Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 163171 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #120 on: 23 August 2017, 08:54:14 »
Is Princess Principle streaming in US?
Amazon Anime Strike

I'll also agree with how well Princess Principal is doing. It has a Steampuk-ish Cold-war spy thing going on.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2017, 08:56:56 by Tymers Realm »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #121 on: 23 August 2017, 12:46:04 »
Amazon Anime Strike

I'll also agree with how well Princess Principal is doing. It has a Steampuk-ish Cold-war spy thing going on.
I add this one to my shopping list.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #122 on: 23 August 2017, 16:10:03 »
Umm Matti...

Anime Strike is Amazon US' additional-fee-on-top-of-Prime Streaming service.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #123 on: 24 August 2017, 00:40:38 »
yeah I had to sign up for the trial to watch Macross... need to binge watch as much as possible before the bill comes due. Don't need to pay for yet another service... If I wanted that I would go with Hulu since its cheaper.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #124 on: 24 August 2017, 04:03:45 »
And somehow I was wrong. Looked over all the anime and found Macross but it seems it part of Prime and not Anime Strike... I guess not I am going to have a second trial...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #125 on: 24 August 2017, 12:46:15 »
Umm Matti...

Anime Strike is Amazon US' additional-fee-on-top-of-Prime Streaming service.
Does that mean there won't be disc release?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: 24 August 2017, 14:09:07 »
Does that mean there won't be disc release?

If this ANN article from June is accurate, Sentai Filmworks has the physical release. When it'll be released is anyone's guess right now. Considering it's still airing.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 24 August 2017, 15:03:11 »
My discussion with my fiancee about Princess Principal was this:

"It's steampunk spy noir-"

"You had me at steampunk."

Our fear, that it was moemoe bait with cutesu girls and flashy visuals overlaying an empty box, were relieved rather quickly. Yes, it has the girls, but it also has an interesting storyline, and though we've only watched up to ep2 the hook is well and truly planted.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #128 on: 24 August 2017, 15:29:23 »
If this ANN article from June is accurate, Sentai Filmworks has the physical release. When it'll be released is anyone's guess right now. Considering it's still airing.

Probably two years if they do an English dub.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 25 August 2017, 05:53:52 »
Looks like first Build Fighter's episode of Counterattack Start series has been released just after the preview for the series.
I'm taken back by going back to the old crew, i guess it was more popular choice...

Animation remains very good.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #130 on: 25 August 2017, 07:44:22 »
Looks like first Build Fighter's episode of Counterattack Start series has been released just after the preview for the series.
I'm taken back by going back to the old crew, i guess it was more popular choice...

Animation remains very good.

What is even more interesting is that a English Dub for the first Build Fighters series, as well as BF Try, are being released on the Gundam.Info's Youtube channel. As of this post, the first five episodes for both shows are up.
Also: Playlist link for the GM's Counterattack & Battlogue vids.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #131 on: 25 August 2017, 09:34:55 »
On different franchise news, Art Exhibition has been held for Heroes of the Galactic Heroes which celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series.

Again it's mentioned that new anime project is works with Production I.G. still working on it and has recast the voice actors from the original series to voice the lead roles.

I'm glad their still going to make it, though i wonder when it will come out and how many episodes it will entail.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #132 on: 25 August 2017, 16:08:28 »
My discussion with my fiancee about Princess Principal was this:

"It's steampunk spy noir-"

"You had me at steampunk."

Our fear, that it was moemoe bait with cutesu girls and flashy visuals overlaying an empty box, were relieved rather quickly. Yes, it has the girls, but it also has an interesting storyline, and though we've only watched up to ep2 the hook is well and truly planted.

My wife and I enjoy the show very much.

Make sure you look for the Case Number at the beginning of each show so you get the chronological order.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 25 August 2017, 23:41:13 »
Yeah... watching the second episode was very confusing at first. It is rare a show goes out of order like that. Still enjoyed it, hope to watch more but trial is only 7 days so doubt I will get more than 1 additional episode in :(

kato

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: 26 August 2017, 04:04:33 »
Kemono Friends Episode 1 passed 10 million views on NicoNico Douga two days ago (currently at 10.16 million).

Since August 1st it is the most watched anime episode on NicoNico, going past Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka? / Is the order a Rabbit? Episode 1 (currently at 9.57 million).

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #135 on: 26 August 2017, 13:42:30 »
I'm sure there are a lot more than that, but my point is simple: Give the audience a chance to feel HOW the show is, rather than concern yourself too much about whether they remember which characters are named what.That way they can figure out if they like the show without spending a bunch of time watching it. At least in my opinion.
It can be frakked up quite easily. Just look at Firefly.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: 26 August 2017, 15:52:33 »
It can be frakked up quite easily. Just look at Firefly.

Yea, but that was a Network call, not the intention.
As to PP's running. the early out of sync order kinda fits with the overall theme.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #137 on: 27 August 2017, 15:32:36 »
Given my leanings towards Mecha/action/comedy/fantasy/scifi  i like Knights and Magic the most this quarterly season.

