Author Topic: Fallout 76: War Changed A Little  (Read 4854 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Fallout 76: War Changed A Little
« on: 12 November 2018, 09:56:59 »
I didn't get a chance to join the beta due to moving apartments, but I'm definitely all set for getting going this week. I figured a thread for sharing stories/tips and find fellow Battletechers in the West Virginia wasteland can't be a bad thing. So if you're doing this game and you want to join others, list your screen name and play method of choice (PC/Xbox/Playstation) here!

And just as importantly... look, this game isn't going to be for everyone. A lot of people aren't happy about this, and I get it- I promise, I do. If it isn't your cup of tea, cool- there's a thousand games to play instead. Let's leave this thread for the people who ARE playing it, and skip the "I'm just here to tell you how terrible this is because XYZ" posts. OK?

Anyway. For those interested in fire support and witty commentary in equal doses, I can be found on Xbox Live under the surprisingly clever name 'JadeHellbringer'.

See you in the wastes, folks. First Nuka is on me.  :thumbsup:
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Fallout 76: War Changed A Little
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2018, 10:11:08 »
Is it okay to raise technical concerns here?  I had a great time reading about the latest and greatest bugs on PC, which shouldn't affect the console launch much.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2018, 10:14:35 »
Is it okay to raise technical concerns here?  I had a great time reading about the latest and greatest bugs on PC, which shouldn't affect the console launch much.
1. Beta Bug causing the game to delete itself
2. A 54 GB Patch on the 1st day roll out for the base game (which is 45 gb itself)
3. Beta Players can't uninstall their beta copies without a purchase
4. Pre-Orders arriving late/delayed.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2018, 10:25:12 »
1. Beta Bug causing the game to delete itself
2. A 54 GB Patch on the 1st day roll out for the base game (which is 45 gb itself)
3. Beta Players can't uninstall their beta copies without a purchase
4. Pre-Orders arriving late/delayed.

My personal favorite was the "physics is linked to framerate", so editing the .ini to force framerate to 120 made you faster than most ground vehicles. :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2018, 11:09:55 »
My personal favorite was the "physics is linked to framerate", so editing the .ini to force framerate to 120 made you faster than most ground vehicles. :D
And Bethesda's response was to force lock it to 60 or 63 fps. SidAlpha has some interesting comments about that...

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2018, 11:11:30 »
Question: Does it even have an offline mode? Or do you have to play it online?

If it's the second, then I'll have to wait until I get a better internet connection. 90kb/s down and 20 kb/s up is not conducive to online gaming.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2018, 11:47:53 »
Question: Does it even have an offline mode? Or do you have to play it online?

If it's the second, then I'll have to wait until I get a better internet connection. 90kb/s down and 20 kb/s up is not conducive to online gaming.
See #2 of the 4 issues.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2018, 23:31:15 »
Okay, I'm actually finding the storyline more engaging than I'd first imagined.

And why is my .308 hunting rifle easier to find ammo for than my 10mm pistol?  That's like...such a huge culture shock.  :)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2018, 03:02:55 »
PC player under the name Deadborder (What a surprise). Definitely would love to hang out with more BT folks. I was about to start a thread about this myself

So far, I am loving it. The game is just shootery enough that I can get by with my horrible reflexes and coordination and have fun in a fight. But mostly I just love the exploration and building stuff. My life goal is to get an Excavator power armour and a minigun and declare it to be an Industrial MOD. Bonus points if I can paint part of it blue.

Personally though I am loving the world and the environmental storytelling. It's surprisingly involved for a world with no living people
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2018, 11:21:37 »
pc player, and I will have to get back on my char name.  although I think my character is Dalivinjah Foxfire in game.

I created the char in beta, and right now my CAMP is near the food processing factory, I logged in yesterday and my 1 turret was getting shredded by level 3ish scorched. 

the great news is there is a little booby-trapped building with a weapon workbench and a power armor workbench that when I logged in yesterday. had a power armor frame and 2 pieces of I want to say T45b armor on the frame.  can't actually use the armor sections because they are level 30 or so, and I am ~level 10 but hey I now have a power armor frame....

