Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 170206 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #480 on: 24 April 2014, 01:41:13 »
They never spelled it out, unfortunately.  Only four actual unit types have been specified by name for Niops:  the Black Knight, the Highlander, the Burke tank and the Nighthawk XXI and XXII.  Their aerospace arm was stated to be the equivalent of their BattleMech arm:  on the heavy side and full of Star League designs.  For 'Mechs, vehicles and aero, they used to roll on the ComStar tables before everything went to hell in a handbasket.  Their infantry was never expressly spelled out to be equipped like the old SLDF infantry, but the implication was there based on their other equipment.

By 3145, Niops reportedly has four squads of Nighthawks guarding the governmental facilities on Niops VII.  Their main military academy (yes, it's described as "main") is the Central Military School on Niops VII, which has a highly active training program for infantry, an active vehicle training program, and an underfunded MechWarrior program.

Their current forces also state the "one bright spot in an otherwise bleak recent history has been the formal addition of infantry forces to the NAM in both unarmored and battlearmor alike."  That implies some use of battlearmor beyond just the Nighthawk, and perhaps also indicates that the Niops Association is placing greater credence in battlearmor than in BattleMechs these days.  Field Manual 3145 is a bit sparse in describing the NAM's composition, mentioning they have a single BattleMech regiment at 85% strength, with a D tech rating on the RAT tables.  There's no mention of their current aerospace asset strength, but at their peak pre-Jihad, they had a full wing of 54 aerospace fighters.  Niops now use the Periphery table, rather than the Republic table.  It's probably a safe bet that, with their Workshops not having been rebuilt, much of what they currently field consists of whatever techs have been been able to salvage of old NAM units and the invading Word of Blake units, with imports taking care of the rest.

With that said...Niops might be a bit of an unfriendly environment for mercenaries.  It was, after all, a merc unit that set the ball rolling in their civil war with a coup attempt.  Your best bet would be if your merc unit was signed on with Interstellar Expeditions, whom Niops is in tight with (their joint asteroid mining project, Niops Mining, is currently the largest industry in the Niops system).
I though I remembered L. Jamison Fallon being a notable pilot or something.  Ahab, maybe.  Or am I remembering something from FGC '62?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #481 on: 24 April 2014, 01:52:54 »
I though I remembered L. Jamison Fallon being a notable pilot or something.  Ahab, maybe.  Or am I remembering something from FGC '62?

That was me in the FGC '62, before I switched to a Royal Rapier.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #482 on: 24 April 2014, 16:32:57 »
CW: My interpretation of a NAM roster, grain of salt style.

Aero:
Titan CV
Confederate
DroST IIa
Jumbo
Lion

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #483 on: 25 April 2014, 00:27:47 »
They have shipyards capable of building those SLDF ships? I thought only the smaller units like Mechs, armor, PA(Ls) and ASFs were made in Niops

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #484 on: 25 April 2014, 00:44:29 »
CW: My interpretation of a NAM roster, grain of salt style.

Aero:
Titan CV
Confederate
DroST IIa
Jumbo
Lion

TT

The Drost IIA? Suddenly, I'm picturing Niops as Firefly.

The Titan, amusingly, started out as the main assault ship for FGC '62 Niops, with three of them, one for each fighter wing.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #485 on: 25 April 2014, 02:25:34 »
Drost IIa looks more like the mobile infantry dropships they used in starship troopers isnt it?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #486 on: 26 April 2014, 18:35:31 »
@Ark: Let's think about this... everything I listed was standard for SLDF at the time. Much of this would not have drawn attention to Niops. The Mule, Condor and Fury would be the next logical step. The Leopard, Union and Overlord would be to new, being replaced on a ship by ship basis for more prestige units. Hell I can see the old Manatee and Dictator droppers being regulated to Militia units at this time, before they get replaced themselves. Also they don't have to build them in shipyards, hand build them is better. Part broken, lathe up a dozen, backups and such.  O:-)

@Gio: Why not? The thousands of DroST IIa's out there, fluff has them still being used today even in the, then current timeline. Wouldn't be surprised to see a DroST IIa being used in 3145. * grins * Anyone up to making a Dark Age DroST IIa with the advert new tech?  ;)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #487 on: 26 April 2014, 23:42:18 »
Alright...that makes sense. DropShip yards wouldn't be a stretch. Niops has germanium mines, so do they have JumpShip-capable yards?

