Author Topic: 2011 Bloodright/Grand Melee FAQ Thread  (Read 4129 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
  • Starting over is hard to do...
    • Team Cincinnati BattleTech!
2011 Bloodright/Grand Melee FAQ Thread
« on: 06 July 2011, 16:01:37 »
1) Do I need to bring my own minis/record sheet?

Bloodright) No, all minis and record sheets are provided.  You'll choose from a list of minis we have there.

Grand Melee) Not necessarily.  We'll be printing record sheets for people, and we'll have some minis available for use as minis or proxies, but if you want to bring your own mini, you're more than welcome to do so.

2) Do I need to pick a Mech(s) ahead of time?

Bloodright)  No.  You'll choose from a list of minis/sheets we have there.  The minis available will be on a table for your perusal at least 1 hour before the scheduled start of the Bloodright.  The list will not be posted ahead of time online because it will disadvantage some players who do not routinely check online for such things.

Grand Melee)  Yes.  You can pick any Tournament-legal canon-config Clan Heavy OmniMech with an adjusted BV2 of 2800 or less (after P/G are taken into account).  Note that the expanded "Tournament Legal" rules from TRO:Protoytpes (which expand Tournament-legal equipment beyond the year 3090) do not apply to the Grand Melee.

3) EDGE Errata

Change

Each player has one “Edge” point per round of the Trial.

“Edge” can be used to force a re-roll of the dice at any point during the game: to-hit rolls, piloting skill rolls, hit location rolls and any other roll of the dice are all fair game, as long as the player spending Edge is the player who actually made the roll in the first place (for example, Edge may not be spent to force a re-roll on another player's successful Piloting Skill Roll).  Edge can only force the most recent roll of the dice to be re-rolled, not a prior roll; for example, a player cannot decide to reroll the to-hit roll for the second weapon he fired after making to-hit rolls for four other weapons. 

to the following:

“Edge” can be used to force a re-roll of the dice at any point during the game: to-hit rolls, piloting skill rolls, hit location rolls and any other roll of the dice are all fair game, as long as roll being re-rolled directly affects the player spending Edge (so a player can spend Edge to reroll a failed PSR or a weapon hit against him, but not an opponent’s successful PSR).  Edge can only force the most recent roll of the dice to be re-rolled, not a prior roll; for example, a player cannot decide to reroll the to-hit roll for the second weapon he fired after making to-hit rolls for four other weapons.

4) Do Grand Melee players have Edge?

Yes, a single point of Edge is standard for all participants.

5) Do Grand Melee participants HAVE to fire every round?

No, the listed rule under the "Grand Melee" section regarding mandatory weapons fire is an optional, judge-issued penalty for poor sportsmanship and/or inability/unwillingness on the part of the player to conduct themselves in the manner a Clan Warrior would under such conditions. 

Thanks to peterlacasse, itstehpope, and StCplMara for their questions.  FAQ and Errata are now closed for the 2011 GenCon Trial of Bloodright.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2011, 13:27:57 by Darrian Wolffe »
Every time a grognard comes to realise the game can't survive purely on his dog-eared copy of the Warrior Trilogy, duct-taped CityTech boxed set and personal sense of spite and has taken a tack of mild concern for the future marketability of the game...an angel gets its wings.

peterlacasse

• Corporal
Re: 2011 Bloodright/Grand Melee FAQ Thread
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2011, 21:34:59 »
Grand Melee)  Yes.  You can pick any canon-config Clan Heavy Mech with an adjusted BV2 of 2800 or less (after P/G are taken into account). 

Any canon config Clan Heavy OmniMech, quiaff?

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2011, 00:08:09 »
Any canon config Clan Heavy OmniMech, quiaff?

Gah, yes.  Lead post edited.  Also added bit about the expanded Tournament-legal equipment list from TRO:Prototypes.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2011, 00:10:50 by Darrian Wolffe »
Every time a grognard comes to realise the game can't survive purely on his dog-eared copy of the Warrior Trilogy, duct-taped CityTech boxed set and personal sense of spite and has taken a tack of mild concern for the future marketability of the game...an angel gets its wings.

peterlacasse

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2011, 12:25:12 »
Will players in the Grand Melee have Edge?

