Author Topic: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced  (Read 11572 times)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced
« Reply #60 on: 05 October 2023, 07:49:02 »
EG7 plans to invest 20 million USD to keep making Mechwarrior and have Clans out with multiple DLCs up until 2027 when a 'new' Mechwarrior game is out - likely a Civil War one.

Civil War, as in Fed Com, quiaff ? If so, was not MW4: Mercs that ?

Should be jihad, a game that like the fiction really shook things up, like Clan and IS allying, RoTs early history ?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 05 October 2023, 20:49:53 »
So....DLC for MechWarrior 5: Clans, but so Civil War Era thing will its own game?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #62 on: 05 October 2023, 21:45:29 »
Ending with the Jaguar Annihilation could be a fun way to lead the player on two different paths:  Go with Paul Moon to the Inner Sphere, or go bandit caste with Russou Howell!
Actually a ****** cool idea. I'm not interested in the Jags, but that would be a boss ending.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #63 on: 08 October 2023, 14:35:40 »
Civil War, as in Fed Com, quiaff ? If so, was not MW4: Mercs that ?

Should be jihad, a game that like the fiction really shook things up, like Clan and IS allying, RoTs early history ?

I'd prefer MechWarrior 6 be a Jihad game - that's not an era any of the past games explored.

Or we can really shake things up and go for the Wars of Reaving  :evil:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #64 on: 08 October 2023, 16:11:15 »
Just remember the Civil War is the name of the Era itself.  From 3058 to 3063, entire Inner Sphere and Clans no less were fighting wars between themselves in some fashion.  St. Ives v Capellans, Refusal War, ending with Clan's Wolf's split, and ultimately FedCom Civil War.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #65 on: 08 October 2023, 22:46:18 »
Mech 4 mercs was fed com. Mech 2 was Clan, need something new

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #66 on: 09 October 2023, 21:40:08 »
Mech 4 mercs was fed com. Mech 2 was Clan, need something new
I totally agreed, but too many people are wanting relive the past than move on to something new these days.

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #67 on: 10 October 2023, 01:24:32 »
I hope the game is good. Unreal 5 is a solid engine, and hopefully the code work on this game will be better than the spaghetti mess that MW:O was rumored to be.

With that said, this feels like a nostalgia cash-in. The teaser was clearly heavily trying to evoke the MW:2 box art, and the settings of the most recent MW PC games have clearly been a rehash of the greatest hits of the franchise.

Mechwarrior 2 was the equivalent of a AAA PC game before that was really a thing. It pushed the available hardware to the limit, and despite its clunkiness you could really imagine that it was a sim game of some powerful, futuristic war machine. It was a trendsetter, and the way you can tell it was a trendsetter is that there were a bunch of clones and near clones like Heavy Gear, Earthsiege, and several other more obscure titles.

They're not going to re-capture the magic by making a song that uses exactly the same chords.

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #68 on: 10 October 2023, 10:17:31 »
It's not wrong to lean on nostalgia a bit with marketing. People like familiarity more often than not. There's still a lot of us who had our beginnings with MechWarrior 2 today, whether we're talking the base game, GBL, or even 2: Mercenaries, which this is, effectively, a Clan perspective of roughly the same time period. The other two MW2 games were toward the end of the Clan Invasion era, well after the invasion itself had been halted; Wrangler is actually incorrect on an official basis, as the Civil War era was quite literally defined by the FedCom Civil War's beginning, spanning from 3062-3067. Maybe these eras were defined differently in the pre-CGL years, I dunno; at the time, all I had was video games, and was ignorant of the greater universe the video games took place in. But that's how they're defined today.

I'm sure the game will be really good; provided they don't repeat the mistakes of 5: Mercenaries on launch, it might even make a great first impression. It'd be nice if we got current-era (or at least directly-preceeding-era) video games again, but it could be some time before it actually happens. For now, let's at least try to enjoy exploring the Clan Invasion one more time, from a perspective not seen in the video games to date. lol
« Last Edit: 10 October 2023, 12:16:06 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 10 October 2023, 10:35:05 »
i am going to get  a lot of flak but i wish the ability to set way points like in mw 3 for lance mates was the best feature...it let you set up pincer attacks or avoid enemy emplacements when you split your forces...after 4th game it was just straight up shooter
i wish 4th and 5th games kept that
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 10 October 2023, 11:48:49 »
Why would that get you a lot of flak? I wish that ability came back, myself. I never played MW3 – not for lack of trying – but that ability is tactically useful IMHO, and I would love to have it. As it is in the current set of games, best one can do is get friends in the other seats and do it that way. When playing co-op in MW5Mercs, I'm frequently running off on my own to deal with the enemy artillery while everyone else is working together completing other objectives, rejoining the fight after I've dealt with the artillery emplacements I'm made aware of.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2023, 11:50:38 by Akamia »

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 11 October 2023, 10:35:12 »
i am going to get  a lot of flak but i wish the ability to set way points like in mw 3 for lance mates was the best feature...it let you set up pincer attacks or avoid enemy emplacements when you split your forces...after 4th game it was just straight up shooter
i wish 4th and 5th games kept that

I think that goes back to Mechwarrior 2. I'd have to check, because I rarely used it.
My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #72 on: 11 October 2023, 17:31:43 »
I'm sure the game will be really good; provided they don't repeat the mistakes of 5: Mercenaries on launch, it might even make a great first impression.

