Author Topic: Mech of the Week: P1 Perseus  (Read 2034 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Mech of the Week: P1 Perseus
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2024, 22:52:57 »
Love the concept, hate the mini. It's massive work to customise to non-prime configs, and looks ... bleh. Would love a new revision and a plastic mini, I'd field lots then.

I'm not even a Marik player and I'd be happy to pick up a new version of the mini if one were released.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2024, 02:29:04 »
Alas, distribution is only FWL, Scorpion Empire (which I'm unlikely to touch), and in season, Word of Blake/Republic of the Sphere.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2024, 10:21:11 »
A nice and balanced review of the Perseus. It's a solid design that suffers from some poor config choices (much like the Gargoyle or the Loki). I think the configs are am interesting reflection on the fractured nature of the League itself.

The large amount of pod space, combined with the fixed crit layout and cramped interior, make a flashbulb config nearly impossible.  Well, a good one, anyway.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2024, 03:14:15 »
The D variant feels like a slight remix of the Prime, with an LB 10-X AC in the right arm,
You know, I think these swaps on Omni's should be more common, switch between AC types, and also Silver Bullet Gauss and regular Gauss.
That's it for the variants that showed up in TRO 3067, but Record Sheets 3067 Unabridged added three new variants during the Jihad to show off new tech from that time.

And oh yeah, it's also got a pair of Vehicular Grenade Launchers taking up space there.
The Wyvern WVN-5UX Wyvern City has one. Interestingly the only actual vehicles to carry them are support vehicles, so no tanks.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2024, 05:54:14 »
The new Orion art is interesting. Rather than a combination of blocks with arms and legs, it reminds me of a robotic toad, complete with vocal sac (at first glance I thought the area below the cockpit looked more like a rounded shape, though with every subsequent glance that feels less like the case). At any rate I like it a lot better than all of the old Orion art.

Would love to see the Perseus get something similar.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2024, 08:12:09 »
It seems to me the Scorpions can make an Orion IIC omnimech of sorts.  I don't think the Clans have a 4/6 75-ton omni, do they?  It could be a Night Gyr with no fixed jump jets  azn
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2024, 08:18:56 »
The new Orion art is interesting. Rather than a combination of blocks with arms and legs, it reminds me of a robotic toad, complete with vocal sac (at first glance I thought the area below the cockpit looked more like a rounded shape, though with every subsequent glance that feels less like the case). At any rate I like it a lot better than all of the old Orion art.

Would love to see the Perseus get something similar.
Giving it a Streak LRM Launcher was weird, but I guess is logical as a replacement for an Artemis LRM 15 on a mech that is not exactly an LRM boat. I never saw the armor replacement coming. I think the C is due a further upgrade building upon its work. For the Perseus, indirect fire for the missile variant will be necessary, while the armor type is locked without making a Perseus II. Fixing its prior variants is a surprisingly easy task.
Note: By fix I do not mean optimize. Optimized mechs are boring.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2024, 08:27:57 by Minemech »

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 16 March 2024, 15:24:50 »
It seems to me the Scorpions can make an Orion IIC omnimech of sorts.  I don't think the Clans have a 4/6 75-ton omni, do they?  It could be a Night Gyr with no fixed jump jets  azn

The Woodsman is in production as of 3149 and moves 4/6 with MASC. There's also the Spirit Walker, an Omni based on the Black Knight that moves 4/6. But I do agree that a Clan Omni version of the Orion would make sense.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 17 March 2024, 13:59:50 »
Or even just an R variant, that keeps the IS base chassis but uses Clan pods.  We have those for most other Omnis, especially the DCMS ones where they always had plenty of Clan salvage.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 22 March 2024, 10:02:24 »
Turning Points: Foster also gave us the Spirit Walker omni at 75 tons and moving 4/6. Only two configs for that one right now.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #40 on: 22 March 2024, 10:54:54 »
Turning Points: Foster also gave us the Spirit Walker omni at 75 tons and moving 4/6. Only two configs for that one right now.
That's said, it's Black Knight OmniMech, it be cool to have a Orion IIC OmniMech rival prior to next generation of OnimMechs coming along.

