Poll

Character creation layout

All character creations organized by stage with Clans and Innersphere mixed together.
Early stage character creations together with later stages separated for better organization.
Clans and Innersphere completely separated for better flow.
Other (Please explain)

Author Topic: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.  (Read 58824 times)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.
« on: 14 February 2020, 22:16:09 »
Optional rules for MechWarrior Second Edition.
The spaces below are the current rules I have that I just need to change formats on.
Feel free to add any of your Optional/Home rules here.
Constructive opinions and ideas are welcome. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 22 February 2020, 02:38:55 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2020, 22:16:41 »
General Rule changes.

« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:11:30 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2020, 22:17:32 »
Affiliation Optional rules:
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:11:52 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2020, 22:26:08 »
Missing Schools From 2nd Ed
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:12:17 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2020, 02:14:13 »
Civilian Skill Packages.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:12:32 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2020, 05:51:01 »
More Clan Warrior Packages
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:12:42 by victor_shaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2020, 06:08:22 »
Appreciate this as an old schooler.  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2020, 06:18:34 »
Clan Caste Packages
« Last Edit: 27 November 2020, 17:01:36 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2020, 06:19:52 »
Appreciate this as an old schooler.  :thumbsup:

You are Welcome!
Feel free to chime in on other areas that need to be addressed or errors that need to be corrected.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2020, 06:29:39 »
Mechwarrior 2nd Hybrid Vehicle Combat System (Coming Soon)

Will be a fully integrated combat system using a hybrid of (MW 2nd/Alpha Strike/MW:Destiny)
Parts
Mechwarriors and Skills from MW 2nd
Most rules from Alpha Strike
Damage diagrams, Damage conversions, and some edge rules from MW:Destiny
« Last Edit: 06 March 2020, 09:37:54 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2020, 02:18:21 »
First new update in a while.
Sorry for the long absents.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2020, 04:38:34 »
What's the update?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2020, 12:53:00 »
What's the update?

Added the capellan academies under missing schools.
Will be adding the others as time permits.
Will also be adding a sections on:
1. new advantages and optional rules for disadvantages.
2. Intelligence departments and the packages that make them up, like DEST (Special forces IOS, Battlemech Pilot MOS) etc.
3. New skill uses.
4. An Index on the location of all MW2 rules.
5. And More.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2020, 12:59:34 by victor_shaw »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2020, 02:22:11 »
I only glanced through this in idle curiosity, and one question comes to mind:  Do you have updated weapons stats for the newer range of personnel fire-arms?

I have MW 2nd Ed, and I recall the weapons list being kinda light compared to what can be found in Total Warfare's infantry construction rules.

Thanks.  And I apologize if I missed it.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2020, 05:52:28 »
New Advantages
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:12:56 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2020, 05:58:00 »
I only glanced through this in idle curiosity, and one question comes to mind:  Do you have updated weapons stats for the newer range of personnel fire-arms?

I have MW 2nd Ed, and I recall the weapons list being kinda light compared to what can be found in Total Warfare's infantry construction rules.

Thanks.  And I apologize if I missed it.

No you didn't miss anything.  :thumbsup: After going over Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior Companion, and The Intelligence Handbook I found that there where actually few weapons and equipment that were not covered from AToW. Most of the items not covered were just named variance of the covered items. But when I find time I will be working on converting them to MW2.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2020, 06:14:11 »
New Disadvantages Rules
Combined with new Advantages into one document. See above.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2020, 17:03:16 by victor_shaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2020, 06:08:13 »
I always remember my friend Bradshaw making fun of the 1 point 'human' in the MW2 RPG system.

Also on the memory front I made another Psionic chart for a ripoff home game that we had fun with. Based on Sixth Sense a character could choose to be a Psi if they wanted with varying degrees of power.

We really loved the simplicity of this system. Good to see someone still working on it!
« Last Edit: 20 October 2020, 06:15:33 by Takiro »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2020, 06:19:21 »
I always remember my friend Bradshaw making fun of the 1 point 'human' in the MW2 RPG system.

Also on the memory front I made another Psionic chart for a ripoff home game that we had fun with. Based on Sixth Sense a character could choose to be a Psi if they wanted with varying degrees of power.

We really loved the simplicity of this system. Good to see someone still working on it!

Glade you like it.
Would love to hear your thoughts on the items that I have posted (Feedback/Ideas/Complaints) ;)

Capt. Aramias Starbourne

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2020, 05:29:48 »
I too use psionics in my game. I really like them. Certain advantages can lead to psionics if proper training or devotion spent on them. For example, sixth sense can lead to clairvoyance and toughness can get you body awareness. They have saved my players butts more than once.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2020, 06:13:59 »
I'm in a current campaign in roughly the 3059 in the periphery, so getting new stuff added to the existing MW2 edition really cool.  I still like this system to all the other one out there.

