Author Topic: Least covetted blood name?  (Read 6482 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Least covetted blood name?
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2018, 02:50:56 »
As a trueborn Clan warrior you can't chose which bloodname to apply for. You're always a member of 1 specific bloodhouse (through your maternal gene donor iirc) and that's the only bloodname you can get.

As demonstrated in Malicious Intent, different bloodnames within a bloodhouse carry different levels of respect attached to them.  The Ward bloodname that had belonged to Phelan was considered tainted by the Crusader Wolves until Vlad took it for himself.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 15 December 2018, 10:18:15 »
Which is not the 'bloodname' which encompasses all possible 25 holders of that bloodname.  What you are referring to his the blood-heritage, which is the history of that specific iteration of the bloodname.  For instance Ulric specifically says the heritage (call it #14) he won was more respected than others that had come up in that time- it was the one he wanted.  Ulric passed over two other opportunities for a bloodname (#7 and #22?) because he wanted to be a part of that legacy, very few holders so each warrior held it for longer- which means they were survivors- and they were usually high ranking.  If you want to become a general with a chance for CoS in the Army you do not pick a specialty like Commo or Survey, you go combat arms.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 15 December 2018, 11:03:36 »
But it's the thing involving bloodnames where coveting or not coveting actually comes up.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 15 December 2018, 11:11:27 »
What you are talking about is something like McKibben vs Kerensky- which is better?  Well in universe its assumed Kerensky . . . though coveted might have a problem as the term since as discussed a warrior is only eligible for one anyway.  But you were discussing the difference between the 25 different blood-heritages of a single bloodname, in which case by the two canon examples we know some heritages are more desired than others.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register