Author Topic: Lance Packs question  (Read 4513 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Lance Packs question
« on: 27 July 2011, 10:38:31 »
I have a question about the lance packs based on the intro box set mechs.  I understand that many of the models are simplified for easier assembly.  Other than that, are they essentially the same as the normal metals?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Lance Packs question
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2011, 10:40:25 »
There are no lance packs based on the intro box set 'Mechs. There are multiple lance packs, but they have nothing to do with the intro box.
The metal 'Mechs are far more detailed than the intro box set 'Mechs, though. They are more on the level of the two premium quality minis.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2011, 10:46:33 »
There are no lance packs based on the intro box set 'Mechs. There are multiple lance packs, but they have nothing to do with the intro box.
The metal 'Mechs are far more detailed than the intro box set 'Mechs, though. They are more on the level of the two premium quality minis.

I think you've misunderstood what I'm talking about.

I'm referring to these

There are six, and if have all of them, it constitutes the same mechs found in the intro box set... but that really had nothing to do with my original question (sorry for the confusion)

I wanted to know if there was a difference in quality between these mechs and their normal metal counterparts.

« Last Edit: 27 July 2011, 10:51:41 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2011, 10:53:57 »
Yes they have those lance packs.  Some of them are one or two piece units in static poses to make for easier assembly and some have seperate arms and legs.  I believe they are the same molds used for teh ones you can buy individually from IWM so they will be just as high quality as if you bought them individually.  I have gotten seveal Lance packs and intend to collect the rest at some point.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2011, 11:04:34 »
I think you've misunderstood what I'm talking about.

I'm referring to these

There are six, and if have all of them, it constitutes the same mechs found in the intro box set... but that really had nothing to do with my original question (sorry for the confusion)

I wanted to know if there was a difference in quality between these mechs and their normal metal counterparts.

Ah, okay. Yes, those are the same as the standard minis you can buy from IWM separately.
It is possible though, that some of them are in the archives if you buy them separately or that they are older versions, in cases were resculpts or newer variants exist.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2011, 11:17:48 »
They are not (always) the same as the individual mechs.
The description for the Assault Lance on IWM's website says:
"Assault Lance Pack utilizing 1 pc or easy assembly Mechs from the old Starter Sets."
The Atlas Rescuplt meanwhile is quite a few pieces.

The Banshee in the Fire Lance is very different from the individual Banshee.
The Catapult is another that is very different.

The generic lance packs match the Intro Box Set for poses/pieces/size.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2011, 11:18:34 »
Most are one piece, or two in a couple of cases like the Cicada. It's worth noting that the Panther in those sets is the only one available in a standing pose, and not in a jumping pose- which as far as I'm concerned makes that pack worth it's weight in gold. Getting three other good minis in there is just a bonus.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 11:22:12 »
They are not (always) the same as the individual mechs.
The description for the Assault Lance on IWM's website says:
"Assault Lance Pack utilizing 1 pc or easy assembly Mechs from the old Starter Sets."
The Atlas Rescuplt meanwhile is quite a few pieces.

There is a single piece Atlas, though. I have one, bought it separately.

The Banshee in the Fire Lance is very different from the individual Banshee.
The Catapult is another that is very different.

Do you have pictures for comparison?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2011, 11:29:31 »
There is a single piece Atlas, though. I have one, bought it separately.

Do you have pictures for comparison?

It would appear that the Banshee in the packs in the BNC-3E only, where the individual mini is has some other options
The pack Catapult is the CPLT-C1.  The individual is the CPLT-C4

vs

and

Dr Lucky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2011, 11:43:22 »
The other thing about these lance packs is that all the miniatures are molded onto the same partial-hex bases as the plastics in the starter set.  You've got to do a bit of cutting if you want to put them on normal hex bases.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2011, 11:55:12 »
It would appear that the Banshee in the packs in the BNC-3E only, where the individual mini is has some other options

That's actually quite nice, since the 3E would be externally identical to the 3Er I designed for TRO 3085. Will have to look into this one :)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2011, 12:18:06 »
For the Banshee, this is the only one currently listed individually on IWM website, and even that is archived.
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=16_44_190&products_id=1992
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2011, 12:23:30 »
The lance packs that you are talking about are the mech that the into box set (not the loki or thor) plastic mech are based on. They are one or two peice mech that are not sold separately only in lance packs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2011, 12:26:43 »
The lance packs that you are talking about are the mech that the into box set (not the loki or thor) plastic mech are based on. They are one or two peice mech that are not sold separately only in lance packs.

That actually makes a lot of sense... I had the Chicken --> Egg scenario flip-flopped

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2011, 13:43:07 »
For the Banshee, this is the only one currently listed individually on IWM website, and even that is archived.
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=16_44_190&products_id=1992

Worst case (and I don't really see it as bad), I have to buy the whole lance pack. Except for the Dervish I don't own any of the 'Mechs in it - and I can live with a second Dervish in my collection ;)

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2011, 13:18:15 »
I have a question about the lance packs based on the intro box set mechs.  I understand that many of the models are simplified for easier assembly.  Other than that, are they essentially the same as the normal metals?

I have all of these lance packs---some I have multiple sets of (like the one with the Panther).

They look the same as the plastic miniatures in the box set but with the same quality of detail as individually-purchased metal mechs.  Some are identical to the individually-purchasable metal miniatures (like the Hunchback and the old Banshee which doesn't appear to be on the IWM website any longer).  I think the plastic mechs are based on these metal mech molds.

The Cicada comes in three parts.  Some have two parts (like the Spider and Dragon).  But for the most part, they're highly detailed, single piece, static pose miniatures.  Also, they tend to be the older variants of what you can get individually (such as the Atl*s and Catapult).  And they come on their own mini-hex base (which I think looks terrible and I invariably cut away).

As for the Banshee, it looks identical to the old (missing) Banshee that used to be sold by IWM, except the IWM individually-sold Banshee came with arm lasers, a shoulder missile launcher, and an arm PPC for you to optionally build out a variant---the lance pack version of the Banshee is a single-piece standard Banshee model.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2011, 13:23:28 by HikageMaru »

Technoviking

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2011, 12:42:53 »
My local FLGS is getting into Battletech again after a long Hiatus.   [rockon]  They must have spent money to get the Lance Packs.  If they had gotten Sword and Dragon, or anything else, I would have bought.  But there they were, 5 different packs, on the wall, each modeling 4 mechs that I have in the Intro box.  I'm not sure if gaming stores have a "representative" with IWM or catalyst, or if they just click boxes online, but with new firebases, I'd steer them to stock the Box Set, then OTHER mech packs that aren't in the set.    Their blister packs were gratefully different.

Register