Author Topic: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release (Now 0.7.5!)  (Read 20308 times)

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release (Now 0.7.5!)
« on: 07 October 2019, 11:05:46 »

2020-12-02: New Version! See Most recent update here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/computerconsole-games/solaris-skunk-werks-0-7-0-stable-release/msg1674552/#msg1674552

It is our pleasure to release Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0!  This marks a new release as a community driven and developed version of Solaris Skunk Werks.  We have put great effort into updating existing functionality to the current era of BattleTech, below the link we have a brief listing of the updates to SSW.  Future releases will be focusing on usability, new equipment, and new features.

You can download the newest version, and join our development discord through our Github page here.  We welcome all who want to help make SSW even better: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks#solaris-skunk-werks

Main Features and fixes:
  • Updated for Java 8
  • Dark Age Availability
  • Fixed various BV calculation issues (All BV calculations should be correct!)
  • More detailed BV breakdown
  • Corrected C-Bill Price Calculations
  • Shows Ammo cost of current loadout
  • Improved printing of Shields
  • Saving and Loading of Super Heavy Vehicles
  • Now using the modern logo
  • Fix security vulnerabilities when loading files

Other Bug Fixes
  • Would silently fail on opening
  • Would forget about fixed Case II with Omnimechs
  • Patchwork Armor would have display issues
  • Booby trap was not printing correctly
  • Primitive/Retrotech Battlemechs can now equip all armors
  • Can now save and load OmniMechs without configurations
  • iATM ammo names were corrected
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 11:33:18 by Insaniac99 »

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2019, 14:22:30 »
 :thumbsup:
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2019, 14:28:20 »
I can comfortably say from using some of the pre-release builds and talking with the new devs that this is a great release with even better releases in the future. It's also no longer a "one man show" as it was before. So look forward to continued improvements!
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2019, 17:22:26 »
Awesome  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2019, 17:26:16 »
Fantastic!  Does Fractional Accounting work correctly now?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2019, 17:31:53 »
Nope, darn...  :-\

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2019, 17:44:52 »
Nope, darn...  :-\

Please submit a detailed issue report on the Github and we will add it to the pile https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/issues

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2019, 17:46:48 »
Is it possible to do that without creating yet another internet account?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2019, 17:49:01 »
Oooooo I'll be checking this out later!
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2019, 18:00:54 »
If it's not possible, here's the issue in detail:

Fractional Accounting (in SAW) should make Vehicle Controls and Turrets fractional tonnages as well.  The specific rules are on page 376 of TacOps.  For full functionality, it should also be possible to sub-divide ammo bins as well.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2019, 18:54:51 »
 :) :D ;D :o

I am SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS!!! WAITAGO GUYS!

Fractional Accounting (in SAW) should make Vehicle Controls and Turrets fractional tonnages as well.  The specific rules are on page 376 of TacOps.  For full functionality, it should also be possible to sub-divide ammo bins as well.

Probably my favourite rule in the game.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2019, 20:40:55 »

So Is this only in SAW?  or does SSW not do it correctly too?

What parts are not working?

The more specific you can be, the better we can locate and fix things.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2019, 03:33:58 »
With the exception of ammo, it appears to only be in SAW (SSW does IS and engines just fine).  I acknowledge ammo may be too complicated to implement.

In SAW, the control and turret tonnages continue to be rounded to the nearest half ton when Fractional Accounting is selected.  This is incorrect.  Only things like gyros (that use the "or fraction thereof" language) are supposed to be rounded under Fractional Accounting.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2019, 05:43:45 »
So happy this was updated!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2019, 13:03:22 »
I acknowledge ammo may be too complicated to implement.

Give em time; it worked in SSW, they'll get there.

Custom Weapons would be hard to implement.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2019, 15:33:21 »
Custom Weapons would be hard to implement.

Custom weapons are surprisingly simple in SSW, you just have to fill out a spreadsheet and jump through a couple hoops. 

The bigger problem is getting people to accurately and reliably transcribing from books to that spreadsheet.

The biggest problem is that system for custom equipment currently only allows one rules level for those.  We're discussing how to fix that so that we can adjust rule level based on the era.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2019, 20:49:24 »
Custom weapons are surprisingly simple in SSW, you just have to fill out a spreadsheet and jump through a couple hoops. 