That's where I think things will be night and day, by opting for "More the Same" with slight twists and a modern engine they are possible aiming far far lower that MW5:Mercs was back in 2016 but will end up with a more manageable result, and again why PGI is honest that its MW5 rather than MW6. The only screw-up to avoid is the EGS exclusivity pitfall which seems to be avoided by EG7 wanting it on consoles, hopefully day one.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #73 on: 12 October 2023, 05:43:44 »
At least their still trying make a BattleTech game, 80% HBS's staff.  This sort put fork in any good games from Paradox, since their being stubborn about sharing revenue from a BattleTech game with Microsoft.  They gave negative reaction when one the staff tried to pitch Battletech 2.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 12 October 2023, 08:43:14 »
Did you reply to the correct thread, Wrangler? This is the MW5Clans thread; HBS and Paradox is the next one down – as of this post, at least. lol

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #75 on: 12 October 2023, 12:20:07 »
Well, I'm just comparing the two.  PGI is still alive and their host company hasn't made bad calls about not working with MS to make more BattleTech games.

Part me wishes they'd had the resources to hire some of the HBS, perhaps go on their own making their own Battletech style game.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 13 October 2023, 18:12:16 »
I'd prefer MechWarrior 6 be a Jihad game - that's not an era any of the past games explored.

Or we can really shake things up and go for the Wars of Reaving  :evil:

I was wondering about that. Is it even possible to license a Jihad- or Dark Age-era software game? Microsoft's 1999 purchase of FASA Interactive couldn't possibly include the rights to characters like Devlin Stone or events like the Wars of Reaving, which were written later under the aegis of WizKids and Topps. But Topps (or now Fanatics) wouldn't own the software game rights free and clear either, since it's built on all the pre-1999 material that Microsoft does control. You'd have to negotiate with both companies.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #77 on: 14 October 2023, 10:59:53 »
I was wondering about that. Is it even possible to license a Jihad- or Dark Age-era software game? Microsoft's 1999 purchase of FASA Interactive couldn't possibly include the rights to characters like Devlin Stone or events like the Wars of Reaving, which were written later under the aegis of WizKids and Topps. But Topps (or now Fanatics) wouldn't own the software game rights free and clear either, since it's built on all the pre-1999 material that Microsoft does control. You'd have to negotiate with both companies.
I have not heard license was restricted from diving into other eras, I don't think they are.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 22 October 2023, 07:29:28 »
for hell of it i re installed MW5 but added mods from nexus mods
one mod pack had something interesting for mechs... a mech pack that has ...mackie for one and LAM lotus mech and had parts for lam on sale on some planets...this got me playing more just to see if there are any more LAMs besides lotus and yes you can salvage one if you are lucky. btw when iotus shifts to flight mode its almost impossible to hit had spent lot of time just to try to bring it down
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #79 on: 22 October 2023, 17:26:18 »
Do the LAMs work??

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 23 October 2023, 07:12:55 »
Do the LAMs work??
had not salvaged one yet but parts are in there so i guess they do work and i seen only lotus so far
pack is called yet another clan invasion
and
and another one is repair bays...
one of those 2 has the lams

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 23 October 2023, 07:56:38 »
I have not heard license was restricted from diving into other eras, I don't think they are.

They're not restricted to eras.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #82 on: 23 October 2023, 08:07:07 »
They're not restricted to eras.

Thank you, Sir!

had not salvaged one yet but parts are in there so i guess they do work and i seen only lotus so far
and
and another one is repair bays...
one of those 2 has the lams
What is the name of this Mod???  I'd like to try it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 23 October 2023, 10:33:39 »
Thank you, Sir!
What is the name of this Mod???  I'd like to try it.
find it on nexus mods

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 23 October 2023, 10:39:59 »
ohh spotted that lam lotus in draconis combine in northern part close to border with steiner

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #85 on: 23 October 2023, 19:46:16 »
The MW5 Clan Invasion mod is a ton of fun!  I ran it with the Venters-style heavy omnis.  I haven't been on their Discord lately, but I can't help but wonder if news of MW5: Clans is going to make them quit developing the mod further...

That and the new patches and DLC frustrate modders every time since their stuff usually breaks with game updates.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #86 on: 23 October 2023, 20:19:37 »
find it on nexus mods
I'm not able find that one.  I found older one name yetanotherModlist

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #87 on: 15 November 2023, 15:34:04 »
I just wanna know if there will be any crossover with Mercs at all.  Shared resources or some bonus if you own both.  Because I would like to buy it for steam, but have mercs and all the dlc on Epic.  So yeah, gonna be annoying if it does share something.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #88 on: 16 November 2023, 08:42:46 »
We'll have to wait.  I  bought Mercs through steam.  There so many mods you can make game new again or play with friends.

I do hope it's does have capability, though from what I read. The Clans game was or is being built on the bones/code of MW5: Mercs.   I certainly hope it is.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 24 November 2023, 09:42:09 »
I just wanna know if there will be any crossover with Mercs at all.  Shared resources or some bonus if you own both.  Because I would like to buy it for steam, but have mercs and all the dlc on Epic.  So yeah, gonna be annoying if it does share something.

It'll be a new standalone game. It won't have anything to do with Mercs. You'll play as Clans and they're using a new engine, so expect significant deviation from Mercs.

Register