Author Topic: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced  (Read 11564 times)

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced
« Reply #30 on: 17 September 2023, 09:10:13 »
For sure we're going to get Luthien and Tukayyid.

I wonder if the storyline will allow deviations from the actual events, e.g. clans win Luthien.

I also wonder how the Year of Peace will play out. Return to the homeworlds for Trial of Bloodright (mini campaign within a campaign?), or hang out in the IS doing COIN ops? Maybe even both, depending on your results in the campaign!

IMO, it's not too difficult to tack on a procedurally-generated aspect, especially post-Tukayyid, where as a member of the Smoke Jaguars, you can choose worlds and specific locations to attack/raid. Instead of money, the game designers could change it to a more nebulous currency centred around clan honour instead. E.g. spend 100 honour points to attack Babuyan, bidding/batchall uses up/gains honour points, victory/salvage etc earns more honour points.

And then in 3059, it all comes crashing down when you suddenly face 12 to 1 odds. :tongue:

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2023, 09:24:13 »
For sure we're going to get Luthien and Tukayyid.

I wonder if the storyline will allow deviations from the actual events, e.g. clans win Luthien.
 :tongue:

My understanding of that in MW5:Mercs you "kind of" alter cannon events up to 3049, as it is your own singleplayer universe (besides co op drop in and instant action), if MW5:Clans will be like that ? What would be interesting, could we win the defence of Huntress, or even not get there ? IE: Win Tukayyid

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #32 on: 17 September 2023, 09:36:09 »
Winning Tukayyid would be a rather impressive feat for the player to do single-handedly. Even if the Jaguars are allowed to complete their objective in this game's version of the Battle of Tukayyid, I expect the Clans will be halted regardless, because I think more than two Clans (the other being the Wolves, of course) will be required to succeed for a Clan Tukayyid victory to happen.

Winning Luthien is definitely on the table, though. However, it's possible the narrative will put us somewhere else entirely while that's happening; if (admittedly a big "if") there's a Clan update to Mercenaries that releases alongside this game, we could wind up defending Luthien instead, as the Cavaliers.

In any case, we're looking at a linear campaign that seems structured more like most campaigns we've seen that didn't carry the Mercenaries title, so I don't think there's going to be any randomly generated content, at least not until postgame if there is one.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #33 on: 17 September 2023, 12:43:39 »
I hope the game actually starts with the Revival trials in the Homeworlds where the player has a role in ensuring Clan Smoke Jaguar is an invading Clan  :laugh:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #34 on: 17 September 2023, 14:05:24 »
Revival trials through to closing stages of tukayyid with an unwinnable mission in the end, smoke jaguar, good narrative...that'd be cool.

I'm happy it'll be MW *5*: Clans, not MW 6. My computer will assuredly be able to run it to near fullest settings, and its more likely to be at gog.com at the same time as other game buying platforms.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 17 September 2023, 15:21:04 »
My guess would be its both Xbox and PC as Mercs currently is on both ans this is the sequel

It's coming to Playstation as well.

It's on Unreal Engine 5, btw.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #36 on: 17 September 2023, 17:18:54 »
Listening to the No Guts No Galaxy podcast on the article it sounds like:

we'll be doing the Jaguar invasion all the way to Serpent we won't control the story they are specifically going for set pieces and story content over free-wheeling through the Inner Sphere like Mercs, i wouldn't expect to have much control othrr than the Mechs you are using
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #37 on: 17 September 2023, 18:15:48 »
Ending with the Jaguar Annihilation could be a fun way to lead the player on two different paths:  Go with Paul Moon to the Inner Sphere, or go bandit caste with Russou Howell!
BATTLEMASTER

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 17 September 2023, 18:38:10 »
Ending with the Jaguar Annihilation could be a fun way to lead the player on two different paths:  Go with Paul Moon to the Inner Sphere, or go bandit caste with Russou Howell!

Or option 3: Bondsman/woman to the Inner Sphere invasion force bringing you full circle from Invader to next generation of Merc for the next brutal war...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 18 September 2023, 08:27:05 »
MW5: The Clans

A test bed for (The official "hinted") MW6 perhaps ?

