Author Topic: MOTW: Solitaire  (Read 3695 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
MOTW: Solitaire
« on: 20 March 2020, 14:49:25 »

Solitaire

Baby Shark WITH FREAKING LASER BEAMS DOO DOO DOO!!

Greetings fellow Mechheads,
Today we are going to have a quick sit down and talk about the Solitaire.  When the mech first appeared Inner Sphere observers noted that it was full of new tech and higher end engines, skeleton, and armor composition.  While that’s all quite common to many Clan Toumans these traits were considered, at the time, somewhat of an anomaly for Clan Diamond Shark who designed the machine.

The Diamond Sharks are quite commonly referred to as the Merchant Clan due to the fact their merchants are always looking at the bottom line and profit that can be made from their product.  Whether that’s weapons of war or that ancient brew that aged well in the store rooms of a Castles Brain that was just won the other day that someone else will buy for substantial mark-up.  The design came into being in part because of the social upheaval that occurred in the aftermath of the clan’s defeat at the Battle of Tukayyid.

During Operations Revival and beyond the clan was led by Crusader-bent Khan Ian Hawker.  During his tenure he aimed to restructure the Clan more to focus on military conquest with everything else being a by-product (not very Shark like).  The Jade Falcons and Smoke Jaguars were the top of the Crusader food chain and Hawker wanted the Sharks to be a Clan worthy of the Shark totem's name-sake.  While those other Clans were experts at pulling off large victories, Hawker was more of little victories type of guy.  Eventually Hawker became so good at victories we don't talk about (surviving a massacre at Tukayyid, the Great Refusal and subsequent lose of exclusivity to the Hawker bloodname) that he stepped down from the Khanship (committed suicide).  Ian Hawker believed that with the Clan invasion repudiated that an era of peace would be ushered in and he felt he was unable to lead capably through this new period.  This allowed for greater sweeping reforms to be undertaken under now Khan Sennent and SaKhan Angus Labov previously Merchant Factor.

Capabilities:
While there were other designs that featured Heavy Lasers that came before its release in 3064, the Solitaire’s is the only designed from the ground up that would get pumped out in modest numbers up until the War of Reaving would bring that to a screeching halt.  Mechs are usually going to have the benefit of 2 traits consisting of speed, firepower, or armor.    Given the 25 tons of mass doesn’t allow for a filthy amount of armor, speed and the superior damage dealing weapons of the Clans give this mech the ability to wreck other units well above its weight class.

Heavy lasers were largely available to all Clans by 3064, most were deployed to units with OmniMechs and those were only made available to frontline Galaxies or officers in second line Galaxies.  The only other design that used Heavy lasers from the ground up was the Hellfire.  Even then the Hellfire was more of a factory refit of a Golden Century design that Clan Star Adder had in abundance to test out the weapon.  With Heavy lasers having a significantly reduced range the lack of speed the Hellfire possessed would make it nearly impossible to use in offensive action.

The Solitaire’s speed is what makes this design work.  Rather than be tied to some sort of static defense or clean up behind the main line force, the Solitaire is meant to use its speed to exploit weaknesses in the enemy line and sew chaos.  Topping out at 162kph, the mech was initially posted to Spina Galaxies for trials.  Spina Galaxies, while considered second line units, tend to be a bit better equipped and function as a jack of all trades/ready response force.  So it was then the Ice Hellions decided to test the Rho Spina and underestimated the abilities of the light mech until a Star of them shredded an elite Trinary.

There are 2 versions of the Solitaire the main weapon of a Large Heavy Laser backed up smaller Heavy Medium and Heavy Small Lasers.  The original design carries 2 Heavy Mediums and 1 Heavy Small Laser.  The Solitaire 2 developed later on simply drops one of the Heavy Mediums to install a MASC system for burst of speed.  10 Freezers allow the mech to either fire the Large laser or a combination of smaller weapons, however an alpha strike is very likely to induce a shut down of the engine.

