Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?  (Read 144360 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?
« Reply #210 on: 22 November 2019, 00:48:33 »
Ah, not that many then... Jets came in pretty quickly...

Not quite for carriers . . . IIRC it was a interesting strategic imbalance . . . carrier planes could pop up wherever b/c of the mobility of the airfield but lacked the ability to launch jets.  Fixed airbases could rapidly respond to a carrier plane incursion b/c of the speed difference but it was easier for carrier planes to degrade the nearest airfields.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #211 on: 22 November 2019, 04:28:32 »
The first jet landing and take off on a carrier was apparently in 1945, so it wasn't that long...

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #212 on: 22 November 2019, 04:53:12 »
The first jet landing and take off on a carrier was apparently in 1945, so it wasn't that long...

I'm taking this all from Wikipedia so am aware it may be completely wrong but...

The first jets were flying between 1939 and 1941 in prototype form, the first jet fighters were introduced to service in 1944 - all of this was on the background of active wartime development speeds

However, by 1945 the impetus for improving carrier based aviation was gone - Japan was crippled and Germany was not an issue for carrier based fighters

Early jets struggled with reliability (for example needing overhaul every 80-150 hours) and power at lower speeds was poor with slower acceleration than a prop driven engine to speed the aircraft along the short flight deck and up up and away with or without catapult assistance
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #213 on: 22 November 2019, 05:26:01 »
There's actually video

A deHavilland Vampire on HMS Ocean. Seas look none too calm.

https://youtu.be/PNoUBil7A3c

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #214 on: 22 November 2019, 05:35:23 »
Interestingly, the problems now seem reversed, while take off can be sorted - see this vid of an F-35B taking off from HMS Queen Elizabeth

https://youtu.be/OM3qQUVGN5s

the landing is harder

https://youtu.be/jP0rUkDz_Fg

because on the F-35B you don't have wires or a barrier or a great deal of speed

Landing with arrestor wires is common even on land - for example the Tornado in RAF service used them - let alone on CATOBAR carriers - although the Haynes Manual on the Tornado did comment that the tailhook on that aircraft looks wimpy and fragile compared to the ones on naval aircraft like the F-14 or F/A-18s
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #215 on: 22 November 2019, 06:30:26 »
There's actually video

And, of course it's Captain 'Winkle' Brown. I really should have known that it would be.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #216 on: 22 November 2019, 07:24:13 »
IIRC India still has it "on a list" of possible fighters for their CVs, given that all their current planes have some kind of problem. Brazil, of course, doesn't have a carrier for them any longer... ::)
Speaking of which:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Sao_Paulo_carrier_forward_flight_deck_2003.jpg

One year ago today the Brazilian aircraft carrier São Paulo, formerly the French aircraft carrier Foch was decommissioned after found to be uneconomical to refit and repair.
liber et infractus

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #217 on: 22 November 2019, 07:33:23 »
Speaking of which:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Sao_Paulo_carrier_forward_flight_deck_2003.jpg

One year ago today the Brazilian aircraft carrier São Paulo, formerly the French aircraft carrier Foch was decommissioned after found to be uneconomical to refit and repair.
I honestly don't think Sao Paulo has ever been "operational" for more than a couple of months at a time

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #218 on: 22 November 2019, 08:34:55 »
Speaking of which:

Skyhawks in the hizzouse!
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #219 on: 22 November 2019, 09:43:24 »
I honestly don't think Sao Paulo has ever been "operational" for more than a couple of months at a time
That's true, but they kept on trying until the plug to pulled.
liber et infractus

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #220 on: 22 November 2019, 12:22:48 »
The first jets were flying between 1939 and 1941 in prototype form, the first jet fighters were introduced to service in 1944 - all of this was on the background of active wartime development speeds

However, by 1945 the impetus for improving carrier based aviation was gone - Japan was crippled and Germany was not an issue for carrier based fighters

Early jets struggled with reliability (for example needing overhaul every 80-150 hours) and power at lower speeds was poor with slower acceleration than a prop driven engine to speed the aircraft along the short flight deck and up up and away with or without catapult assistance

There's actually video

https://youtu.be/PNoUBil7A3c

The USN's first carrier jet, the F9F Panther, was cleared for carrier operations in '49

. . . with modifications to a swept wing design to combat MiGs in the Korean War, but it never met its intend opponent.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #221 on: 22 November 2019, 12:36:53 »
And, of course it's Captain 'Winkle' Brown. I really should have known that it would be.

