Author Topic: MORE Small Arms Advancement!  (Read 123 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
MORE Small Arms Advancement!
« on: 12 March 2024, 18:46:50 »
I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x83aQ_1QVOI

About the new .338 "medium" machine gun (around 8.6mm).  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we're at least knocking on the door of TL C TODAY!

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
Re: MORE Small Arms Advancement!
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2024, 19:57:24 »
I'll just say that there's a lot to unpack with that video.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2024, 19:59:57 »
Certainly!  Including being able to pack that weapon in a ruck... ;D

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2024, 00:00:47 »
I do love the int ops tech levels.  I especially like making tech level B vee versions of todays things for the tech B worlds on the fringes in the great houses and periphery, versus tech C stuff on more advanced worlds, and appreciating the difference between them and the full tech D standard combat vehicles.

Infantry tech uses a very different criteria though, so im not sure where we are infantry tech wise.

My TechB militia boys are a ragtag team compared to the tech B tanks, using mortars and sniper rifles and what would be considered vintage Gatling guns, as tech B infantry cant muster a machine gun.  Tech B, at least on infantry equipment, is the 'mad max' stuff--makeshift rifles, axes, shotguns and bolt action, ect.  While a vehicle machine gun is tech B, infantry machine guns are tech C, which I take as 'RPG balance.'

The logical reasons is cause tech level is very closely tied to the RPG character creation, so all the 'good' stuff is unavailable without 'well equipped' ranks, which also means infantry tech level doesnt follow the rest of battletech's tech level it appears.  Cause they dont want an RPG character starting with a machine gun, so they changed the tech codes I assume.