocked it) since it can do everything from guns, to torps to recon planes and it has the speed to run down destroyers and cruisers. In one of my first games with it, I held a flank from two destroyers who were trying to make a run on our carriers and stopped them easily.

What the Omaha can't do is take a hit. Anything from torpedoes to medium to heavy gunfire takes out huge chunks of health. Heck, I have been one shotted several times now.

Can't wait for the Cleveland class cruiser...better armor, good speed, tons of rapid firing guns and excellent AA. Looks to be right up my alley along with the premium Atlanta class cruiser.

My destroyer kills seem to be leveling out as well since I am now facing tier V Kongo BB's and American Carriers that can almost pace me...how can I use torps if they can keep range....bit annoying but what can you do...

Also, BB's take a LOONNNG time to reload their guns so make your shots count or else...
Made by HikageMaru

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2015, 23:37:54 »
What the Omaha can't do is take a hit. Anything from torpedoes to medium to heavy gunfire takes out huge chunks of health. Heck, I have been one shotted several times now.

I feel like I should be disgruntled about this. Let's see one of them fancy Russian ships make a 16,000 mile voyage to the nearest decent drydock after getting bombed.  [madflame]

(my great uncle served on her, and I read a book about that ship possibly a dozen times)

I may have to give this a try at some point.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2015, 13:02:56 »
I feel like I should be disgruntled about this. Let's see one of them fancy Russian ships make a 16,000 mile voyage to the nearest decent drydock after getting bombed.  [madflame]

(my great uncle served on her, and I read a book about that ship possibly a dozen times)

I may have to give this a try at some point.
The one shots I have died from are usually from a battleship/heavy cruiser or a Torpedo in the right spot. 

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2015, 13:12:46 »
The next patch will have a lot of balance changes, apparently, and may include the IJN CVs or the USN BBs. Or both.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2015, 14:27:25 »
The next patch will have a lot of balance changes, apparently, and may include the IJN CVs or the USN BBs. Or both.
I hope they bring in the US BB's.  USS West Virginia here I come.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2015, 15:32:47 »

Credit given though, few nations can claim to have conducted artillery bombardments from a sunken battleship. The Russians sure can- the Marat was sunk by Stukas, but the ship settled into the muck on a more or less even keel, the main deck still above water (at least at low tide), and the aft turret- later both aft turrets- were made operational again.

Small fleet and not a well-equipped one by any stretch, but give the Russian Navy this- they had giant brass ones at least.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2015, 22:06:01 »
No argument there but if your fighting from a sunken ship in the first place...well...

Also, I managed to unlock the first American carrier the Langley and played one Co-Op(vs AI bots) mission with it. Not bad but I feel like I am disconnected from the game a bit due to the overhead viewpoint but I had that feeling using Arty in WoT as well so nothing really bad. It is cool having to choose which squadron does what at what time. I think having more then two squadrons might help things along as well lol.

Almost to the tier IV Jap BB, probably one more battle to go for that but still a long way off for the Cleveland cruiser.

Also, played a new map today that was just complete open sea with just some fog to keep us from seeing each other too early. Usually the maps have a ton of little islands around the map to provide cover and fire lanes etc so an open sea map was different. Of course it helped that I did well in that match and the team won as a whole.

When American BB's come out, I will make a bee-line for the North Carolina class BB. First fast battleship class made by the Americans and I managed to tour it twice and get some books about it. Yes, the Iowa class has lasted the longest and the Montana class looks awesome but the North Carolina class just makes me happy. Excellent service history for both ships with little fanfare or time in the spotlight.
Made by HikageMaru

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2015, 22:28:07 »
I think I want (if I play the game) to get to play http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Washington_(BB-56)
so it looks like I would be interested in a north Carolina class as well

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 20 April 2015, 23:21:51 »
Imagine if the Washington had managed to take on the Tirpitz during the War...that would have been epic. >:D
Made by HikageMaru

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2015, 20:32:54 »
Just got 6 kills with torpedoes from a Umikaze  ;D Cruisers really need to learn how to turn   :D
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2015, 20:42:57 »
I have only gone up the Jap line for the BB's...probably will add cruisers and destroyers eventually but I still want to concentrate on my Tier V American ships like the Omaha cruiser.

Also managed to get a good game in the Omaha tonight. Was outnumbered 3 to 2 on the eastern seaboard including a tier VI Fuso BB but I somehow held off and sunk both enemy DD's and then assisted a tier V Kongo in taking out the Fuso. Survived two fires, one destroyed turret and had only a third of my health left at the end. It felt good.  }:)
Made by HikageMaru

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2015, 22:20:30 »
I want the IJN Heavy Cruiser line. I really want to see if they will bring in the Tone, 6 scout planes could be very powerful scout cruiser. But what I most want is the Takao  [drool].....

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 23 April 2015, 22:38:12 »
I'm up to the Nagato and Mogami in the BB/Cruiser lines - Minekaze in the DD line.

I've had some really great game in the DDs - but getting used to the handling compared to the heavier ships is tricky.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 24 April 2015, 23:51:01 »
Whoo! Finally got the Cleveland and I've had some great games in it. Very good ship if you like the gun spam style of play. Definitely a keeper for me. :)
Made by HikageMaru

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 28 April 2015, 19:24:18 »
No argument there but if your fighting from a sunken ship in the first place...well...
Well, in your favor, you can't sink any LOWER...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!