Author Topic: [Another] Quake in Christchurch  (Read 2233 times)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
[Another] Quake in Christchurch
« on: 22 February 2011, 04:05:17 »
Here's hoping that none of our Kiwi brethren are any near there. Last report had 65 dead. payers and godspeed to all down in New Zealand
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: [Another] Quake in Christchurch
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 06:54:24 »
My thoughts and prayers are with the Kiwis.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 07:25:44 »
My thoughts are with you guys.  I got to ask though, is your PM normally this histronic/hyperbolic?  I don't want to demean the trajedy that has befallen you guys, but calling it "New Zealand's darkest day"?  Hearing that can't be all that comforting for the folks in Christchurch.

-Jackmc

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 07:55:35 »
Toughts and prayers!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 01:20:42 »
Agreed! That is pretty crazy considering September just nailed them with a 7+ and now this?

Thoughts and prayers indeed!  :-\
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 04:51:30 »
My thoughts are with you guys.  I got to ask though, is your PM normally this histronic/hyperbolic?  I don't want to demean the trajedy that has befallen you guys, but calling it "New Zealand's darkest day"?  Hearing that can't be all that comforting for the folks in Christchurch.

-Jackmc

Fair question, John Key isn't usually given to hyperbole, and on an international scale it's not a huge disaster compared to the likes of Haiti, but for New Zealand, yeah, this is probably out biggest disaster to date, both in terms of physical damage to one of our major cities and in terms of the probable death toll. :(

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2011, 05:31:03 »
Prayers to you, New Zealanders!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2011, 06:57:30 »
  Uh, firstly?  While the thoughts and positive waves are more than welcome, even to someone like me who wasn't actually in the shake-zone, you guys were kind'a Roosterboyed.  ;)

While I'm here, though, does anyone mind if I vent for a second?  'Cause you've gotta love some of the 'experts' the foreign TV-news networks have found, really.  Some talking-head on CNN this afternoon was going on about how:

- New Zealand architecture isn't set up for a shake like this and we should build all our structures on roller-bearings like the Japanese do.
  (We've been doing that for decades already, you nimrod - the Japanese got that idea FROM us.  [tickedoff]  So did the U.S., for that matter - not that I'd bet it got implemented, between the bureaucracy and the NIH Syndrome!  [tickedoff]  Those churches and heritage buildings that got wrecked simply pre-date that building code - and many of the others were pre-weakened by the Sept. 4 shake.)

- New Zealand is 'insufficiently prepared' for an earthquake disaster and needs more national preparedness arrangements.
  (We have Urban SAR teams in every major centre, and Civil Defence - both in Christchurch and response-teams from across the South Island - was moving even before the shaking stopped.  And preparedness?  School taught me what to do in a 'quake before I was eight - and previous generations of kids had had similar training before the Napier Quake of 1931!)

- California, a state with far more territory, people and money than us, would have a hard time handling something like this, so we have got to be completely overwhelmed.
  (Why, you smug, condescending....  See above.  Plus, there was a multinational military exercise going on in Christchurch when it happened, including numerous defence personnel from NZ and other PacRim states, plus two international conferences' worth of doctors (urologists and neurologists, IIRC), plus a collection of US politicians - Senators? Congresscritters?  Who knows/cares?.  The biggest delay to a coordinated response was that Christchurch's top CD people were in Wellington trying to sort out reconstruction efforts and damage claims from the Sept. 4 'quake!  Even then, their deputies were more than on top of things until they got back.  "Overwhelmed"?  In a pig's arse, we are!  [tickedoff])

This frakwit thought New Zealand is 'underprepared', 'poorly built', and 'overwhelmed'?   ???  Really: some of these 'learned commentators' might want to come down here and actually study our set-up, so they can FIND OUT WHAT THE ****** THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT before they open their mouths and prove the extent of their expertise ignorance.   [tickedoff]

Please excuse me while I step away and calm down?  I've gotta stop blowing my stack every time I encounter a self-important big-mouthed idiot, otherwise I'll never get anything else done.   [tickedoff]