Author Topic: Combat Manual Mercenaries preview  (Read 18402 times)

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
Re: Combat Manual Mercenaries preview
« Reply #60 on: 05 November 2015, 23:11:08 »
Special Command Ability: Highlander Burial
'Nuff said. O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 05 November 2015, 23:23:19 »
Great book, wonderful art.  The nuClassics inclusion in the Mini-TRO was stroke of icing on the cake.

I wish Team Banzai had made the cut into the book.

Quick Question: CGR-SB Charger wasn't included in the merc listing of variants.  I take it faction specific?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #62 on: 05 November 2015, 23:46:52 »
I wish Team Banzai had made the cut into the book.

I'm pretty sure that's the unit Ray was talking about when he said that there was one group that would be problematic, and so was left out. There's homage, and then there's straight-up IP abuse.

Quick Question: CGR-SB Charger wasn't included in the merc listing of variants.  I take it faction specific?

Per the MUL, it's Lyran only in the Late SW era. It should be FedCom/Lyran/Merc in the Early Clan Invasion.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 23:49:39 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 06 November 2015, 01:47:28 »
I'm looking over how to use FP, and notice that you can put Unique Pilots, SPAs, Lance Abilities, and Unit Abilities all in the same company.

I'm... not entirely sure, but I think it may actually be possible for some of those pilots to end up with eight or nine abilities if you put them together right.

Which is hilarious and I love it.  Putting the Black Widow in the Black Widow Company, leading in her Command Lance, you can end up with Ms. Kerensky having:

Demoralizer
Iron Will (Enhanced)
Lucky (1)
Tactical Genius
Berserker
Tactical Adjustments
Tactical Expert (Hidden Units)
Off-Map Movement

:o

As far as I can tell, that's the "canon" Natasha Kerensky in Alpha Strike as part of the Black Widows.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #64 on: 06 November 2015, 02:07:24 »
Not quite, you're giving her too many Special Command Abilities. As an Elite-level force, the Black Widows get three SCAs, chosen from the Wolf's Dragoons and/or Black Widow Company/Battalion lists. Natasha, on her own, only gets her Special Pilot Abilities (SPA). In command of the Widows' Command Lance, she would also get Tactical Genius as a Bonus Special Pilot Ability (BSPA).

The proper list would be:

Demoralizer (SPA)
Iron Will+ (SPA)
Lucky (1) (SPA)
Tactical Genius (if designated commander of the force) (BSPA)
...plus three of the following SCAs: Berserkers, Tactical Adustment, Tactical Expert (Hidden Units), Off-Map Movement, Espirit de Corps, and/or Communications Disruption
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 06 November 2015, 02:18:09 »
Ahhh, I missed that part.  So it's only seven, instead of the eight I had.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #66 on: 06 November 2015, 08:20:06 »
Which is really no less rediculous. She is still going to stomp all over something...
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 06 November 2015, 10:02:04 »
Per the MUL, it's Lyran only in the Late SW era. It should be FedCom/Lyran/Merc in the Early Clan Invasion.
Which is odd, given the only appearance of what appears to be a CGR-SB (though only identified as a "modified Charger") in canon is in the Black Widow Battalion as per More Tales of the Black Widow, and the original BattleTechnology writeup credits the design to a merc unit in Federated Suns employ named the Hat in the Ring Battalion that isn't ever mentioned again.

(The canonisation of the CGR-SB occurred in a Record Sheets publication, and came without fluff; BattleTechnology as such is apocryphal and so is the fluff it presented.)
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 10:05:20 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #68 on: 06 November 2015, 10:12:23 »
Which is really no less rediculous. She is still going to stomp all over something...
She driving a stock Warhammer 6R.  She going need all the help she can get to survive.  She awesome pilot, but she was known for being a reaper on the battlefield.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 06 November 2015, 15:27:34 »
Combat Manual, Army Book, Codex, whatever you wanted to call it. I feel that this book was spot on for delivering flavor, some awesome flavorful rules (Lone Wolves, I'm looking at you) and a wide breadth of options that deliver for both the "Get it and Go" crowd to the BT universe fans who want to fine tune their force.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #70 on: 06 November 2015, 15:57:32 »
Question on Faction Points

How does one determine the actual cost for Faction Points? If for example I choose a mech not on the List, say for example a Mad Cat/TBR-C for early Clan Invasion, how does one determine the actual FP cost for it? Is it 1, 2, 5, more?
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #71 on: 06 November 2015, 16:15:34 »
Question on Faction Points

How does one determine the actual cost for Faction Points? If for example I choose a mech not on the List, say for example a Mad Cat/TBR-C for early Clan Invasion, how does one determine the actual FP cost for it? Is it 1, 2, 5, more?

