Author Topic: Photographing minis?  (Read 4150 times)

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
Photographing minis?
« on: 31 October 2019, 14:09:34 »
I’ve recently finished some mechs I’d like to post.  Can anyone post a link or explain to me how to take better photographs of miniatures?

I’ve read about building a light box and may give it a go.  Suggestions?  Thanks!
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Luciora

• Major
Re: Photographing minis?
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2019, 14:45:09 »
Natural indirect light on a neutral surface is a good start.  You don't want a cluttered background to detract from the focus.  A sheet and something to drape it on is a good basic setup.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2019, 15:49:12 »
Games Workshop does have a good article on miniature photography on their Community website:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2019, 15:50:50 »
Thanks for the resources guys!
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2019, 16:32:03 »
Biggest tip - use digital zoom, take your photos from at least a meter (yard) away, and then crop the 'empty space' off the image.

This deepens the focal plane, so that all of the area around your mini is in focus. Also essential for taking a pic of multiple minis.

One other thing I swear by - I have a lamp that's a rectangular strip about 1"x15" of LEDs. Gives a great diffused light. It's equally essential for my painting - it can sit almost between my eyes and my hands, giving great lighting - and for pictures.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2019, 18:38:02 »
Biggest tip - use digital zoom
Optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless. With digital you're just as well off taking the picture at full resolution without zoom and then enlarging it on your computer.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2019, 16:49:02 »
I'd like to offer up two videos to those who want to take better photographs:

This first one, I'll summarize the advice as use a curved piece of paper as a backdrop, shoot next to natural light, and learn your camera's settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZtE6HWXg0E

The second one is for more professional photos and is a lot about what to buy to enhance your photography.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ7g9DatLpI

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2019, 14:15:26 »
Optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless. With digital you're just as well off taking the picture at full resolution without zoom and then enlarging it on your computer.

Correct. What they call 'digital zoom' is basically a fancy kind of pre-cropping.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Register