The weakness of the mech is it only carries 4.5 tons of armor.  That’s really not any different though from any other 25 ton mech.  The main critique of the design’s armor placement is the left and right torso does not have sufficient armor on the front to take a Clan Large Laser hit without punching through the armor to the internals.  A lucky hit with a Pulse laser could destroy the biggest weapon in one shot.  Shifting a point of armor to the front from the back would fix this issue.

Post Jihad there are no further offshoots or unique refits of the design.  The Diamond Sharks and Ghost Bears are the only Clans or factions that possess the Solitaire in any large quantity with the gross share of the Bear mechs received as part of their bartered agreements in exchange for territory or other concessions prior to the Wars of Reaving.

The Solitaire was primarily produced at Auxiliary Production Site 4.  APS4 is both a production site in the Inner Sphere on Itabaiana and in Clan Space on Strato Domingo.  The Solitaire was built at the later and thus the sole line of production, should it still exist, would be in the possession of either Clan Star Adder or Clan Stone Lion.  Baring a future renewed Homeworld Clan invasion we are unlikely to see any new mass produced Solitaires with more advanced Improved Lasers or advanced armor that would make the design bigger monster than it already is.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: MOTW: Solitaire
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2020, 15:13:08 »
Nice write up.  From what i've glanced at the design was spread out more among the Inner Sphere factions, such as the Republic of the Sphere and later the "pirate"/splinter groups that popped up during the early years of the Post-Gray Monday.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2020, 15:19:10 »
I love this thing.  It's a nasty little mech, great for backstabbing. I've used it to take down heavy mechs multiple times.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2020, 15:28:00 »
Amusing, a miniature Hauptmann. I mean, look at it, and then look at the Hauptmann.

The 2 variant is definitively an improvement. The lasers generate so much heat that the additional lasers beyond the large are kinda useless, and heavy smalls have so little range they're utterly pointless (standard Clan ER small lasers are better).

Though even it can be improved, i'd ditch the secondary lasers completely, add a targeting computer and a light TAG.

A pity there are no more variants. Improved heavy lasers would be nice. Or a version that uses three or four heavy medium lasers only along with MASC.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2020, 15:52:01 »
Nice write up.  From what i've glanced at the design was spread out more among the Inner Sphere factions, such as the Republic of the Sphere and later the "pirate"/splinter groups that popped up during the early years of the Post-Gray Monday.
I was somewhat aware of that but never played MW:DA.  All the CBT resources I have (books, MUL, Sarna) never mention it in any considerable numbers for any other faction.  There was only one factory that ever produced the design and given it wasn't a large length of time, it's hard to fathom it was used in large numbers elsewhere unless TPTB every give us another official production site.

Amusing, a miniature Hauptmann. I mean, look at it, and then look at the Hauptmann.
I never looked at it that way.  I suppose I can see it.  I always viewed it an Dasher with an improved armor and weapon suite with no responsibility infantry it's freed up for general combat, rather than support or logistics.

The 2 variant is definitively an improvement. The lasers generate so much heat that the additional lasers beyond the large are kinda useless, and heavy smalls have so little range they're utterly pointless (standard Clan ER small lasers are better).

Though even it can be improved, i'd ditch the secondary lasers completely, add a targeting computer and a light TAG.

