Author Topic: My Nook Color: ARRRRGGGGHHH, B&N get off your tailbone!  (Read 3041 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
My Nook Color: ARRRRGGGGHHH, B&N get off your tailbone!
« on: 22 February 2011, 02:51:43 »
And give us decent apps.

Seriously, I'm this close to rooting the dang thing because of the fact that the current pdf reader they have is almost completley nonfunctional-- half my purchased books open slowly, or turn the text black against black backgrounds, and it has no, none at all, ability to use the bookmarks in the pdf.

I mean, seriously, something that calls itself a pdfreader that can't even look at BOOKMARKS?

C'mon, B&N, if everyone and his brother has rooted the nook with froyo, it shouldn't be hard for you to come up with an apps store.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: My Nook Color: ARRRRGGGGHHH, B&N get off your tailbone!
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 07:34:23 »
half my purchased books open slowly, or turn the text black against black backgrounds, and it has no, none at all, ability to use the bookmarks in the pdf.

Yep, that was my experience.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 07:53:21 »
this is why I saved a 100 bucks and went with the plain jane version
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

MadCatBob

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 09:15:32 »
this is why I saved a 100 bucks and went with the plain jane version

I thought about a nook color, but the way I understand it, it's basically a hamstrung android platform, though the full functionality can be restored. I am really considering a kindle, though.

Totally Unrelated W00T:  No more captcha every time I want to post!

bsmart

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 10:36:56 »
Love my Kindle. Works perfectly, battery lasts forever, and the screen is easier on my eyes than an LCD.

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 10:45:29 »
I rooted my nook color on day two. So yeah the pdfs actually read properly now, and to my mother's delight, she can play Angry Birds.
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 13:30:54 »
I wound up buying a the Velocity Cruz e-reader and rooting it immediately. Only spent $100 (compared to $250?) and have more functionality in a lot of ways. Also bought a Literati (was able to get several new for about $30 each) though I have yet to play with that yet.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Register