Again story cruising along at warp speed, but it's still very enjoyable as our main hero's hobby of making gunpla *cough* giant "robotic" Knights continues and he develop his line of newly made Knights his world have never seen before that beats tar out of enemy monsters.  He soon learns secret making the engines makes these titans of crystal and steel works.  There isn't been any sign of bad guy lately So i guess we'll run into it when episode 10-11 comes out i hope.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #138 on: 27 August 2017, 15:54:47 »
Anybody got anything their looking forward to for Fall 2017?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #139 on: 27 August 2017, 21:05:50 »

Besides The Ancient Magus' Bride?
I'm also interested in Land of Lustrous (Hōseki no Kuni). I had looked at a few of the Manga's early chapters. It seems interesting. Here's a link to the most recent ANN article on the series.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #140 on: 28 August 2017, 01:18:57 »
My most looked for for a future season is the next KONOSUBA. I had hope Knight's and Magic would have gone at a slower pace, from what I read in the LN a lot of decent material was left out. The next section of the story really does need its own season to tell it properly, maybe two. Oh well, at least we get to watch Ernesti's creation stomp around in all its glory (though granted I forgot to watch todays episode so no idea how far it got).

kato

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 28 August 2017, 13:16:23 »
Himouto Umaru-chan R
Netojuu no Susume
Mahou Tsukai no Yome
Kino no Tabi
WUG III
Shokugeki no Souma S3
Time Bokan S2
Yuuki Yuuna S2

Roughly in that order, and with Netojuu no Susume the only really "new" thing in there.

Though that list is only that short because the more interesting stuff announced for next season (e.g. Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory, Yama no Susume S3 or Lostorage conflated WIXOSS) has all been postponed to 2018.

Robomasters (preview, japanese version) might be interesting if they can pull it off staying on a character focus instead of too blatantly advertising their product. Probably will be more of a miss though. Studio is Gonzo, staff is mostly second- and third-stringers - in fact, the only full series the director and the series composer have done before was Jitsu wa watashi wa. The only staff member of note is the mechanical designer, Watanabe Kouji of El-Hazard fame (his most recent work was as Chief Animation Director for Active Raid S1, his last mechanical design work on Nanoha Vivid).
« Last Edit: 28 August 2017, 13:22:22 by kato »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 30 August 2017, 01:49:10 »
Anyone check out the Netflix version of Death Note? Watched it tonight and enjoyed it. It was interesting to see how much of the background they changed while keeping to the original theme and flow of the story. At least as much as you can when converting from tv to movie. They even got a really scary guy to play the lovable monster. But as Weird Al says, hes scary in the mask, but scarier w/o it on. For those interested, do try to watch until the first death, it is... rather gory. Still need to finish the Japanese live action show... only a few episodes in on that one.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 30 August 2017, 09:17:45 »
Anyone check out the Netflix version of Death Note? Watched it tonight and enjoyed it. It was interesting to see how much of the background they changed while keeping to the original theme and flow of the story. At least as much as you can when converting from tv to movie. They even got a really scary guy to play the lovable monster. But as Weird Al says, hes scary in the mask, but scarier w/o it on. For those interested, do try to watch until the first death, it is... rather gory. Still need to finish the Japanese live action show... only a few episodes in on that one.
did not care for it the american vesion felt syrup sweet coated no suspense no drama just felt more like an action flick than war of to detectives or reapers game
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #144 on: 30 August 2017, 10:33:11 »
as much as i am not into chibi stuff i am bit hooked now on shorts aggressive retsuko
for some reason george carlin comes to mind when i watch it...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #146 on: 30 August 2017, 14:20:35 »
Past weekend at anime club meeting, we watched live-action version of Kiki's delivery service. It has some face-palm moments, but then again, I expect the anime to have that too. Haven't seen the anime, and maybe because of that I could enjoy (or at least tolerate) the live-action.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 30 August 2017, 14:36:13 »
Past weekend at anime club meeting, we watched live-action version of Kiki's delivery service. It has some face-palm moments, but then again, I expect the anime to have that too. Haven't seen the anime, and maybe because of that I could enjoy (or at least tolerate) the live-action.
tombo and hippo are the most cringe worthy parts...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #148 on: 30 August 2017, 15:22:08 »
did not care for it the american vesion felt syrup sweet coated no suspense no drama just felt more like an action flick than war of to detectives or reapers game
The movie was an 1 hour 40 minutes long. The anime was 37 episodes long. That's 100 minutes versus 800+ minutes so you are not going to get all of that detail. BTW, I loved Willem Defos as the voice of Ryuk. As to the syrup sweet comment, this was a movie about death and murder. There's nothing syrupy sweet about that crap.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2017, 15:24:38 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 30 August 2017, 20:24:46 »
Is that a Riflehammer I see?? :P