Author Topic: VTOL Bays?  (Read 2025 times)

pupecki

• Sergeant
VTOL Bays?
« on: 26 June 2018, 23:37:31 »
I hope this is posted in the right section, but I’m wondering if VTOLs use fighter or vehicle bays?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: VTOL Bays?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2018, 02:17:46 »
In light vehicle bays is where I put them. They have to be rolled out of the dropper before they can fly.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2018, 05:37:39 »
In light vehicle bays is where I put them. They have to be rolled out of the dropper before they can fly.

Great, thank you!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2018, 07:06:54 »
I always thought they used vehicle bays, because the rules say they're combat vehicles.

As far as I know:
VTOLs & WiGEs use Vehicle bays
Conventional Fighters use Aerospace bays
Aerospace fighters use Aerospace or Small Craft bays
Small Craft use Small Craft bays

But I've been mistaken before.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2018, 13:42:27 »
This is sort of where it breaks down . . . if the VTOL has a bunch of wobbly blades, then yeah vehicle rolled out just like they offload copters from C-5s.  If its vectored thrust in protected nacelles (hello Skada & Hawk Moth II) . . . then throw them with the ASF catapult!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2018, 16:33:32 »
True, but vectored thrust vehicles wouldn't have a problem driving out of a vehicle bay either...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2018, 20:39:35 »
Sure . . . but they are typically not set up to go mid-flight as the DS is landing.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2018, 21:02:33 »
Agreed... vehicle bays certainly aren't set up for that.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2018, 09:14:57 »
Depends on the VTOL . The modified Rose Class Drop Ship that carry the Super Heavy Tunbo VTOL likely just exchanges the small craft bay with a super heavy Combat vehicle bay . In this case you have a 57 ton VTOL in a 200 ton bay replacing a small craft meant to be launched in flight snag up to 112 ton piece of Salvage and fly back in which the salvage is transfered to cargo for processing . With this salvage remains on the battlefied is removed in 10 - 30 seconds plus flight time not hours and days with a mech recovery vehicle. I would also presume if an aerospace figher bay got converted into 3 light vehicle bay would also allow in fight launches .
« Last Edit: 27 July 2018, 06:11:03 by Col Toda »