Author Topic: Jeopardy IBM Challenge  (Read 7880 times)

Dread Moores

• Captain
Re: Jeopardy IBM Challenge
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2011, 20:00:33 »
I saw on TV that Watson was given three possible responses, i.e. multiple choice, from which Watson could further narrow it down using search capacities.  Multiple choice for the computer player (but not the two human players) makes it very unfair.

It wasn't multiple choice. The three responses listed at the bottom were the responses Watson was working through. While I don't believe it was shown on television, there was some footage in some of the articles covering Watson of those answers changing as Watson "thought" about the answers. I'll try to dig them up, but I honestly don't recall which articles covered this, as I've read a number of them now. I find it pretty interesting. But even on the TV show (which I DVR'd) and just rewatched, it was not stated those were options Watson was given, but those were the answers Watson had narrowed it down to.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2011, 21:03:28 »
I've seen the robotics boys at my IEEE that can make some pretty sophisticated machines with multiple levels of articulation. They're capable of complex series motions. If they can make something as intelligent with a learning capacity as Watson I wouldn't be surprised if these things could end up teaching at dojos soon.

A training partner that could learn and react, that I didn't have to worry about hurting? YES PLEASE!!
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2011, 21:33:17 »
I liked the last question posed- it's the only part I've seen (youtube).  Asked what U.S City airport is named after a WWII hero (or something) and it replied "Toronto"

Toronto, Kansas is near two airports. One named after a person, one named after a place...
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #33 on: 20 February 2011, 00:10:35 »
It was awesome PR for Jeopardy and IBM, and that is worth more then the money that the computer won.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 20 February 2011, 01:39:59 »
It was awesome PR for Jeopardy and IBM, and that is worth more then the money that the computer won.

It really didn't win any from what I could tell, as the million went to two different charities. They've already spent an estimated 100 million on Watson, so the PR is really the only reward they're looking for.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2011, 02:05:05 »
Any winnings on Jeopardy would be pocket change for IBM anyway. Giving the money away has more value to IBM's image than a few grand. Plus they've already demonstrated on national TV how awesome their new device is. That company's stock is headed for Olympus.