Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 145489 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #660 on: 02 November 2019, 17:03:56 »
Adrian Goldsworthy's The Complete Roman Army.

As it says on the tin, very comprehensive analysis of all things Roman Army. The subject is covered by thousands of books, blogs, documentaries, reenactors, YouTube videos, etc in varying detail and accuracy. But if you want the authoritative source for all of that stuff then THIS. IS. IT.

Unlike the above sources, controversial areas and alternate opinions are always pointed out by the author before moving forward with his own opinion. Much appreciated, that.

10/10, would reference again.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #661 on: 02 November 2019, 17:08:31 »
Awesome!  I have a colleague who is teaching a course on Roman military history... I'll point this one out to him!   :thumbsup:

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #662 on: 02 November 2019, 20:42:56 »
Awesome!  I have a colleague who is teaching a course on Roman military history... I'll point this one out to him!   :thumbsup:
He should know of Goldsworthy, who is quite a name in the field. Would be interesting to know his opinion ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #663 on: 03 November 2019, 04:38:53 »
I'll ask him tomorrow... he's more soldier than scholar, so I give it a 50/50 shot that he's heard of Goldsworthy.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #664 on: 18 November 2019, 12:39:38 »
A friend was telling me about a ST:NG novel he once read.  A subplot was that Starfleet made some modifications to the ships computer so that it was snarky and annoying.  "Tea, earl grey, hot."  "Are you sure that's a good idea?"  He can't remember the title.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #665 on: 18 November 2019, 16:51:15 »
I'll ask him tomorrow... he's more soldier than scholar, so I give it a 50/50 shot that he's heard of Goldsworthy.
Whoops... totally forgot to follow up with this.  He has three Goldsworthy books on the bookshelf in his office, so yeah, he's familiar...  :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #666 on: 21 December 2019, 14:19:47 »
Just found out that the next Dresden Files novel, Peace Talks, finally has a release date.

July 14th of 2020.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #667 on: 21 December 2019, 14:52:31 »
Just found out that the next Dresden Files novel, Peace Talks, finally has a release date.

July 14th of 2020.

Finally!

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #668 on: 21 December 2019, 14:56:43 »
Currently reading Mira Grant's "Newsflesh" series.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #669 on: 21 December 2019, 23:26:39 »

July 14th of 2020.

bastille day? ok
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #670 on: 22 December 2019, 01:35:35 »
And the song by Rush pops into my head.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #671 on: 22 December 2019, 03:33:48 »
And the song by Rush pops into my head.
Nothing wrong with that 😁
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #672 on: 22 December 2019, 17:48:47 »
Cibola Burn by James S A Correy.  It's been about two years since I read an Expanse novel so I am glad to return to the series.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #673 on: 23 December 2019, 01:25:14 »
The 8 books released so far are in groups of 3 (if that makes sense). You may think the sixth book is a high point. Wait until you get to the end of book eight.

Excellent series.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #674 on: 23 December 2019, 08:29:36 »
The 8 books released so far are in groups of 3 (if that makes sense). You may think the sixth book is a high point. Wait until you get to the end of book eight.

Excellent series.

There were at least three points in book 8 where my jaw literally dropped. Can't wait for the last one next year.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #675 on: 23 December 2019, 20:48:57 »
Human Bullets by Tadayoshi Sakurai. Its a memoir of a young Japanese Army officer during the Russo Japanese War. This is my second reading.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #676 on: 24 December 2019, 00:39:02 »
I'd read Cixin Liu's three novels in the "Three Body Problem" trilogy. I enjoyed them - definitely not Western sci-fi, and some big ideas.

So I picked up "Wandering Earth", a collection of short stories, and "The Supernova Era".

"Wandering Earth" had some good work, but was clearly the author's earlier work. Plus he can be a bit didactic with the dinosaurs and ants too often.

"Supernova Era"- everyone over 13 dies. After a third of the book, I wish I had too. Avoid, sorry.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #677 on: 24 December 2019, 04:18:15 »
I'd read Cixin Liu's three novels in the "Three Body Problem" trilogy. I enjoyed them - definitely not Western sci-fi, and some big ideas.

