Author Topic: Fire & Heat - Order of operation & rule exploit  (Read 836 times)

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Fire & Heat - Order of operation & rule exploit
« on: 29 May 2024, 15:41:24 »
Ok, so I'm planning a scenario using Infernos. Based on what I'm reading (ASCE p167), you can target a 2" area rather than the unit. I plan on aiming at the woods rather than the unit. When does the fire affect the unit occupying the woods?

For example: Round 1, a Locust occupies woods and has a T# 11 at Medium Range (Skill 4 + TMM 4 + Range 2 + Woods 1). Instead, I aim at the woods for T# 2 (Skill 4 + Range 2 - Immobile 4). Since it is an inferno, the area automatically fills with 2" template of fire and heavy smoke (+2).

The current rule only states that units take heat damage when they "enter or move through" fire. Does setting a fire that envelops a unit count as "entering" the fire and does that get resolved at the end of Round 1 or the beginning of Round 2? If it happens end of Round 1, does exiting the fire on Round 2 count as "moving through" the fire, thus building up a 2nd point of heat?

From a "fairness" point of view, I would think that only exiting the fire on Round 2 would generate the heat, but the current rules appear to support applying heat both Round 1 and Round 2 for a total of 2 heat from a single attack.

Thanks!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Fire & Heat - Order of operation & rule exploit
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2024, 18:44:45 »
p167 is Fire and Smoke.  It's an optional rule, so there is no fire at all unless you choose to play with those rules.

If you are, then yes, Infernos munitions automatically start a fire if targeting the terrain (p165, auto target modifier on fire table).  This would start a 2" AOE fire.
Fire adds heatt o units that enter or move through.  A unit that has already moved this movement phase does not enter or move through anything the rest of the turn (combat or end phase), so it wouldn't take any heat from the fire this turn.  Next turn when it moves, then it enters or moves through the fire and would add heat in that turns' end phase.

If you want to add heat to them this turn, you have to hit them with it directly.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Re: Fire & Heat - Order of operation & rule exploit
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2024, 08:40:28 »
My main goal was to use the fire as area denial to prevent my opponent from using the woods for a free bonus but that started me down this rabbit hole. 

If you want to add heat to them this turn, you have to hit them with it directly.

While I agree with this interpretation, and I think this is the "fair" way to handle it, the rules as written do not reflect that. It seems there needs to be clarification that a unit that moves "through" less than 1" of fire does not take heat damage unless it ends its movement in fire, or something like that.

Just to be certain, if a unit is standing in the middle of a 2" fire at the beginning of the turn, aren't they "moving through" fire? I'm just trying to head off disagreements before they begin.  azn