Author Topic: Far Cry 5: Share the Insanity  (Read 32057 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Far Cry 5: Share the Insanity
« Reply #150 on: 07 April 2018, 18:12:28 »
If anyone's having trouble with the live event, a shotgun loaded with incendiary ammo works really well: a single hit from a shotgun won't kill a large animal but it will drop its health down low enough that the fire will kill it pretty quickly.

I did it all with a blow torch!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #151 on: 07 April 2018, 19:45:00 »
Every time I try to use the blowtorch as a weapon I end up setting myself on fire.  I swear, the range on that thing makes me feel like I'm hugging it to my chest or something.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #152 on: 08 April 2018, 15:20:09 »
Also, I saw a sign saying "Speed Limit: 70" today. I suspect those wacky Canadians at Ubisoft mixed up their mph and k/h. ;)

That sounds about right in MPH, the highways here in WV are 70. Up until 1999 many highways in Montana didn't have a speed limit at all.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #153 on: 08 April 2018, 15:48:14 »
There are no highways in Hope County. Two lanes of asphalt is not enough to justify a 70 mph limit. :P
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 08 April 2018, 16:08:59 »
There are no highways in Hope County. Two lanes of asphalt is not enough to justify a 70 mph limit. :P

As someone who lives in Kansas, yes it is.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #155 on: 08 April 2018, 17:09:20 »
Gotta say, this is by far my favorite combat track/music score in the game.

You just KNOW it's gonna be a good mission/combat when this music plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7m0NxmAtt0

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #156 on: 08 April 2018, 17:43:46 »
The music is outstanding. Not quite to the level of Undertale, Danny Baranowski's original score for Binding of Isaac, or Bioshock Infinite's version of "Will the Circle be Unbroken" (though Far Cry 5's version of "In The Pines" comes within spitting distance) but far better than most schlocky, overly-orchestrated, "if Halo did it so must we" game soundtracks.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #157 on: 08 April 2018, 18:02:56 »
Actually, I just realized that they didn't cover "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place." Worst soundtrack EVAR. *uninstalls game, throws computer off roof*

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #158 on: 08 April 2018, 18:21:01 »
So last night I was sneaking up on an outpost, looking for a good vantage point, when someone shouted "over there!" My companion said, "well, guess we're going loud." And then this, or something very much like it, started playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFnMstBTAc That was when I knew shit was about to get very, very real.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #159 on: 08 April 2018, 20:46:34 »
And nobody posted a link to the song that plays during part of the Testy Festy mission...

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #160 on: 09 April 2018, 01:21:19 »
So a question because this is the sort of thing that sells a game for me: how is the character customisation?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #161 on: 09 April 2018, 01:26:42 »
And nobody posted a link to the song that plays during part of the Testy Festy mission...

First off, that's an actual thing. Second, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

So a question because this is the sort of thing that sells a game for me: how is the character customisation?

Minimal. Far Cry 5 is first-person, so your choices in "character creation" are pretty much meaningless. I think I've seen my character's legs three times. But good to know that you care about tweaking sliders over gameplay or story.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #162 on: 09 April 2018, 01:30:37 »

Minimal. Far Cry 5 is first-person, so your choices in "character creation" are pretty much meaningless. I think I've seen my character's legs three times. But good to know that you care about tweaking sliders over gameplay or story.

Oh, I like gameplay and story. But tweaking sliders is one of those things I can easily spend hours on. It's just the fact that it's "my" character that makes a game a lot more enjoyable to me.

Thanks for giving an honest answer though.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #163 on: 09 April 2018, 01:34:48 »
First off, that's an actual thing. Second, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

All the SINNER Posters you see posted around the game represent your character.

But i'm guesing Co-Op is where this will shine.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #164 on: 09 April 2018, 01:43:55 »
Pretty much.  Your character doesn't even talk, they're given no actual characterization beyond being the junior deputy of the county sheriff.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #165 on: 09 April 2018, 07:39:16 »

I did the mission twice, once with GhostBear and once on my own. Both times, I couldn't hear the song- HE could, so I know what was playing, but my Xbox refused to give me that pleasure.  :-[
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #166 on: 09 April 2018, 11:03:46 »
Weird.  Can you hear the other music in the game?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #167 on: 10 April 2018, 16:47:48 »
After a week of trying, I finally completed the Clutch Nixon airplane challenge in Holland Valley. Man, that one is tough. But with it done, I am down to just two missions remaining in John Seed's region: the lighter and comic book collections. I have a lot left to do in Faith's region, so that's next, then I think I'll finish the collections and fishing before tackling Jacob's Whitetail Mountains proper.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #168 on: 10 April 2018, 17:33:20 »
After a week of trying, I finally completed the Clutch Nixon airplane challenge in Holland Valley. Man, that one is tough. But with it done, I am down to just two missions remaining in John Seed's region: the lighter and comic book collections. I have a lot left to do in Faith's region, so that's next, then I think I'll finish the collections and fishing before tackling Jacob's Whitetail Mountains proper.

Oddly, that was my First Cluth Airplane mission, took me I think an Hour...as I kept fiddling with the Plane Controls...THE ONLY controls I hate in the entire game  :flame: :flame: :flame:

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #169 on: 10 April 2018, 17:50:09 »
Yeah, I don't like how the airplane handles. I've gotten used to it, but in my first, lost, incomplete playthrough I pretty much skipped the flying bits.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #170 on: 10 April 2018, 17:52:52 »
Aircraft in this game really don't handle like aircraft in any other sandbox game I've play.

The controls are really[/] sluggish and the aircraft themselves are pretty slow.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #171 on: 11 April 2018, 07:39:20 »
The planes definitely are more sluggish than I'd like, but for some reason I took them like a duck to water- I did that Clutch mission on the second try (first try, I sort of didn't realize I needed to shoot out the center of the target rings...)