So I picked up "Wandering Earth", a collection of short stories, and "The Supernova Era".

"Wandering Earth" had some good work, but was clearly the author's earlier work. Plus he can be a bit didactic with the dinosaurs and ants too often.

I haven't read past Three-Body Problem yet, but I enjoyed it. 

Have you seen the movie of Wandering Earth? It's very different to the short story from what I understand, but it was a very fun hard-ish SF romp

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #678 on: 26 December 2019, 14:21:10 »
12 Rules for Life. Christmas present. Probably a bit too late for me, ;) but hopefully I can use it to help my boys grow up.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #679 on: 01 January 2020, 18:23:50 »
Started one of the books I received for Christmas / Birthday, The Ghost Mountain Boys. It follows men of the 32nd Infantry Division in the New Guinea campaign. The 32nd spent more time in combat than any other US Army division in WWII.

12 Rules for Life. Christmas present. Probably a bit too late for me, ;) but hopefully I can use it to help my boys grow up.

I got that too! Looking forward to it; I enjoy his podcasts.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #680 on: 09 January 2020, 19:24:26 »
Finished The Ghost Mountain Boys yesterday. I knew, intellectually, the Buna campaign, like all the fighting in New Guinea, was very rough. Man did I get an education.

I'm going to shar a small tidbit from near the end of the book. Its not going to spoil anything but it will give a clear image of how the fighting at Buna was perceived by the military of the day:

An officer of the 32nd (Sam) was recuperating in an Australian hospital after the campaign, recovering from gunshot wounds, malaria, and skin sores. Sharing his room were several Marine officers who had served in the Guadalcanal campaign. They frequently spoke of Guadalcanal and talked about what happened there. One day Sam had to report somewhere so he donned his uniform blouse and his room mates saw his Combat Infantry badge, Purple Heart and Distinguished Service Cross.
"Hey Sam, where'd you pick those up?"
"Buna" he replied.
For the rest of his stay the Marine officers never mentioned Guadalcanal again whenever he was around.

That passage really struck me, and I think will stick with me for a long time.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #681 on: 10 January 2020, 17:48:30 »
ok
re read few over thanks giving and new year
a old star trek novel How much for just a planet?
still puts a bit of chuckle out of me
stanislaw lem books robotic salies and cyberiad along with few pilot pirx novels still enjoy truls machine and automathiews friend
re read 8 chung kuo series david wingrove
original dune ...

but since i had few books destroyed in storage i am still looking to replace
i am looking for older series of books
premise is quest for the rings that can shut down a computer master system that watches over humanity. computer took over and sent humans away from earth to other planets transformed the populations according to the belif systems and altered them to fit their environments . it keeps watch on humans through vals which can look like humans and assassinate folks through them if any one finds about the control rings.
main character who gets started finds a pit with carved heads of scientists that designed the computer and ask him for input since he did not have the keys he got expelled. another character is a teen girl of a governor who would do anything not to go with manditory assignment her father has to take in what was china
wish i remembere more but it had been over 25 years since i read it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #682 on: 10 January 2020, 21:17:32 »
You want Jack Chalker's "Rings of the Masters" series. Ask me or Charlie Tango about any Jack Chalker works, we're big fans. You'd probably also like the "Four Lords of the Diamond" series. I also highly recommend the first three of the "Well of Souls" series, and the "Quintara Marathon".

Chalker's books are all about transformation in one form or another.

Did you know David Wingrove made a restart on the "Chung Kuo" series? The 8th book in the original version is ... disappointing, but his publisher had originally promised him 9 books, then after 7 books told him "one more, that's it." The rewrite starts earlier in the piece. Despite the ending, Chung Kuo is a flawed masterpiece, with original world-building.

And do try and find "The Final Reflection", a TOS Star Trek book written by John Ford, who wrote "How much for just the planet?". They're the only two TOS novels I've bothered to keep. Read "The Final Reflection", and weep for what the Klingons could have been portrayed as.