Will there be a separate thread for Prefect Score, Battletech Open or Solaris Melee Challenge questions, or should we lump those in here, if we have any?

Why does Edge only affect the player's rolls, and not those of the opponent?  (It seems like the purpose of Edge is to reduce the impact of bad luck in determining who the best player is, and the worst kind of bad luck is when someone makes a lucky hit location roll early on.  I myself once won a tournament game in one turn, with a LPL to the cockpit.  We don't know who the best player in that game was because of luck.)

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2011, 13:57:45 »
The funny thing?  I basically didn't change the wording of Edge at all...I just copy-pasted it from previous iterations of the rules and clarified.  That's actually the way it's always been.  Here's the copy-paste from an old set of Bloodright rules I had nothing to do with with the pertinent bit highlighted:

“Edge” can be used to force a re-roll of the dice at any point during the game: to-hit rolls, piloting skill rolls, hit location rolls and any other roll of the dice which the player who wishes to spend Edge has just made are all fair game. Edge can only force the most recent roll of the dice to be re-rolled, not a prior roll; for example, a player cannot decide to reroll the to-hit roll for the second weapon he fired after making to-hit rolls for four other weapons.

...and my version from this year:

“Edge” can be used to force a re-roll of the dice at any point during the game: to-hit rolls, piloting skill rolls, hit location rolls and any other roll of the dice are all fair game, as long as the player spending Edge is the player who actually made the roll in the first place (for example, Edge may not be spent to force a re-roll on another player's successful Piloting Skill Roll).  Edge can only force the most recent roll of the dice to be re-rolled, not a prior roll; for example, a player cannot decide to reroll the to-hit roll for the second weapon he fired after making to-hit rolls for four other weapons.

I clarified it a bit, but the substance doesn't change.  Weird, yeah?

peterlacasse

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2011, 14:49:46 »
Yeah.  Maybe the original person who wrote the rule based it on the version of Edge that appears in the RPG, without thinking much about how to best apply it in the tournament setting.  (Though being able to re-roll enemy hit locations would be very useful in the RPG as well, to avoid losing your character every couple dozen times you get hit with a Gauss Rifle over the course of your career.)

As written, it's not terrible; it makes players a little more lethal, and avoids unlikely self-imposed bad luck like critting yourself when you fall.  But avoiding those not-so-uncommon lucky hits has great synergy with the whole purpose of a tournament to begin with.

Changing it doesn't give anybody an advantage, and it might turn what would otherwise be a very not fun game into an enjoyable one after all.  It sucks when you spend all kinds of money to go to a convention and play in a major tournament with some of the best players around, and then get headcapped.

There's probably still time to change it for this year, if you so chose, but if you don't, maybe think about and talk over changing it for next year.

peterlacasse

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2011, 13:41:31 »
Will players in the Grand Melee have Edge?

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 14:00:59 »
Updated.

ShadowSeraph

• Private
  • "Hey George, Lookie what i found!"
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2011, 16:30:10 »
Don't know if i said anything before i left, But much Thanks goes out to Darrian and Teh Pope for running such a awesome event. The Format and and Mech selection was awesome.  Defiantly looking forward to next year.
"I am Jade Falcon. I am a Bird of Prey. Now feel the rake of my talons!"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2011, 03:51:03 »
What was the Bloodname being trialed for and who won it?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2011, 11:47:40 »
What was the Bloodname being trialed for and who won it?

Ditto!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

ShadowSeraph

• Private
  • "Hey George, Lookie what i found!"
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2011, 11:52:45 »
The Bloodname being fought for was the Sinclair bloodname, or the Steel Viper Clan. The Winner got to enjoy his new found status for twenty whole minutes, before Representatives of the Grand Council came by to take him out behind the shed.

In all seriousness, it was a good tournament, and some very strong competitors. I don't remember the winners name, but Darrion might.
"I am Jade Falcon. I am a Bird of Prey. Now feel the rake of my talons!"

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2011, 21:39:42 »
*bows* Thank you for the praise.

I personally don't remember, though hopefully DW may.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

JBrewer

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2011, 07:15:42 »
The name of the winner of the Bloodright was Andy.....something. (Whatever it was, it's Sinclair now.  :))

Heck of a nice guy and he plays well when sleep deprived.

John (The guy who played him last.  [tickedoff])