Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 156876 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #600 on: 19 January 2020, 12:54:48 »
That's definitely worth passing to Paul, but I suspect the "new trumps old" paradigm will squash it.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #601 on: 19 January 2020, 12:58:50 »
Unless they make a Republic variant that uses new tech based on the old... like re-engineered lasers and LFF armor...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #602 on: 19 January 2020, 13:10:39 »
Always a chance it will pop up in a Turning Point book (when we start seeing those again) with the exception of tptp deciding to publish more SW level stuff for the beginners box, I see most of the effort going towards post-Clan stuff.

Both TRO: GC and Il Clan have been in editorial limbo for some time know and the KS will gain allot of 3050+ attention. I'll be surprised if priorities go back to SW era.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #603 on: 19 January 2020, 14:41:56 »
Well I was thinking it was no LL variation based on the sentence about "Armed with 2 ML"

That said it could be read to be "Additional 2 ML"

So I guess it could be an SLDF version of the 350D that still has ERLL, DHS, & FFA on it.  (2.5 tons is "almost" double the 1.5 tons, lol)

It could also be a 2nd version of the Royal using an XL but swapping out armor for 2 more MLs since it was only "Double the Armor"

Personally I've always liked the idea of just 2 ML like the sentence says.  Double Armor & Add ECM,  or,  Triple it & call it a typo that was meaning "Add Double to the Single for Triple".

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #604 on: 19 January 2020, 18:34:39 »
There are a number of variants that exist in the weird limbo of existing but not having a sheet. We got some of those unexpectedly in TP Tokasha so anything’s possible

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #605 on: 19 January 2020, 18:38:55 »
Isn't that the raison d'etre of this thread?  ???

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #606 on: 20 January 2020, 11:27:07 »
The Hussar variant could appear in TRO:GC as a Second Line Clan Mech since they still use SLDF Mechs.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #607 on: 20 January 2020, 12:14:58 »
The Hussar variant could appear in TRO:GC as a Second Line Clan Mech since they still use SLDF Mechs.

It could, but there are dozens of original Clan designs that could be added rather than a SL era refit.

The Hussar in questions mounts an additional 1.5 Tons of armour and two medium lasers, with 1.5 tons unaccounted for, assuming the ERLL is dropped.

There are already more than enough named new Clan units to fill in the blanks, so unless GC is expanded, some of those ill need to be left out as it is. So I doubt a Hussar will be added to TRO GC if it ever appears
« Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 13:32:14 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #608 on: 20 January 2020, 12:17:54 »
if it does appear, it will probably be in unheralded in some RS book and only a few people will catch the inclusion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #609 on: 20 January 2020, 12:45:32 »
I'm sure whoever does catch it will post it here...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #610 on: 20 January 2020, 12:46:42 »
and then we will celebrate the ascension of another never-seen off the list

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #611 on: 20 January 2020, 12:52:42 »
Indeed!  :thumbsup:

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #612 on: 20 January 2020, 15:14:47 »
It could, but there are dozens of original Clan designs that could be added rather than a SL era refit.

The Hussar in questions mounts an additional 1.5 Tons of armour and two medium lasers, with 1.5 tons unaccounted for, assuming the ERLL is dropped.

There are already more than enough named new Clan units to fill in the blanks, so unless GC is expanded, some of those ill need to be left out as it is. So I doubt a Hussar will be added to TRO GC if it ever appears

True it probably won't but there's always a chance. There could also be a volume 2? Between SLDF, SLDFinExile, Pentagon Powers, and the Clans there should be enough units for a series of TROs. I won't hold my breath but there could be. But like Sartris said, it'd probably just be a RS someplace.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #613 on: 20 January 2020, 18:16:33 »
There are a number of variants that exist in the weird limbo of existing but not having a sheet. We got some of those unexpectedly in TP Tokasha so anything’s possible

Isn't that the raison d'etre of this thread?  ???

Indeed it is! And as we have the basic attribution for the Hussar; I will add it to the list, as I said I would!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #614 on: 20 January 2020, 20:24:41 »
That's not an alter ego.

That's rare footage of Nat on vacation to Canopus.

Must have been a funtime 8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #615 on: 21 January 2020, 13:07:30 »
Was the Pikeman ever included?  It was the design the Patriot was based off of when Cameron-Jones tapped a Regulan factory to make a new 'command' mech which turned out to be the PKM-2C.  The -2D was supposed to more closely resemble the original design but by phrasing IMO clearly is not the original design.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #616 on: 21 January 2020, 14:19:49 »
Going by the fluff text, they simply changed the name to Patriot during development. The original Pikeman seem to have never left the drawing board.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #617 on: 21 January 2020, 14:45:08 »
The -2C was altered, the -2D production was designed more closely to the original concept . . . my best guess is the alteration had to do with the electronics and the cannon that became the A4 launcher.  So something is off but its perhaps a minor change.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #618 on: 25 January 2020, 14:26:38 »
Dust Rat- Wolf's Dragoons six-wheeled recon vehicle from pgs 346-347 of Wolf Pack

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #619 on: 31 January 2020, 11:03:54 »
Has the solar shade for Venus ever been given art?  How about the shipyards at Titan?  Or the mobile 'atolls' on Dagda?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #620 on: 01 February 2020, 01:05:38 »
Was the machine gun UrbanMech mentioned?

