Author Topic: LOS along straight line  (Read 1438 times)

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
LOS along straight line
« on: 13 July 2018, 19:47:01 »
Hey guys, so another player and I did not have the same view concerning this rule.  My understanding based on LOS rules in BM Manual p22 and TW p101 is that the line must be exactly splitting two hexes.  A scenario came up where the opposing mech was far enough away and at such an angle that the laser pointer seemed to catch the last half of the line leading into my unit's hex.  As I was declaring an attack the opposing player said that because it intersected the line at all he got to decide which of the two hexes immediately next to my mech (a heavy and light woods) the line of fire went through. 

I was hoping to get some confirmation on if it HAS to be directly down the line or if touching the line at all can be used.  Thank you!  (If this is not clear enough I can throw together a picture)
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: LOS along straight line
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2018, 19:51:44 »
Easiest way is this.

Go down the half hex like tge rules show. Evertging at less than 180 degress grants cover. Anything greatrr does not.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2018, 20:07:01 »
The question is arriving at the need for the line down the center of the hexes.  To even have the decision of a hexside do the hexes occupied by the attacker and target have to be exactly intersecting by the same line?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2018, 20:18:41 »
The question is arriving at the need for the line down the center of the hexes.  To even have the decision of a hexside do the hexes occupied by the attacker and target have to be exactly intersecting by the same line?

The LOS should be from center to center, and only one possible line.  Every hex the line enters, no matter how small, counts.  if the line only crosses the line between hexes, and doesn't actually enter either of the two hexes it crosses, then only one of the two hexes counts.
If a line goes through a hex and appears to be touching the line between it and another hex, the another hex doesn't count.  It has to go in to the hex.  the rule about going down the line only applies when the LOS doesn't enter either of the two hexes on either side of the line.
Technically, the LOS can only appear to be touching the line anyway, or its touching the entire line (and therefore would not have entered either hex).  Mathematically it can't do both. If it's clearly in one hex, it's not on the line between the two hexes.  Lines don't work that way (connecting to a point beyond them).

(I'm not sure which is worse, thinking my explanation is a mess, or worried I missed something about this issue I'm not getting).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2018, 20:26:22 »
Or to put another way,
Put the laser pointer along the line the other player is suggesting the LOS touches.  If that line doesn't go right through the center of the hex your 'mech is on, the LOS doesn't go along the line and the rule about choosing hexes doesn't apply. Whichever side your 'mech is on from the line is the hex the LOS is going through.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2018, 10:35:23 »
I'm home from last night, so I put together a nice graphic to show you what I mean.

The RED MECH is in a hex behind a Level 1 Hill.

The Green Mech is straight down what my gaming group simply calls the HALF HEX line. Each Grey Hex will draw LoS straight down the side of the Hill, so the Oragne mech Get's to choose whether it has Partial cover of not from the Green Mech. Same rule applies for LoS.

This then Splits the Field in half so to speak. Everything on the Reddish side (where the BLUE MECH is) will grant Partial Cover to the Orange. Note the Reddish area extends all the way to the left to the next Half-Half-Half section.

This means that everything in the Green Area (where the Pink Mech is), will not ever draw Line of Sight to the Orange mech that will grant the Orange Mech Partial Cover. No matter how far away in hexes, Mathematics will not allow the line to ever cross or even touch the corner of the Hill from the Green area.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 10:40:01 by NeonKnight »

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2018, 10:52:35 »
Thank you guys, the graphic is a really big help.  That is exactly the situation the happened Neon Knight, thank you. 

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2018, 11:05:30 »
Thank you guys, the graphic is a really big help.  That is exactly the situation the happened Neon Knight, thank you.

Glad it was a Help.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2018, 01:14:32 »
On a further note to speed gameplay you throw a d6. To pick a winner of the argument in the moment and sort it out after the game.

Register