Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Last post by gyedid on Today at 20:46:21 »
Holy.

Krap.

Kreider.

Another year of playoff futility for the bunch of jerks.

Cheers,

Gabe
My FLGS said that both the Star League Command Lance and the Urbanmech LAM packs showed up in his system today.
Planet Earth III.  These documentaries just keep getting more impressive.
BattleTech Miniatures / Assembling IWM Mech Scale Corsairs
« Last post by nerd on Today at 20:36:33 »
Many years ago, I got a pair of Corsair ASFs from IWM. I tried assembling them, but they just wouldn't stay on the bases. I tried holding them on until the glue got tacky, using Green Stuff epoxy to hold, even drilling in deeper.

How has anyone gotten them to work out?
I laughed at the passage about the opera about Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita.  Honestly, there should be more references to stuff like that in the canon.
Aerospace Combat / Re: Fleet Recon
« Last post by Hellraiser on Today at 20:24:04 »
Isn't one of the main sources of across the border intel what you get from long time sleeper agent spies?

I feel like this has been mentioned in fluff sources over the years.

I don't mean scouts inserted on world a month ahead of the invasion but actual citizens living on said world that send out C* messages (encoded), or transmit to passing jumpships/dropships (also crewed by spies v/s actual merchants) using home commo systems hidden in the basement, etc etc.

I think it's even been mentioned that sometimes those spies are known but left in place because if they are swept up it stops the info flow for a while but then a new one will take over & have to be found out again which generally is not a fast or guaranteed process & involves luck & the spy making a mistake, etc etc, or just bad spy-craft but I assume the IS has methods of collecting data over the border that doesn't just involve some unseen satellites or drive by picture runs.
« Last post by Paul on Today at 20:21:58 »
If there's going to be anyone who's an expert, it's going to be Comstar.

I'm not sure why a conversation about fleet recon drifted to Comstar.

and as for vested interests, they do take payment from everyone including the people you're intent on spying on.

Yes. So their vested interest to meddle is consequently also close to 0.
Which is why historically, their meddling has been rather tiny.

one of the most fundamental truisms of intelligence, is that any source or route you can't control, is by definition unreliable and open to compromise.

Sure. By ComStar. Not by my competition.

Thus, by definition, your agents-in-place are limited value items with at best unreliable reporting-because there's no hard guarantee that the unsecured method by which their reports are arriving *(and your orders are traveling) hasn't been altered, edited, or "Lost".

That's been true for all of recorded history. As you said:

Thus, why you don't rely on any single method or source

So I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

the sole and only 'reliable' method of communication, is one that your faction completely controls.

That's great, but that's not a universe we live in. Neither for real or in BT.

One-time pads exist, and are unbreakable unless you can get a copy of the pad... ;)

Yes, and while that's not explicitly stated, it is clear that intel agencies can work around Comstar in a variety of ways. And that's one for sure.
Meanwhile, even if any encryption can be cracked, doesn't mean it will, or that it will in time.
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 20:15:27 »
One-time pads exist, and are unbreakable unless you can get a copy of the pad... ;)
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 20:08:42 »
Yes, I said that.

Then we seem to agree that pirate points aren't irrelevant when contemplating fleet recon.

Sure. And sometimes it's because they want a certain aesthetic; something to be true in-universe regardless of reality. Whether they understand that reality or not.

And in BT, surveillance requires proximity.

Only when those guys are, well, around, in-universe.
But even during those days, intel organizations in-universe tended to courier the bits of info they really cared about.
Never mind that most of the time, it simply doesn't matter if C* knows. Even if we presume in-universe knowledge of the handful of times C* abused their knowledge, their list of interventions is incredibly tiny. So who cares if they can figure out this intel report on the goings on of this Marik Militia unit I've been observing? The canon list of C* abusing that kind of knowledge in some way can be counted on 2 hands. I doubt any intel agency has standing orders to avoid C*, the cost of that policy is too great given the penalty it imposes.

99.9% of IT people can't do that at all. That's a conceit of movies, same as having someone who's a "scientist" that is an expert in multiple fields. Just not a thing.
Now, you might get him to bitch about some blatant vulnerabilities that the brass just won't let him fix, which could prove to be some exploit some malware you have can attack, but that's not what you're talking about.

If there's going to be anyone who's an expert, it's going to be Comstar.  and as for vested interests, they do take payment from everyone including the people you're intent on spying on.

one of the most fundamental truisms of intelligence, is that any source or route you can't control, is by definition unreliable and open to compromise.  This would include any service that can read your mail or e-mail, and has a reason to do so.

and comstar DOES have a reason to do so-in part to make sure your messages arrive intact, but that means they get a look at your encryption methods over time, and human beings are creatures of patterns...and anyone 'professional' in a responsible position would have to KNOW that to do their job.

Thus, by definition, your agents-in-place are limited value items with at best unreliable reporting-because there's no hard guarantee that the unsecured method by which their reports are arriving *(and your orders are traveling) hasn't been altered, edited, or "Lost".

the sole and only 'reliable' method of communication, is one that your faction completely controls. 
« Last post by Paul on Today at 20:04:57 »
Yes you can insert a satellite like that and hoover up all sorts of intel but it has the problem of then that information is not useful until it gets back to your mission planers, which are going to be in a different system 99.999999% of the time.

Since the conceit of the setting is Black Boxes and HPGs are not that common(and for the later are not under your nation's control in most cases) that means that you have some decisions to make on how to make that information actually useful.

Yep, you're going to have to come by to pick up the data periodically, unless the vehicle doing the gathering is itself a K-F vessel like a Buy-Eye or something trying to work like one.

Deploy the satellite on a long slow coasting trajectory, maybe a couple others to do line of sight communications around celestial bodies, and have a controller ship sitting say about 30 AU out.

Communications delay will be a few hours by that point but done right no one would even notice it when the intel ship jumped in or out and the satellites could easily go unnoticed for years.

Sure, that's a solid plan. (Also at those distances, you'd need few, if any satellites to avoid LOS issues, which is a plus)

I think the real problem is that in BT, the amount of info you'd be able to get from such a network is puny.
Beyond aesthetic decision, one problem is those LOS comms: your opponent is using that as well. So if yours doesn't leak enough to reveal the spy satellites operating normally, the hostile LOS comms will also go undetected by them.
Another consideration: canon detection ranges are extremely tiny. So even passive observation of routine traffic requires some pretty intense proximity to the main travel routes.

With regards to doing recon in a solar system, there simply is no stated known way to pull it off even if you have the entire SLDF fleet trying to cover 1 solar system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10