Author Topic: Silver Hawk Irregulars Falcons - Nonpurple FWLM  (Read 2962 times)

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
Silver Hawk Irregulars Falcons - Nonpurple FWLM
« on: 07 July 2020, 14:58:07 »
I've been painting up the unit I'm running in my local campaign, the Silver Hawk Irregulars. I've enjoyed painting these because of the varied color scheme, with each collection of worlds having it's own scheme (And Shiloh). It also helps that the schemes are each pretty simple individually. The project is currently on hold until KS minis arrive but I've gotten just about finished with what I've painted up so far.

First up, Amity and Concord, with the Gold and Black
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Re: Silver Hawk Irregulars Falcons - Nonpurple FWLM
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2020, 15:09:15 »
A very striking combination of colors! I like it.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2020, 15:09:41 »
Callison and Marcus next, I accidentally flipped the Griffin's Purple side and just decided to keep going rather than strip the paint and restart the model. The Cicada got lost on the way to the photo shoot and it's Purple side got flipped too.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 18:13:39 by vaderi »

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2020, 15:10:54 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2020, 15:13:09 »
Bondurant and Danais get either one of the more boring or more interesting schemes, I'm still not sure, but I do really like the effect on the Martian Quadpod(Tarantula).

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2020, 15:19:30 »
And Shiloh knows what it did. It should be noted, my head cannon has the Shiloh pilots in the Irregulars deliberately off color one aspect of the scheme to piss off the Shiloh government. The base Color Scheme is quartered tan and orange, I don't intend to fully use it on any single mech.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2020, 16:30:47 »
 :thumbsup:

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2020, 16:58:15 »
Nice! That black and gold is a an especially spiffy combo.

I did some mechs in the Callison/Marcus variant a few years back. In general, they are utter abominations with the paint so thick it looks like glue and little to no shading. However, I did get one thing right. I base coated the entire mechs in a silver metallic paint, and then I took an old bottle of candy purple enamel paint (Old-school testors oil-based paints baby!) and used that on the purple side. The translucent purple over the silver metallic actually worked very nicely! That was also the last time I used any of my old enamel paints. Oil-based paint is a pain!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2020, 20:15:52 »
I really like the Locust and Tarantula!

The Commando QUICKDRAW is asking to have you darken the blue and make it a single arrow symbol ... I shall name in Aang! (sp)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 09:51:09 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2020, 08:49:28 »
I really like the Locust and Tarantula!

The Commando is asking to have you darken the blue and make it a single arrow symbol ... I shall name in Aang! (sp)

Thanks,

As for the Quickdraw :P Yeah, the blue needs a bit of darkening, and some pearling but I'm still not confident in my pearling ability so I've been focusing on other mechs. The Quickidraw and the Jenner are from the 2007 starter box plastic models and are kinda crap to work with.

Nice! That black and gold is a an especially spiffy combo.

I did some mechs in the Callison/Marcus variant a few years back. In general, they are utter abominations with the paint so thick it looks like glue and little to no shading. However, I did get one thing right. I base coated the entire mechs in a silver metallic paint, and then I took an old bottle of candy purple enamel paint (Old-school testors oil-based paints baby!) and used that on the purple side. The translucent purple over the silver metallic actually worked very nicely! That was also the last time I used any of my old enamel paints. Oil-based paint is a pain!

Thanks! Yeah, I've got a lance of mechs I painted in testors  *shudders* I'm glad you had a testor's paint work for you.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 08:53:00 by vaderi »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2020, 09:50:48 »

As for the Quickdraw :P Yeah

HAH! thanks ... totally missed that.  That the set with a ton of plastic minis?  I had an issue with one trebuchet, contacted customer service and they sent me a whole new bag! ... They're more like old school army men than minis, but talk about having a ton of some basics.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2020, 11:08:58 »
HAH! thanks ... totally missed that.  That the set with a ton of plastic minis?  I had an issue with one trebuchet, contacted customer service and they sent me a whole new bag! ... They're more like old school army men than minis, but talk about having a ton of some basics.

yup, it's the one with 24 plastic minis. Oof yeah they are more like Army Men than anything else. It was really helpful to have so many starting off, I wish I'd been old enough to think of contacting customer service when I got the set, I had several fall apart and the Awesome came with one arm held on by what looks like Wood Glue.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2020, 14:44:21 »
Callison and Marcus next, I accidentally flipped the Griffin's Purple side and just decided to keep going rather than strip the paint and restart the model.