The bigger problem is getting people to accurately and reliably transcribing from books to that spreadsheet.

The biggest problem is that system for custom equipment currently only allows one rules level for those.  We're discussing how to fix that so that we can adjust rule level based on the era.

You talking about the custom weapons guide from before?

Maybe my skills have improved since then, but at the time I found it very difficult.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 08 October 2019, 23:56:01 »
You talking about the custom weapons guide from before?

Maybe my skills have improved since then, but at the time I found it very difficult.

Sadly yes.  But it is easier than MM's required coding (not to knock MM, I love and use it regularly).  We do want to switch over to something easier, but that will come in time.

Also, we found a couple of minor bugs that slipped through and have released a hotfix bumping the version to 0.7.1, it is available at the same location as the other release.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2019, 07:51:35 »
Sadly yes.  But it is easier than MM's required coding (not to knock MM, I love and use it regularly).  We do want to switch over to something easier, but that will come in time.

Also, we found a couple of minor bugs that slipped through and have released a hotfix bumping the version to 0.7.1, it is available at the same location as the other release.

I'll take another crack at it when I can then. Maybe I was just confused and my skills weren't up to it.

A.E. Housman

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2019, 09:21:35 »
0.7.1 Hotfix Release

The SSW team has released 0.7.1 as a hotfix to some bugs:

Main Features and fixes:

• There was bug in BV calculation that affected mechs with a low movement modifier and Void Signature System.
  • There was a missing null check in the widescreen version that caused problems when loading mechs with turrets and industrial structure.

You can download the newest version, and join our development discord through our Github page here. We welcome all who want to help make SSW even better: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks#solaris-skunk-werks
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 09 October 2019, 20:00:08 »
Can we help from here vice creating more accounts on other systems?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2019, 10:56:22 »
get someone with an account to post your bug?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2019, 11:00:12 »
Can we help from here vice creating more accounts on other systems?

We won't turn down any help that we can use, but we also don't have the personage to regularly monitor the various places we announce.  Additionally, we use git to track every issue individually and keep a focused conversation thread about them, which just isn't possible on most forums.

For example, here is a ticket for C-bill costs not being displayed correctly. It took about 3 days to resolve.  At the same time, we were working with 2-3 other issues but they are in their own thread.  For example, this one about missing equipment came in, which also highlights how we can reference other issues and handle duplicate reports

Now there are a lot of other reasons that we use gitHub to track & manage everything, and Discord to communicate in real time, but stuff like that is the primary reasons.  It keeps us organized and allows us to let some issues sit while we wait for information without them getting lost or buried.

So is it impossible to help without joining one of those two places? Absolutely not.  But it is significantly harder to be a useful contributor.  Excluding programmers who can actually change code, we constantly have a use for people who:
  • Can check for new and verify existing bugs
  • Give detailed corrections (For example, Just saying Battle-value is off is no where near as helpful as showing the exact point of deviation between us and another calculation)  This works for other bugs too, often someoen will report a bug, which I can't replicate, but someone else can get enough information to track it down that we can then fix it easily
  • Able to reference various books for information to enter (for example the weapons in the program are from a spreadsheet that has 105 columns, and having people able answer those is incredibly helpful)

There's others, but that's the big three off the top of my head, and you'll notice most of them involve having to at least know what we are tracking on github.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2019, 16:21:27 »
Rog, thanks for the detailed reply!  Did I provide enough detail about the Fractional Accounting issue, or do you need more?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2019, 03:13:02 »
When I'm slightly more awake I'll look at the references and post the bug report to the tracker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 12 October 2019, 06:24:08 »
I just noticed on the credits screen, your (Insaniac99's) name is missing the second "a".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 12 October 2019, 07:02:05 »
I also just noticed SAW doesn't fractionalize Lift Equipment either.  So the list of things that need that fix is now: Controls, Turrets, and Lift Equipment.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2019, 10:41:44 »
Could I get a link to what version of Java I need to run the current version?  I tried going to Oracle's site but I'm really not computer literate enough to figure it out.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2019, 12:52:21 »
did you go to java.com/en? 

also it's awesome SSW users are getting support again

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 12 October 2019, 13:09:16 »
Okay, when I try to run it, I get an error message saying "could not find file .\Data\Printing\patterns.zip (The system cannot find the path specified)"

Edit: And now it's decided to run correctly.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 12 October 2019, 19:41:17 »
I also just noticed SAW doesn't fractionalize Lift Equipment either.  So the list of things that need that fix is now: Controls, Turrets, and Lift Equipment.

