Author Topic: Tabletop Integration Primary Skills Table  (Read 2675 times)

drjones

• Master Sergeant
Tabletop Integration Primary Skills Table
« on: 10 November 2022, 12:45:17 »
Continuing to examine what broke during my group's recent attempt at character generation, the table for converting skills from Destiny to the table top (pg. 175) caught my eye. The translation isn't one-to-one; two possible totalled reflexes and RPG skill can translate to the same table top skill. The table seems like it could be weighted further in favor of requiring higher RFL+skill to improve the table top skill. Also, at the high end it seems odd that three possible combinations of RFL+skill could result in a table top skill of 0; I'd think that  a table top skill of 0 would more naturally result only from RFL and skill of six each (i.e. one possibility, a total of 12, alone would result in table top skill 0).

drjones

• Master Sergeant
Re: Tabletop Integration Primary Skills Table
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2022, 09:51:55 »
I'm continuing to think about this and may see if I can put some numbers to the concept. If nothing else, it (along with different limits on initial skills) might put chargen back on the rails in my group.

drjones

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2022, 22:45:35 »
Having thought about this some more, here's my best stab at a revised table that I think might help with gaming character generation and the oddity of multiple results producing a tabletop skill of zero.

Attr+SkillPilotingGunnery

drjones

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2023, 09:35:19 »
Thinking about this some more, I saw a possible reason why the table has three combinations resulting in the best possible tabletop skill value; there may be a practical maximum to those abilities and you can get there either by superior attributes or superior skills -- you don't need both. Keeping both that philosophy and an adjustment to help with overpowered beginning characters would require some rethinking on how to modify the table.

Register