Author Topic: Re: What didn't Kerensky bring with him?  (Read 1061 times)

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
Re: What didn't Kerensky bring with him?
« on: 19 September 2021, 12:57:19 »
This is an attempt at resolving the various arguments and counter-arguments about just how these do or don't function, lifted entirely from the non-canonical Field Manual: 2785 by John "Takiro" Luther and his collaborators.

- - - - - -

Headhunter Missiles

One of the most advanced missile warheads ever designed by the Star League was the famous (or infamous) Headhunter. Their development was financed by Jonathan Cameron’s military renaissance shortly after he ascended the Star Throne. It was originally thought of as a weapon that when deployed by conventional vehicles could level the playing field with any BattleMech. This would give the Star League an advantage over any ‘Mech force.

The warhead is equipped with an advanced image recognition system that identifies the target and guides the missile towards the head of the ‘Mech. When launched the Headhunters automatically “fly high” heading straight for their target. Mechwarriors, of course, disliked this new weapon system immediately after learning of its successful development. Of course, after entering full production they were distributed to Star League Royal units only. Some SLDF officers refused to use the special ordinance, claiming it violated a Mechwarrior’s code of honor, and several false problems were reported. Despite these officers being disciplined for creating fake complaints this attitude remained prevalent.

Brutal fighting during the Periphery Uprising forced the SLDF to use any and all means at its disposal to end the rebellion. This allowed Headhunters to finally prove themselves in combat against the Periphery BattleMech Divisions. They performed exceptionally giving the SLDF an advantage they sorely needed against determined rebel opposition. Then, as many Star League Mechwarriors had long feared, the formidable Headhunter was turned against them following the seizure of the Terran Hegemony by Stefan Amaris. Despite partisan efforts to disrupt or destroy the Headhunter production line these missiles found their way into the Usurper’s forces. Both sides deployed the Headhunter Missile without mercy during the Amaris Conflict leading to high casualty rates on both sides. Commanding-General Aleksandr Kerensky dismantled the entire Headhunter weapon industry after the war, quite possibly with the assistance of Minister for Communications Jerome Blake.

Game Notes

Headhunter Missiles are highly specialized weapons designed for anti-BattleMech operations only. The missiles can only be used on standard SRM and LRM racks. Their specialized equipment reduces the missiles overall accuracy. They function best when targeting bipedal ‘Mechs and suffer only a +2 to hit modifier. Quad ‘Mechs can be targeted but at a +4 to hit modifier. Headhunters are not effective when used against targets other than ‘Mechs. If the Headhunters strike a targeted BattleMech use the punch tables for hit locations. To determine the number of missile hits, roll 3D6 and use the two lowest dice. Tons, criticals, and damage are dependent on the type of missile used.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2021, 13:32:31 by Hominid Mk II »
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: Re: What didn't Kerensky bring with him?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2021, 14:40:30 »
I think that belongs in fan rules.
I have spoken.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2021, 14:48:06 »
I think that belongs in fan rules.

That did occur to me, but... I was actually trying to suggest that maybe these are the rules TPTB themselves may secretly be going by behind closed doors, unless and until they feel ready to deign to reveal their own thinking on the subject.

In the end I just really couldn't make up my mind one way or the other. If the Mods feel that I made the wrong judgement call by posting it here, they can always move it there.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2021, 16:10:36 by Hominid Mk II »
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2021, 16:56:34 »
yuppers, fan rules for that.  Also make note of torso mounted cockpits and quad-vees, they may be immune.

suffice to say, they didn't make it on the exodus. ... your version sounds like some proto AI killer think ... scary.  mount more AMS please!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2021, 09:08:26 »
yuppers, fan rules for that.  Also make note of torso mounted cockpits and quad-vees, they may be immune.

suffice to say, they didn't make it on the exodus. ... your version sounds like some proto AI killer think ... scary.  mount more AMS please!

This isn't my version - it's the work of John "Takiro" Luther and his collaborators on the non-canon Field Manual: 2785.

And only now, after all the rigmarole of posting it on the General Discussion board only for it to then be moved here, am I belatedly realizing that as described it doesn't even seem to give any indication that it renders Head hits more likely. Am I missing something?

(I'm dog-tired as I type this and my brain is functioning very sluggishly right now.)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2021, 09:33:49 »
This isn't my version - it's the work of John "Takiro" Luther and his collaborators on the non-canon Field Manual: 2785.

And only now, after all the rigmarole of posting it on the General Discussion board only for it to then be moved here, am I belatedly realizing that as described it doesn't even seem to give any indication that it renders Head hits more likely. Am I missing something?

(I'm dog-tired as I type this and my brain is functioning very sluggishly right now.)

Punch table has less locations, so head is more likely than regular hit location. (I'm pretty sure on that)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
Re: What didn't Kerensky bring with him?
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2021, 09:37:48 »
Hmm... .

Register