I was thinking since their pre-Jihad doctrine of quality over quantity(as exemplified by hand-building Royal units one-by-one) would make the Colossus and Lee DropShips attractive to them. 1 of those bad boys permanently attached to each battalion, creating 6 rapid-response units ideal for their intra-system defensive doctrine. They had the tech to keep the DropShips in maintenance and it would quickly make pirates look elsewhere for raid targets.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #488 on: 27 April 2014, 21:20:35 »
For a game, in y'all's estimation what SLDF gear might Niops have had access to?  Everything that's confirmed, plus whatever y'all think they could have had (feel free to state your thought on how (un)likely a certain possible design is).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #489 on: 28 April 2014, 00:29:58 »
For a game, in y'all's estimation what SLDF gear might Niops have had access to?  Everything that's confirmed, plus whatever y'all think they could have had (feel free to state your thought on how (un)likely a certain possible design is).

Confirmed:  Black Knight, Highlander, Burke, Nighthawk XXI and XXII.

Theorized:  I can't find my PDF for Field Manual SLDF, but Niopsian pointed out the link between Niops and the XXXIV Corps.  Look at what part of the XXXIV that Van Coevorden was part/in command of, and use that as a starting point.

According to the SLSB, the 187th Royal Striker Regiment was part of the XXXIV Corps, and could have been a source of Royal units, including the Nighthawk.  The SLSB also lists the 187th as having originally been part of the FWL Region (which Niops was on the border with), and having been moved to "an undisclosed area of the Periphery" during the Periphery Uprising.  Note also that the 9999th Mechanized Infantry Regiment was the only part of the XXXIV Corps described as surviving through Operation Liberation.

Keeping that in mind, not every single person needs to die in a unit for the unit to be destroyed/disbanded.  It's entirely possible that survivors from the XXXIV ended up deciding that moving to Niops, taking their military hardware with them, was better than Exodus or serving a House Lord.  Hell, Kerensky would have probably preferred that they do that than serve a House - at least Niops was "family", so to speak.

The next spot I'd look would be Era Report 2750, at the RATs for the Star League/Terran Hegemony.  Another possible source of gear was the Star League Expeditionary Brigade, which was disbanded after Simon Cameron's death and not reformed.  I could see some of their personnel and gear kicked towards colonies like Niops, especially as the brigade had attached non-combatant astronomy and geology teams.  Sadly, it wouldn't include the SLS Pioneer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #490 on: 28 April 2014, 00:38:36 »
I would honestly say look at the oldest equipment the SLDF fielded- perhaps back to plain old Hegemony days.

You want to throw a fun twist, they take in refugees . . . where could a Star League top scientist trying to avoid the post-Kerensky Exodus Houses' Op Paperclip find the best refuge?  where would what he/she bring be most valued?

Hm, fun SL-era RP . . . House-style Operation Paperclip redeaux.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #491 on: 28 April 2014, 11:09:55 »
Confirmed:  Black Knight, Highlander, Burke, Nighthawk XXI and XXII.

Theorized:  I can't find my PDF for Field Manual SLDF, but Niopsian pointed out the link between Niops and the XXXIV Corps.  Look at what part of the XXXIV that Van Coevorden was part/in command of, and use that as a starting point.

According to the SLSB, the 187th Royal Striker Regiment was part of the XXXIV Corps, and could have been a source of Royal units, including the Nighthawk.  The SLSB also lists the 187th as having originally been part of the FWL Region (which Niops was on the border with), and having been moved to "an undisclosed area of the Periphery" during the Periphery Uprising.  Note also that the 9999th Mechanized Infantry Regiment was the only part of the XXXIV Corps described as surviving through Operation Liberation.

