Author Topic: Jeopardy IBM Challenge  (Read 7879 times)

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
Jeopardy IBM Challenge
« on: 18 February 2011, 04:02:33 »
Either it's Brainiac downloaded onto an IBM or we've achieved near-artificial intelligence. IBM's super intelligent supercomputer mopped the floor with two Jeopardy champions with seemingly no effort. It really took over in the second segment of the show, watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhDLUVAtqU&feature=topvideos

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
Re: Jeopardy IBM Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2011, 04:09:17 »
Either it's Brainiac downloaded onto an IBM or we've achieved near-artificial intelligence. IBM's super intelligent supercomputer mopped the floor with two Jeopardy champions with seemingly no effort. It really took over in the second segment of the show, watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhDLUVAtqU&feature=topvideos

You should have seen it on Conan too. ;D

"Not in the face . . . to quote your wife." Said to Andy Richter, I'm still chuckling at that one.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2011, 12:49:24 »
I saw the first half of the first episode. Then, fearing the robot apocalypse, I hid under my couch, which is a remarkable fear considering it has an inch of space available.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2011, 13:36:07 »

I liked the last question posed- it's the only part I've seen (youtube).  Asked what U.S City airport is named after a WWII hero (or something) and it replied "Toronto"

It obviously loves our maple syrup, beaver hugging, hockey playing nation  [rockon]
Formerly known as 'Phad'

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2011, 13:43:46 »
"Ken Jennings. What does my @$$ taste like"

Artificial inteligence? no, more like witty handlers, and major powerful search system and database.  It might be able to beat me at Jeopardy, but I can still take it in karate
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2011, 14:11:30 »
I, for one, welcome our new trivia-spouting overlord. 

If IBM could build a computer that combined the trivia-searching ability and natural language comprehension of Watson with the sheer possibility crunching capacity of the latest Deep Blue model, what would they get?
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2011, 16:07:15 »
I, for one, welcome our new trivia-spouting overlord. 

If IBM could build a computer that combined the trivia-searching ability and natural language comprehension of Watson with the sheer possibility crunching capacity of the latest Deep Blue model, what would they get?

Skynet?
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2011, 16:31:23 »
Hooking it up to Google would be pretty fascinating. It would be able to cover questions ranging from what my favorite Mech is to what date my favorite podcaster had to get a pus line installed to deal with an infection.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2011, 16:53:49 »
Hooking it up to Google would be pretty fascinating. It would be able to cover questions ranging from what my favorite Mech is to what date my favorite podcaster had to get a pus line installed to deal with an infection.

Why do I hear the Terminator theme playing as I read that? ???
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2011, 16:56:48 »
because it's on your MP3 playlist?

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2011, 17:35:50 »
I loved Ken's quote "I for one welcome our computer overlords"
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2011, 19:16:49 »
"Ken Jennings. What does my @$$ taste like"

Artificial inteligence? no, more like witty handlers, and major powerful search system and database.  It might be able to beat me at Jeopardy, but I can still take it in karate

That thing can probably download a Bruce Lee program so fast it'll make your head spin.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2011, 19:19:14 »
Yes, but does it have hands and feet? Knowing everything and being able to use it are where computers are still inferior. Though the Japanese sex industry is working to fix that

— From a post on rpg.net

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2011, 19:44:08 »
Human language is impossibly complex. And Jeopardy takes full advantage of word play in innuendo. So first he computer has to figure out what the question truly is looking for then  search its database for the correct information. I saw a Nova special about the "Watson" but missed the episodes. Its a learning machine, at first the machine was crappy at the game. Took forever to "teach" it to play that well. It help "Watson" lean they team created a replica of the Jeopardy stage and hired a real host and it played against human players over and over.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2011, 21:31:55 »
So Watson is a very well-evolved neural network, then?  I wonder if Watson's software can be ported to other applications to take it's language skill and directly apply it to less 'trivial' applications?  Also, I wonder if Watson could provide an architecture for neural networks for other purposes.  Skynet might not be that far off of a guess.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2011, 23:19:58 »

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2011, 23:31:17 »
So Watson is a very well-evolved neural network, then? I wonder if Watson's software can be ported to other applications to take it's language skill and directly apply it to less 'trivial' applications?

That's actually a large part of why they did it. Jeopardy was just a test case.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2011, 00:20:45 »
What I want to know is whether or not that robot was able to buzz in instantly. If it was, I think it had an extremely unfair advantage.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2011, 00:32:33 »
not instantly, but, as I understand it, it was able to send a signal as soon as it came up with a reasonable match. If you watch the episodes, you can see the other two getting quite frustrated because it could buzz in faster then they did on many ocassions.a ahlf second signal delay could have been a major game changer.

— From a post on rpg.net

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2011, 00:35:54 »
not instantly, but, as I understand it, it was able to send a signal as soon as it came up with a reasonable match. If you watch the episodes, you can see the other two getting quite frustrated because it could buzz in faster then they did on many ocassions.a ahlf second signal delay could have been a major game changer.

I think they should have averaged Brad and Ken's response times and made that Watson's average response time.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2011, 01:43:36 »
Or at least the normal human delay of thought to movement of thumb.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2011, 02:47:48 »
I think I read that future Watsons will actually aim to be useful.  One noted occupation was playing the role of House, which is to say making medical diagnoses, which seems like a role it would be good at.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2011, 03:13:52 »
It takes time to process questions when they are read aloud to you. The program seemed to not have that same limitation. It had an answer within the moment Trebek stopped reading.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2011, 09:24:18 »
So do most folks.  Watch day 3 of the challenge and you'll see folks, especially Ken, jump in before Watson plenty of times.  He's hooked up to a mechanical actuator that presses a standard jeopardy buzzer no faster than the split-second thumbflick required by a human being for just that reason.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 19 February 2011, 12:57:57 »
yep. his search engine is just a little faster then Ken's

— From a post on rpg.net

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #25 on: 19 February 2011, 13:02:51 »
I saw on TV that Watson was given three possible responses, i.e. multiple choice, from which Watson could further narrow it down using search capacities.  Multiple choice for the computer player (but not the two human players) makes it very unfair.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 19 February 2011, 13:11:02 »
I don't think they where multiple choice. because if you read some of the answers, they are very wrong. I think his search and comparison program pulled out of his datbanks the three answers that came back the most likely from his search and picked the one that was the highest.

— From a post on rpg.net

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2011, 13:16:14 »
Yes, but does it have hands and feet? Knowing everything and being able to use it are where computers are still inferior. Though the Japanese sex industry is working to fix that
there just about there already

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2011, 16:29:47 »
So Watson is a very well-evolved neural network, then?  I wonder if Watson's software can be ported to other applications to take it's language skill and directly apply it to less 'trivial' applications?  Also, I wonder if Watson could provide an architecture for neural networks for other purposes.  Skynet might not be that far off of a guess.

HAL might already exist:
http://www.tgdaily.com/space-features/54098-control-system-lets-spacecraft-think-for-themselves

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2011, 16:41:57 »
there just about there already

I've seen the robotics boys at my IEEE that can make some pretty sophisticated machines with multiple levels of articulation. They're capable of complex series motions. If they can make something as intelligent with a learning capacity as Watson I wouldn't be surprised if these things could end up teaching at dojos soon.

Register