I wonder about TacOps options. What about stuff like Armored motive systems, and chassis modifications, etc etc. How are they handled?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 12 October 2019, 21:33:17 »
With the exception of ammo, it appears to only be in SAW (SSW does IS and engines just fine).  I acknowledge ammo may be too complicated to implement

Can you check this? In 7.1 I'm able to right click the ammo on the Equipment and Criticals table and set the lot size.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 13 October 2019, 04:58:39 »
Cool... I'll download the new version today and try it out.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 13 October 2019, 06:06:33 »
I never would have thought to right click, thanks!  :thumbsup:

And that trick works in both SAW and SSW.

And thank you for putting in the broader Fractional Accounting issue!  :thumbsup:

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 13 October 2019, 08:21:54 »
np.

I do find one thing interesting. Unless I'm missing errata, the Armored motive system in TacOps doesn't say which way to round.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #35 on: 13 October 2019, 08:34:07 »
np.

I do find one thing interesting. Unless I'm missing errata, the Armored motive system in TacOps doesn't say which way to round.

I was under the impression that in cases like that you round normally (greater than .5 goes up).
« Last Edit: 13 October 2019, 10:48:06 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 13 October 2019, 09:01:55 »
As long as it doesn't use the "or fraction thereof" language, Fractional Accounting applies, so it should apply to the Armored Motive System too.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #37 on: 13 October 2019, 15:35:31 »
Thank you!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 14 October 2019, 09:35:40 »
Well I was able to load up my previous SSW files with now problem.

I have the thread tagged.
Thank you.

Edit:
I did encounter one problem though...

I was trying to load one of my Custom designs that had Re Lasers in it. I get a error notice "setSelectedIndex: 9 out of bounds".
The file opens up still in the older version of SSW.
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 09:46:20 by Tymers Realm »

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 14 October 2019, 10:08:13 »
I was trying to load one of my Custom designs that had Re Lasers in it. I get a error notice "setSelectedIndex: 9 out of bounds".
The file opens up still in the older version of SSW.
Any thoughts?

Most likely you have created a dark age mech with a version that has republic split up into two eras which the source code we had doesn't.  If that is the case, you have three options:

1: Wait until we have a chance to add all the eras that the MUL has.

2: use the old version when loading those files.

3: edit the .ssw file (it's just xml) and find any lines that look like
Code: [Select]
<ProductionEra>9</ProductionEra> or possibly
<loadout_ProductionEra>9</loadout_ProductionEra> and change the 9 to an 8.

Make a backup before doing so, no warranties or guarantees and all that.  but that's what we had to do when we updated the master resources over the weekend from mechs that Maelwys made.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2019, 11:05:06 »
We pushed out a New hotfix.  This includes the updated changes to Re-Engineered lasers which slipped past the previous BV updates, and an updated master list of mechs. Come get it right here:

https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases/tag/v0.7.2

We also do nightly builds of any changes if people want to get in on the bleeding edge.  This might be the only time I announce it here, as it's mostly used for testing and polishing of features. The current nightly build has had the following changes over the stable release:

• Factors Dark age availability when combining availability codes for print out
  • Updated factions for the IS XXL Engine
  • Added The following equipment:
    • Virtual Reality Piloting Pod
    • RISC Hyper Laser
    • RISC Repeating TSEMP
    • Improved PPC
    • Improved Autocannon/2
    • Improved Autocannon/5
    • Improved Autocannon/10
    • Improved Autocannon/20
    • Improved Gauss Rifle
    • Improved Large Laser
    • Improved Large Pulse Laser
    • Improved Long Range Missile-5
    • Improved Long Range Missile-10
    • Improved Long Range Missile-15
    • Improved Long Range Missile-20
    • Improved Short Range Missile-2
    • Improved Short Range Missile-4
    • Improved Short Range Missile-6

It's worth checking out if you want to use new things or just help with the development by testing and telling us what's broken. You'll always be able to get the latest on our release page here: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 20 October 2019, 12:49:48 »
Insaniac has posted 7.3 Release:

This fixes a bug that caused mechs with the DroneOS to be calculated incorrectly after loading.