A bigger Invasion Era, where you can choose from the major Clans and IS Houses in singleplayer similar, but fight more similar to a mix of MW5:Clans and MW5: Mercs singleplayer, with co op, and for full on multiplayer have kinda a MWO reboot, for next gen machines?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2023, 08:38:46 »
I'm not sure if they have a licence for another MW title beyond this one but I'm guessing if it was successful there shouldn't be a reason that they couldn't do another.

However I was thinking the battle would go beyond the Clan Invasion in MW6 and follow where the timeline has gone

MW5 Mercs was an open-ended "canon inspired" take on the Fourth Succession War

MW5 Clans appears to be the invasion story of Clan Smoke Jaguar - you don't necessarily need another Clan Invasion story

MW4 covered the FedCom Civil War as did MechCommander 2 so that doesn't need rehashed

But if you really wanted a "bigger battle" the most natural next step is the MW6: Jihad

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2023, 10:02:56 »
But if you really wanted a "bigger battle" the most natural next step is the MW6: Jihad

Yes, that sounds good, and if that is a success, we could get an ilClan Era DLC, as by the time any such game came out, ilClan would have developed a fair bit, quiaff

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2023, 11:39:52 »
MW5: The Clans

A test bed for (The official "hinted") MW6 perhaps ?

A bigger Invasion Era, where you can choose from the major Clans and IS Houses in singleplayer similar, but fight more similar to a mix of MW5:Clans and MW5: Mercs singleplayer, with co op, and for full on multiplayer have kinda a MWO reboot, for next gen machines?

I think that's far, far, far in the future. Right now they have MW5: Clans and then they have to renew the license with Microsoft in 2025 if they want to keep making more Mechwarrior stuff. This also depends on EG7 and if they want to spend the resources and bandwidth on the series. After that, you'll likely see similar forms of products like PGI did with MW5: Mercenaries, such as multiple DLCs with new missions, mechs, and so on.

I'm not sure if they have a licence for another MW title beyond this one but I'm guessing if it was successful there shouldn't be a reason that they couldn't do another.

The license ends in 2025 with Microsoft and has to be renewed if EG7 and PGI want to.

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 19 September 2023, 20:45:20 »
 I just finished a Clan Wolf playthrough of Mechwarrior 2 (Hard difficulty!) and hilariously enough, the ending is technically canon! Clan Wolf lands on Terra! I guess they predicted this all the way back in 1995.
My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #44 on: 20 September 2023, 07:55:32 »

I'd like to see a Jihad-era MechWarrior game.  I can imagine a scripted mission where nukes go off in the distance at the end, kinda like that one mission in Ace Combat Zero where you're in the air and see a bright flash when nukes go off in the mountains.
BATTLEMASTER

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 20 September 2023, 14:18:37 »
I'd like to see a Jihad-era MechWarrior game.  I can imagine a scripted mission where nukes go off in the distance at the end, kinda like that one mission in Ace Combat Zero where you're in the air and see a bright flash when nukes go off in the mountains.
I'd be on board with that.  I think what will happen will be either original or the Clan version of MW5 will get DLC to cover that. However, that's would be huge update.  Most of the 'mechs in MW5 series aren't even close to the new ones.

I do wonder what Inner Sphere mechs will be added to Clan version of the game.  Likely new variants, but there many designs not included.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2023, 16:02:57 »
I'd be on board with that.  I think what will happen will be either original or the Clan version of MW5 will get DLC to cover that. However, that's would be huge update.  Most of the 'mechs in MW5 series aren't even close to the new ones.

I do wonder what Inner Sphere mechs will be added to Clan version of the game.  Likely new variants, but there many designs not included.

