Author Topic: San Diego Battletech  (Read 49830 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: San Diego Alpha Strike Association
« Reply #30 on: 10 October 2018, 00:36:05 »
I saw a pretty cool warehouse terrain piece when I was over at the shop last, we could use that. Rim Worlds need to capture the warehouse in X turns, or destroy it. Destroying it is worth like...a quarter of the points.

Just my off-the-top.
Hey, that would fall in line with the whole Alarion raid idea.  I can write up a scenario with that as a basis.  Any other objective/bonus ideas for either side?  I would add an extra building/depot for the Rim Worlds to take out as a bonus option.  Or stick with the one objective, but give bonus points for getting back out with 'X' amount of units surviving.  Something similar for the SLDF, but in the reverse of course.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #31 on: 15 October 2018, 15:40:40 »
Well for a follow-up scenario. If Rim Worlds captures we can do a swap and Rim has to defend the convoy on its way outto the Dropship. If they fail or blow up the warehouse then I say a reprisal attack from the SLDF. Would be in order. That way both sides play offence and defense. Just a thought. I never liked single scenarios. People then have no care for self preservation and will fight in a state anyone would withdraw in that condition.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #32 on: 15 October 2018, 22:36:13 »
I think that is a great idea.  I agree with you that stand alone scenarios don't lend themselves much to self preservation.  That'll be fun to have a follow up.  I'll try and put something together before the week is over.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 19 October 2018, 07:43:28 »
So to improve the desire for self preservation maybe the 2nd scenario you get to add 25% or 50% of the points remaining at the end of the 1st scenario. Basically they both got reinforcements so to speak. Plays into the succession wars wipeing out all the resources by just repeatedly fighting till one side had nothing. Or use the points on support like tanks VTOLs arty infantry etc...not sure if everyone does combined arms or not.  Just some thoughts.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #34 on: 19 October 2018, 10:21:46 »
I was thinking something similar, borrowing from the Chaos system a bit.  Each side has a total force size of 'x', and then able to deploy a percentage of that force in each scenario.  I was also thinking no salvage between scenarios, but surviving damaged units would be repaired between scenarios.  I would reccomend upping the force size for both sides to a reinforced company, but still keep the PV at 500.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 19 October 2018, 10:25:53 by Valkerie »

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #35 on: 19 October 2018, 20:25:57 »
I like the square company idea, I may be tight on models that fit the era though. Good idea though.
"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #36 on: 19 October 2018, 20:30:55 »
Ah, I'm not worried.  A regular Archer or Orion can easily stand in for their more primitive versions.  And my Mad Cats kind of look like a Talos... ;)

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 19 October 2018, 21:45:55 »
Actually I'm looking and there are alot of options for that time period. Also are we just useing cannon mechs or will the RWR use customs? I figure SLDF are SOL on customs as they do homogenous units. I did some testing on Solaris Skunk Werks and it will generate AS cards.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #38 on: 19 October 2018, 22:24:27 »
I did some testing on Solaris Skunk Werks and it will generate AS cards.
Hmm, I'd be curious to know if Skunk Werks has the new point value update.  The MUL does now.

As for customs, I hadn't planned on it.  At least for me, there is usually enough canon material to satisfy my needs.  But if other folks want to, I have no objections.  As long as they aren't equipped with Ludicrous Speed or something to that effect. :P

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 20 October 2018, 12:14:18 »
I just checked SSW doesn't have the right PV everything else matches MUL.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #40 on: 22 October 2018, 16:57:38 »
Good day all.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  I've got the rough draft for the first scenario attached.  I feel like it is still missing something a little, so if anyone has ideas, please throw them out there. 

I'd also like to know what you would rather see as follow up to this one, a running fight with the RWA having to protect a cargo convoy of their ill-gotten goods, or the SLDF paying a return visit to the RWA units home base.  In either case, the scenario would use the surviving units from the first one.  Or if you have a totally different idea, share it as well.  As always, the goal is for a good game. :thumbsup:

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #41 on: 25 October 2018, 19:31:03 »
Looks shiny to me. I'm onboard.

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 27 October 2018, 21:17:02 »
I think the 2nd senario (which is the one I can make it to) should be based on the result of the first. If RWA takes the objective they have to hold it. If they bolw it up then they run... If they fail well the SLDF has the resources to punish those who poke the bear so to speak...actions like attacking someone usually ends with a reprisal attack...
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 27 October 2018, 21:59:31 »
I just checked SSW doesn't have the right PV everything else matches MUL.

