Author Topic: Mech of the Week: CRB-* Crab  (Read 14664 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Mech of the Week: CRB-* Crab
« Reply #30 on: 19 November 2018, 10:03:29 »
I always wished they put in some fluff on those 'claws' the crabs had.

Maybe the BattleMech Manual gives it the "Battlefists" quirk?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2018, 11:36:39 »
Nope, which is a shame. Although I guess you could argue that the Adder (Puma) is it's spiritual successor.

Or the Ryoken Prime.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 19 November 2018, 11:41:21 »
I have always dug this Mech. As some no doubt went on the exodus did we ever get a IIC or what early clan Mech replaces it?
I'll note that the Nova is, in a sense, a spiritual successor for the Crab. Of course this is somewhat later, but the idea is there.

The lineage goes like:
Crab->King Crab (same manufacturer, cosmetic thing really)->Supernova (conceptually all-energy King Crab)->Nova

Functionally the Nova is somewhat similar to boot.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2018, 10:52:18 »
In-universe, they're built by the same manufacturer, Cosara Weaponries of Northwind

Speaking of Cosara...it is know if Cosara of Northwind build the Crab in present time, and if positive, when it resumed production of the model?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2018, 15:07:45 »
Talk about getting a case of the crabs with this thread about a mech....

or getting all crabby about the subject...

one crab or two crabs with that....
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 15:10:04 by ckosacranoid »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #35 on: 20 November 2018, 20:35:00 »
Or the Ryoken Prime.
I'd say the Stormcrow Prime fits it most, yeah. Triple Medium Lasers and twin Larges, 5 extra tons, cool-running for the payload.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 20 November 2018, 20:45:41 »
It even looks vaguely like the Crab.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 20 November 2018, 23:44:35 »
Speaking of Cosara...it is know if Cosara of Northwind build the Crab in present time, and if positive, when it resumed production of the model?

"During the 3050s", thats about all we know. [TRO 3050U]

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2018, 06:14:15 »
I was thinking about half the article "why no light engine?".
A superb mech in its simplicity, and probably not copied too much because there's no way to differentiate the concept much.
Still, given their production on Mars, why wouldn't comstar have continued production?
They had centuries to produce more of what was possibly intended as a mainline mech of the SLDF, which strikes me as a sensible choice to actually do. As such, I do believe it's quite fine they show up in just about every player formation that can factionally get them.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2018, 09:59:02 »
I was thinking about half the article "why no light engine?".
A superb mech in its simplicity, and probably not copied too much because there's no way to differentiate the concept much.
Still, given their production on Mars, why wouldn't comstar have continued production?
They had centuries to produce more of what was possibly intended as a mainline mech of the SLDF, which strikes me as a sensible choice to actually do. As such, I do believe it's quite fine they show up in just about every player formation that can factionally get them.

The factories weren't running for most of the time Comstar held possession of them. Between the need to keep a low profile, the massive stockpile of hardware they already had, and at least part of the order genuinely believing they were a neutral power, full 'mech production was probably a bad idea. But the Crabs that came out of storage were all in peak condition, so Comstar probably did limited runs of components to repair their stockpile.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2018, 18:16:39 »
While not a fan of the arms on the mini, I've grown to love the Crab as a sturdy trooper 'Mech,
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Kilderkin

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 25 November 2018, 18:50:39 »
In a recent campaign, the Crab was one of the few mechs to survive the destruction of my merc force. It's a cool model to boot!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #42 on: 25 November 2018, 21:16:39 »

The factories weren't running for most of the time Comstar held possession of them. Between the need to keep a low profile, the massive stockpile of hardware they already had, and at least part of the order genuinely believing they were a neutral power, full 'mech production was probably a bad idea.

And having no real losses to replenish until after Tukayyid there would be no real need to endlessly continue production.  Prior to the late 2900s the Com Guards didn't exist in a 'modern' form.  When they were formed they were considered part of ROM.  Its not until the 3030s that the Com Guard was considered its own separate entity and until late in that decade that they started posting units to garrison the HPGs in essentially every major state's respective realm.

