Author Topic: input wanted on creating an artillery lance  (Read 2423 times)

bastion1

• Private
input wanted on creating an artillery lance
« on: 21 December 2015, 19:55:00 »
So I'm trying to create an artillery lance for a company I'm building. I'm looking for input on what to put in the lance. I'm not sure on whether to do pure artillery or to include a couple units for air defense and the like. As a little back ground, the company this lance is supporting is made up of 2 heavy/ assault mech lances, 2 mechanized infantry platoons ( each supported by 1 heavy tank), and a medium aerospace fighter flight.  This artillery lance will probably wind up getting used both on and off board, and there will be more to this force eventually, but for now this is what I'm working with.

Any ideas?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: input wanted on creating an artillery lance
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2015, 22:16:48 »
What era(s) are you using?

bastion1

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2015, 05:24:07 »
Late succession wars. About 3046

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2015, 08:31:31 »
Whats your construction method?  C-Bills?  PVs?  Tonnage?
How much [cost-wise] have you already spent on your background units?  Is there a combined limit, or are you looking at building a completely stand-alone formation to support the primary force?
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2015, 08:47:36 »
Click me to link to the MUL

In case my link doesn't work (timer issue to reset), go here:  http://masterunitlist.info/
. click "Units" tab
. click on "Alpha Strike" tab to open a sub-menu
. . in the "Abilities" box, type in "ART" 
. scroll down and click "Availability Era" tab to open up another sub-menu
. . click the check box for "Late Succession War - Renaissance"
. click "Filter"

8 combat vehicles that are available per my list.  I'm not an expert on the era, so I will defer to other posters (once they start pouring in to correct me)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2015, 09:52:56 »
The Karnov definitely stands out for cheap (PV) and utility.  Especially for off-board use, cheap is best.
The only problem is fluff.  The Karnov artillery is a rumored variant "no confirmed sighting exists."  Gameplay wise, the Karnov is an excellent choice, story wise, it's doesn't fit.

Chaparral, Padilla and Thor are Comstar only.  So scratch those off the list.

That leves:
Snipers - Ballista, Marksman
Thumper - Thumper AV
Long Tom - Mobile Long Tom

The Long Tom wins with those.  Blast radius and damage, it's a winner.  For 28PV (versus the lowest non-Karnov of 20 PV), that blast radius and damage is well worth it.  I might even take one Mobile Long Tom over three Karnovs (I'd use the Karnovs for direct fire over the mobile long tom, since they are harder to hit and three of them can take more hits, but I'd never take the Karnovs over the Mobile Long Tom for off-board, blast radius is everything there).

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

bastion1

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2015, 11:22:07 »
Ok so I'm not really using any kind of purchasing method, I'm just assembling a force for the Combines Ryuken-ni. I'm using whatever units I want really. So any options are good options.

I like the look of using the mobile long tom. The blast radii together could devastate an area. Would it be wise to go with 4 long toms in the lance or should I include at least one unit that can provide close range/ air defense?  I'm leaning towards 4 long toms. The lance is meant for the sole purpose of supporting an assault, and eventually there will be other lances that could be stationed with the artillery

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2015, 11:55:22 »
I'm a big fan of the Ballista's toughness... it can survive most airstrikes or trust its armor long enough for rescue from a successful flank attack.

But if its 21 PV are hard to fit in your company, you can get some cheap field artillery for only 9PV.  It has a smaller gun (thumpers only do 1 damage) and is pretty much instagibbed by whatever hits it, but again its selling point is that it's only 9 PV.

If you're using the standard artillery rules instead of the advanced rules, 2 shots at 1 damage each are better than 1 shot at 2 anyway... since they can double up on the same spotter's POI and not be all-or-nothing attacks.

Ok so I'm not really using any kind of purchasing method, I'm just assembling a force for the Combines Ryuken-ni. I'm using whatever units I want really. So any options are good options.

Well if PV is no concern, then there's no substitute for Long Toms. :)  If you end up playing in later eras, I have to suggest taking a look at the thing of beauty that is the Teppō.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2015, 11:59:35 by Tai Dai Cultist »

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2015, 16:11:14 »
Teppo has my vote as well, though the Paladin Defense (tank) is one unit that has earned my respect (faced off against a pair of these sent my forces packing quickly)

Whichever route you choose... good luck!

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2015, 16:56:56 »
...The Long Tom wins with those.  Blast radius and damage, it's a winner.  For 28PV (versus the lowest non-Karnov of 20 PV), that blast radius and damage is well worth it.  I might even take one Mobile Long Tom over three Karnovs (I'd use the Karnovs for direct fire over the mobile long tom, since they are harder to hit and three of them can take more hits, but I'd never take the Karnovs over the Mobile Long Tom for off-board, blast radius is everything there).

Just curious about how others interpret units.

The Long Tom is the classic stalwart artillery piece but should the vehicle not also be used with the Support and Ammunition Carriages (5 PV each, iirc) raising Long Tom cost to 38 PV? Or are these carriages built in to the 28 PV?

Cheers.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2015, 17:45:07 »
Just curious about how others interpret units.

The Long Tom is the classic stalwart artillery piece but should the vehicle not also be used with the Support and Ammunition Carriages (5 PV each, iirc) raising Long Tom cost to 38 PV? Or are these carriages built in to the 28 PV?

Cheers.

Whatxs true in CBT doesn't necessarily carry over to Alpha Strike.  There's nothing on the AS card for the Long Tom that indicates it needs the ammo trailer.  Maybe it's worth submitting for errata.  Of course, in GM run campaign play, the GM can do whatever he wants, including requiring the trailer.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2015, 18:00:31 »
The TW mobile long Tom doesn't need the ammo carriage anymore either.  It was errated, because there never were any rules for sharing ammo between them anyway.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register