A pity there are no more variants. Improved heavy lasers would be nice. Or a version that uses three or four heavy medium lasers only along with MASC.
I largely agree with your assessment.  The outstanding issue with this is when you start making those sort of changes it drives the BV value on the Solitaire up.  So in a BV driven game, you typically want to get a 2 gunner in the cockpit.  That drives the BV up on the 2 to over 2k.  If you keep a 4 pilot then you still come in under 2k.  In Alpha strike before the PV revision these guys were cheap for the 3 damage and 1 OV they put out.  Post PV their cost ballooned by 63% because of how under costed they were.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2020, 15:56:54 »
I never looked at it that way.  I suppose I can see it.  I always viewed it an Dasher with an improved armor and weapon suite with no responsibility infantry it's freed up for general combat, rather than support or logistics.
I just looked at the art, and i had just finished tweaking my Hauptmann article. Reverse-jointed knees, big gun on the shoulder.
Functionally they obviously don't share anything except that they both have main gun on their shoulder.
I largely agree with your assessment.  The outstanding issue with this is when you start making those sort of changes it drives the BV value on the Solitaire up.  So in a BV driven game, you typically want to get a 2 gunner in the cockpit.  That drives the BV up on the 2 to over 2k.  If you keep a 4 pilot then you still come in under 2k.  In Alpha strike before the PV revision these guys were cheap for the 3 damage and 1 OV they put out.  Post PV their cost ballooned by 63% because of how under costed they were.
Geez, didn't take a look at the BV when i mocked up potential improvements. Hmm hmm, needs something to bring down the cost then...

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2020, 16:27:07 »
Geez, didn't take a look at the BV when i mocked up potential improvements. Hmm hmm, needs something to bring down the cost then...
I did a couple mock ups with advanced tech where I went with an Improved Heavy Laser and upgrades was around 1700+.  I didn't save that version because I wanted to see how far exactly I could stretch things and what I saved actually came in at BV of 2171.  I have to go out to the store so I'm going to have to post it later.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2020, 18:26:04 »
You can very easily use the large and medium lasers together. You just need to set yourself up to have a 12 hex straight line the next round to get away and cool down.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2020, 20:55:42 »
I was glancing though the Record Sheets for the Dark Age, namely RS: 3145 New Upgrade stuff and was disappointed that Solitaire never got additional variant.
Given time marches on, the Mech could have be still in production and perhap built on the Shark's ArcShips (exWarships) with the factories on them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2020, 00:39:08 »
The Solitaire is the much better Clan Version of the Panther. BF energy weapon with a high rate of speed. It's one of my favorite backstabbers.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2020, 01:27:56 »
I love the Solitaire, it's a beautiful little backstabber and I'm so happy the Ghost Bears are a primary user. It only has 1 job, and the enemy knows that, and thus what it will be trying to do, but it's so damn fast that it can often still do its job despite the enemy's efforts! :P  :smitten:
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2020, 09:13:51 »
TRO 3067 is my favorite TRO, and this mech is one of the reasons why. It’s fast, it hits hard, and it’s used by one of my favorite factions (Diamond Sharks.) I think my only complaint is one that other people have said, that it doesn’t get many variants, which seems to be a common theme for mechs from this era.

I’m also going to 100% pretend that my Ravens can use these since they trade a lot with the Bears and Shark Foxes.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2020, 04:30:15 »
Yeah, the Large & Med/Smalls are better set for bracket fire.

While the Sharks and Bears started out as the primary user, the Jihad left many on battlefields to be salvaged by others which is why you see the design spread around.  The Solitaire and Locust IIC design the Bears take from the Crusader Wolves give the Bears very fast and hard hitting light stars in secondline Clusters- even if they are not led by a Fire Moth.

As for production . . . the reason one site name has two locations?  The Sharks relocated and had a deal IIRC for Ibiatana so a decent interpretation was that they brought the design from the Homeworlds to be reproduced on a IS world- weird part is it would be one they were leasing for a bit from the Nova Cats?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2020, 14:26:15 »
A terrifying backstabber and a great write up :) This thing lives for the moment when it can go hooting and braying across the battlefield to zip round behind a big slow assault Mech, get into short range and apply lasers. If you're tempted you could press the big red button and flash fry the pilot, but what you hit will probably suffer a significant emotional event if you hit with the guns.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2020, 15:05:15 »
While you can use them against the other Clans I think the Heavy Lasers are worth more against the IS- especially since most of their line designs are 4/6 or slower.  With this in mind the HLL and HMLs work really well for the Bears vs the Dracs, rump Rassies, and ComGuard.  Simply the HLL's short range of 5 hexes lets a Solitaire stay outside of short range on MLs, ERMLs, and MPLs which you typically find in arms or pointed to the rear.  Besides having serious threats to the front which will keep a IS mech from turning too much, or at least add a +1 for secondary targets, what weapons can be pointed at the speedster are going to have horrible numbers.

