Author Topic: 2012-12-05 Zero Signal [Alex Fauth]  (Read 4171 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2012-12-05 Zero Signal [Alex Fauth]
« on: 05 December 2012, 02:56:36 »
"It’s just one HPG. It’s not the end of the world."

When the HPG grid goes down on Gray Monday, a down-on-his-luck civilian must choose sides in the approaching conflict.

[era]DA[/era]

Frabby

• Major
Re: 2012-12-05 Zero Signal [Alex Fauth]
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2012, 07:48:30 »
Great story!

I can't even put my finger on why I like it so much. Probably because it captures the desolate mood of the Dark Age so well; it certainly sets the tone, and I like the sublime way it goes about showcasing how it all went to hell.
Probably feels so strikingly "real" because of the similar real world problems we're facing these days. It just connects.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2012, 09:51:16 »
I'm happy to have seen the new fiction alert email in my box.
I will be reading this when I get home.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Berkyjay

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2012, 16:20:49 »
This just cheeses me off to no end.  I renew my subscription just to get the new Dark Age story....which I still had to pay for even with my subscription...wtf?.  Then I keep it going for another month waiting on new fiction and NOTHING....I'm sorry, one lousy story that which was part two of a series which I didn't have access to.  This is the third time I've gotten burned by Battlecorp and I am not doing it ever again.  This model is so messed up and it alienates fans...at least those of us who don't have the money to waste on overpaying for digital short stories.  I mean, you can't even go to the forums without a subscription.  So there is no place to voice my opinion except here. 

Just make all the damn stories available for purchase on Battleshop.  I bet they make a lot more money than the scam they are running now.  Keep the subscription if you like, offer exclusives to those who subscribe, but don't ask me to pay $10 just for the privilege of shopping at your store.

This has me so upset that I think I might be done with Battletech for good.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2012, 17:48:38 »
Great story!

I can't even put my finger on why I like it so much. Probably because it captures the desolate mood of the Dark Age so well; it certainly sets the tone, and I like the sublime way it goes about showcasing how it all went to hell.
Probably feels so strikingly "real" because of the similar real world problems we're facing these days. It just connects.

Thanks for that.

When I was writing it, I was actually drawing on personal experiences in a few cases. It seems strange, but I think that added a lot to the overall fell of the narrative.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2012, 04:41:02 »
This has me so upset that I think I might be done with Battletech for good.
I always purchase 6-month subscriptions, which goes a long way to solve the problem imho. Not only does this cut monthly cost by almost a quarter, a six-month timeframe also ensures you don't fall into a "hole" with a 1-month subscription.
As far as I understand, you always get around a month of back fiction too when you subscribe, and assuming this to be accurate I wouldn't agree with your perception of getting no value out of a subscription at all.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2012, 07:13:22 »
Thanks for that.

When I was writing it, I was actually drawing on personal experiences in a few cases. It seems strange, but I think that added a lot to the overall fell of the narrative.

This is what writing is about.  It's what makes a story feel real, and is exactly what is meant when people tell you to write what you know.  I do it with my writing all the time.  I've let my sub lapse so I won't be able to give you feedback on the story, but you now know one of the secrets of good writing - personal experience. O0

Berkyjay

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2012, 14:58:21 »
I always purchase 6-month subscriptions, which goes a long way to solve the problem imho. Not only does this cut monthly cost by almost a quarter, a six-month timeframe also ensures you don't fall into a "hole" with a 1-month subscription.
As far as I understand, you always get around a month of back fiction too when you subscribe, and assuming this to be accurate I wouldn't agree with your perception of getting no value out of a subscription at all.

I can't justify dropping money for a 6 month substitution without some guarantee that there will be released material within that time frame.  BC won't and or can't give that guarantee.  I think it's best that they just drop the subscription model until a point in time where they have the resources and infrastructure to provide a consistent product worth a monthly subscription.  If they just opened up the Battleshop to everyone to buy the stories if would be fair to everyone and they would probably reach more fans....which is sorely needed right now.  I would love to read this story, but until it is available outside of the subscription I will never get to.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2012, 15:32:33 »
I finally printed and read this on the train ride home.
Overall it is a decent primer to the Dark Age setting, in fact I would go as far to say this should be in the sampler file if they ever update it.

Gaspar seems to adjust easier to the new chaos going around, Luc's situation would be interesting to read further on.
This story would be something I give to one of my friends who doesn't understand the "big stompy robot" aspect of Battletech.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2012, 23:23:30 »
Just before I read this story, I read a story about current civil strife in Belfast.  This story thus ended seeming to me very close to real life in terms of anger and fear lurking beneath the surface that can come violently to the fore.  It's a very good story, too, and that helped me make the connection.
To the utmost!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2012, 16:15:05 »
Personally i am not that interested in the DA era.
But it was a well written and interesting piece that sets a good intro to the DA.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2013, 17:53:26 »
Yeah DA is not my first choice, I did read this one.  It was really good!  I was feeling bad for the main character by the end.  This story did seem to be like his life had turned into a country song...

Register