Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48370 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #120 on: 10 November 2019, 03:15:56 »
Well Robby Fabri's debut at least went well.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #121 on: 10 November 2019, 03:58:23 »
Yeah, I didn't want to jinx it.  But I was happy with the result.  Now to get that Perlini kid off to a good start as well.  Yzerman has made some moves, let's see where it leads...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #122 on: 10 November 2019, 17:28:39 »
Fabri looks to be a good solid pick up and has more upside over De La Rosa.  Perlini is looking more and more like he might end up being a project.  Both were a squeeze on their prior teams because there was plenty of depth above them.  With the Red Wings now entrenched in full rebuild mode they should throw him to the wolves to see what they have.

There isn't a whole lot that can be done otherwise.  To many NTC players that shouldn't have had them in the first place taking up roster spots.  If Green is healthy at the trade deadline he should be traded for a pick or a young buried player on some other team's roster.  Trading Howard, should he have any remaining value, should also be done for assets too.  I haven't seen a Red Wings game yet this season though it seems the best you can hope for is a good effort and hope they continue to tank enough to get the best shot at the lottery balls.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #123 on: 11 November 2019, 02:19:21 »
The proliferation of NTC was thanks to Holland.  Theres not a lot of market demand for the over-inflated contracts, either.  Yzerman will be doing things differently.  Or, I can only hope he will. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #124 on: 11 November 2019, 18:17:41 »
The end of another era in Canadian hockey broadcasting has come, and not in a very pleasant way:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-fired-coaches-corner-1.5355764

Personally, I think it's about high time.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #125 on: 11 November 2019, 22:08:05 »
Personally, I think it's about high time.

Agreed.

Don and dinosaurs like him have been holding this league back for far too long.
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #126 on: 12 November 2019, 09:20:06 »
It was his time to go.  The game has too much speed and finesse for his tastes.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2019, 09:24:50 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #127 on: 12 November 2019, 11:01:28 »
He should have been gone years ago.  I am surprised it took the network this long to act, but I have seen it elsewhere implied that he got axed and McLean didn't because McLean apologized. 

If that is true it reflects poorly on the network as it seems implies they would likely not have taken action had Cherry retracted his statement and apologized.  That said I do not think I will be making any further comments about this subject.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: 12 November 2019, 23:13:01 »
It was his time to go.  The game has too much speed and finesse for his tastes.
Agreed.

Don and dinosaurs like him have been holding this league back for far too long.

I'm no moderator, but the attempt to keep the discussion within forum rules is appreciated.

That said, the fact remains that the comments that got Cherry canned concerned issues that are far outside (and bigger than) the game itself, so any further discussion should go to PMs.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #129 on: 13 November 2019, 03:52:12 »
Marginalization of anyone hurts us all whether or not aggressors realize it.  No one has the right to that kind of behavior.   I have nothing more to say accept this general statement.

On a brighter note, the Red Wings have suddenly won three in a row through solid team efforts.  I don't want to jinx them by talking about it but I can't help it, we were playing such bad hockey for quite a stretch.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #130 on: 13 November 2019, 08:10:01 »
If you start the 3rd period with a 4-goal lead over a team that hasn't been all that good all season, you can be forgiven for maybe letting your guard down and giving up a bad opportunity or two- maybe even a goal. It happens. I've done it, after all.

If you let that team dominate you,score FOUR, and then win in a shootout, it's time to take a  very good look in the mirror and ask what cosmic-level incompetence sneaked into your locker room all of a sudden, because Cup-caliber teams like Boston shouldn't be letting FLORIDA do that.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #131 on: 13 November 2019, 10:45:21 »
Didn't they nearly blow another one almost the exact same way the other week?
I have spoken.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #132 on: 14 November 2019, 08:37:36 »
Didn't they nearly blow another one almost the exact same way the other week?