Post Tukkayyid saw the development and production of the Raijin to replace losses.  While not identical to the Crab's profile, the Raijin has all the qualifications the PMFer valued in a mech something new and different that every other military wouldn't be familiar with.  Also it looked a lot cooler than the Crab being a spoiler with 2 legs and 2 arms that looked like gun turrets.  The Crab and its Falcon Punch on the other hand are so 2700s.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 25 November 2018, 22:09:18 »
The ComGuard was also getting the Grim Reaper and possibly purchasing Starslayers at the same time.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #44 on: 25 November 2018, 22:33:07 »
Nope, which is a shame. Although I guess you could argue that the Adder (Puma) is it's spiritual successor.

Supernova.

The Supernova has its origins as an energy armed King Crab. The King Crab is inspired by the Crab.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #45 on: 25 November 2018, 23:21:22 »
The ComGuard was also getting the Grim Reaper and possibly purchasing Starslayers at the same time.
Grim Reaper is highly likely as it is another one of the mechs documented to be put into production to replace losses.  Starslayer, probably not.  Not that the MUL is always 100% accurate for each faction, but the Starslayer isn't on the either the Comstar or IS general lists.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 26 November 2018, 01:26:53 »
Yeah, I didn't double check with the MUL.  Thought the Starslayer showed up on the Comstar list.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2018, 02:26:20 »
The Supernova has its origins as an energy armed King Crab. The King Crab is inspired by the Crab.

Whether or not it's true, this statement is hilarious. "What if we made our crabs bigger, scarier, and forgot endurance was a thing?"
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 18 February 2019, 23:00:14 »
I love the Crab, but then again, I am a WOB player ... on a side note, the Crab 45 also has an engine upgrade --- that's a 300XL in there, increasing the speed to 6/9. That extra speed can be a nice edge, if your opponent isn't expecting it.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 19 February 2019, 12:08:48 »
I love the Crab, but then again, I am a WOB player ... on a side note, the Crab 45 also has an engine upgrade --- that's a 300XL in there, increasing the speed to 6/9. That extra speed can be a nice edge, if your opponent isn't expecting it.

Nahuris

You're right - I completely forgot to mention that.  I guess I got a bit hung up on the funky weapons fit.  I shall edit the article to include this rather vital difference...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 19 February 2019, 19:21:18 »
Quick note on the Crab 45 --- it fills a role that some of the IS units do not have. It's an "encirclement" machine .... remember, where other forces work from single mech, to lance.... the WOB works from single mech to Level II, which is 6 mechs .... and so while the bulk of the unit is engaging directly, there is a role for a design that can encircle the enemy, using the C3i to cover for the fact that it is racing around at medium, or even long range... to keep itself from presenting an easy target, while going for back shots ...

If done right, it forces your opponent to choose to continue facing the bigger units, in it's face, or turn away from them to go crab chasing ..... and being a medium, as opposed to a light, you can handle a bit of knock, if the opponent has anything back there.

Some other units in the IS can use the same tactics, notably Liao and Marik, with their vehicle reinforced lances ......

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #51 on: 20 February 2019, 01:29:31 »
Supernova.

Which then inspired an omni version in the Nova, which was then copied by the IS as the Black Hawk KU, which then became the clan standard Black Hawk.
6 degrees of Crab.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 20 February 2019, 05:29:00 »
Which then inspired an omni version in the Nova, which was then copied by the IS as the Black Hawk KU, which then became the clan standard Black Hawk.
6 degrees of Crab.
Think there's one or two 'Mechs inspired by the Nova as well. The Penetrator maybe, and one Kuritan 'Mech with a lot of medium lasers?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #53 on: 20 February 2019, 06:43:17 »
one Kuritan 'Mech with a lot of medium lasers?

I believe you are thinking of the 45 ton Komodo...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 20 February 2019, 12:13:00 »
The Komodo even has a somewhat Crab-shaped profile.  It just moves the position of the cockpit.

Register