That said it be interesting if Clan Wolf tries to add a Clan tech configuration for the Perseus.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #41 on: 22 March 2024, 15:58:40 »
if it was an omnimech though, it wouldn't be named the "orion IIC" in any fashion. it would be relabelled with an animal name of some sort.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 22 March 2024, 18:13:26 »
if it was an omnimech though, it wouldn't be named the "orion IIC" in any fashion. it would be relabelled with an animal name of some sort.
Orion might stay if it were remade with a Clan chassis because it is iconically associated with Alexandr Kerensky. The very Orion IIC was an item of envy that Clan Wolf paraded around the other Clans.

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2024, 14:34:51 »
MoneyLovinOgre4Hire thanks i am so happy someone did these machines again

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 11 April 2024, 14:53:19 »
MoneyLovinOgre4Hire thanks i am so happy someone did these machines again

You are welcome.  It was fun to get back into doing a little creative writing project.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #45 on: 26 April 2024, 10:57:49 »
Every flaw that the Perseus has is laid out right in its FM/TRO entry (notably, the crowded internals and all the resulting effects of that).

The B variant is my personal favorite, and I totally get the criticisms of it.  The ammo issue is a function of the original AMS ammo consumption rules, so if CGL wants to retcon that second ton of AMS ammo into Gauss ammo I'm not going to play dentist with that particular horse.  That being said, we're all so used to looking at the big 15-point slaps of that weapon and thinking of it as the primary weapon of the unit it's mounted on.

That paradigm doesn't apply to the Perseus.  That Gauss is a weapon of opportunity that you can slip into your firing order in turns where you have good to-hit numbers.  The trio of large lasers are the actual primary hole-punchers for the B.  The ISLPL likewise is not a popular weapon around here in my experience, but it's extremely common in Invasion-era Marik units.  The ERLL is a token long-range engagement weapon while closing, but the twin pulses are the weapons you need to be considering when looking at movement & range bands.  It's a brawler.  Once you're in good ranges for the LPL, you should have decent numbers for the Gauss so you can start tossing slugs out without worrying about wasting ammunition.  It's also the only config without guns in the legs, so yes!  Grab the enemy by the belt buckle, give them some pulse lasers, and then sweep the leg.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 26 April 2024, 15:09:55 »
The problem is that an Inner Sphere Gauss Rifle is 15 tons before ammo.  That's an awful lot to devote to a secondary weapon.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 26 April 2024, 16:26:29 »
Maybe Wolves will make a R configuration with Clan tech weapons
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #48 on: 26 April 2024, 18:02:33 »
The problem is that an Inner Sphere Gauss Rifle is 15 tons before ammo.  That's an awful lot to devote to a secondary weapon.

Oh, I know.  It's not ideal by any stretch.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 26 April 2024, 20:08:33 »
Oh, I know.  It's not ideal by any stretch.
I could see a B2 now that Clan weapons are mainstream.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 26 April 2024, 21:51:30 »
I could see a B2 now that Clan weapons are mainstream.
yeah, but you'd also potentially have access to clan ERLL and CLPL, which are an even better boost.

i'd argue that a proper B2 would switch to a Silver Bullet gauss. which given the cluster damage effect, would work even better as a secondary weapon backing up a brace of hard hitting lasers. even if you don't have clan weapons used.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 26 April 2024, 22:09:25 »
I believe that large pulse lasers are one of the few Clan weapon systems that we have yet to see an IS power produce natively, but that would make for some fantastic upgrade potential.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 26 April 2024, 23:59:59 »
I believe that large pulse lasers are one of the few Clan weapon systems that we have yet to see an IS power produce natively, but that would make for some fantastic upgrade potential.
so switch over to using a trio of CERLL's. the damage and heat work out about the same as using the pulse lasers, and you save a few tons plus get better range.