Author Topic: AES clarification  (Read 2926 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
AES clarification
« on: 02 April 2019, 12:09:49 »
Is the weight applied to each location you place a crit?  For instance, I want to use it in a 35t mech in the legs- I must use it in both b/c that is the nature of the system.  So 1 crit in each leg goes to the AES . . . but does each of those required crits weight a ton?  Or does the AES system for that mech weight 1 ton, and I can place it in any of the 4 locations but the work in each limb requires a crit to apply?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: AES clarification
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2019, 12:21:25 »
has to be one per leg, placed in the affected location (TO, 278). it specifically says quads need one in each leg. arms can be asymmetrical

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2019, 12:22:55 »
I understand the crits- its the weight cost I am wondering about . . . for the 35t example, is AES 1t period for the mech or 1t per crit used . . . so both legs and 1 weapon arm is 3 crits (absolutely) but is it 1t or 3t for that many crits?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2019, 13:02:02 »
you have to pay the weight for all of them

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2019, 17:00:56 »
removed as it was incorrect.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2019, 10:18:23 by RoundTop »
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2019, 00:55:55 »
For a 35 Ton Biped mech, the AES would be 1 ton & 1 crit for the RL & again 1t & 1c for the LL.

So total is 2 tons.

P.278 states that it requires 2 systems to mount in the legs.  (4 for a Quad mech)

So if you wanted to mount it in all 4 limbs of your 35 ton biped then it would be 4 tons, and 4 crits.

At least that is how I've read it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2019, 08:34:02 »
The reason to do AES in the legs is usually for the PSR bonus.  35 tonners don't usually live long enough to make too many PSRs.  Watcha doin?  :o 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2019, 09:18:18 »
I was thinking about a hardened armor recon mech, the -2 PSR easily offsets the +1 to PSR from hardened.  Was thinking of a Clan mech, XXL for 9/13 or 10/14, Supercharger,  Watchdog CEWS, TAG and a iHML or two for causing damage.
Colt Ward

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2019, 11:00:11 »
For a 35 Ton Biped mech, the AES would be 1 ton & 1 crit for the RL & again 1t & 1c for the LL.

So total is 2 tons.

P.278 states that it requires 2 systems to mount in the legs.  (4 for a Quad mech)

So if you wanted to mount it in all 4 limbs of your 35 ton biped then it would be 4 tons, and 4 crits.

At least that is how I've read it.

This is correct.  Each component weighs that amount. "each unit placing 1 component in each leg" "the weight of each AES equals".

The weight is not per crit slot, but each location.  "each AES component occupies 1 critical slot per weight class". And yes, this restricts it from heavy/assault mechs.
Demo team agent #772

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2019, 11:21:33 »
yeah i couldn't figure out initially if MML was handling i wrong at first because it was giving a three crit system, which made fitting in the legs a problem

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2019, 02:32:36 »
I was thinking about a hardened armor recon mech, the -2 PSR easily offsets the +1 to PSR from hardened.
Seems somewhat of a waste as the mech would have to take 40 points of weapon damage to take a PSR.  At that point one has to wonder if the mech wasn't in an awful place to begin with.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #11 on: 07 April 2019, 08:12:15 »
Seems somewhat of a waste as the mech would have to take 40 points of weapon damage to take a PSR.  At that point one has to wonder if the mech wasn't in an awful place to begin with.

Or get kicked once.  For a close combat mech such as a Rokurokubi, this could happen a fair amount, so it might be worth it. That said, it would need to free up 2 tons for the AES system, which means that it would have to lose out on even more weaponry.
Demo team agent #772

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2019, 14:02:47 »
Or get kicked once.  For a close combat mech such as a Rokurokubi, this could happen a fair amount, so it might be worth it. That said, it would need to free up 2 tons for the AES system, which means that it would have to lose out on even more weaponry.

Who needs guns when you have a TAG?

If they intended to use it as a recon 'Mech, then hardened armor plus leg AES makes the unit overall relatively sturdy.

If we're talking about making it a Clan 'Mech however, it is a bit of an abomination to give it TAG. Though that depends on how you fluff out who made it.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2019, 15:27:57 »

If they intended to use it as a recon 'Mech, then hardened armor plus leg AES makes the unit overall relatively sturdy.

If we're talking about making it a Clan 'Mech however, it is a bit of an abomination to give it TAG. Though that depends on how you fluff out who made it.

Ok, we are getting into fan build territory, but if you strip a Kubi of the LAC/5 and 2t of ammo, that gives you 7 tons. Slap on 2t of AES, gives you 5 tons free still. Ok, add TAG and 4 ER Medium lasers, just because.
Demo team agent #772

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2019, 17:14:21 »
Ok, we are getting into fan build territory, but if you strip a Kubi of the LAC/5 and 2t of ammo, that gives you 7 tons. Slap on 2t of AES, gives you 5 tons free still. Ok, add TAG and 4 ER Medium lasers, just because.

Or this: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65071.0  ^-^

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2019, 15:10:49 »

Having friends is great, but having busy friends is sometimes not so great.  xp
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Register