I've not found destiny is my thing, its too lite.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 23 October 2020, 14:27:10 »
Well, fun thing about MW2 is that it doesn't take much to turn it into a better rendition of BattleTroops.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 23 October 2020, 18:18:05 »
I too use psionics in my game. I really like them. Certain advantages can lead to psionics if proper training or devotion spent on them. For example, sixth sense can lead to clairvoyance and toughness can get you body awareness. They have saved my players butts more than once.

While I'm not really into the whole psionics idea in battletech, you are right the mechanics do tend to lend themselves to it. I think it has to do with the mechanics being a derivative of Shadowrun 1st edition (1989)

Well, fun thing about MW2 is that it doesn't take much to turn it into a better rendition of BattleTroops.

I'm guessing BattleTroops and DMZ where influences on the creation of the combat systems in MW2
and the maps from both work well for RPG.

Funny think is how well I feel MW2 handled Elementals in 3 pages compared to BattleTroops. A feat I have yet to see any of the other MW RPGs pull-off.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2020, 02:51:29 »
Psionics are actually easily acceptable in BT, especially if you read from the old House Kurita source book, or any of Stackpole's Warrior trilogy.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 25 October 2020, 12:03:44 »
New Equipment

Power Packs and Rechargers

Power Packs                            T/A/L              Cost              Power Capacity             Note
Micro, Standard                        3/A/A               10                      15
Micro, Q-C                                3/A/A                20                      10                      Quick-Charge
Micro, H-C                                4/B/A               30                      30
Standard, Clan                         4/A/A                25                      30                      Quick-Charge
Military, Clan                            4/B/A               200                    300                     Quick-Charge
Micro, Clan                               4/B/A                50                      20                     Quick-Charge
Satchel, Clan                            4/B/A               100                    150                     Quick-Charge
Portable Power Unit                 2/A/A                10                      80                      Slow-Charge
Support PPC Power unit          3/B/B               750                   1,500                   Powers 1 Support PPC or 6 Smaller items.

Rechargers              T/A/L              Cost                 Recharge Rate               Notes
Fusion                      3/D/A              5,000                     100PPH                     Clan/Comstar only
Heavy-Duty              2/A/A                50                        200PPH                     May service up to 5 power packs at a time
Power Grid               2/A/A                10*                       50PPH                       * cost is for the adapter
« Last Edit: 25 October 2020, 12:05:17 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 31 October 2020, 00:18:44 »
New updates:
1. Corrected Advantages to better reflect MW2 mechanics, and added some notes for experienced character creation.

2. Add Disadvantages.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2020, 01:16:55 »
Have been working on weapon and armor conversion.

Armor turned out to be fairly simple and should be up after some reformatting from the excel file its currently in.

Weapons on the other hand are turning out to be a headache.
Biggest issues is ranges appear to be way off from each other and damage is not anywhere close to a direct conversion. So my normal way of handling this conversion (not posting or changing existing items) doesn't look like it will work here.

Have made some inquirers with the powers that be and will likely be on hold for a response.
For now I will get back to work on the School conversions and other items that don't require that information.

That said, I would like to know from players that are interested in this conversion.
1. Are you fine with a complete reworking of weapon ranges to be more inline with 3rd/AToW or do you prefer they stay closer to MW2 original stats?
2. I have started some work on era related Priority tables and affiliations, is this something you guys want or should I put it on the back burned, since I already put up a generic one?
3. Is a new hybrid Vehicle combat system using a more MW:D/MW2 companion type system (MW2 rules using MW:D armor diagram) needed or do you think the current MW2 companion/CBT system is fine?
4. Are rules for Background packages needed or is that a bit much for MW2?
5. Is there anything that I have missed that you want to see (yes I do request  :thumbsup:) ?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2020, 08:39:14 »
That said, I would like to know from players that are interested in this conversion.
1. Are you fine with a complete reworking of weapon ranges to be more inline with 3rd/AToW or do you prefer they stay closer to MW2 original stats?

Isn't 3rd ed/AToW on a different damage gradient?  One of the things I liked about MW2 was taking a mechanic from the parent game and expanding it - the pilot damage/consciousness table.  One of the more intuitive designs I've seen.  Also, I like the damage locations and effects.  You could practically outfit a Mech Sheet to rep a human, if you wanted to.

I have no problem if you can't get a direct conversion from MW2 to MW3 or AToW.  Fudge things if you have to, but err on the side of the chart that is the basis for MW2.

Example: the Battle Rifle out of TW- it's supposed to do about half a point of BT damage.  A point of BT damage roughly equates to a full kill for a single person. So, there you go.

2. I have started some work on era related Priority tables and affiliations, is this something you guys want or should I put it on the back burned, since I already put up a generic one?

I have no stance on this, yet, since I haven't done proper campaigns with this system. 

3. Is a new hybrid Vehicle combat system using a more MW:D/MW2 companion type system (MW2 rules using MW:D armor diagram) needed or do you think the current MW2 companion/CBT system is fine?

I'm fine with the CBT being the go-to for armored combat.  The only exception I have would be ProtoMechs and Battle Armor.