Keeping that in mind, not every single person needs to die in a unit for the unit to be destroyed/disbanded.  It's entirely possible that survivors from the XXXIV ended up deciding that moving to Niops, taking their military hardware with them, was better than Exodus or serving a House Lord.  Hell, Kerensky would have probably preferred that they do that than serve a House - at least Niops was "family", so to speak.

The next spot I'd look would be Era Report 2750, at the RATs for the Star League/Terran Hegemony.  Another possible source of gear was the Star League Expeditionary Brigade, which was disbanded after Simon Cameron's death and not reformed.  I could see some of their personnel and gear kicked towards colonies like Niops, especially as the brigade had attached non-combatant astronomy and geology teams.  Sadly, it wouldn't include the SLS Pioneer.
IIRC earlier fluff suggests that Niops was in the dark about the Amaris crisis until the Capellan refugees dropped in on them, so I doubt they'd have any Liberation survivors that declined to join the Exodus.  Good info on the XXXIV Corps though.  I'd done a ctrl+f on my pdf of FM SLDF and couldn't find a mention of Niops, so didn't know where to look in there.  Thanks for that.
Sunrise is Coming.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #492 on: 28 April 2014, 18:38:06 »
And what did these " Capellan refugees " bring in ways of equipment themselves, that maybe ued by the Niopians?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #493 on: 28 April 2014, 21:05:48 »
Actually, while it's clear they didn't know about the Succession Wars, it isn't at all clear they didn't know about the Exodus, and strikes me as unlikely they didn't know about the Civil War, given their cadre units were most likely ordered to pull out during this time.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #494 on: 28 April 2014, 21:53:23 »
Actually, while it's clear they didn't know about the Succession Wars, it isn't at all clear they didn't know about the Exodus, and strikes me as unlikely they didn't know about the Civil War, given their cadre units were most likely ordered to pull out during this time.
I'm not sure where IS Atlas get their fluff on Niops, but I know a lot of what they have is simply copied verbatim from sourcebooks.  At any rate, their article on Niops VII (link) suggests that the Colony didn't learn of the Amaris Civil War until the Capellan Refugees arrived.

And what did these " Capellan refugees " bring in ways of equipment themselves, that maybe ued by the Niopians?

TT
Little if anything, they were mostly unskilled laborers who were put to work on farms or in factories by their technocratic overlords.
Sunrise is Coming.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #495 on: 29 April 2014, 00:35:34 »
I'm not sure where IS Atlas get their fluff on Niops, but I know a lot of what they have is simply copied verbatim from sourcebooks.  At any rate, their article on Niops VII (link) suggests that the Colony didn't learn of the Amaris Civil War until the Capellan Refugees arrived.

That's not loading for me.  Unfortunately, I can't find my old copy of the original Periphery book or Field Manual Periphery on PDF.  I found my PDF for Field Manual SLDF, though, and it looks like the 62nd Mechanized Infantry Division was the unit closest to Niops.

Little if anything, they were mostly unskilled laborers who were put to work on farms or in factories by their technocratic overlords.

FTL transport assets that were probably beat to hell would be my guess.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 29 April 2014, 00:42:45 »
I want to be careful about copying and pasting too much, as I got a ban not so long ago for copying too much of one of IS Atlas's entries, but I think one sentence is plenty small enough to be ok:
One large group of Capellan refugees changed upon the Niops system, bringing with them word of the Amaris Civil War and the subsequent First Succession War.

I think "changed" should be "chanced", but nonetheless.
Sunrise is Coming.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #497 on: 29 April 2014, 00:53:15 »
I want to be careful about copying and pasting too much, as I got a ban not so long ago for copying too much of one of IS Atlas's entries, but I think one sentence is plenty small enough to be ok:

I think "changed" should be "chanced", but nonetheless.