The 'Jenner' is . . . a Cicada?  and you have taken a butt shot?  If so it means it matches that Griffin in reversal.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2020, 15:30:39 »
The 'Jenner' is . . . a Cicada?  and you have taken a butt shot?  If so it means it matches that Griffin in reversal.

HAHAHA ... glad I wasn't drinking anything!  Perfect storm of 'Doh'!

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2020, 18:00:19 »

:-[

whoops, dang Cicada. ah well

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2020, 18:36:30 »
Cheer up! your paint jobs are great!

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2020, 21:02:33 »
Cheer up! your paint jobs are great!

Thanks!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2020, 09:37:02 »
I was just making sure I was seeing the right thing, lol.  But like I said, the job should match the Griffin.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2020, 11:09:25 »
Looks great, dude! Really like the Tarantula, and your take on the Shiloh scheme totally makes sense and adds to the general chaos of the Irregulars in general.

Have you thought of adding a few metallic highlights here and there?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2020, 11:16:42 »
I was just making sure I was seeing the right thing, lol.  But like I said, the job should match the Griffin.

I can never figure out which way a Cicada is supposed to be facing, the legs don't even help  xp.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2020, 11:24:55 »
Pointy end towards other guy! . . . but yeah, I can see that view though HBS's game has fixed that in my mind.
Colt Ward

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2020, 04:48:41 »
Very Sweet! :thumbsup:

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2020, 15:04:49 »
Can you give me a quick rundown of your steps for painting the black and gold scheme and what paint you used? I keep coming back to look at it, and I really like how it turned out. It looks like you primed white or grey, but did you just slap the gold straight on, or did you do a base color underneath it? Any washes or other shading/highlighting, is are they just as-is after the base coat? The black seems fairly straightforward, but did you have any trouble keeping the black or gold from spreading/seeping onto the adjacent parts? It looks like you managed a pretty darn clean separation between the two.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2020, 07:20:26 »
Can you give me a quick rundown of your steps for painting the black and gold scheme and what paint you used? ...

As you guessed, I primed it White, using Citadel Colour Grey Seer (the Contrast Paint Primer) then I painted the black (Vallejo Black) straight on around the torso. Next I applied a thin coat of Formula P3 Rhulic Gold for the torso, followed by a not diluted but almost dry brushed layer of Vallejo Old Gold. The Cockpit was just a flat Vallejo Deep Sky Blue. I did a wash over the black to finish the whole thing, I used Master Series Paints Stone Wash to finish it off.

I did have some difficulty in keeping colors separated in the Awesome's case(the lower torso and the arm shields) but my usual solution for these problems is another coat of paint, usually one with little to no water, which for me tends to make the paint much easier to control. Black covers up Gold much easier so by painting the Black first I could use a more diluted Black coat to cover up the Gold that seeped off of the torso.

I didn't do any highlighting because I find metallic colors difficult to highlight without losing the metallic pigments and I was worried highlighting the Black while not highlighting the Gold would have drawn the eye. That being said, the photos added a good set of highlights for me  ;D

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #24 on: 08 April 2021, 15:07:15 »
More Silver Hawks!

They don't even have unified cockpit colors :D

The Orange and Gold color scheme was difficult to make work. I found that I needed a more vibrant Orange than Gold. It's a color scheme that I don't think I love even after getting it to a point that I'm satisfied with, but I think I can still improve it more.

It definitely puts another jarring note in the assembled company photo :P

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2021, 16:32:43 »
Great work! I did think about doing the Irregulars, but chickened out. Purple chicken? :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2021, 16:57:33 »
wow, those look amazing.

Might be the lighting, but the paint job on the PHX makes it look like it's partially made out of those translucent lego pieces.  Awesome looking mind you.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2021, 19:27:45 »
Great work! I did think about doing the Irregulars, but chickened out. Purple chicken? :)

;D Thanks!

wow, those look amazing.

Might be the lighting, but the paint job on the PHX makes it look like it's partially made out of those translucent lego pieces.  Awesome looking mind you.

Thanks! I ended up with going with Vallejo Florescent Orange, which does end up looking a bit translucent.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #28 on: 08 April 2021, 19:30:56 »
These three are the latest mechs I've finished* for the Silver Hawks.

*The Neanderthal keeps poking me in the eye with bits that need touching up.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 April 2021, 20:09:18 »
I'd hate to be the techs to work on these guys after any sortie ... b/c you know that the pilots want their rides to be all "shiny" and what not.