4. Are rules for Background packages needed or is that a bit much for MW2?

I'm actually okay with additional rules, especially if they're optional.  Maybe you should look into making a GM book or set of guidelines when it comes to enforcing character creation packages based on where the campaign is to start.

5. Is there anything that I have missed that you want to see (yes I do request  :thumbsup:) ?

I want to see this simplified a bit so we could do a quick-and-dirty BattleTroops level game.   Any suggestions on how far to condense the damage?  Any suggestions for stock infantry, minor character variations, and faction armor/weapon packages?  By era?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2020, 05:30:16 »
Isn't 3rd ed/AToW on a different damage gradient?  One of the things I liked about MW2 was taking a mechanic from the parent game and expanding it - the pilot damage/consciousness table.  One of the more intuitive designs I've seen.  Also, I like the damage locations and effects.  You could practically outfit a Mech Sheet to rep a human, if you wanted to.

I have no problem if you can't get a direct conversion from MW2 to MW3 or AToW.  Fudge things if you have to, but err on the side of the chart that is the basis for MW2.

Example: the Battle Rifle out of TW- it's supposed to do about half a point of BT damage.  A point of BT damage roughly equates to a full kill for a single person. So, there you go.

This question had more to do with ranges then damage.
On damage I can just do cross comparisons to existing MW2 weapons and get a round about dice code.
The issues come with the ranges.
There seems to be a soft cap of around 30 hexes for Small Arms in MW2, where this is not the case in AToW. I would gues that they where trying to limit the range in MW2 to fit on smaller mapboards.

Example: The MAUSER 960 ASSAULT SYSTEM has a range of 55(15)/170(34)/365(73)/740(148) in AToW but the ranges for MW2 are 1-7/8-15/16-30
##(**): #-range in meters, *-range in hexes.
And this is an ongoing issues with most range weapons.
1. I could come up with guess ranges that fit the MW2 limits.
2. I could run conversions of all weapon ranges to match the AToW stats, from what I can tell at this point it shouldn't hurt the system at all.
Example: New MAUSER 960 ASSAULT SYSTEM ranges: 1-15/16-34/35-73 (dropping Extreme range), or I could even cut them in half (round up) and get 1-8/9-17/18-37 which would be closer to MW2 Ranges, but I would have to do it to all weapons including those already present in the game.

I have no stance on this, yet, since I haven't done proper campaigns with this system. 

The table would handle eras like the Starleague (No Clans, higher starting priority for Terrain PCs) and Clan golden age (less powerful Phenotypes do to the young age of the Clans breeding program)
The era Affiliations could take up considerable room.

I'm fine with the CBT being the go-to for armored combat.  The only exception I have would be ProtoMechs and Battle Armor.

Not sure what you mean by your exceptions.
1. You want them to follow MW2 rules and not CBT?
2. You want them to have their own system?
3. I'm reading to much into it

I'm actually okay with additional rules, especially if they're optional.  Maybe you should look into making a GM book or set of guidelines when it comes to enforcing character creation packages based on where the campaign is to start.

Only issues I have seen so far with putting backgrounds in, are the same ones that cropped up with Affiliations.
1. Character get a lot more skills then they normally would.
2. Unlike the AToW/3rd character creation system MW2 gives skills in full values not points and due to the way skills are advanced in MW2 have a Small Arms skill of 2 and then getting Small Arms skill of 1 doesn't equal 3 as skills level 3 would cost 6 points and the above example equal 4.
Have thought about making Background packages something a character can buy at a discounted price, but this seems to bring on its own problems due to the limited skill point you get at the start.
If I put them in they would need to have the same requirement I used for the Affiliation. 
Everyone must have them or no one gets them.
only way to balance them.

I want to see this simplified a bit so we could do a quick-and-dirty BattleTroops level game.   Any suggestions on how far to condense the damage?  Any suggestions for stock infantry, minor character variations, and faction armor/weapon packages?  By era?

The Standard Kits are listed in AToW so it shouldn't be to hard to put together a loadout list for the average trooper.
As for weapons, I was under the impression that BattleTroop had a unit breakdown and weapon load out example in it already.
And a quick aside, do you have the MW2 Companion?
It has IMHO great infantry/Battlearmor rules.
If you are looking for something more.
This would have to be a project down the road as I am currently only working a Options for the MW2 rules right now.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2020, 05:44:19 by victor_shaw »

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 06 November 2020, 17:23:16 »
(1-3) Bloodmark- MW2: A character with the Bloodmark Disadvantage has a price on his head and is being actively hunted by bounty hunters looking to collect. The level chosen determines the frequency and total bounty as determined by the GM and Player at the start of the campaign.

GM: You took a level 3 blood mark? What is it?
Player: I slept with a young Ms. Steiner before she was of age. Why is that a problem?
GM: You are a fragging idiot and you pretty much have most of the IS gunning for your head.
Player: So, lots of salavge that way.
GM: (just does a facepalm.)

Register