And yes, few things equal Dune.

I approve heartily of your reading list!  :thumbsup: :wheelchair:

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #683 on: 10 January 2020, 21:48:49 »
You want Jack Chalker's "Rings of the Masters" series. Ask me or Charlie Tango about any Jack Chalker works, we're big fans. You'd probably also like the "Four Lords of the Diamond" series. I also highly recommend the first three of the "Well of Souls" series, and the "Quintara Marathon".

Chalker's books are all about transformation in one form or another.

Did you know David Wingrove made a restart on the "Chung Kuo" series? The 8th book in the original version is ... disappointing, but his publisher had originally promised him 9 books, then after 7 books told him "one more, that's it." The rewrite starts earlier in the piece. Despite the ending, Chung Kuo is a flawed masterpiece, with original world-building.

And do try and find "The Final Reflection", a TOS Star Trek book written by John Ford, who wrote "How much for just the planet?". They're the only two TOS novels I've bothered to keep. Read "The Final Reflection", and weep for what the Klingons could have been portrayed as.

And yes, few things equal Dune.

I approve heartily of your reading list!  :thumbsup: :wheelchair:
yah thats the one ! thanks btw are you safe down under?
i have final reflection also
wingrove i did know and read some of them but still i go back to original 8 novels the new series is supposed to be 22 or 23 books total and original 8 tossed in
and i was so disappointed in 8th book
for life of me i cannot remember who wrote original fuzzies series..i recall author dying before finishing the book and sequel was so lack luster i totally forgot about it.
still replacing my books i lost...so i come across few bits and what nots

bit surprised you did not mention stanislaw lem...a lot of his books especially futuroligical congress(?) are a lot of tongue in cheek and a lot of social observation i do recommend cyberiad and its reprints with illustrations...they are a bit disturbing but fit the stories very well...robot sallies is hard to get or find but well worth a read
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #684 on: 10 January 2020, 21:59:39 »
gateway and the whole series fredrick pohl
outnumbering the dead was pretty good
starchild trilogy was unique
Ark Liberty by Bradley, Will was a bit of nice take on global climate catastrophy
and my fave judge dredd complete case files 1 through 33
btw does any one remember a origin story of dark judges death mortis fire and fear ? i recall judge death befor he became judge death coming across sisters of death who were also not dead yet

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #685 on: 10 January 2020, 22:08:07 »
God Wants You Dead by Sean Hastings - Paul Rosenberg
interesting take on ideas and how they propagate deep look at meme and how it evolved along side with religions and their ideas

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #686 on: 11 January 2020, 00:43:25 »
for life of me i cannot remember who wrote original fuzzies series..i recall author dying before finishing the book and sequel was so lack luster i totally forgot about it.

H. Beam Piper.  He wrote the first book, Little Fuzzy, and a sequel, Fuzzy Sapiens, which was published the year he committed suicide.  Another sequel in partially complete form was discovered and published in 84, and other authors have also published their own sequels.

Also, John Scalzi wrote a "reboot" of the original called Fuzzy Nation that was published a few years ago.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #687 on: 11 January 2020, 01:48:54 »
Fuzzy Nation is pretty good... As I recall, Piper's family was quite happy with Scalzi's work.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #688 on: 11 January 2020, 02:47:45 »
Yeah, IIRC Scalzi sought their blessing on it before publishing.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #689 on: 11 January 2020, 06:25:07 »
and my fave judge dredd complete case files 1 through 33
btw does any one remember a origin story of dark judges death mortis fire and fear ? i recall judge death befor he became judge death coming across sisters of death who were also not dead yet

There's been a couple of origin stories for the Dark Judges down through the years.  I remember one that ran as an Anderson serial in the Meg maybe 10 years ago that had gorgeous Arthur Ranson art.  And apparently there's a big ongoing early years of Deadworld thing in the Tooth at the moment, but I've not read it in ages.