Problem is most existing IS 'Mechs not already in MW5:Mercs they can take from MWO are all Civil War stuff which is beyond the timeframe of MW5:Clans is claimed to be doing. In all honesty I think the focus will be on porting the Clan OmniMechs/BattleMechs they already have, with just the existing DLC included stable of IS designs to fight against. Pretty sure Stone Rhino will appear, player is Smoke Jag after all, but any other new 'Mechs would be DLC stuff.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2023, 16:03:09 »
Nah I think DLC for this one with probably be along the lines of the other Clans invasions (shorter versions of the Jag campaign) or Tukayyid variants for the Clans

That way they can get away with adding one or two mechs per DLC

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #48 on: 21 September 2023, 18:34:30 »
I was hoping some new mechs be added, like Wolf Trap, Caesar, etc......Frigging Stinger, Wasp!  :tongue:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #49 on: 21 September 2023, 20:08:23 »
The Hermes.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 22 September 2023, 11:33:35 »
I was hoping some new mechs be added, like Wolf Trap, Caesar, etc......Frigging Stinger, Wasp!  :tongue:

If I had to bet I'd say it will be the MW5 Mechs + the initial wave of Clan Mechs from the invasion specifically Jag ones I wouldn't expect to see them all so Nova and Summoner may be left out as they are mainly Falcon they could be held for DLC

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #51 on: 22 September 2023, 16:22:35 »
I hope at least all original 16 TRO 3050 omnis are included - the Fire Moth would be a nice surprise!  We'd have the original MW2 lineup and more, like the IICs, Piranha, Incubus, Vapor Eagle, Kodiak, and Stone Rhino!
BATTLEMASTER

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 22 September 2023, 17:28:51 »
I hope at least all original 16 TRO 3050 omnis are included - the Fire Moth would be a nice surprise!  We'd have the original MW2 lineup and more, like the IICs, Piranha, Incubus, Vapor Eagle, Kodiak, and Stone Rhino!

I would expect all the mechs from MWO and previous MW5 expansions.  No Fire Moth, AFAIK.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: 22 September 2023, 17:40:18 »
No Dasher was engine limitations in MWO around speed/lag, so I guess the question is does that still matter in both MW5s? MW5:Mercs has no leg or rear facing weapons, but how much of that is engine limitation as more design/cloning of MWO decisions?

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #54 on: 26 September 2023, 17:46:42 »
I just finished a Clan Wolf playthrough of Mechwarrior 2 (Hard difficulty!) and hilariously enough, the ending is technically canon! Clan Wolf lands on Terra! I guess they predicted this all the way back in 1995.

LoL. Hour of the Wolf, indeed.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 03 October 2023, 07:21:34 »
I wanna get my hands on a Turkina  :cool: (it "almost" happened for Mek Tek Pak 4 for MW4 Mercs)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #56 on: 03 October 2023, 07:38:14 »
I think everything is hinging on what will happen with the renewal of the agreement with microsoft.

I see two potential things that need to be addressed cuz if it affects everything.

Should the contract / agreement that goes through it will depend on if they can convince Microsoft to get away from old engine and get newer updated one.    Mechwarrior online is subject to the issue because the software was a mandate by Microsoft to use. The engine is getting old, programers are getting harder to find whom work on it. Hopefully they will get enough funding to be able to change it, however it's hard to say. 

The second thing is how profitable MW5 has been for PGI and it's parent company.

It would be up to the parent company to pony up money and resources so PGI can have enough resources to work on a completely new engine.

If MWO goes the license goes with it, I suspect that's the reason why it's been around for so long. Cuz that was part of the original stipulations of using BattleTech/ Mechwarrior electronic franchise license.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: 03 October 2023, 23:17:54 »
License is to 2025 unless Microsoft decide to pull the pin. MW5:Mercs will have its development ended and MW5:Clans will be out with a couple of DLC by then. Who knows if MWO will last that long? The only real risk is the other game EG7 board minutes indicated was being considered.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 04 October 2023, 07:57:46 »
The only real risk is the other game EG7 board minutes indicated was being considered.
What exactly was said?

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 05 October 2023, 07:21:50 »
License is to 2025 unless Microsoft decide to pull the pin. MW5:Mercs will have its development ended and MW5:Clans will be out with a couple of DLC by then. Who knows if MWO will last that long? The only real risk is the other game EG7 board minutes indicated was being considered.

EG7 plans to invest 20 million USD to keep making Mechwarrior and have Clans out with multiple DLCs up until 2027 when a 'new' Mechwarrior game is out - likely a Civil War one.

Register