Yup not a good run after a great start multiple injuries but no excuse
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #133 on: 14 November 2019, 17:39:13 »
In Boston's defense, that isn't the first time the Panthers have played like crap for 40 minutes and then turned it on to get to OT.  It happened to the Avs a few weeks ago.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #134 on: 17 November 2019, 02:48:54 »
Caught the Caps v. Bruins game on the radio and watched the highlights and I have to say, if we can get a conference final with these two at the end of the year I'm all for it.  I also caught the highlights of the Avs v. Canucks and despite the fact that the Av's star players are currently injured, the rest of the team is still damn exciting to watch.  The Canucks looked damn good with the speed and skill they have too.  Tonight they wore their throwbacks and I have to say I miss those jerseys.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 20 November 2019, 20:01:25 »
This is and is not kind of a shocker.  Did the Leafs' brass pull the trigger too soon?

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs-fire-head-coach-babcock-1.1401009

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #136 on: 20 November 2019, 22:38:30 »
This is and is not kind of a shocker.  Did the Leafs' brass pull the trigger too soon?
The only way to say for certain to answer this is still at least a few months down the road when the current season ends and Sheldon Keefe's season comes to an eventual close.  If the Maple Leafs make it out of the first round and beyond, then you have to say that it was a right step to take.  Most any other team in the league would have accepted the success that the Leafs and Babcock had the last few years, but this is Toronto and further success expected.  I'd have to go back and watch the presser from when he was hired, but I believe the window they expected to be competitive year in and out was 5-6 years.  Babcock managed to making them competitive in 2-3 years.

Babcock's replacement, Sheldon Keefe, is a Dubas hire (which Babcock wasn't) so the clock for Dubas tenure is now ticking.  Keefe has a fairly respectable minor league coaching career with both the Marlies and the junior team that Dubas and he worked for at the same time.  Ultimately I think Keefe will do a good job, but whether he does it well enough to keep Dubas employed is another matter.

The Maple Leafs have to effectively win now, because they are going to be in somewhat of a cap hell the next starting next year when the have to replace 5 UFA players on defense.  Right now that same defense stinks and they don't have a good back up goaltender.  Unless the offense starts scoring 5 goals a game every night, they are going to find it difficult to gain any traction in the division.  Florida and Bob seem to give up a lot of goals, but they sure as hell seem capable of scoring 5 goals again with players less talent.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #137 on: 21 November 2019, 13:26:22 »
That's an expensive firing.  Babs was owed a lot of money per year to coach.  It seems like they listen to the fans too much in Toronto.  Their team will never get it right doing that.

But on another hand, this serves as notice for lots of other coaches, namely Jeff Blashill of my Wings.  I know he sweats it that we keep losing.  He seems to be safe though, under the auspices of a team in full rebuild mode.  The team is not making it very attractive to other  coaches with the way they've been playing, anyway. 

That said, I don't imagine Babs will be on the market for very long.  This firing may cause a chain reaction of fires and hires at the coaches position.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #138 on: 21 November 2019, 23:52:24 »
Bruins got lucky tonight Rask was amazing even letting in two and the forwards took the chances that counted

I think Marshand could have another 100pt season and Pasta is taking those chances in his stride
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 22 November 2019, 08:39:45 »

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs-fire-head-coach-babcock-1.1401009

cheers,

Gabe
They won with the new coach last night. It could be a step in the right direction. Babcock is/was not an offensive minded coach. There's too much offensive talent on the Leafs that they shouldn't be held back by a offensive dunderhead. It appears the new guy will open it up a bit.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #140 on: 22 November 2019, 10:59:26 »
That's an expensive firing.  Babs was owed a lot of money per year to coach.  It seems like they listen to the fans too much in Toronto.  Their team will never get it right doing that.
According to an article I read on the Canadian Yahoo portal, there was thought of releving him his duties over the summer.  While it is expensive to pay a 6 million to not coach the team annually, it was probably foolish to give Babcock that contract in first place.  Dubas wasn't GM though so you can't link that contract directly to him.