The driving ones though... I hate ground vehicles. Always. Part of my problem with the Clutch driving jobs is that I never use cars in these games, I prefer walking- all the fun, weird stuff happens while on foot, why drive? So I'm out of practice when I need it most. I have the valley jobs done, but the 'on fire' one was a slog.

Working on Faith's area a little at a time after work this week- the job to take down Joseph's statue ended up being a wild mess. My airplane buddy got shot down, my bear died (that one was my fault, I fired an RPG at a truck and Cheesy ran right up to attack the driver between when the rocket left the tube and impact)... guys kept climbing up the ladders after me, I kept leaving them proximity treats, helicopters kept popping up, I kept cooking grenades at them... great times, very nostalgia-inducing for some of the better tower missions from past Far Cry games.

THAT SAID.

Know what? I've become so powerful that it takes a lot to challenge me at this point. Things have to really get hairy for me to sweat- I'm armed to the teeth, I'm beefed up in health, I'm reloading lightning-fast and all that stuff, and... I mean, I love the game, I'm looking forward to finishing it, but I'm definitely not feeling as challenged and at-risk as I was in 3 and 4. The auto-heal thing is a big factor there, I think- knowing I can just take cover for a couple of minutes and be healthy again without needing a medkit is game-changing, and not in a great way for a survival game. Hoping that either things step up a solid notch in difficulty in the late game areas, or Ubisoft releases some sort of difficulty-patch (like what Fallout 4 and other games have done) so I can really enjoy what this game can throw at me again- liberating outposts now is pretty much  'advance forward with LMG, let bear do what bear does, fear god and dread nought'.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #172 on: 11 April 2018, 08:23:04 »
I wrapped up a whole lot of side stuff last night. I just need Sharky to get one more kill and I'm done with my companion kills, I've got almost all the personal kill and hunting goals, and I just need to find a few more shrines and a couple of grizzly bears to be done with Faith's region...except I found another Clutch Nixon mission...in an airplane. Ugh.

This week's community goal is to play Far Cry Arcade. Um, okay. Guess that "games as service" thing isn't quite working out as well as they hoped, if they're already having to bribe the player base. I'll do the minimum required to get the silver and Vector SMG, then get back to the game proper. I'm honestly baffled as to what I'd ever actually use the silver bars for, as I'm rolling in regular cash, and don't really see the need to buy all the prestige weapons now that I have the regular ones unlocked.

I may skip the fishing, aside from the couple of missions where it's required. The only reward seems to be yet more cash and a better fishing rod...

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #173 on: 11 April 2018, 09:23:40 »
Yeah, not really sure what the idea was with 'silver'. In-game purchases, etc., great, but is there any item out there that can't be bought with regular Hope Co. cash? It's so easy to make money in this game, why buy silver? What good is it, really?

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #174 on: 11 April 2018, 12:33:25 »
Been asking the same question.  As far as I can tell, silver's only actually useful right at the beginning of the game before you actually start earning money, and really if you grab a fishing rod right away you can earn money quickly on Dutch's island.  None of the prestige weapons, vehicles, or clothing requires you to actually spend silver on because making money is easy enough that you should be able to buy them all without dropping a single silver bar.  I've got almost five hundred silver by now and have neither spent any nor paid any real money for it.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #175 on: 11 April 2018, 12:51:40 »
Totally forgot to post my favorite moment from last night.

I'm climbing the hill to get to Joseph's statue, dealing with the occasional bit of resistance (and wolves) along the way, and get the report that my plane's been shot down. OK, so air support/bear is now going to be sniper/bear. Fine. While I'm at it, now's as good of a time as any to start firing on the statue, since I'm in range of the RPG-7 but out of sight range for cult snipers. So, break out the bright-red rocket launcher of justice, look through the scope, and fire... again... third time... watching chunks fall off is wonderful...

...and on the fourth time, I reload, look through the scope, and find a face looking back. Like, right in the scope, just staring disapprovingly. I almost dropped the controller in surprise. It was Faith Seed.

Ever run into one of her hallucinations while wandering her area? She'll be talking to you, walking in the field with you, and when you try to interact with her she vanishes into a puff of green bliss smoke? It was one of those- but it hadn't been there during the reloading animation (I'm sure I'd have noticed that!), and she hadn't said anything that I'd heard in my headset. But as soon as I looked at the statue, there she was, staring down my rocket launcher.

I still launched it. She vanished, the rocket blew up... and I have no regrets, because putting a rocket-propelled grenade into her face was actually quite cathartic.

+Crow T. Robot+

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #176 on: 11 April 2018, 16:50:33 »

...and on the fourth time, I reload, look through the scope, and find a face looking back. Like, right in the scope, just staring disapprovingly. I almost dropped the controller in surprise. It was Faith Seed.

Ever run into one of her hallucinations while wandering her area? She'll be talking to you, walking in the field with you, and when you try to interact with her she vanishes into a puff of green bliss smoke? It was one of those- but it hadn't been there during the reloading animation (I'm sure I'd have noticed that!), and she hadn't said anything that I'd heard in my headset. But as soon as I looked at the statue, there she was, staring down my rocket launcher.

I still launched it. She vanished, the rocket blew up... and I have no regrets, because putting a rocket-propelled grenade into her face was actually quite cathartic.

All

the

time!

By the time I dealt with the Statue Faith was dead, but nothing more annoying then trying to sneak up on places and 'she' appears dancing about. I'd whip out my pistol, pop a shot into her, return to regular method

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #177 on: 11 April 2018, 17:44:11 »
I prefer chucking a shovel at her.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #179 on: 11 April 2018, 18:45:09 »
I'm not the biggest fan of dunkey, but yeah, that was good.