Just finished "Wings of the Luftwaffe", which is his book about flying captured German aircraft - highly recommended.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #222 on: 22 November 2019, 19:30:05 »
Just finished "Wings of the Luftwaffe", which is his book about flying captured German aircraft - highly recommended.

Ta for the tip!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #223 on: 22 November 2019, 19:56:23 »
I consider even '49 to be "not that long"...  ^-^

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: 22 November 2019, 20:54:48 »
Ah, not that many then... Jets came in pretty quickly...
1500 or so and they came into service late 1944.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #225 on: 22 November 2019, 20:56:48 »
Jets yes... carrier based ones?  A little longer, but still not that much...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #226 on: 22 November 2019, 21:07:50 »
The article I read said that the Hellcat stayed in service as a night fighter until 54.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #227 on: 22 November 2019, 21:09:07 »
The Sky Raider was still active during Vietnam, but we had jets well before '54 as Kidd pointed out.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #228 on: 22 November 2019, 22:15:18 »
Piston engine planes sipped gas while turbojets chugged gas. The Skyraiders were great at staying on station where the jets had a struggle with that.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #229 on: 22 November 2019, 23:25:46 »
And additional bonus is that a radial engine like the Skyraider had tends to weather damage a little better than many others.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: 25 November 2019, 08:48:08 »
And additional bonus is that a radial engine like the Skyraider had tends to weather damage a little better than many others.
Yeah, the radiators on P-51s didn't do so well with ground fire...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #231 on: 25 November 2019, 10:51:58 »
I want to say the props in use in the Korean War still scored a few air to air kills.

From what I was able to find the UK sent the HMS Unicorn as part of UN forces, and the first carrier on site was the only (??) in the Pacific, the USS Valley Forge.  She had to steam from the West Coast, since apparently she shifted from Oahu to San Diego in '49.

And what looks like a Korean War era picture since it appears to be Panthers on the cats-

One of the UK planes involved was the Hawker Sea Fury, this one clearly a Navy bird from our Aussie friends-
Colt Ward

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #232 on: 25 November 2019, 20:58:24 »
History Guy covered the AVRO Arrow today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4z5-l7u2Uo

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #233 on: 25 November 2019, 22:51:29 »
In an episode of the Canadian Antique roadshow, a woman brough some memorabilia owned by her father: blueprints and various documents binders (specs and requests) of the Arrow! Her father worked on the project and like all the other employees, simply took all he could when the Avro plant closed. He told his daughter that the bosses didn't care and the security helped those taking tools with them. The appraiser told the woman, the government didn't even kept their copies of her documents so what she had was priceless.  :(

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #234 on: 26 November 2019, 04:09:09 »
I hope she hooked up with some of the Canadian historians and got copies of everything made.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #235 on: 26 November 2019, 04:42:31 »
Priceless indeed! 

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 27 November 2019, 11:28:40 »
I want to say the props in use in the Korean War still scored a few air to air kills.
The last of the old will always be better than the first of the new.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #237 on: 27 November 2019, 11:54:49 »
Sea Fury some of the late great piston engine fighters of the day that outclassed the early jets. To bad it came just a little to late. The Bearcat was piston engine awesome also. Seen the Bearcat at airshows, I think they could of flown circles around the P51s.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2019, 11:59:11 by I am Belch II »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #238 on: 27 November 2019, 12:24:08 »
Here is a before Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving plane style for the people that are celebrating Thursday.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #239 on: 27 November 2019, 13:06:15 »
The last of the old will always be better than the first of the new.
That's a very good point.

Register