Author Topic: Babylon 5  (Read 13692 times)

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
Re: Babylon 5
« Reply #90 on: 18 June 2018, 03:46:18 »
Limits of 90s TV budgets unfortunately, specially for a show that wasn't Star Trek

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #91 on: 18 June 2018, 03:53:31 »
Limits of 90s TV budgets unfortunately, specially for a show that wasn't Star Trek

Very true and IIRC the CGI for the show consumed a lot of the budget.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #92 on: 18 June 2018, 06:23:04 »
New ships in the Lost Tales....now it makes me want to see it more.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #93 on: 18 June 2018, 06:29:07 »
Lost Tales is okay, the space battle is VERY brief, but you see some Vorchans, a Balvarin and Kutai as well as an Omega class destroyer and a Warlock class destroyer in battle
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #94 on: 18 June 2018, 07:00:14 »
The thing to understand about Lost Tales is that it is what it says on the tin: it's a couple of unused plot ideas from the show. JMS was disappointed with the low budget he was given, so he refused to make more "sub-par" videos.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #95 on: 18 June 2018, 10:39:11 »
I liked Crusade but we know how that ended. Legend of the Rangers was ok but still pretty bad.
Im not going to go out of my way to find Lost Tales.

I liked all the TV movies for Babylon 5 except River of Souls.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #96 on: 18 June 2018, 11:00:19 »
Yeah.

Vorlons: doing what everyone else should have done to begin with.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #97 on: 18 June 2018, 11:15:26 »
So I'm watching through the first season because I never actually got the show when it was on the air and consequently only saw a few episodes and want to see the whole thing.

Just got to the episode about the aliens with the kid who's got a lung clot and their religion won't permit surgery.

Skipping all the Rule 4 stuff, because who wants to go into that can of worms, it makes me wonder about how, exactly, the species has even survived.  I mean, really, a single puncture wound and you've apparently got to commit ritual suicide.  Does not seem like their species is likely to win many knife fights.

Yeah, but it shows a running rule on B5 -- being a cute kid has no "plot armor" on Babylon 5. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #98 on: 18 June 2018, 12:32:57 »
Yeah, but it shows a running rule on B5 -- being a cute kid has no "plot armor" on Babylon 5.

I'm fine with the lack of plot armor.  I just found the episode to be fairly incoherent and badly written.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #99 on: 21 June 2018, 21:42:11 »
Avoid all of them except:

The Shadow Within: Details Anna Sheridan's journey to Z'Ha'Dum and also stars Morden as another member of the expedition. JMS has said this one is 90% canon.

To Dream in the City of Sorrows: 100% canon, per JMS. Shows what happened with Sinclair between leaving Babylon 5 and "War Without End".

The Centauri Trilogy: Bridges the events of S5 and the finale and shows the final fates of several characters in more detail than we saw in the show.

The Psi-Corps Trilogy: The first two aren't that great but they do show the early history of the Corps and Bester. The last novel is post-Telepath War and shows Bester's final fate and gives hints about what happened to several other characters.

The Technomage Trilogy: This one... eh, I didn't like it so much because I find the Technomages tedious, but it ties into Crusade and The Shadow Within and other events from the series and if you actually like the Technomages you'll probably like these too. IIRC, Vir is a major character in this trilogy as well.

All the rest are crap.

Ugh...so the one's which show how Londo finished are in the junk pile, eh?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #100 on: 21 June 2018, 22:23:22 »
Ugh...so the one's which show how Londo finished are in the junk pile, eh?

No, that's the Centauri Trilogy.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #101 on: 22 June 2018, 15:34:22 »
I may dig those up.  Londo's arc --rise, fall, and redemption --is one of the best things ever on TV and, knowingly or not, the progenitor of the better known versions we see today.  The idea of a five-year story arc was revolutionary, and what JMS and Peter did was fantastic. 

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #102 on: 25 June 2018, 20:41:47 »
No, that's the Centauri Trilogy.

then THAT i will need to track down!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Register