SSW’s AS calculations have other calculation errors as well. And that was before errata that made it out of date (like the introduction of 0*).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #44 on: 28 October 2018, 00:09:46 »
I think the 2nd senario (which is the one I can make it to) should be based on the result of the first. If RWA takes the objective they have to hold it. If they bolw it up then they run... If they fail well the SLDF has the resources to punish those who poke the bear so to speak...actions like attacking someone usually ends with a reprisal attack...
That all sounds excellent to me.  I'll do a little rewrite to the first scenario with all this in mind.  Though I'm a little confused.  Are you unable to do November 11th now, or am I misreading that?  That was the date for the first scenario to be played.  No date for part two yet.

SSW’s AS calculations have other calculation errors as well. And that was before errata that made it out of date (like the introduction of 0*).
Thank you for that bit of info sir! :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #45 on: 31 October 2018, 10:08:21 »
Good morning all.  Did a little rewriting on the scenario.  Should be good to go now, and it sets the conditions for the second scenario depending on the outcome of first one.

So November 11th at Game Empire.  Figure we'll do the usual and start between 12:30 and 1:00 unless anyone needs that adjusted a bit.  Looking forward to a good game everyone! :thumbsup:

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 05 November 2018, 23:53:48 »
My bad I thought the first scenario was yesterday. I can make Sunday the 11th. Though I will not be at my best. I will have been up all night. But I must battletech.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #47 on: 07 November 2018, 01:14:28 »
No worries.  We'll be glad to have you aboard and we're pretty low key.  Giovanni, hope you can make it as well sir. :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #48 on: 10 November 2018, 23:10:59 »
Good evening everyone.  Looking forward to Star League vs. Rim Worlds tomorrow.  And to anyone who might be viewing this and would like to check out the action, here are the details:

Date: Sunday, November 11
Time: Some time between 12:30 and 1

I'll be there a little after 12 to claim a table and start setting up.  Safe travels all! :thumbsup:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #49 on: 11 November 2018, 01:05:09 »
At this point in my yeti flu, I suspect I'm more likely bound for urgent care than a gaming table, but we'll see how I'm feeling in the morning.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #50 on: 11 November 2018, 01:09:17 »
At this point in my yeti flu, I suspect I'm more likely bound for urgent care than a gaming table, but we'll see how I'm feeling in the morning.

Bummer man.  I've seen a few co-workers go down with this one already.  May fortune smile on you and it passes quickly. :)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #51 on: 12 November 2018, 17:00:35 »
Gentlemen, thanks for the game yesterday.  It was a blast! :thumbsup:

Attached are the remaining forces for each side after the battle.  All remaining units will be able to be deployed in the next scenario.  The weekend of December 15 is looking like the likely candidate for me, but that could still be iffy.  I'll know better once I have the schedule for work done.

This next one will play like the 'Hold the Line' scenario that is on page 164 of the AS Companion.  I think victory conditions should be point based for this one.  Points awarded for completed objectives, kills, and some bonus points for special conditions met.  And would you guys be up for what would be urban combat?  I'm seeing the map laid out with buildings and machinery across the whole thing to represent the space port.  Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks again guys and looking forward to the next one. 8)

« Last Edit: 13 November 2018, 23:35:30 by Valkerie »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #52 on: 15 November 2018, 23:16:44 »
It warms my heart to see BugMechs survive scenarios.

Of course, that just might be the muscle pain from all my coughing.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #53 on: 15 November 2018, 23:42:27 »
I had a great time thanks for letting me play. Next time I'll even attempt to use tactics...since all I did was to forward and shoot... :P the 15th should work for me. It's the weekend before I change ships. It was great meeting the two of you  I'll try to get my wife to play next time 
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #54 on: 19 November 2018, 17:38:00 »
It warms my heart to see BugMechs survive scenarios.

If you bring enough of them, a couple are bound to make it!  :D

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #55 on: 19 November 2018, 22:07:31 »
Howdy guys.  Wrote up the scenario for the next match.  Look it over and let me know what you think.  Especially the points section.  If anything seems unbalanced I'd like to know.

Should be interesting to see if the RWA can hold back the tide that is the SLDF... :-\

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #56 on: 21 November 2018, 17:28:07 »
Having turned in the work schedule, Saturday, December 15th is my best shot.  I could possibly do the following Saturday, but I know that's getting really close to Christmas, and I have a 7 AM staff meeting that day, but no work.  How's everyone else's schedules look?

Have a great Thanksgiving everybody!  Hope it's a good one! :thumbsup:

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #57 on: 24 November 2018, 02:59:02 »
Having turned in the work schedule, Saturday, December 15th is my best shot.  I could possibly do the following Saturday, but I know that's getting really close to Christmas, and I have a 7 AM staff meeting that day, but no work.  How's everyone else's schedules look?

I think that should be fine for me. Finals should be all wrapped up by then.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 24 November 2018, 15:55:09 »
Good for me too! ;D

Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #59 on: 24 November 2018, 21:56:38 »
Then December 15th it is.  This should prove to be a good session for strategic maneuvering.  Can the Rim Worlds hold the line, or will the SLDF just steamroll right past them? >:D

Register