See the Mercenary Availability Lists Table on pg. 84.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 06 November 2015, 16:16:51 »
p84.
Your Combat Command (Northwind Highlanders for an example) has access to the General Availability List and the Mercenary Availability List for 0 FPs, that goes for all mercs.  The Northwind Highlanders then have Liao (late succession wars), Davion (Early Clan Invasion), Davion (Late Succession Wars) and Kurita (Late Succession Wars).
As there is no Clans listed, they would not have access to any Mad Cats.
The actual Liao, Davion, Kurita lists would be in the Liao, Davion and Kurita Combat Manuals.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #73 on: 06 November 2015, 16:18:43 »
The actual Liao, Davion, Kurita lists would be in the Liao, Davion and Kurita Combat Manuals.

Or you could use the MUL for the specified periods, which should be mentioned in the text somewhere.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 06 November 2015, 16:22:29 »
Or you could use the MUL for the specified periods, which should be mentioned in the text somewhere.

They are not the same.  The MUL Faction Availability lists are more lenient and more specific.  For example, the MUL already gives Clan salvage to factions (in later eras).  The Combat Manuals wouldn't put Daishis on any House list.  It would only be via paying FPs to access a Clan availability list.
The Combat Manuals also do decide access to allied equipment (or salvage) for each individual unit.  You either have access to Steiner 'mechs or you don't. 

A major point of the Combat Manuals is giving a different look at faction availability than the MUL does.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 06 November 2015, 16:24:07 »
p84.
Your Combat Command (Northwind Highlanders for an example) has access to the General Availability List and the Mercenary Availability List for 0 FPs, that goes for all mercs.  The Northwind Highlanders then have Liao (late succession wars), Davion (Early Clan Invasion), Davion (Late Succession Wars) and Kurita (Late Succession Wars).
As there is no Clans listed, they would not have access to any Mad Cats.

OK, Cool.

So, big question then, I am running a Jihad Era Merc Campaign, any insight into how I would set up my own style of access?

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 06 November 2015, 16:28:17 »
They are not the same.  The MUL Faction Availability lists are more lenient and more specific.  For example, the MUL already gives Clan salvage to factions (in later eras).  The Combat Manuals wouldn't put Daishis on any House list.  It would only be via paying FPs to access a Clan availability list.
The Combat Manuals also do decide access to allied equipment (or salvage) for each individual unit.  You either have access to Steiner 'mechs or you don't. 

A major point of the Combat Manuals is giving a different look at faction availability than the MUL does.

Begging the question "when can we have them?!?!?"   ;D

Seriously though, until they come out, isn't the MUL Faction Availability the only guidance we have?

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #77 on: 06 November 2015, 16:34:39 »
Anyone care to post a list of the Merc companies being covered in this book?
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 06 November 2015, 16:38:43 »
Other than all the individual sourcebooks (technical readouts, etc), yes.

I'm just saying the Combat Manual isn't going to say use the MUL (for faction availability), and breaks the series in doing so.  Especially once it's in print and not just PDF. 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 06 November 2015, 16:39:06 »
Anyone care to post a list of the Merc companies being covered in this book?

The preview on DriveThruRPG has the table of contents listing them all.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 06 November 2015, 16:56:00 »
OK, Cool.

So, big question then, I am running a Jihad Era Merc Campaign, any insight into how I would set up my own style of access?