I'd be curious as to their source, since I recall FM: Periphery mentioning the Succession Wars, but not the Amaris Coup.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #498 on: 29 April 2014, 00:57:57 »
I've got my copy of FM:P in my lap ATM and you're correct.

Edit: Wait, that's what it says in the Force Brief on page 120, but he quote seems to be taken directly from page 111, in the more general faction writeup.  In fact, they seem to have copied that entire writeup for their entry on Niops VII.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2014, 01:02:03 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #499 on: 29 April 2014, 01:01:49 »
I've got my copy of FM:P in my lap ATM and you're correct.

Found my dead tree copy of FASA's older Periphery sourcebook, and it mentions that Niops was cut off from the Inner Sphere by the Amaris Coup.  I'd take that to mean, then, that they knew the Civil War happened, but had no idea about the SLDF Exodus or the Succession Wars until the Capellan refugees arrived.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #500 on: 29 April 2014, 01:02:31 »
See my edit above.
Sunrise is Coming.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #501 on: 29 April 2014, 01:14:19 »
See my edit above.

That doesn't make any sense, though, especially given that recent publications have implied that they were still tied to the Star League and in regular contact, from FM: SLDF indicating there was active trade going on there with the XXXIV Corps, or Era Report 2750, which briefly described them as closely tied to the Star League.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #502 on: 12 June 2014, 10:52:26 »
Newer publications always trump old...
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #503 on: 10 July 2014, 14:47:11 »
Had one or those funny realizations today, after reading this article:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/07/two-of-the-exoplanets-closest-to-earth-dont-actually-exist/

If you look at the earlier illustration of the Gliese 581 system, you'll note that the letters assigned to each planet are not in order of their proximity to their star, but order they were discovered.  I suspect the same may be true for Niops, which would explain how they get three worlds into their narrow habitability zone, that are numbered 5, 6 and 7.  That's just the order they were found in, not their order of proximity from their star.

Should make working out the details of the system way easier under the star system creation rules.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #504 on: 11 July 2014, 16:00:23 »
That doesn't make any sense, though, especially given that recent publications have implied that they were still tied to the Star League and in regular contact, from FM: SLDF indicating there was active trade going on there with the XXXIV Corps, or Era Report 2750, which briefly described them as closely tied to the Star League.

maybe they were cutoff from the star league proper with the coup.. but they had a connection to the SLDF that was seperate from the star league's government?

where was XXXIV corps stationed? maybe they just retained a local connection but lost contact with anyone in the hegemony..

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #505 on: 11 July 2014, 18:02:42 »

More importantly FM:SLDF implies that the Niops Association already existed as an independent Periphery state before the Amaris Coup.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #506 on: 11 July 2014, 18:07:33 »
The XXXIV corp was located in the FWL district 2, HQ was in Chalouba.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #507 on: 11 July 2014, 18:18:17 »
More importantly FM:SLDF implies that the Niops Association already existed as an independent Periphery state before the Amaris Coup.

Which is also exceedingly odd.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #508 on: 11 July 2014, 18:27:43 »
Could just be the support settlements for the science stuff were founded as an incorporated venture, like how a lot of real world colonies were bankrolled.. that would give it a pseudo government right from the start. One made of investors and corporate reps. That would seem to fit the older fluff, iirc.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #509 on: 12 July 2014, 00:21:53 »
Could just be the support settlements for the science stuff were founded as an incorporated venture, like how a lot of real world colonies were bankrolled.. that would give it a pseudo government right from the start. One made of investors and corporate reps. That would seem to fit the older fluff, iirc.

Extremely unlikely, more likely the writer forgot (if not outright ignored) the older fluff when they wrote them in.  None of the real world colonies were meant to be independent of the parent state.  Most importantly large corporations hate when their employees try to rule themselves.   ;)  They might get the crazy idea that they no longer need their superiors who bankrolled the operation.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.