Author Topic: Behemoth (Stone Rhino) OOP Model  (Read 4223 times)

Azeroth

• Corporal
Behemoth (Stone Rhino) OOP Model
« on: 04 March 2011, 13:54:17 »
Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a reason why the orginial Behemoth was discontinued and a new one was done, the new model just doesn't look good IMO.  I'm trying to paint a Jade Falcon force and wanted to use a Behemoth in the Talon Star, but I just can't bring myself to buy the new model (it looks like a fat guy with guns).  I've looked on ebay and there wasn't one being sold.  I just think that the original looked REALLY sharp.  Does anyone know where I could get one or if there was any plans to bring the old mold back?

Thanks

xupgrayddx

• Master Sergeant
Re: Behemoth (Stone Rhino) OOP Model
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2011, 14:11:18 »
Its gone and never coming back. Id keep it up on ebay or check out trade/sell on LOTB or BTU. you might get lucky.
I'm sorry, your authority is not recognized inside Fort Kickass!

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2011, 14:18:00 »
unless I am mistaken, the original Behemoth was the MAC II Monster from Macross...hence the lack of availability

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2011, 14:28:41 »
The BD mini was loosely based on the MAC II, but he's asking about the Clan Stone Rhino (behemoth is the IS designation).

The Phoenix Stone Rhino might not be as sexy as the old version, but it also doesn't have the weak joints of it predecessor ether. One of the reasons they are so hard to find - everyone broke the flimsy arms off the original.

I actually like the look of the new girl when converted to the 3 variant...

Photo courtesy of Psycho's gallery @ www.camospecs.com

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2011, 14:31:55 »
No, well yes, but more detail is required: the original Behemoth was based on the Macross/Robotech MAC 2, but that is a separate mini from the Battledroids line in the mid-1980's. http://www.heavygauss.com/Droidsmain.html

The Behemoth from 3055 was not anywhere close to that, and resembled the Marauder more. It was one of many images removed as part of the "Unseen" issue; while their was no legal claim against it specifically, it was removed as a precaution.

In more recent times many of the previously Unseen have been cleared for use again. Whether that use includes the production of minis still appears to be up for debate. For the time being, your best bet to acquire one is eBay or other sites that have trading forums.

Azeroth

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2011, 15:28:48 »
I actually had one but sold it years ago when I left the game, now that I'm back, this stinks.  The variant picture above looks better... what did you use to convert that?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2011, 15:38:15 »
saws to chop off the double
gauss turret, and green stuff to replicate the ATMs I am sure
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2011, 17:03:28 »
saws to chop off the double
gauss turret

Actually the turret is a separate piece... ;)

You can order the ATM 9's direct from IWM's omni parts catalog... http://www.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=16_44_145&products_id=4543 Although, I'm pretty sure Psycho sculpted the ones in the above pic.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2011, 21:53:59 »
Got a OOP Stone Rhino years back when they were still available and ended up painting it up in Smoke Jag colors. I have never used it, and didn't know it had weak joints.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2011, 00:00:48 »
well I just painted up an old Stone Rhino (Behemoth) for Ogre for Hire over the Christmas Break. You can see a picture of it to the left, it is my Avatar Pic. I like the new sculpt though. (I like all Mechs  :D) Good luck with your hunt. and yes the Arms are a pain. Pinning works wonders though. Long live the Dragon!
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

will_scarlet

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2011, 04:34:36 »
I reinforce the weakness in the arms of the old RP casting of the Stone Rhino by drilling all the way down the arm with a 1mm drill bit until it's about to come out of the underside of the gun housing, and then supergluing in a 1mm steel rod. I bend the rod before I put it in so that I can then superglue the other end into the main body of the mech, and you end up with a real sold mech. There is still a little weakness in the overhead gun because it's so thin. I have tried coring that with steel rod, like you do with the old shadowhawk gun, but it's a real pain to get right.

Gotta say I love the old RP Behemoth. Never even built up one of the new ones, but the piccies make them look bad.
I just buy them when they turn up on eBay. Even if they're broke,so long as all the buts are there, they can ve fixed up like new.

Register