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2018, 14:23:58 »
So equipment is level-locked?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2018, 14:24:43 »
So equipment is level-locked?
ya a lot is
edit
ok I was misremembering my level, I was only level 8, I am level 9 now.
I have been looting higher level equipment, so I had a level 1 pipe bolt pistol then I Looted a level 5 version of the same weapon.  I also have a level 10 short hunting rifle that I cannot currently use.

but the 10mm pistol was level 5 locked as the minimum level that I have found so far.

one strategy I have found is that because of the sheer weight that stuff takes up and limited storage, I pick 1 of a weapon like a level 1 or level 5 bolt action pipe pistol, keep the one you use repaired to say ~75% or more and scrap any other ones of that weapon that you get asap, because as you scrap them you tend to learn mods and upgrades. (it also helps keep your inventory under control)
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 19:49:09 by guardiandashi »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2018, 14:28:51 »
So stuff keeps happening when you're not playing.  Does that mean that you can log in and find that someone or something has wrecked your base and stolen your stuff?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2018, 15:20:56 »
So stuff keeps happening when you're not playing.  Does that mean that you can log in and find that someone or something has wrecked your base and stolen your stuff?

No. Your base despawns when you log out

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2018, 17:27:28 »
ya a lot is

Not that it's a real hassle.  I mean, I don't have near enough ammo for my .50 cal HMG to use it, so the fact that it requires me to be level 25 doesn't bother me.   :D

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2018, 21:48:16 »
ok so I was looking
I had a lvl 1 piper revolver pistol and it did 27 damage
the level 5 version all stats were the same except it did 31 damage

so higher level weapons do ramp up in damage.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2018, 00:42:10 »
How do stats, skills, and perks compare to previous games?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2018, 02:17:23 »
at level 1 your SPECIAL is all 1's
each time you level up until I believe level 50 you get 1 point to apply to your Special (attributes)
for each when you level up you also get 1 perk card based on the attribute you raise (that you pick from 4 cards) and at various points you also get a card pack of 4 or 5 perk cards.

you can "slot" a number of perk point equal to the special trait so for example lockpicking comes in 3 ranks and is a perception perk at level 3 lockpicking you can attempt to crack any safe or lock in the game. but it would require a minimum of 3 in the linked attribute, and you wouldn't be able to slot anything else for that attribute.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2018, 07:21:10 »
Gonna be picking it up this weekend. My Xbox tag is Apyllon.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2018, 10:58:41 »
ok so I was looking
I had a lvl 1 piper revolver pistol and it did 27 damage
the level 5 version all stats were the same except it did 31 damage

so higher level weapons do ramp up in damage.
Makes sense. In FO4 you can just upgrade with ever more potent base stats, but that would be unbalancing in multiplayer without a way to limit how soon you can do it. Level locked specific hardware achieves the goal of avoiding low level players with high level gear.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2018, 11:57:27 »
Ironically, after starting this thread, I haven't had a chance to even look at the game yet. Probably won't get a shot at it until late Saturday or Sunday. I'm less than pleased, since that means most of the people I wanted to play this with are going to be light years ahead of me now in level... hopefully I can make up some ground during the long weekend next week.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2018, 13:51:45 »
I'm pretty low level and just derping around.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2018, 03:52:13 »
I now have a pantsless T-51. I can't use it yet, but I have it!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2018, 04:08:57 »
Ma Deuce is love, Ma Deuce is life.

Ran into a gang of those beehive critters, and the .50 cal proved its worth.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2018, 09:38:14 »
Router died. I can't ****** believe it. I finally got in time yesterday to play Fallout 76, after nearly a week of watching the people I wanted to join for it level up for days past me. I had four hours to myself, and the router is on the fritz. I built my character four times, and every time the console would lose its connection because of the router (and it was the router- same problem on the laptop and phone). On one attempt I made it down the Vault steps and all the way to what appeared to be a lumber mill, but didn't get to look around before it died again.

I'm starting to feel like this might be fate telling me something... next chance to play won't be until Thursday.

+Crow T. Robot+

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2018, 04:18:42 »
An now I have a partial T-60 as well. It's landless and headless.

Also, ooof. My stash is nearly full allready

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2018, 06:22:52 »
Ended up dying in the power plant from rad exposure x.x lost my stash when a server error happened on the way to my body. Luckily all the junk was easily replaceable except the screws and adhesive I really need right now.
 Enjoying the game so far, caps are sparse but I'm drowning in ammo.