Author Topic: Kill Switch  (Read 5954 times)

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
Kill Switch
« on: 17 February 2011, 10:59:56 »
  There was a recent USA Today article about a bill which would allow the President to shut down the internet (referred to as the "Kill Switch.") I'm not interested in the political or ethical aspects of it here but wanted to know if the Government had the capability to follow through with it. Can the Government do a lot more than require internet providers to shut down?

-Andrew

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Kill Switch
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2011, 11:08:01 »
A button that should not be created. I hope it wont be next to the button that launches the nukes!!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2011, 13:29:45 »
I may not be American, so I'm safe, but there are a lot of websites I frequent in the United States!
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2011, 13:40:12 »
But the internet isn't a centralised thing that you can make an on/off switch for as far as I am aware. Yes ICANN happens to be located in the US, but they're only there to make sure everyone is speaking the same language when it comes to the internet.

So it doesn't strike me as being possible in the first place.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2011, 14:05:37 »
The only way Egypt turned off its internet was to call up its ISPs and said, "Shut it down." They had no master kill switch button, and they were unable to block telephone dial-out connections to foreign ISPs.

The US, I believe, has a more fragmented, larger and distributed internet set-up than Egypt. It'd be a lot of work to shut down all the cable, DSL, telephone, and satellite connections, not to mention the many server farms.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2011, 14:22:16 »
The only way Egypt turned off its internet was to call up its ISPs and said, "Shut it down." They had no master kill switch button, and they were unable to block telephone dial-out connections to foreign ISPs.

The US, I believe, has a more fragmented, larger and distributed internet set-up than Egypt. It'd be a lot of work to shut down all the cable, DSL, telephone, and satellite connections, not to mention the many server farms.

Yes we can (Link)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2011, 14:48:10 »
A button that should not be created. I hope it wont be next to the button that launches the nukes!!!

The government should not have control over the internet.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2011, 14:57:35 »

The government should not have control over the internet.

Uh, excuse me. It's been brought to my attention that a few bad apples out there are smoking marijuana. Uh, I've got news for you my friend, marijuana's illegal. Not cool. Alright then . . .

Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best

Members of the crowd shout. You suck!

Learn the rules!
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2011, 16:06:01 »
Like Taurevanime and Cray pointed out, it's not a question of the merits of a 'kill switch.' The question is if it's possible at this point. I really doubt it personally.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
  • mei veneratio est mei vita
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2011, 16:22:54 »
A single button to simultaneously kill EVERY uplink?

without a doubt, absolutely NOT POSSIBLE, unless they're also shutting down every satelite uplink, cable TV provider, private server farm, telephone line, and also had C4 packed into the ocean bed cables.
Global Moderator - Intelser.org

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Space him from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2011, 16:46:31 »

And it's much easier if it's "call it's ISP" - Egypt has one state-controlled ISP, and shutting that down disconnected 99% of external links. There was a flow-on effect - internal servers started erroring because they were used to being in contact with the outside world, so there was much more of an impact on internal internet than expected.

Many other governments have similar arrangments, but I suspect the US might have sufficiently many separate ISPs that such an action would be much harder to implement.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2011, 17:17:28 »
What about something to disable the BIND system?  Everything stays up, IP addresses work fine, but nothing can resolve text-based addresses.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2011, 18:01:57 »
Saw this the other day... not really as much a possibility for US, but on the matter of principal it shouldn't even be considered acceptable.  My two cents.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2011, 21:20:52 »
The best way to shut down the internet would be to build a series of dirigibles with EMP bombs built in, that, on command, would fly over every major ISP and server farm and detonate their payload.  There.  No more internet.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2011, 21:31:07 »
i suppose sending a major power surge through all the power lines may be a way to shut down the net, but that would most likely cause some damage to everyones home computers, stereos, televsions etc. not very practical.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2011, 21:47:41 »
Well, if you feel it necessary to stifle internal dissent by shutting down the Internet, you might as well kill the telephone lines, radio receivers, and TV sets as well.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2011, 21:51:42 »
It's probably just a trojan that'll infect all the browsers out there to load this page: http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html

It's not possible with the current architecture, but I'm assuming that when they say they're shutting down the internet they mean shutting off internet access in the United States. It'll be hard to do, but if they really wanted to they could.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2011, 23:10:10 »
Well, if you feel it necessary to stifle internal dissent by shutting down the Internet, you might as well kill the telephone lines, radio receivers, and TV sets as well.

Don't forget your mobile (cell) phone network too - mobiles are the tool of choice for surreptitious assignations. Many countries have major problems with RIM, maker of the accursed Blackberry, for using encryption on their phones.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2011, 23:48:28 »
The language of the bill, the debate and the bipartisan support for it made it clear that the purpose of the bill is to give the government authority to shut down *portions* of the internet, and only to effect security of critical infrastructure in the event of the very real threat of cyber-attack.  It is explicitly not intended to give the government the authority to shut the internet down nationally, rather national jurisdiction to shut down portions of the internet.  I, for one believe the government does have a national security obligation to be able to take that kind of action in the wake of emergent threats, particularly after the Stuxnet worm attack on the Iranian plant in Bushehr (ironically very likely the result of a combined U.S.-Israeli operation). 

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2011, 23:55:15 »
There is a very easy way to shut down certain portions of the internet.  If a facility is at risk of a cyberattack, unplug the broadband/dial-up connection.  People seem to forget that things worked pretty well before we went and connected all the computers together.

Don't forget your mobile (cell) phone network too - mobiles are the tool of choice for surreptitious assignations. Many countries have major problems with RIM, maker of the accursed Blackberry, for using encryption on their phones.

W.

Gvien that RIM headquarters is less than an hour's drive from my home, I applaud the local supplier of handheld anarchy facilitation devices.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2011, 01:22:34 »
There is a very easy way to shut down certain portions of the internet.  If a facility is at risk of a cyberattack, unplug the broadband/dial-up connection.  People seem to forget that things worked pretty well before we went and connected all the computers together.

Gvien that RIM headquarters is less than an hour's drive from my home, I applaud the local supplier of handheld anarchy facilitation devices.

;D
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2011, 10:39:37 »

W.

You've stumbled upon the true beginning of the Rim Worlds Republic.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2011, 10:47:45 »

W.
what good would Cell Phones be once teh Cell Towers are taken out?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2011, 13:57:44 »
what good would Cell Phones be once teh Cell Towers are taken out?

Well, you could play the games or whatever else you had downloaded onto them...

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2011, 16:06:11 »
You've stumbled upon the true beginning of the Rim Worlds Republic.

Kit knows too much . . .
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Register