The master file has a few new mechs and the new calculations based on the aforementioned bugfix.

https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases/tag/v0.7.3

This stable is does not have the added equipment of the nightlies, if you've been using the nightlies the current one is here:

https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases/tag/0.7.3.20191019

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 20 October 2019, 12:55:34 »
Is fractional accounting working in SAW yet, or do I need to download it to test that?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 20 October 2019, 14:17:00 »
Not yet.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 20 October 2019, 14:17:26 »
Is fractional accounting working in SAW yet, or do I need to download it to test that?

There have been no changes to Fractional Accounting at this moment.  My limited dev time as been on adding equipment.

We welcome anyone who wants to help, but we're a small team and all of us have jobs and a family that we also have to spend time with.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 20 October 2019, 14:25:25 »
Rog, thanks!  Teaching myself Java is about five years away (retirement, and all that)…

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 17 November 2019, 17:35:31 »
Is it just me, or does the print preview have almost no way to scroll down?  Only way I can find is the mouse wheel, but it's REALLY slow.  Like every tick of the wheel moves the preview down about one pixel.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 17 November 2019, 19:50:51 »
I don't know... The computer I use it on isn't connected to a printer.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 18 November 2019, 00:42:46 »
Is it just me, or does the print preview have almost no way to scroll down?  Only way I can find is the mouse wheel, but it's REALLY slow.  Like every tick of the wheel moves the preview down about one pixel.

Looks like the width or something is off, if you drag the window sideways a tad the scroll bar appears, I'll add it to the pile to fix

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 21 November 2019, 13:14:29 »
I noticed something odd concerning standard AC/10s...

Now I don't have AS rules, so I could be missing something between the 6 and 7 SSW builds, but shouldn't having a AC/10 give a AC 1/1/0 Special Ability?

I'm asking mainly because I was comparing two different designs both using a Arm mounted AC/10. The only difference is the one with the Special Ability (done in ver 6 of SSW) only has the Shoulder & Upper Arm Actuators and the one without (done in ver 7 SSW) also has the Lower Arm & Hand Actuators as well.

Or am I just over thinking this?

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 21 November 2019, 13:36:07 »
I noticed something odd concerning standard AC/10s...

Now I don't have AS rules, so I could be missing something between the 6 and 7 SSW builds, but shouldn't having a AC/10 give a AC 1/1/0 Special Ability?

I'm asking mainly because I was comparing two different designs both using a Arm mounted AC/10. The only difference is the one with the Special Ability (done in ver 6 of SSW) only has the Shoulder & Upper Arm Actuators and the one without (done in ver 7 SSW) also has the Lower Arm & Hand Actuators as well.

Or am I just over thinking this?

SSW uses old conversion rules for it's Converter to AS.  It's on the list to update, but until then, don't trust it.  Instead I suggest using the MUL as it is authoritative.

We gladly welcome any help in this department, I will have to learn the AS rules from scratch to even start converting it over.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 21 November 2019, 13:54:55 »
SSW uses old conversion rules for it's Converter to AS.  It's on the list to update, but until then, don't trust it.  Instead I suggest using the MUL as it is authoritative.

We gladly welcome any help in this department, I will have to learn the AS rules from scratch to even start converting it over.

Ok, good to know...

For reference, both 'Mechs I mentioned were custom designs and not any Canon units.
I myself am not a big fan of AS, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: 26 November 2019, 18:53:56 »
Is there any hope of a aerospace units maker being added too?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 26 November 2019, 18:58:19 »
I think there are enough issues in SSW and SAW to keep everyone busy for a while...

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 26 November 2019, 20:12:55 »
I think there are enough issues in SSW and SAW to keep everyone busy for a while...

This.

If we get a dev who wants to devote their time to get Aerospace we will welcome them.  As it is, today I am updating BV and working on getting in missing equipment once I finish managing the family budget.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 26 November 2019, 20:16:08 »
And because it can't be said often enough, THANK YOU for bringing life back to the design software with the absolute best user interface in existence!  :thumbsup:

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 26 November 2019, 23:43:41 »
As said, I rarely notify of nightly releases.  In this case, I mention it because tonights includes the updates to BV that xotl released today

https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases/tag/0.7.3.20191126

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #57 on: 01 December 2019, 12:02:54 »
cool!