Bab's is the 'best' coach money can buy and he wasn't getting results.  Toronto isn't going to be able to make a trade that is suddenly going to reverse course in season until at least the trade deadline.  Thus the coach is the most flexible piece to jettison since he doesn't count against the cap.  Toronto isn't cashed strapped and it won't effect their cash flow next season against the cap.  The division standings also dictated the change.  While everyone in that division is within a couple points of each other, except the Bruins, it still gives Keefe plenty of chance to make a run on nearly equal footing.  Keefe is Dubas' guy and he's said as much.

But on another hand, this serves as notice for lots of other coaches, namely Jeff Blashill of my Wings.  I know he sweats it that we keep losing.  He seems to be safe though, under the auspices of a team in full rebuild mode.  The team is not making it very attractive to other  coaches with the way they've been playing, anyway. 
Firing Blashill would be dumb.  The Red Wings aren't going to sniff the playoffs this year or next.  Let him play out his contract and worry about the net guy up then.

That said, I don't imagine Babs will be on the market for very long.  This firing may cause a chain reaction of fires and hires at the coaches position.
I don't honestly think there will be a chain reaction.  I think there are two clubs right now that could possibly get canned before the end of the season and an outside chance of a third that might consider Babcock.  In order from top down:  Nashville, San Jose, Calgary.  The first two because their cup window is closing and Calgary as a bit of a knee jerk reaction to how poorly they have been playing in the last month.  Nashville though is leaps and bounds above the other two.

They won with the new coach last night. It could be a step in the right direction. Babcock is/was not an offensive minded coach. There's too much offensive talent on the Leafs that they shouldn't be held back by a offensive dunderhead. It appears the new guy will open it up a bit.

I expected them to win last night.  Phoenix is a decent team this year, but Toronto should stomp them.  They won, but not overwhelming fashion.  Babcock never used his players to their best strengths.  His defense has always been awful.  While he still would have likely never made it out of the second round with what he had, focusing on the offense first probably would have extended his tenure.  This version of the Leafs could easily be the equal of Caps 'Young Guns' from the last decade.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #141 on: 03 December 2019, 00:38:37 »
Anyone got any good hockey vibes to share?  The news cycle is filled with coaches that appear to be awful human beings and little else.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: 03 December 2019, 13:27:14 »
Anyone got any good hockey vibes to share?  The news cycle is filled with coaches that appear to be awful human beings and little else.

How about one where the coach is seemingly a very kindly, level-headed guy who can't seem to get his team to win anymore?

Oh wait...you said GOOD vibes...

Cheers, Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #143 on: 03 December 2019, 14:07:20 »
...Well, Jaroslav Halak hits 500 career games tonight, that's a positive, right?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 03 December 2019, 15:38:10 »
...Well, Jaroslav Halak hits 500 career games tonight, that's a positive, right?

Very cool hopefully he and the team are on A game for it

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #145 on: 05 December 2019, 02:31:02 »
I have this love hate relationship with Halak.  I love it when he gets my fantasy a W.  At all other times I still curse his existence.  No sir, I don't hold a grudge at all  ::)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #146 on: 10 December 2019, 12:52:07 »
The Stars seem to have fired their coach for being a creep or something.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #147 on: 10 December 2019, 14:06:49 »
Another one bites the dust...

I wonder if Babcock will consider Dallas as a landing spot.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #148 on: 10 December 2019, 14:35:50 »
Another one bites the dust...

I wonder if Babcock will consider Dallas as a landing spot.

I would be generally surprised if Babcock is hired by anyone at the moment considering the press he has received recently as an awful human being via Chris Chelios and others who played for him in Detroit.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #149 on: 10 December 2019, 14:45:59 »
I would be generally surprised if Babcock is hired by anyone at the moment considering the press he has received recently as an awful human being via Chris Chelios and others who played for him in Detroit.

He let Chelly play until SS payments started kicking in.  And that's how he's repaid?

Register