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #621 on: 01 February 2020, 16:14:26 »
The -2C was altered, the -2D production was designed more closely to the original concept . . . my best guess is the alteration had to do with the electronics and the cannon that became the A4 launcher.  So something is off but its perhaps a minor change.

So; did they ever build any? Even as a prototype?

Dust Rat- Wolf's Dragoons six-wheeled recon vehicle from pgs 346-347 of Wolf Pack

Textbook. Yes. Will add!

Has the solar shade for Venus ever been given art?  How about the shipyards at Titan?  Or the mobile 'atolls' on Dagda?

None of those.

I think something might have been said of the sunshield at some point in time; like maybe it was a one-off unique-tech item that could never be replicated and broke the rules...but...xtros...so; yes will add.

The shipyards though; i think like the Galax yard; those are specifically noted as complexes composed of multiple smaller generic stations. Could be wrong though. I'll hold off on that one.

I like those Atolls though; kinda floating versions of the airship cities mentioned in the flavour text of one of the rule books. Come to think of it...did we ever see stats for those? The floating Islands?

Was the machine gun UrbanMech mentioned?

That's the one mentioned in the fluff of 3025 and 3050, right? I recall in 3050; the MG is removed for the SPL and I think 3025 just mentions it being there, but never stats it?

That's perfect and a really easy mod too.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #622 on: 01 February 2020, 16:41:58 »
Where is the MG Urbie mentioned?   Never heard of it.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #623 on: 02 February 2020, 07:31:39 »
That's the one mentioned in the fluff of 3025 and 3050, right? I recall in 3050; the MG is removed for the SPL and I think 3025 just mentions it being there, but never stats it?

That's perfect and a really easy mod too.

Where is the MG Urbie mentioned?   Never heard of it.

It's in TRO:3050R. Possibly some editions of TRO:3050? The fluff says its a Capellan variant and a center torso MG is replaced with a SPL. It seems to be a step between the R60 and the R63.

TRO:3025 had a AC/20 UrbanMech and the Armless UrbanMech. There's RS for the AC/20 variant. I'm not sure about the Armless. I've never seen a RS for it. I'm not even sure it's legal.

Were the Hermes and Hermes II prototype mentioned?
The Hermes II prototype has an AC/5 in the center torso? Also the fluff for the Hermes and Hermes II has them both using a Vehicle Flamer. All the RS I've seen have them using Mech Flamers.  I don't know about the fluff's putting heat sinks in the legs.  :-\ Currant rules have them all in the engine.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #624 on: 02 February 2020, 09:14:10 »
I remember the Hermes II fluff mentioning the heat sink wings on the legs swung around to avoid being snapped off in case of falls, and that the autocannon was split locations for the CT mount.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #625 on: 02 February 2020, 18:08:37 »
I don't think either of those was a prototype or different version issue.

I think it was just fluff not matching rules which we see in more than one occasion from 3025.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #626 on: 03 February 2020, 07:49:25 »
I don't think either of those was a prototype or different version issue.

I think it was just fluff not matching rules which we see in more than one occasion from 3025.

TRO:3025 says early versions have the autocannon in the center torso with wiring and controls spread out in the side torsos so any hit to the torso would knock out the AC. TROs: 3039 and Succession Wars have it being a prototype AC being spread across the torso. Either way the AC would be spread through each torso location.

Both the later TROs also have the wings being intended to be heat sinks but no longer as the one heat sink was moved. So I guess that covers the wings and the change in the rules. Too bad though. Being able to put the heat sinks in the legs, instead of the engine, would give those mechs an advantage in water.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #627 on: 04 February 2020, 20:45:39 »
Where is the 1 out of engine heatsink located?

Is it not in the leg?

I know its not both but that's been an issue since what 2nd Edition when they moved them into the engine?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #628 on: 04 February 2020, 22:30:04 »
They're in the engine. The only HS that aren't are those that are left after dividing the engine rating by 25.  The Hermes has a 270 rated engine so all 10 heat sinks fit in the engine. The Hermes II has a 280 rated engine so all 11 heat sinks fit in the engine. The Scorpion, also fluffed to have special heat sinks in the legs, has a 330 rated engine so all 10 fit in side it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #629 on: 05 February 2020, 21:42:28 »
The Hermes-II with the AC has a 240 rated engine & has a HS outside of it.

The 280 rated engine is on the Dark Shadows "Mercury" variant, which doesn't have an AC on it so isn't what we were talking about.

Register