Most of MUL mercenary list would be 0 FPs.  Your employer, if you've been with them long enough or set up a contract with them in your campaign that says they sell to you, would give you access to their production for 2 FPs.  Salvage would be whatever you've played through and gotten.  If you're trying to decide what an opfor might have salvaged? Pick a common enemy and access would be 3 FPs for those.  by the Jihad era, I'd give older 'mechs a 1 FPs cost, unless the force was meant as a poor force, and then i'd give new mechs a 2 FP.   IE. They are either a well equipped force with 0 FP cost for Civil War/Jihad era IS General/Mercenary units and 2 FP cost for Succession Wars/Clan Invasion era units, or they are a poorly equipped force with 0 FP cost for Succession Wars/Clan Invasion era units and 2 FP cost for Civil War/Jihad era IS General/Mercenary units. 

And "spot check" individual units.  Mercenary list in the Jihad era has some 'mechs that were granted by Word of Blake.  If you're not working for Word of Blake, don't pick those.  Clan 'mechs would be 3 FPs (from a presumed common enemy), even if on IS General or Mercenary.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 06 November 2015, 17:04:01 »
The preview on DriveThruRPG has the table of contents listing them all.

ergo, a LOT of them.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #82 on: 06 November 2015, 17:20:18 »
Most of MUL mercenary list would be 0 FPs.  Your employer, if you've been with them long enough or set up a contract with them in your campaign that says they sell to you, would give you access to their production for 2 FPs.  Salvage would be whatever you've played through and gotten.  If you're trying to decide what an opfor might have salvaged? Pick a common enemy and access would be 3 FPs for those.  by the Jihad era, I'd give older 'mechs a 1 FPs cost, unless the force was meant as a poor force, and then i'd give new mechs a 2 FP.   IE. They are either a well equipped force with 0 FP cost for Civil War/Jihad era IS General/Mercenary units and 2 FP cost for Succession Wars/Clan Invasion era units, or they are a poorly equipped force with 0 FP cost for Succession Wars/Clan Invasion era units and 2 FP cost for Civil War/Jihad era IS General/Mercenary units. 

And "spot check" individual units.  Mercenary list in the Jihad era has some 'mechs that were granted by Word of Blake.  If you're not working for Word of Blake, don't pick those.  Clan 'mechs would be 3 FPs (from a presumed common enemy), even if on IS General or Mercenary.

Thanx.

So, using the TOTAL CAMPAIGN Campaign guide, the employer is Interstellar Operations, not really affiliated with anyone. So Most IS General mechs would be 0-1 points, while Clan mechs would fall into the 2-3 FP, and anything WoB (the big bad enemy of the Campaign) would be Unavailbale except for Salvage.

Just looking to set up a rough table should the players need to purchase mechs/vehicles for replacement and unsuccessful in Salvage.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #83 on: 06 November 2015, 17:51:23 »
Other than all the individual sourcebooks (technical readouts, etc), yes.

I'm just saying the Combat Manual isn't going to say use the MUL (for faction availability), and breaks the series in doing so.  Especially once it's in print and not just PDF.

This frankly makes me uncomfortable. The MUL has been a decade in development, and this is precisely where it should be the most useful. If it's a problem that its criteria for faction availability are too inclusive, then the MUL should be revised. It's going to be a very, very long time - if ever - before every faction has a printed list for every time period, but the MUL is the perfect vehicle to propagate such information.

In a nutshell, instead of guidelines for producing fan, flavorful forces, you've introduced straightjackets. Sure, I can pick any units I want and play with them, but my opponent will have all sorts of extra advantages if he chose to stick perfectly to your rules...which don't meaningfully restrict him from producing "munchkin" forces. Indeed, by carefully picking what faction and command he wants, he can force all sorts of special rules onto the table, while I'd be restricted to what's written on my unit cards.

I very strongly recommend that an allowance for those who wish to use the full MUL be made. It can be as simple as, "More units are listed for each faction on the Master Unit List, representing decades and centuries of salvage from their enemies as well as units on the open market. Players may choose from these extra units, but are limited to one per lance, must pay 2 (or 3) FP for each, and may not choose any units from their Allied and/or Enemy lists."

Similarly, there should be a mechanism for people who create custom units to choose their own Special Command Abilities rather than being forced to randomly roll them. If I make up my own mercenary unit, I should be able to know in advance what sorts of abilities I can use, rather than being surprised when I reach the table with something like Zone of Control when fielding an all-Light force. Call it 3-4 FP to straight-up purchase SCAs, which gives choices without leaving a custom force at the mercy of the dice.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 06 November 2015, 18:01:15 »
As always, rule #1 applies.

