Author Topic: Last USS ARIZONA Survivor Has Passed  (Read 261 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Last USS ARIZONA Survivor Has Passed
« on: 01 April 2024, 20:03:48 »
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/01/last-survivor-uss-arizona-pearl-harbor-attack-dies-00150026

He went on to a commission, flight wings, and 200 combat missions during the war... including one where he was shot down and had to contend with sharks in the water.

I think I'm more amazed that he basically invented SERE school, and only made LCDR...

A sad day, and his perspective will be missed... :/

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Re: Last USS ARIZONA Survivor Has Passed
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2024, 20:45:15 »
*stands, turns west... SALUTE!* Nuff said. Not enough Can be said...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2024, 23:21:54 »
Rip one of the greatest generation..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2024, 07:44:19 »
Very sad day, RIP.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2024, 11:02:14 »
RIP...
To a man who did more then most in this life.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2024, 15:02:46 »
My grandpa was on one of the boats that sunk one of the first Japanese mini-subs.

I interviewed him for high-school once; he said they radioed it in, but no one got back to them, and if your teacher has a problem with that, here's my number; and he proceeded to write his phone-number on my paper.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2024, 17:46:54 »
Your grandpa was AWESOME!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2024, 18:48:47 »
Hand SALUTE,

Ready, TO!

V/R
GMC
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2024, 10:19:53 »
I was reading a paper a few days ago about the Arizona- well, about her generation of battleships, she was a part of it- and what their fates were going to be if WWII hadn't started when it did. The first wave of retirements would have come with the South Dakota-class ships reaching full service in 1942-43, and would have consisted of the Arkansas, New York, Texas, and Oklahoma (this due to her triple-expansion engines making her slower than the turbine-powered ships like her sister). These would have been roughly on a one-for-one basis as the South Dakotas came online.

The Iowas would have had little effect, due to their not operating as part of the battle line anyway, but as Montana-class ships began arriving, another wave of retirements would have seen Nevada, both Pennsylvanias, and all three New Mexicos head to retirement (Arizona included, of course). This likely would have entailed a situation similar to what we actually saw with some retirements in that day- the example given was the training ship Wyoming, which was put to rest at the end of the war- her crew packed up their belongings, walked down the gangplank for the last time, across the pier, and up the gangplank to their new ship, the Mississippi (which had just retired from active service to take over the gunnery school role). The plan, then, would be for Arizona's crew at some point to leave their ship and transfer aboard as the core of the new crew of a Montana.

It made for interesting thinking, as I read about the last Arizona crewmember leaving us, to wonder what might have been if things had gone differently. Would a Montana have survived the kind of hits that sank Arizona, what would the war look like with this different battle line (and of course with Japan also building new toys)... and would we remember the Arizona at all, retired and spending this hypothetical late-1940s war in mothballs or already cut up for steel, as anything other than a historical footnote?

Of course, no musing like that is complete without acknowledging the men who make a ship like that a fighting unit, rather than a collection of steel plates and parts. Condolences to his family, and with the last of them gone may their sould be at peace.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2024, 16:21:14 »
Another of the greatest generation to leave us. RIP sir, thank you for your service.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2024, 17:54:37 »
102 years old. Wow. That's quite a run.

On December 7th,1941 outside of Battleship row in a dry dock was the USS Pennsylvania with the
destroyers Cassin and Downes.

The story I got from family was that my grandfather's twin brother was one of the AA gunners
on  BB38 on that day. He was caught in the explosion of the Downes.

Everyone wanted revenge.
My grandfather and all of his brothers wanted to go to the Pacific Theatre .
Our family are Pennsylvania Dutch-which is actually German.
At that point even though we've been here for centuries we learned German before English
so all of the brothers were fluent in German.
All got sent to the European theatre because they were far more useful reading,writing,and talking German.
He was involved with some of the radio communications espionage of the time prior to D-Day.
My grandfather wound up on the second wave ashore  in the invasion of Normandy to translate any found
documents and talk with important prisoners. He did that while traveling with high level officers
all the way to Berlin. Helped feed bad info to the right people on the other side with a convincing accent.

Boy did he have some stories to tell.  Wish he would have written them all down.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2024, 17:57:03 by House Davie Merc »