A.E. Housman

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 02 January 2020, 00:41:38 »
Just a quick heads up. We're going to try to keep the website updated as well with the builds and releases and files.

https://sites.google.com/a/solarisskunkwerks.com/site/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 02 January 2020, 06:22:10 »
Awesome, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #60 on: 02 January 2020, 08:27:33 »
Are you guys moving from Github site to google drive?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #61 on: 02 January 2020, 08:29:01 »
Why would they do that?  ???

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 02 January 2020, 12:08:43 »
Are you guys moving from Github site to google drive?
The original website was a google site, Maelwys finally got back into it to update the posting which was far behind the github repo. The repo is still how its being developed and hosted, but the original website can now be updated with current information.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 02 January 2020, 12:38:23 »
Ah, ok... thanks!  :thumbsup:

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 03 January 2020, 10:58:21 »
Insaniac99 has called for help, I'm passing it along.

Anyone want to help with SSW and especially SAW?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 03 January 2020, 11:05:50 »
If I had time to learn Java, certainly... but that won't be for about another 5 years...  :-\

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #66 on: 04 January 2020, 00:22:18 »
First time playing with one of the new releases, I downloaded version 0.7.3.20191126 (didn't realize there was another pre-release) and am running into an issue when I load an omnimech file.   The issue seems to occure whether I am using a file created in an older version of SSW or a newly created entry.  When I attempt to swap between different configurations that whatever configuration I was in first is what will also show as a load out for the configuration I swapped to.

After some trial and error the only way I could get the correct configuration data to show was to reopen SSW, however the problem would persist if I attempted to switch to another configure I would have to close and re-open the program.  Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 04 January 2020, 06:55:18 »
I don't do omnimechs, so no, sorry...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 05 January 2020, 01:28:43 »
First time playing with one of the new releases, I downloaded version 0.7.3.20191126 (didn't realize there was another pre-release) and am running into an issue when I load an omnimech file.   The issue seems to occure whether I am using a file created in an older version of SSW or a newly created entry.  When I attempt to swap between different configurations that whatever configuration I was in first is what will also show as a load out for the configuration I swapped to.

After some trial and error the only way I could get the correct configuration data to show was to reopen SSW, however the problem would persist if I attempted to switch to another configure I would have to close and re-open the program.  Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Are you using the normal or the widescreen version, and could you give me a bit more details on the steps to reproduce it?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #69 on: 07 January 2020, 17:22:44 »
I didn't know there was a normal and wide screen version and I am not home atm where I can tell you for certain from memory.  Is there some sort of difference I should note outside of version number?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 07 January 2020, 21:54:57 »
The normal version has 7 tabs, while the widescreen only has 4, and combines the base tab with the armor tab, while the Add Equipment and critical location tabs are combined.

You can change between the normal and the widescreen view by going to Preferences and the Program tab.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #71 on: 07 January 2020, 22:52:45 »
Normal version, not wide screen.  Thus far the load issue seems to effect specifically omni designs that I composed in SSW 0.6.83.1.

Specific designs that won't load include the Avalanche, Doloire, Ryoken III XP, Sarath, Tenshi, and Thor II.  Omni's made with the same version of SSW that do open correctly include the Vulture MK VI, Mad Cat MK VI, Wendigo, Templar III.

I can go into SSW 0.6.83.1 and open or load up any of those mechs that are causing me issues in and they are just fine.  It is only when I try and open or load from a default status in 0.7.3.20191126 that nothing loads.  If I am in another mech/omni file, lets say Mech X, and opening or loading one of these 'problem' mechs then the mech file for Mech X will remain and the selected variant drop down at the top of the screen will grey out with whatever version of omni I started in.

If you need any further details let me know.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 08 January 2020, 17:59:47 »
Could you attach the files of some of the designs that are broken?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #73 on: 08 January 2020, 23:19:17 »
Here are 4 of them.  If you need any other's lmk.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 09 January 2020, 00:19:26 »
Try changing every instance of "<productionera> </productionera>" and "<loadout_productionera></loadout_productionera>" to 7 instead of 8 and 9.

I think that will fix it.

If I'm right (and I tested the Tenshi) what happened is in between versions of SSW, we lost a few of the production Eras, so 7.0 doesn't recognize 9  (and maybe 8) and flips out.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #75 on: 10 January 2020, 09:46:08 »
Man, I am happy to see this being worked on again!