Tactics to me would be of course to go for the backshot on something slow, 4/6 or better 3/5, and the first pass is JUST the HLL at 5 hexes . . . maybe 10 if the numbers are good enough.  The main thing is early in the engagement you are not throwing away the Solitaire . . . it has more value in the battle as a threat in being, especially in a combined arms battle.  A backstabber like the SIE can encourage your enemy to group up to cover each other's backs . . . and thus a herd of targets for non-homing artillery.  But if you can get a good set up for that single HLL hit, you of course want to go after something with a XL and/or ammo in that side torso.  A single 16 point hit on the rear of nearly any mech is going to go internal.  You get that rear torso hit, then you can sweep in to 3 (SHL) or 6 hexes to try to put more damage into that location fishing for the crit- or just XL side torso death for some designs.  Not many can take 26 points of damage to a side torso from the rear.

I just wish we had gotten a 3100+ Solitaire with Improved Heavy Lasers, just like all the Omni H configs with Heavy Lasers could have IH instead.

Hmm, maybe we can get a Solitaire II . . . XL Gyro?, Ferro-Lam armor, and Imp Heavy Lasers.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2020, 15:27:47 »
Well its a Diamond Shark/Sea Fox design, there's nothing stopping them from making an improved version.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2020, 15:40:15 »
Sure, fluff-wise its easy for them to do . . . have to get one out in material is the harder part.  Heck, do something like Solitaire (3105) or whatever date as a simple version with iHLs.

With the SharkFoxes selling Crimson Hawks, Ha Otoko, Warhammer IIC 4s (and more), Stalking Spider IIs, and other Clan designs they do not seem to care any more about what tech gets passed on.
Colt Ward

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2020, 17:31:22 »
As for production . . . the reason one site name has two locations?  The Sharks relocated and had a deal IIRC for Ibiatana so a decent interpretation was that they brought the design from the Homeworlds to be reproduced on a IS world- weird part is it would be one they were leasing for a bit from the Nova Cats?

Diamond Shark/Sea Fox and Clan Wolf for some reason like to reuse production site names.  I'd have to dig up  the Clan Wolf examples, but I'm to lazy and stressed atm from having to endlessly try to tech failed attempts at remoting into work today. For the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes Auxiliary Production Site 4 (APS 4) is both a production site in the Clan Homeworlds of Strato Domingo and the IS world of Itabaiana.  Nothing I could find in various searches through PDFs, WoR, or elsewhere indicates the Solitaire is produced on Itabaiana, or for that matter, anywhere else.  That's not to say it couldn't be produced there or elsewhere because the design certainly isn't extinct, there just isn't anything out there that can link the two together that I've seen.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2020, 17:41:49 »
Well its a Diamond Shark/Sea Fox design, there's nothing stopping them from making an improved version.

Started a design thread for anyone that wants to participate:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=68665.0

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2020, 18:22:12 »
I was somewhat aware of that but never played MW:DA.  All the CBT resources I have (books, MUL, Sarna) never mention it in any considerable numbers for any other faction.  There was only one factory that ever produced the design and given it wasn't a large length of time, it's hard to fathom it was used in large numbers elsewhere unless TPTB every give us another official production site.
i don't remember there being many of them, but i'd have to check Warrenborn.com to be sure.

doing so nets us this: [Link].
more than i remember, but not so many that i'd be willing to call them common or widespread.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2020, 18:54:35 »
I want to say we had a few appearances as filler in MWDA fiction too.

As for the production site, I was just commenting that it could have been one the Sharks moved what they could though they may not have restarted Solitaire production- perhaps it was transitioned to Crimson Hawks since they sold those across the IS.
Colt Ward