Author Topic: The Four Horsemen of the SLDF: A Tribute to JA Baker’s "Who Goes There?"  (Read 656 times)

ChaserGrey

• Private
As I've posted elsewhere, I'm a major fan of JA Baker's "Who Goes There?", an anthology of weird and spooky stories from across the BattleTech universe. One of my absolute favorite chapters is "Upon a Pale Horse," in which the Amaris occupiers of the Terran Hegemony are pursued by four mysterious assault-class BattleMechs that can seemingly appear out of nowhere, attack, and vanish into thin air. You can read it at https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58472.msg1539152#msg1539152. As the name suggests, they're modeled after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: a white Highlander, a red Cyclops, a jet-black Thug, and a bone-white Atlas II.  The story's written as a masterful pastiche of the "canon rumor" kind of writing you get in the Interstellar Players books, and as the narrator himself notes there's no way the Horsemen could have actually done everything attributed to them- unless, that is, they really were the vengeful ghosts of some of the Black Watch...

I've been meaning to paint these for a while, and it's bittersweet that they're only done now that JA Baker's passed away.  But they're finally done and hit the gaming table at my local BT group for the first time last Thursday, so I give you the Four Horsemen of the SLDF:

Highlander - "Pestilence"

Cyclops - "War"

Thug - "Famine"

Atlas - "Death"

The Horsemen advance for the first time across a gaming table.  Fittingly, in JA Baker's story their first appearance was in the Arctic.

Hope everyone enjoys.  They made a positive impression at my gaming table, and one of the other guys there is interested in doing a similar lance.  It makes me smile knowing it will continue things in some small way...
« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 22:51:50 by ChaserGrey »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
A fitting tribute!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
I think I just took a critical hit to the feels...  cry
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Well done!
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DOC_Agren

• Major
damm  i'm not cry, you are

and a direct link to the STORY
« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 17:38:02 by DOC_Agren »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Very nice.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Very very nice. Count me impressed