A.E. Housman

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #76 on: 05 February 2020, 00:22:33 »
Minor item I've noticed when I'm doing a print to clip board in order to post items to the forum, if a mech has jump jets the print out shows "Jump Jets: None" and on the next line it will show "Jump Capacity: X meters".

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 06 February 2020, 21:42:46 »
Hmm. I take it this is in the fluff bit at the top, just after the speed in KPH and just before the name of the armor?

I can get it to show up as "Unknown" but not "None"

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #78 on: 08 February 2020, 00:28:00 »
Correct.  I originally posted this in design in a separate thread and that is when I noticed the issue (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=62390.540).  If you would like I post the an attached file.

Orion FG

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/D-F-D-D
Production Year: 0
Dry Cost: 7,058,625 C-Bills
Total Cost: 7,058,625 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,699

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    4  Large Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                     114 points                7.50
Engine:             Fusion Engine                300                      19.00
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 4 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 CT, 1 LL, 1 RL                                   4.00
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             16(32)                    6.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 224                 12.50
    Armor Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT, 5 LA, 4 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     23           33       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  10       
                                           L/R Torso     16           24       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  8         
                                             L/R Arm     12           24       
                                             L/R Leg     16           30       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Large Laser                                  RA        8         2         5.00
Large Laser                                  LA        8         2         5.00
Large Laser                                  RT        8         2         5.00
Large Laser                                  LT        8         2         5.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 13

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 17
4j         4       4       0       0      3     0   Structure:  6
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 08 February 2020, 04:47:34 »
I believe the "none" only refers to manufacturer, and it's been doing that for years.  I agree "unknown" would be more appropriate.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 08 February 2020, 11:08:07 »
What version are you using? Because I can't get "None" to appear, unless I type it in. The default in the 0.7.X version seems to be "Unknown" rather than "None"

New mech? Old mech files?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #81 on: 09 February 2020, 13:32:17 »

It was a new mech generated from scratch I believe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 09 February 2020, 14:01:13 »
Hmmm... the last one I did in 0.7.1 defaulted to "Unknown".

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #83 on: 09 February 2020, 21:37:07 »
Hmmm... the last one I did in 0.7.1 defaulted to "Unknown".
I only noticed it because I was posting it in our challenge thread and trying to figure out why it said I didn't have any jump jets.  Then I went and looked at the rest of the post and they were definitely there.  It's the biggest deal in world because it appears to be doing the math and crit allocation correctly and that is all that is I need.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #84 on: 29 February 2020, 02:42:29 »
Okay, when I try to run it, I get an error message saying "could not find file .\Data\Printing\patterns.zip (The system cannot find the path specified)"

Edit: And now it's decided to run correctly.
Any idea what might have fixed it? I have the same problem but it's refusing to go away.

As this is on top of the hair-tearing annoyance of troubleshooting installing Java again in the first place, I don't have the patience to tool around on my own as much as I'd like.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 10 April 2020, 14:30:00 »
Hey, I'm trying to create a custom piece of equipment following this guideline: http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/custom-weapons

However, when converting using the binconvert.jar, I keep getting this error message and only a 1KB .dat file:

For input string: "0,5"java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "0,5"

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it? Surely I don't have to change all commas into dots?
I tried Open Office as well as Excel, each as suggested in the guideline...

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 10 April 2020, 15:31:06 »
Hey, I'm trying to create a custom piece of equipment following this guideline: http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/custom-weapons

However, when converting using the binconvert.jar, I keep getting this error message and only a 1KB .dat file:

For input string: "0,5"java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "0,5"

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it? Surely I don't have to change all commas into dots?
I tried Open Office as well as Excel, each as suggested in the guideline...

Possibility 1:  double check your version, the unstable version that is out has a breaking change that will affect the parsing (and is a transitional step before we actually change to a simpler method).

Possibility 2: you are correct and it is the commas, when you save you should have an option somewhere to use the same formatting that US and Canada use.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #87 on: 10 April 2020, 15:41:20 »
I'm actually using an "unstable" version. So that might be it indeed. Will test the stable version as soon as time allows. Thanks!

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 10 April 2020, 17:04:04 »
I'm actually using an "unstable" version. So that might be it indeed. Will test the stable version as soon as time allows. Thanks!