That said, if the MUL does not accurately reflect availability, and these books are more restrictive than the same lists on the MUL, something is wrong.  I'm not saying Clan salvage should be free of it's on your list, but there had to be a middle ground.

I'd handle it in the meantime with something like the unit that has Royals in their command unit.  2 or 3 FP to use Clan salvage (which sounds awfully like what already happens with allies and enemies, honestly).

Either the MUL or the Manuals definitely need to change, though.  Conflicting information in two current sources is bad for new players, and confusing for old ones.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 06 November 2015, 18:05:21 »
The random rolls were intended for faceless opfors or supplemental forces (henchmen) not home campaign PC mercs. 
The book is about making faction flavored forces for existing canon factions, I can't tell you what the faction you made up should have?  That's like asking me to list your home rules? 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 06 November 2015, 18:13:43 »
As always, rule #1 applies.

That said, if the MUL does not accurately reflect availability, and these books are more restrictive than the same lists on the MUL, something is wrong.  I'm not saying Clan salvage should be free of it's on your list, but there had to be a middle ground.

I'd handle it in the meantime with something like the unit that has Royals in their command unit.  2 or 3 FP to use Clan salvage (which sounds awfully like what already happens with allies and enemies, honestly).

Either the MUL or the Manuals definitely need to change, though.  Conflicting information in two current sources is bad for new players, and confusing for old ones.

The MUL never made RATs go away.  There has always been room for different systems before.
Nobody ever said the MUL was wrong.  Don't put words in my mouth.  I said it was different.  There are some ways it is better, and some I think it is worse. 

The way the MUL is set up now, it has burned through volunteers for years now.  And still is what, maybe half complete?  Got a great third generation of volunteers working on it and they are doing great work, but it's still how many years?  And what does it tell you?  A company of Daishis is a "legal" Davion force?  Or a regiment?
I have attempted to make an easier to create/update system that is more interesting and useful.  Maybe I have or maybe not, but I'm not going to demand the MUL throw out their work.  Or that players can't use those availabilities if they prefer.  No more than I'd demand RATs be disposed of.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 06 November 2015, 18:20:59 »
No need to get defensive (If that wasn't defensive, it definitely sounds like it through text).  An all Daishi list for Davion probably should be legal, because Catalyst should not be in the business of telling people that their forces are not legal.  These should, above all else, be optional fun for everyone, not a straight jacket that just be adhered to.

The obvious solution (to me) is to include a note or footnote on the tables noting units that are not rare, per se, but are harder to find in a given faction even if they are available.  Clan salvage, certainly, would fit that criteria. Have them cost FP, or limit numbers per company, or what have you.  But saying "no, you can't have this" when all of Battletech for decades had said literally the opposite didn't strike me as a good idea.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #88 on: 06 November 2015, 18:53:16 »
I understand the reasoning, I just don't think this new system works as intended. Luckily, I don't think it needs to be thrown out; some simple tweaks to restore player choices are all I feel it needs.

The alternative is to have wasted page count on something people are automatically going to discard.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #89 on: 06 November 2015, 19:45:15 »
I understand the reasoning, I just don't think this new system works as intended. Luckily, I don't think it needs to be thrown out; some simple tweaks to restore player choices are all I feel it needs.

The alternative is to have wasted page count on something people are automatically going to discard.

My thoughts are... Older players, yeah, we'll likely throw out the heavier-handed rules when we need to. I don't think the newer players, who have asked for faction specific unit lists, are going to do that. I really think they are the target market for this section, more than those of us who have been here for years. And that's not a bad thing.

I would have preferred something a little more robust for the "make your own" Mercenary group beyond, "Roll on this chart for your command special abilities." I would have considered making them cost Faction Points. So you can have a lot of out of faction equipment, or you can have exactly the CSA you want. Take your pick. The other thing I'd have done for non-Canon commands is have the player select a Contract first, which tells you what your Ally and Enemies would be for purposes for unit availability, rather than saying, "Because you want to have your own toys instead of ours, you get heavier restrictions." Plus that would give the command more flavor.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 19:51:20 by Azakael »