Author Topic: Ral Partha vs. IMW  (Read 3547 times)

Degman

• Warrant Officer
Ral Partha vs. IMW
« on: 03 March 2011, 13:59:49 »
Which company casts higher quality Mechs?

I've read that both RP and IMW make their own molds so I'm wondering whether there were some differences regarding size, level of detail or checking the final product quality.

So far, I've only bought IMW stuff.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
Re: Ral Partha vs. IMW
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2011, 14:20:01 »
Aren't RP and IWM the same company?
CDT Agent #319

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2011, 14:21:47 »
Isn't one in the USA and the other one in UK.

@p? Yes, I've meant RPUK.

Sorry for posting it wrong.

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2011, 14:22:19 »
They are the same molds. Only difference would be in quality control, I think.

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2011, 18:13:55 »
I have purchased from both and there is no difference in mins, as well as I can see. These eyes are getting old.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2011, 18:40:16 »
They are the same molds. Only difference would be in quality control, I think.
I think them using the same molds is quite impossible, unless IWM/RPE have perfected quantum entanglement. They possibly have molds made from the same master, but more likely, they have each their own master(s) and make molds from that. Quality of the Mechs depend on the quality of the rubber they use, the quality of the master (how many times he has been used to create a mold), how many castings are made of each mold, the quality of the metal mix they use, skill of the casters and quality control. I suspect that the differences are so small that they are hardly noticeable. Also keep in mind that they import the newer mechs directly from IWM.

I can say that RPE quality control isn't perfect. Base on one of my 25mm Elemental needs to rebuild, should be relatively simple, no details were lost on the model itself.

Ezekiel Crow

• Sergeant
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2011, 01:10:02 »
The difference is in the archieve fees and shipping.  Ral Partha Europe doesn't have archive fees IWM does.  Even shipping is generally cheaper from Ral Partha Europe for non archived orders.  IWM shipping prices are outrageous.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2011, 01:21:45 »
The difference is in the archieve fees and shipping.  Ral Partha Europe doesn't have archive fees IWM does.  Even shipping is generally cheaper from Ral Partha Europe for non archived orders.  IWM shipping prices are outrageous.

You can get the newest minis at IWM much sooner, though I generally concur on the shipping.  Obviously YMMV depending on your location.   I get a lot of archived stuff via RPE.

I order my IWM stuff through my FLGS.  No shipping and a 10% discount membership  :) 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ezekiel Crow

• Sergeant
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2011, 01:51:32 »
You can get the new stuff faster on eBay than by ordering from IWM.  The only time I order from IWM direct is when it's an exclusive I want.  Though in general the shipping fees have just  served to convince me I don't want it that badly.

will_scarlet

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2011, 04:39:23 »
Ral Partha UK have some of the older castings (not unseen) that are not available from IWM, and they also have the Mechforce UK variants. On top of that, they still sell some of the IWM stuff that IWM have put in their back catalog and charge a premium for, so it's a good place to get stuff from. That said, they don't always have what they say they have on their website, and they also get new stuff six to nine months after IWM releases a model. So horses for courses. Even in the UK, I buy direct from IWM sometimes.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2011, 07:10:11 »
 I like to say that both companys do great work. I also do biz with both. The only pet pev with IWM is when they send you a mini in plastic baggies with just code number on the bag. So you have to save the packing slip find which mini is which. Now RPUK send minis in plastic bag to , but they put sticker on the bag with name and their code of the mini. Now I like that.

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2011, 07:43:05 »
I've been buying minis from both Rp then IWM since 1990(i have over 1000 minis) I dont see much in difference in quality.
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2011, 09:21:35 »
S+H doesn't bother me as much, if I want something I'll pay for it.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2011, 09:40:27 »
IMO both are equally good, but offer different advantage depending on where you are, and if they are running a special.

New, new stuff I use IWM, older stuff RPE.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2011, 10:31:23 »
There's no reason x a "versus".They are 2 company and like PiP said they are usable for your demand.
In terms of molding it depends.I can say that I found most  molding line on top of stuff in both cases,missing parts seldom.
I can have better chance btw to have a change with RPE for geographical reason(postage packing rise up awfully).