Double check your equipment file too then.  I don't remember if I added the column to the blank one (because this was always intended to be transitionary) but the one that actually has the new equipment that has since been added will have the new column.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #89 on: 18 May 2020, 21:58:53 »
I took a bit of a hiatus from the game, but I'm glad to see SSW being supported again, and George and Maelwys' investment in the program and entering units moving forward. Looking forward to giving the new version a whirl.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #90 on: 20 June 2020, 21:25:33 »
How do I check the experimental equipment in SAW?  I've selected All Eras (non-canon) and Experimental Tech but the Experimental Tech boxes and names are grayed out and unselectable.  Help?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 21 June 2020, 07:29:57 »
What's odd is that they're greyed out for you.  In every version I've used, unavailable equipment doesn't appear at all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 21 June 2020, 08:08:23 »
The things he's talking about are on the front tab, not the equipment list.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 21 June 2020, 08:31:43 »
Ah, forgot about those.  Working on my end.  Version 0.7.3.20191019 if that helps at all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 21 June 2020, 08:36:53 »
My version only says 0.7.3, and it's not working for me either.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #95 on: 22 June 2020, 06:55:21 »
My version only says 0.7.3, and it's not working for me either.
Did you check your java? Is it up to date?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #96 on: 22 June 2020, 10:43:27 »
I can tell you my me is up to date and all the options for experimental tech are regardless of changes to era/tech that are made in SAW. I just chalked up to never being finished.  It has been that way as long as I can remember.

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #97 on: 13 July 2020, 09:33:58 »
Best record sheet builder  out there!
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #98 on: 18 July 2020, 13:33:31 »
Do i need post on gig to note that the Solaris is not allowing for equipment to be listed as standard in Dark Age, when it's experimental in previous eras.  Partial Wing is standard now, not Experimental. Even if you set the year/era correctly.

Ivoryskull

• Recruit
    • Tabletop Gamers Association
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.4.1
« Reply #99 on: 14 October 2020, 19:40:45 »

I am having this problem. I can see the file, it just cannot find it? How do I fix it please?
Catalyst Games Labs Agent #139
Tabletop Gamers Association Co-Founder
www.tgaperth.com
Perth's best tabletop games club!

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.4.1
« Reply #100 on: 15 October 2020, 08:09:18 »
I am having this problem. I can see the file, it just cannot find it? How do I fix it please?

It's most likely a pathing issue with your set-up.  I don't know wh it happens for some, I personally haven't been able to replicate it but this normally fixes

Try downloading this

unzip that in the SSW directory and you should be able to launch each app by doubleclicking them

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 26 October 2020, 16:01:33 »
Is there any chance that SAW will get some love soon with the following problems? -> The armored motive system still isn't available, also trailers don't work correctly and IIRC, there is still no option for super-heavy vehicles.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #102 on: 26 October 2020, 18:16:43 »
Is there any chance that SAW will get some love soon with the following problems? -> The armored motive system still isn't available, also trailers don't work correctly and IIRC, there is still no option for super-heavy vehicles.

I think the basics of super heavies are in there? I know I can build a 100-ton hovercraft.

We try to get work done but we need devs and the two we have full-time work and families so very limited work time.  When we have that time, the first priority is to polish mechs further and fix BV, then the easiest things to add get done first for more features to release.

That said If you file tickets on Github, we'll have it on the list and try to complete them.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 27 October 2020, 08:35:38 »
I think the basics of super heavies are in there? I know I can build a 100-ton hovercraft.

We try to get work done but we need devs and the two we have full-time work and families so very limited work time.  When we have that time, the first priority is to polish mechs further and fix BV, then the easiest things to add get done first for more features to release.

That said If you file tickets on Github, we'll have it on the list and try to complete them.

Yes, hovers, but the rest? Not so much :/
I'll see about Github. Will have to register first, I think.
And of course I appreciate the effort. Would be cool to have an alternative to MML again (to be frank, I always prefered SSWs UI and intuitivity over MMLs UI and the fact that it doesn't show me the remaining tonnage but only how much I have already used of the overall tonnage. That's why I was asking for info whether you had plans to give SAW a serious update or not. ;)
« Last Edit: 27 October 2020, 08:38:00 by Phobos »

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #104 on: 02 December 2020, 10:32:46 »
It is our pleasure to release Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.5! Below the link we have a brief listing of the updates to SSW.

You can download the newest version, and join our development discord through our Github page here. We welcome all who want to help make SSW even better: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks#solaris-skunk-werks

# This has breaking changes from the last release:

The format for Exclusions in the Equipment JSON file has changed. If you use any custom equipment with exclusions, you will need to modify the Exclusions field in your custom JSON like so:

```
"Exclusions": [
  "HarJel",
  "HarJel II"
]
```

# Fixes and Features:
* HarJels have now been fully implemented. The correct armor multipliers, exclusions, and BF abilities are now applied.
* SAW now correctly allocates space for ammo bins.
* Extended fuel tanks are now treated like explosive ammo for the purpose of BV calculations.
* Fixed a bug where Partial Wings could not be equipped if there were exactly enough free slots.
* Fixed a UI refresh issue when loading units with various chassis modifications in SAW.
* Removed the various "Upload to Solaris 7" options as S7 is not coming back (per Skyhigh).
* Fields were added to equipment so that SAW can properly allocate heatsinks.
* Fixed a bug where fractional accounting wasn't working correctly with poweramps.
* Fully implemented Radical Heat Sinks and corrected previous behavior.
* Fixed a rounding error when determining coolant pod bonuses in the Cost/BV Breakdown.
* SSW now enforces Nuclear/Fusion engines when equipment requires them.
* Added Beagle Active Probe (@Maelwys).
* Added Prototype Guardian ECM Suite (@Maelwys).
* Added Gauss Prototypes (@Maelwys)
* Added RISC Viral Jammers (@Maelwys)
* Adjust Prototype AC Ammo BV
* Update RHS to match the errata'd calculation of a bonus == ceil(NumHS * 0.4) instead of ceil(baseDissipation * 1.4)
* Update Pentagon Rocket Launchers BV
* Make PPC Capacitor available for both IS and Clan.
* Check for Armored Turrets in BV calcs and give turret full BV for front/rear arcs
* Update Chain Whip Damage Add to 3
* BV calcs properly sort by BV (highest first) then heat (lowest first)
* Fixed BV issues related to weapon sorting.
* Added `TripleStrengthMyomerAffectsBV` to physical weapons to account for TSM in BV calculations.
* Fixed incorrect ammo explosion BV penalty affecting quad mechs.
* SSW now accounts for armored turrets in BV calculations.
* Fixed incorrect BV multipliers for armored equipment.
* Updated various equipment BVs to reflect errata.
* Omnimechs are now properly restricted from equipping certain types of hardened armor.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 12:27:57 by Insaniac99 »

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release (Now 0.7.5!)
« Reply #105 on: 04 December 2020, 00:25:17 »
Do you guys have a patreon? PM me if necessary.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #106 on: 04 December 2020, 11:08:30 »
Do you guys have a patreon? PM me if necessary.

No one on the team takes any money for this.  Aside from the fact that we do it for fun, passion, insanity, and/or professional development; having any money involved would open a big ol' can of worms.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #107 on: 04 December 2020, 12:27:26 »
A Microsoft shaped can of worms?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #108 on: 07 December 2020, 17:42:03 »
A Microsoft shaped can of worms?

I never considered that.

A.E. Housman

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #109 on: 12 December 2020, 17:39:42 »
Thank you!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #110 on: 13 December 2020, 09:46:48 »
How does the current version work with Windows 7? Still use a old laptop with it for my record sheet needs.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Ft_Hood

• Recruit
« Reply #111 on: 15 December 2020, 01:24:39 »
I am new to Skunk works.....what exactly do I download to start using this application?

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 15 December 2020, 10:35:11 »
How does the current version work with Windows 7? Still use a old laptop with it for my record sheet needs.

Same as always.  It uses java.

I am new to Skunk works.....what exactly do I download to start using this application?

You need a java runtime and you need to download the release.  You probably also want a copy of the master files that are canon mechs, the most current stable release has a zip of them ready to go.

MechWarriorFox

• Corporal
« Reply #113 on: 25 December 2020, 05:07:13 »
So, could I recreate the Werewolf 005 variant in SSW? Just asking because I want to make a custom variant of that variant for an alpha-strike campaign.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #114 on: 26 December 2020, 11:59:19 »
So, could I recreate the Werewolf 005 variant in SSW? Just asking because I want to make a custom variant of that variant for an alpha-strike campaign.

You could recreate it, yes.  It is also in the Master list of canon units that is maintained for SSW